• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaDL50

Viveks, I know the gifs are cool and all, but it's making it's making the topic a bit sluggish.

I believe this is the first time my web browsing has been encumbered and I'm on broadband no less.

Still the nightshot with the fireworks and the Aston Martin is awesome stuff.

Ploid 3.0

If Polyphony don't work with Evo, or at least be inspired by their lighting system, something is terribly wrong. Ok maybe it could be too late for GT7 but it better be like this for GT8. All weather, all lighting, no worrying with prebake stuff, or effects like ambient occlusion to emulate natural lighting.

DOWN

Banned
DC5.gif

http://gifyu.com/images/DC6.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="viveks86, post: 132924494"][IMG]http://gifyu.com/images/DC7.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/788893f3b22e351b0da5a996acfa9846/tumblr_mwp2g0tk9a1rj6peio5_500.gif

I get filthy with that liquor
give it to me

Codeblew

Viveks, I know the gifs are cool and all, but it's making it's making the topic a bit sluggish.

I believe this is the first time my web browsing has been encumbered and I'm on broadband no less.

Just give the page 10 minutes to load.

If Polyphony don't work with Evo, or at least be inspired by their lighting system, something is terribly wrong. Ok maybe it could be too late for GT7 but it better be like this for GT8. All weather, all lighting, no worrying with prebake stuff, or effects like ambient occlusion to emulate natural lighting.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned with what PD will do. Seriously, this is what they were capable of doing with lighting during the last gen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

I'm not sure why people are so concerned with what PD will do. Seriously, this is what they were capable of doing with lighting during the last gen

Pretty much.

Polyphony is by no means inferior to the best in the industry in terms of wizard-class tech. Their main issue really, are what people deem to be what they prioritize, compared to their peers in the industry.

Ploid 3.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

Oh I know they're masters of lighting, I mean this type of dynamic throw anything at it lighting (if they aren't messing with something like it already). Clouds, sun angles, water reflections, car paint layers, and so on. It almost seem like it take out a lot of work trying to make things look right lighting wise. 24 hour Nurburgring was very pretty and effective though, even the infamous blue LFA picture from the GT5 thread looking so real. It just seem like the system in Driveclub can have anything thrown at it and look natural. Night racing with the light hitting a fence and the sharp shadow hitting the trees behind it, with the fence and signs looking as if they are glowing due to the exposure and strength of the beams for example.

Also they wouldn't have to work hard on the day night cycle per track as it seem the case was for GT5.

Game4life

Banned
For all of the studio's problems I dont think PD has anything to worry about from a lighting perspective. PD is one of the best in class when it comes to lighting. Very few studios in the world can touch them in that department.

viveks86

Sorry. Went a little overboard there. Took a shower. I'm ok now. No more GIFs

Until the next awesome video

Without having to go through the last several pages, are there any early impressions/writeups on the game? Eager to hear from those who have it already.

Game4life

Banned
Uh that looks basic as hell
nothing stunning about it, perhaps because it's competent last gen, but it doesn't say that it will iterate into the graphical tier of driveclub.

There was no racing game last gen where the lighting came close to GT's. PD is incompetent in a few areas but lighting was top notch.

benzy

Uh that looks basic as hell
nothing stunning about it, perhaps because it's competent last gen, but it doesn't say that it will iterate into the graphical tier of driveclub.

You're really undermining the fact that PD is the fist dev to create a fully dynamic and realistic looking 24h lighting cycle at near 60fps, and that was on last gen hardware with memory bottlenecks. The game even had a native resolution of 1280x1080. PC sims lighting didn't catch up until pCars, which still isn't complete yet. Evo's last-gen Motorstorm games looked good but they were also 30fps and their lighting engine wasn't as advanced.

If we're talking purely a realistic imagery on screen comparison, you're underestimating PD. In terms of asset quality and how detail packed the environments are compared to Driveclub, I could understand some doubt.

efysox.gif

Conduit

Banned
You're really undermining the fact that PD is the fist dev to create a fully dynamic and realistic looking 24h lighting cycle at near 60fps, and that was on last gen hardware with memory bottlenecks. The game even had a native resolution of 1280x1080. PC sims lighting didn't catch up until pCars, which still isn't complete yet. Evo's last-gen Motorstorm games looked good but they were also 30fps and their lighting engine wasn't as advanced.

If we're talking purely a realistic imagery on screen comparison, you're underestimating PD. In terms of asset quality and how detail packed the environments are compared to Driveclub, I could understand some doubt.

Yep! GT5 was really ahead of his time. That online races with day/night cycle and weather. Damn! Can't wait what Kazunori will do with GT7. Driveclub is just the start!

ibyAZDpSr0zHfm.gif

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

OmegaDL50

The gifs are amazing.

And that video earlier with the Awolnation music with the Spyker Aileron.

While on the subject of PD and Gran Turismo. Yes I agree Evolution Studios should share their tech with PD in terms of lighting, car and track detail.

However Kaz has apparently said that standard cars in GT7 are a thing which makes me wonder if it's truly worth it.

I mean even going from GT2 to GT3 all of the assets were abandoned and PD started anew and expanded upon it further in GT4.

Using Kudosprime as a reference for Gran Turismo 6's car lists. Just counting Premium Cars alone and none of the standards there is 457 Premium models in total. (minus the 25 Anniversary edition cars, then the number is really 432 premiums)

http://www.kudosprime.com/gt6/carlist.php?quality=P

So say by the time GT7 rolls around and they manage to create another 150 to 300 additional Premium cars then that would give them almost 600 to 750 cars total.

I would think 750 cars is more then enough, especially if some of the old favorites such as the Supra Mk. IV, the RUF models, Ford RS Cosworth, or Touring Race cars like the Mercedes 190E Evo II get Premium treatment.

PD working with Evolution would be mutually beneficial but It's debatable if such a collaboration would happen.

Been away all day-- did you guys see the video on reddit of the MP match where the opponent is constantly bumping into the player and spinning them out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TAuKsRvq8

Super annoying.

I hear in GT5, most racers would play with class and were serious enough to play fairly. I expect the same out of the DC, right? I mean, I assume at least GAF matches will be nice and ordered.

I would hate to think that dirty players would get away with playing so. Hopefully there ends up being some rating system, or maybe it would be possible to make larger penalties for purposely colliding? I still think races should be judged on total Fame points, which take into account how well you drive in addition to your standing

I'm sure Evolution is going to do DriveClub 2 after this, but god damn, could you imagine a new Motorstorm? Delicious.

I need to see this Driveclub engine in dense city environments though, with all the neon and moody lighting they can muster. Unless we're getting a huge city expansion, I, for one, say Motorstorm can wait until after Driveclub 2: The Streets

bebop242

I keep waffling between keeping my gamestop preorder and canceling it to take advantage of the cheaper PS+ price and the 15 for 100 deal on PSN.

Are the gamestop preorder bonuses exclusive or are they just early unlocks?

Coen

OT: is there a way to stop animated gifs from loading on my mobile browser (chrome for android), preferably by displaying a start button on the first frame? I can't visit threads like these on mobile internet.

Been away all day-- did you guys see the video on reddit of the MP match where the opponent is constantly bumping into the player and spinning them out?

Wait is that twitter tidus?

probably not.

Anyway I was wondering about this and it is the bane of multiplayer racers. Determining who is at fault and penalising them, not the victim, is not trivial and holes can be found in any "reasonably ok" method.

I doubt Driveclub has a sure-fire way other than racing with people you know and trust just jumping into random multiplayer games might not be a thing many want to do - unless you enjoy getting trolled.

viveks86

OT: is there a way to stop animated gifs from loading on my mobile browser (chrome for android), preferably by displaying a start button on the first frame? I can't visit threads like these on mobile internet.

Can't put a start button, but you can disable images altogether. Which is how I generally browse gaf when on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom