• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there rubberbanding in the multiplayer?

I've only managed a few online races and all ran smoothly with no sign of rubber-banding for me.

And to me online has been a real surprise with all the other racers actually driving really well with no bumper cars and corner slamming which I think can be put down to the great implementation of the braking lines and drift corners, requiring people to slow down if they want to earn the pts.

At this point i am just morbidly curious about the game and may buy it to satisfy that curiosity.

The negative reviews have me saying pass, but all the people comparing it to classic arcade racers with a unique handling model to master have me interested.

rnaud

Played with the music for a little bit, and I just turned it off again, the sound of the cars is just too good. I don't want to cover it.

Navid

Managed to get through and finish the Amateur series, but now need to grab some shuteye...

Really enjoy the handling and how on edge it can feel at times through the high speed sweeping corner section, really need to be brave to keep your foot down. Can see the AI getting a bit annoying in the later difficulties though with how protective they are of their lines.

psn

Wow, I made it into the Gametrailers comparison... Im the guy on the bottom of the notification list. Wohoo
Pc6hvg.jpg

Played with the music for a little bit, and I just turned it off again, the sound of the cars is just too good. I don't want to cover it.

agreed! I think I may let the music volume creep up during online races but I prefer it at 0 volume. The cars sound just too good.

At this point i am just morbidly curious about the game and may buy it to satisfy that curiosity.

The negative reviews have me saying pass, but all the people comparing it to classic arcade racers with a unique handling model to master have me interested.
buy it buy it buy it

My favorite racing games of the Ps2 gen were Midnight Club 3 and Burnout 3 and then no racing games last gen ever took hold of me, tried Burnout Paradise, the mainline Forzas, Forza Horizon, GT5, and one of the Need for Speeds and they didn't resonate. This though, oh man. If they added in some more visual customization, had a more diverse car selection and managed to get the online actually working...

Hawk269

How would that be possible? Since your opponents are the human type of AI..

lol. Don't know how you replied without laughing your ass off.

I think he meant if they have a catch up option to make on-line races close. It is something some older racers use to have.

SHEF

I stayed up in the UK to play 90 minutes tonight and really like it. I haven't loved any racing games since PGR3/4 and this is as close as it gets to having PGR back from first impressions. I wasn't blown away by the graphics at first but as you play on you really start to take notice and appreciate them more. The lighting is so realistic, any sunlight and glare provides a bigger challenge than the AI early on.

The career was fairly easy for the entire rookie section, I got all the challenges done and unlocked 9 trophies in the process and it was all a lot of fun. If the AI ramps up now which I assume it will I might start having some tougher races for 1st place so was a good place to leave it for the night.

The servers were down for the first hour but managed to connect for the second and it didn't disconnect once connected; hope they can get it fixed for the weekend. I only played single player though and no leaderboards ever loaded, just a spinning loading circle so made no difference for me other than the annoying red warning message not popping up constantly.

But for £35 for the PS+ upgrade I'm really glad I bought it.

I'm just not good at this game. I'm getting really frustrated. I've not got first place in a single event and the one I'm on now I've tried 5 or 6 times and I can't even get in the top 3.

I've never had this issue with arcade racers where I can get 1st pretty easy. I guess that arcades style is just more suited towards me. :(

Well... the game is not a purely arcade racer, so that might be the problem. You need to be at least a little technical in some corners and regarding the gears (if you play on manual). Have you tried to decrease the difficulty settings? Race on amateur... or beginner, I don't remember what the options are.

DOWN

Banned
I'm just not good at this game. I'm getting really frustrated. I've not got first place in a single event and the one I'm on now I've tried 5 or 6 times and I can't even get in the top 3.

I've never had this issue with arcade racers where I can get 1st pretty easy. I guess that arcades style is just more suited towards me. :(

Online events or solo?

I know a lot of people in here are frustrated, but I've seen enough interviews with Rushy to feel like he's a genuinely nice guy, and I am confident his team is doing everything they can to get things working.

I also understand people have a right to be angry that the thing they paid for isn't working.

With that said, I think there's enough anger out there at Evolution that I don't really need to contribute. I tweeted my support to him and wished them luck fixing everything, I encourage anyone here who wants to, to do the same. You can tweet @Rushy33 or @Driveclub.

People forget that even though this is a company making a game for profit, the individual people are still humans and they have feelings too. Calling them scum and liars is still pretty cruel.

Just my 2 cents.

Well said. I did my part by tweeting my good thoughts about this game to Rushy and Driveclub twitter page. I hope they can resolve this issues soon!

-Snooze-

Banned
Graphics aren't very impressive to be honest, although th3 environments are very very pretty. Game seems very bare bones though so I fully understand the mixed scores. Few months from now it'll be an excellent package

mreddie

Finally got it on Gamefly and after getting though the Rookie Cup, I'm glad to say I like it. Not love it but like it enough it could be my racing game of choice this year and get the pass.

Visuals are great, handling smooth, AI...
Assholes
. Tracks are cool and old school. I wish we could just choose our paint for individual cars instead of being for all cars.

Other than that, if you're on the fence still, wait til the PS+ version finally goes up.

KalBalboa

Banned
Anyone here using Music Unlimited? Or, if you're like me, using the free month of Music Unlimited premium thanks to the Android app?

After making a playlist the other day with PlayStation racer inspired tunes, I was wondering if there was a way to share the playlist for others to use.

VanWinkle

Online events or solo?

Solo. I just have a hard time getting hang of the handling. :( I think it was mostly one event that is just driving me crazy, because I just got back on and a got first in a couple of events and generally did better.

It's just that I'm almost completely used to arcade racing so the [relatively] far more sim-like nature of the handling is hard for me to get used to.

First post on gaf, proud to be in DC thread.

Game ticked all points I like:

Graphics (check)
Closed tracks (check)
Dynamic everything (check)
great handling and gameplay (check)

I read most reviews with a huge grin in my face because I expected the unreasonable backlash, and knew that DC will be judge over something it didn't intend to do at all.

I bought the game and it actually exceeded my expectation, gameplay is very addictive and challenging.

Good job Evo.

From the races I've played and watched, it appears the AI are slow at the corners and fast on the straights.

You should be able to outpace them if you are faster at the corners. They're slow in the corners because the decelerate to much, but if you're drifting through corners you will be even slower and have less traction to accelerate out.

I feel now Evolution did themselves a disservice not providing some kind of training level. If you take the corners well: let go of the gas, turn into the corner, and accelerate out, you can make up a lot of ground against the AI.

Some people have been complaining about "stickiness" that's because these cars are tuned to race, meaning you can take corners pretty tightly, practice at finding the point you can push the car through a corner without over slipping.

Solo. I just have a hard time getting hang of the handling. :( I think it was mostly one event that is just driving me crazy, because I just got back on and a got first in a couple of events and generally did better.

It's just that I'm almost completely used to arcade racing so the [relatively] far more sim-like nature of the handling is hard for me to get used to.
Try other car too if you don't like the handling of a car. I was stuck on a medal until i tried different car and somehow got it on first try

First post on gaf, proud to be in DC thread.

Game ticked all points I like:

Graphics (check)
Closed tracks (check)
Dynamic everything (check)
great handling and gameplay (check)

I read most reviews with a huge grin in my face because I expected the unreasonable backlash, and knew that DC will be judge over something it didn't intend to do at all.

I bought the game and it actually exceeded my expectation, gameplay is very addictive and challenging.

Good job Evo.
Welcome!

Man, I've seriously fallen in love with the Audi's in this game. They handle like an absolute dream. The R8 and the TT RS <3

VanWinkle

From the races I've played and watched, it appears the AI are slow at the corners and fast on the straights.

You should be able to outpace them if you are faster at the corners. They're slow in the corners because the decelerate to much, but if you're drifting through corners you will be even slower and have less traction to accelerate out.

I feel now Evolution did themselves a disservice not providing some kind of training level. If you take the corners well: let go of the gas, turn into the corner, and accelerate out, you can make up a lot of ground against the AI.

Some people have been complaining about "stickiness" that's because these cars are tuned to race, meaning you can take corners pretty tightly, practice at finding the point you can push the car through a corner without over slipping.

Try other car too if you don't like the handling of a car. I was stuck on a medal until i tried different car and somehow got it on first try

Thanks guys. I will keep this stuff in mind.

Hoje0308

Banned

This is a good strategy for beginners, but more aggressive driving makes even the races on Legend difficulty a piece of cake. Dive in as deep as you dare, trail off the brakes, then grab as much throttle as you can and off you go. I've done plenty of time trials to compare styles and, not only is clean racing slower in this game, it also provides fewer chances for opportunistic overtakes.

i've been trying to join the club invitations I have, but you know, the servers are kind of shit.

If i do get a connection, none of the club stuff loads, besides to tell me i have 2 invitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom