• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately although Evo thinks once you are in you are in, i dont think it is so. I think if you get a free server slot it is fragile.

Joining many other always online games with terrible starts because it is hard to simulate the expected workload prior to launch: Sims, Diablo 3, etc.

Even services to do peak load testing on websites are a fairly new thing (and many are still bogus as they simulate load from a handful of ip addresses).

Omg dude. Turning a tv sharpness setting to max isn't going to help at all.

I like the game, but there are issues with it. The defense force doesn't need to pull out every time someone says something negative about the game. It's not perfect. It's a 6/10 game imo.

Graphical issues (aliasing, AF)
Lack of cars
Lack of diversity of cars (EU cars only, wtf?)
Lack of modes (race, time trail, drift)
Lack of full livery editor
Online/Social system isn't working
Incompetent, blind AI
Penalty system is horrible
Cars all feel too heavy

Excellent sense of speed
Car models are good
Cockpit view is well done
Mini challenges within races mix things up a bit

I agree with the bolded, the rest, nope. Also get your negatives straight, the cockpit mode is not well done due to the FOV and missing HUD. Also cars too heavy? They feel perfect to me.

drift, drift, drift!!!! NO!
in this game there's no drift...
plz Evolution studios, take a look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjp1xjOzJqY

You realize you still have to use the handbrake, right?

Can't join any because the servers are garbage.

3rd days the charm maybe? (Who am I kidding)

it's only going to get worse after everyone else in the world gets the game.

i was thinking, you guys think the 400 or so GAF members adding everyone else onto their friends list broke the game? LOL
the game tracks all your friends' stats and crap..

p3tran

Banned
Glad im not the only one. The cars sound pretty bad. I thought evo claimed the cars sound exactly like thier real life counter parts?

εεε φιλαρακι μου κι εσυ....

Addito salis grano.
Πλίνιος ο Πρεσβύτερος, 23-79 μ.X.

since the old times... ;)

T100 is a T80 with Force Feedback and only marginally more expensive, so that seems to be what you should be going for here.

Force Feedback doesn't really interest me that much so I went with a T80 because I'm a cheapskate. :D It's a great wheel for the price too, esp the pedals (which in this price range are normally downright shit), good pressure and shape.

-edit: Actually, T100 might not be PS4 compatible from my research just now.

-edit2: No, it's not, my bad!

Well that's unfortunate. T80 here in Singapore cost about $199 and $688 for T300RS. I wanna go for T80 but I'm afraid I'll regret my purchase.

I just want to drive McLaren P1 with steering wheel so bad :<

Putty

Well that's unfortunate. T80 here in Singapore cost about $199 and $688 for T300RS. I wanna go for T80 but I'm afraid I'll regret my purchase.

The T100 works with Driveclub, confirmed by Rushy and now by me as thats what im using 8). 2 things are missing which are the PS button, and the share button.

foxbeldin

Too soon?

HEXwcIx.png

Putty

Engine sounds are terrific, recorded in and out of the car. I'm pleased they did'nt mix earthquake sounds into the final mix.

Do not buy a wheel without FFB. (Force feedback)

If you are enthusiastic to want a wheel, chances are you will buy other racing games this gen too.

When Project Cars comes out soon and Gran Turismo Soony, you will enjoy those games so much more with FFB.

people are saying the sound is bad? are their speakers just tin cans?
Sounds great to me, but I've never actually driven these cars to know how true to life they are.

But didn't Evolution go to crazy lengths to get the in-game audio right for each car in the game?

PlayStation Blog said:
Squirreled away in a corner of the sprawling Evolution complex outside Runcorn in the north of England, Audio Manager Alan McDermott and his team have been hard at work building an enormous library of sound effects for the forthcoming PS4 racer. And unlike most games in the genre, every single one of them is 100% bespoke.

&#8220;We did initially look and see if we could buy samples in, and approached manufacturers,&#8221; McDermott tells me. &#8220;But it just wasn&#8217;t good enough for us to do what we wanted to do.&#8221;
Instead, his team has spent the last two and a half year travelling the globe painstakingly recording the sounds of every single car featured in the game.

&#8220;We&#8217;ve been chasing these cars around the world,&#8221; he says. &#8220;There aren&#8217;t that many Pagani Huayras available. They don&#8217;t just send them out on a whim. It&#8217;s in Japan on a Wednesday, it&#8217;ll be in Italy on Saturday&#8230; we chased them. We&#8217;ve gone all out.&#8221;
And when they did track a car down, it wasn&#8217;t just a matter of sticking a mic in the exhaust pipe and pressing record. Evolution has gone to unprecedented lengths to capture a complete picture of what these machines sound like.
&#8220;We used upwards of 16 mics in each car, and in some cases a lot more &#8211; 26, even 27 in one of them,&#8221; insists McDermott.

&#8220;We wanted to bring the engines to life. There&#8217;s a lot of competition out there that has already set the bar for us. We knew how good we had to be and that we had our work cut out. We didn&#8217;t want to be the same as our competitors &#8211; we wanted to take it a step further. It has consumed us completely for the last two and a half years.

And here's the audio trailer they put out at the same time.

FeiRR

Banned
So I was able to join online...

But none of my friends has the game yet and plays it. It seems you can't join randoms for racing (event browser is empty). I wanted to check the online :(

The T100 works with Driveclub, confirmed by Rushy and now by me as thats what im using 8). 2 things are missing which are the PS button, and the share button.

Neat. I used to own Logitech Driving Force GT and I liked the force feedback, so I guess it's time for me to find T100 wheel.

Actually since you already using it do you find any issues with it so far?

Putty

Neat. I used to own Logitech Driving Force GT and I liked the force feedback, so I guess it's time for me to find T100 wheel.

Actually since you already using it do you find any issues with it so far?

Exactly the same, i'd wager this feel a touch better also. I dont really agree with the cheap feel, with the exception of the button and dpad which feel a little to soft and mushy, dont have that classic megadrive dpad feel.

Probably, but I would like to know those references then.

I've been playing Project Cars since it was a pre-alpha (around 2+ years or so?) and the visuals/sounds in DC don't seem overly special to me.

I guess that would be a reason why some can say DC is the best looking racer they've played and I can't.

If the last racer I played was GT6 then of course my judgement would be totally different.

Nyx

Didn't you get the memo? It's all bullshit. Widen your spectrum I say!

Ah, it seems we are in denial!
Not only about the fun racing and the ''ok'' graphics, but the enginesounds as well!

I've been playing Project Cars since it was a pre-alpha (around 2+ years or so?) and the visuals/sounds in DC don't seem overly special to me.

I guess that would be a reason why some can say DC is the best looking racer they've played and I can't.

Ah ok! But that is on PC and I don't feel that is an honest comparison. Shouldn't we compare Project CARS when it's released on the PS4?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
some of the objects in the world look pretty dull close up - especially evident in flyovers. Like they're textured but not lit or have any material shaders at all - eg the rusty train in Chile. Maybe that just stands out because it is overcast or I'm so used to over-use of shaders? Or maybe it is because it is a trackside object you see fleetingly and blurry as you whoosh past. I think Evo might have chosen the angles for the flypasts a bit better, they aren't always flattering.

aro52

Been connected for a solid 20 minutes!

EDIT: But my amigos aren't up to accept my club invites, so no club leveling tonight :/

Engine sounds are good imo.

The ONLY engine sound complaint I have is that when the car is stopped I can't really hear the idling of the engine.

Some cars might have very quiet idle sounds, but some cammy ones must be really rocking! but I can't hear them.. can anyone?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Is it true in what I am hearing on the Giant bombcast? you don't buy cars and have to unlock them in the order the game wants you too? I can't race what cars I want? its just going through a choice of events? and there's no colour choice for cars? its just the colour the game gives you??

if this is all true then WHAT in the world is this game. it sounds archaic!

Vroadstar

Gold Member
This game is gorgeous, the lighting, the car details, the environment, the sound of the cars while racing pure bliss and most of all it's addicting to play. Can't wait for photo mode as it's so hard to capture those beautiful graphics using the screenshot function.

Does any other racer release so far on console even comes close to the graphics this game is putting out? because sometimes it's looks real

Nyx

Is it true in what I am hearing on the Giant bombcast? you don't buy cars and have to unlock them in the order the game wants you too? I can't race what cars I want? its just going through a choice of events? and there's no colour choice for cars? its just the colour the game gives you??

You can change the color for sure, Giant Bomb didn't play much if they claim there is no option for it.

SSReborn

Been connected for a solid 20 minutes!

EDIT: But my amigos aren't up to accept my club invites, so no club leveling tonight :/
Really off topic but: Wow I just took in where Nintendo got Amiigos from. I was sitting here like what does the Nintendo figurines have to do with anything lmao

I literally forgot that word existed in that context.

I just got this last night, I popped it in and when I first saw the visuals I was like " okay, they're good, but not mindblowing" but then I saw the suggestion to turn the transparency of the hud all the way down to better take in the visuals( I don't remember where I saw this though), and all of a sudden the game looks so much better; I didn't realize the hud was so distracting lol. But yeah,I'm playing in cockpit mode with the hud off and there are times when the game looks almost photo realistic. The lighting is super impressive, and I can't help but gawk at the environments now.

Yes, you unlock cars by leveling up and doing other challenges. What exactly is wrong with that? The other stuff is wrong. Did GB really say you can't choose colors or make designs?

Also of course certain events are restricted to certain cars like in every racing game. You want to race a Mini Cooper with a Ferrari?

SSReborn

To change car colour you got to go to garage and customize them from there. They should have allowed you to change the colour independently from the customization menu but alas to late for that. Hopefully it gets patched in. The only positive is the menu's are pretty easy to navigate so it isn't as bad as it could be.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Well I can't drift for shit, so you can always rub that in. Or to be more precise, I can drift, for exactly 1 second.

I'll work on it at some point though ;p

exactly the same for me.
I had no trouble with all the stars so far (level 16), maybe 1 retry on one or to occasions, but the drifting, well, lets say i suck at it.
retried one of the events like 15 times and still havent got 3 stars rating.

unfortunately although Evo thinks once you are in you are in, i dont think it is so. I think if you get a free server slot it is fragile..
its definately not liek evo thinks.
Ive been online 2 times but was kicked out only a few minutes after.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
You can change the color for sure, Giant Bomb didn't play much if they claim there is no option for it.

SO i can choose what ever colour I want for the car. Not livery stickers. just straight up normal colours. Cool. i don't know what they are on about. Jeff made this game sound completely bad to be fair, I'm looking forward to giving it a go but i feel bad for the people that pre ordered it. It's a mess of a game right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom