• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub making 'spectacular progress' release date update due 'in the weeks to come

StuBurns

Banned
The amount of PS4 owners who have XBOs is pretty small, I don't think Horizon 2 should matter at all, however, Destiny does. If DC is to be this big social thing, and Destiny is probably the biggest co-op game ever to grace a PlayStation platform, Sony should be considering DCs release in the frame of that. Do you do it at the same time, so people can play a few hours of Destiny, then jump on the + version of DC, then hopefully they'll upgrade, or do you distance them? Not sure, but that's the big game to consider when choosing when to launch I think.
If I'm not mistaken, the original game director was for 30fps+scenery instead of 60fps.
Yeah, and it was certainly pretty in terms of scenery, fully modeled woodland in the distance, etc.

Footos22

They delayed it to add more content. This 60 fps stuff is really just people setting themselves up for disappointment.

You really need to let it go. Games looking well too good graphically to be capable of 60.

Wonder if horizon will get the not 60fps no buy crowd at e3

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The amount of PS4 owners who have XBOs is pretty small, I don't think Horizon 2 should matter at all, however, Destiny does. If DC is to be this big social thing, and Destiny is probably the biggest co-op game ever to grace a PlayStation platform, Sony should be considering DCs release in the frame of that. Do you do it at the same time, so people can play a few hours of Destiny, then jump on the + version of DC, then hopefully they'll upgrade, or do you distance them? Not sure, but that's the big game to consider when choosing when to launch I think.
Yeah, I'm expecting this to hit around September to captitalize on Destiny and promote PS+

I don't expect 60fps, but I am hopeful that the delay will give them enough time to implement the dynamic weather that they'd originally planned for it.

KoopaTheCasual

It's been a spectacle alright...

If I'm not mistaken, the original game director was for 30fps+scenery instead of 60fps.
Idk if we got feedback from the director. We did get word from someone in the art/design team though, right?

But yea, a change in director could definitely change their target to 60fps.

Gestault

SCEE also confirmed that "DRIVECLUB does have a Game Director"

(We are unable to provide her/his name for no particular reason.)

coldfoot

Banned
I'm OK with sub 1080p, but 60fps is a must in a high speed asphalt racer. It's not like on Motorstorm where you really don't go that fast.

Why? Has Forza ever been a huge seller?
Not sure. But I do know Horizon was an incredible game.

I don't know why somebody would choose to go head to head against it. Because if the two come out and I *choose* Horizon, then any purchase of DriveClub is delayed if not postponed indefinitely. That doesn't seem like the kind of risk somebody would purposefully seek out.

30fps can never be butter smooth, you can only somewhat lessen the stuttering with slow movements or heavy motion blur.
Again, Horizon was very smooth and locked down. It can work.

Fredrik

I don't give two craps if it's 60fps. As long as it looks as good as the videos we got in December, I am 100% okay with 30fps.

I hate this entire 60fps thing that everyone is so obsessed with.

Not. Every. Game. Needs. To. Be. 60. Frames. Per. Second.

Not even every racer.

Some genres, like fighting games and first-person shooters, are heavily tied to twitch reactions; so yes, all of those should ideally be 60fps. However, I feel like people threw racing games into that list just because Gran Turismo and Forza have [around] 60fps. It's really not a crucial need for all racing games. Locked 30fps is just fine and dandy. Obviously, like all games, it should have a buttery smooth frame rate, but that doesn't mean it has to be 60.
You want butter smooth framerates but you don't give two craps if it's 30fps. How are you supposed to achieve this?
A racer needs to have an awful sense of speed to give you the illusion of having butter smooth framerate at 30fps, it might be okay once you drive slow and straight but you'll see the details on the road/scenery/spectators etc stutter as soon as you go faster or start to steer. 30fps can never be butter smooth, you can only somewhat lessen the stuttering with slow movements or heavy motion blur. I've been experimenting with the TVs motion effect that smoothes out the stuttering though, but the latency makes it almost impossible to play so I still want 60fps to be fully satisfied.

I don't think it was Gran Turismo or Forza that got people to love 60fps, it didn't come to these series until GT3 and Forza3, but they certainly helped 60fps along once they got there since they were so big. For me it was Sega Rally 2 in the arcades that really got me loving it, Motorhead and Rapid Racer on PS1 got me more interested too, and once DICE released Rallisport Challenge on Xbox I never looked back, I actually ended up boycotting 30fps racers that generation, I was forced back when 360 launched though since PGR3 was The racer to own at that time.

Could care less about 60fps.

I do care about gameplay.

Hoping for the best out of DriveClub as the graphics engine they have created is truly spectacular. We'll see what comes of the gameplay.

Glad to see the socially connected stuff is still front and center as well.

Glad to hear we will be seeing new videos and info shortly!

Don't even know why "going head-2-head with FH" would even be an issue. They're exclusive to 2 different systems. They won't cannibalize each other's sales, except for maybe the few early multi-console owners who are also into racing games. But those people are just as likely to buy both, if they even deem it worth buying the full version of DC over the free PS+ version.

Cygan

Neo Member
I wonder how the finished product will look like.

norway_impact.gif

Don't even know why "going head-2-head with FH" would even be an issue. They're exclusive to 2 different systems. They won't cannibalize each other's sales, except for maybe the few early multi-console owners who are also into racing games. But those people are just as likely to buy both, if they even deem it worth buying the full version of DC over the free PS+ version.
So why do it at all? Whats the point in going head-to-head?

AndyD

aka andydumi
If they're mentioning that they'll announce who is the new Game Director, it doesn't bode well for a release soon. If they've got a new director in Febuary, I don't think they'll have him/her on for only 2-3 months, so I would imagine that their work will last about 5-6 months at leas and would put the date at the back end of 2014, which isn't ideal.

They did say it would be an ongoing project once released with regular updates, so a new director would still have a ton to do long term, even with a soonish release.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm really hoping for a jump to 60, it'll be the difference between buying the game and just playing the + version for me.
Are we even sure they're planning on sticking with that initial deployment plan? Because it always felt like a way to buy more time, and they ended up getting all the time they need, so why stick with what could be a confusing launch.

(Mind you, I still would love to have a sensible F2P package for PS+)

Seanspeed

Banned
They delayed it to add more content. This 60 fps stuff is really just people setting themselves up for disappointment.
Would make sense. There was nothing wrong with its graphics before.

I wonder how content light the original version would have been, though?

StuBurns

Banned
Are we even sure they're planning on sticking with that initial deployment plan? Because it always felt like a way to buy more time, and they ended up getting all the time they need, so why stick with what could be a confusing launch.

(Mind you, I still would love to have a sensible F2P package for PS+)
At the time of the delay, they confirmed it would see be PS+, but I don't think they've said since.

Violater

Great a socially connected title, but is it any good as a racer?
Also you will release the release date in a couple weeks?
People should just stop asking about this game so we can be surprised when they do finish it.
So Disappointed.gif

Danlord

They did say it would be an ongoing project once released with regular updates, so a new director would still have a ton to do long term, even with a soonish release.

That does make sense, so perhaps I can be a little bit more positive in the sense they could release around June/July and the Director would still steer the project for the future post-release developments.

On that note, what are they planning? Seasonal Events and Add-on Car/Track packs? I know it's to be a 'social experience' with it being '#Driveclub' but at that point what would a director be doing that would warrant him/her to be on the project full-time in that regard?

At the time of the delay, they confirmed it would see be PS+, but I don't think they've said since.

Yoshida has mentioned since then that it'll still be a Plus title whenever its released.

I don't think that the delay was strictly due to content reasons. Many of the initial impressions weren't super positive. I don't think anyone was suggesting that it was bad, but it sounded like it was probably going to end up being a game that'd receive 7's. The handling seemed to be the biggest complaint and Evolution has mentioned since then that they've gone through some changes in that area.

It's to benefit console sales, not the sales of the games themselves.
Sorry if I'm dense but I still don't see it.

Is the idea that specifically going head to head with a competitor's game of the same genre is an incentive to buy a console for those who haven't bought a console yet? If so, why is that more of an incentive than the game coming out at any other time of the year - why is it better when competing directly against another title?

It seems like a strategy with more ways to lose than to win, and the win scenario doesn't seem like it'd be reap more rewards than just releasing the game when its not directly opposed.

Fredrik

Again, Horizon was very smooth and locked down. It can work.
It's playable alright but not butter smooth, that's all I'm saying. Horizon aren't any smoother than any other 30fps. You can get used to the stuttering in just about any game if the framerate is locked but if you look for it or if you compare it to a 60fps the illusion crashes down and you're left just as disapponted as always. Try it. Play any 60fps racer. Then any 30fps racer. Pretty graphics doesn't matter, once you see it the result is always the same. Bummer. Disappointment. A stumble on the finish line. So close, yet so far.

It's playable alright but not butter smooth, that's all I'm saying. Horizon aren't any smoother than any other 30fps. You can get used to the stuttering in just about any game if the framerate is locked but if you look for it or if you compare it to a 60fps the illusion crashes down and you're left just as disapponted as always. Try it. Play any 60fps racer. Then any 30fps racer. Pretty graphics doesn't matter, once you see it the result is always the same. Bummer. Disappointment. A stumble on the finish line. So close, yet so far.
Sure, just as I'm sure that 120fps is even better than 60fps when put side to side. But Horizon proved that you could lock it down and still make a solid and buttery smooth experience (when not viewed side to side against 60fps, and when not played immediately after a 60fps game).

I prefer 60fps, absolutely, and especially in racing games, but I think a dev can make 30fps sing if they can keep it consistent. Considering my love for the previous Motorstorm games, Evo has already shown me that they can do so. Those games were never lacking a sense of speed.

Top Bottom