• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

farmerboy

It blew me away, for example, when nailing the first Venom HL that braking early and punishing the accelerator early out of a corner was faster than trying to carry speed into a corner. It felt wrong, but somehow it worked!

Shaneus, I love you. When I read this yesterday it encouraged me to have another crack (using your advice) at the Venom Hot Lap 1.

Lo and behold, 1:15:976 if I remember correctly. Sounds a bit nerdy, but I haven't been this happy about a videogame achievement in a long time, I was rapt.

I will have to buy you a beer sometime.

Any tips for Venom Hot Lap 2?

Only one that sort of worries me is the drifting trophy. Might have to grind for that since I usually don't drift during races.

You could go for another. You only have to get one accolade for every mode mentioned in the trophy list. Overtaking and drafting could go quicker.

desu

You could go for another. You only have to get one accolade for every mode mentioned in the trophy list. Overtaking and drafting could go quicker.

I think he means the 1m drift points trophy. Worst case a few rounds in a time trial solo event grinding 10k points a round. Should be super quick.

Shaneus

That's a noteworthy point. There must be a minimum threshold for these face offs. Beating ridiculously low scores does not feel rewarding at all. So your reaction to it is justified.
On that note, I would love it if we could adjust what face-offs we see. Mostly because the average speed and racing line ones actually go towards improving how you drive, but the drift ones don't (and I can't tell you the number of challenges I've seen in single figures that I've just never gone for).

Rushy, can we have an option to choose which types of challenges we see? If I can turn off drift ones, I would be happy :)

Because it isn't just about winning or losing the face off. The low score itself is kind of pointless and might as well be 0 since you can beat it if you remotely tried. The issue with such scores is that the first time you take up any course, you have no good face offs until you do a lap or retry. And the issue is exacerbated for p2p tracks. That is not how the game should present itself the first time. It's a very minor complaint, but a valid one

EDIT:

A better approach would be to show the top score for the section the first time and then adjust it based on what you actually end up getting. That would also be in line with how time trials and drift ghosts work.
Or this. But I'd rather just disable them completely. No need to replace them with something else, just let me disable them.

Shaneus, I love you. When I read this yesterday it encouraged me to have another crack (using your advice) at the Venom Hot Lap 1.

Lo and behold, 1:15:976 if I remember correctly. Sounds a bit nerdy, but I haven't been this happy about a videogame achievement in a long time, I was rapt.

I will have to buy you a beer sometime.

Any tips for Venom Hot Lap 2?
Haven't even reached that one yet, but I'm glad I could be of assistance nonetheless!

Let this be a long-term lesson: Don't think the way you're taking a corner or part of the track is always the fastest. Challenge your instincts! I can't tell you the number of seemingly impossible ghosts I've seen in challenges that I've smashed merely because I took a corner completely differently from how they did.

Darien

@Rushy

Special car request for Japan DLC. Pretty please.

Nb557qM.jpg

Shaneus

There aren't any really old (as in, 10+ years) cars in Driveclub yet, are there? This would be my wishlist/prediction for car DLC (assuming we'd get, say, probably 7-8 new cars):

1998 Honda NSX Alex Zanardi Edition
2015 Honda NSX (be great if they could get it as a timed exclusive)
2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo
2015 Subaru BRZ
2015 Lancer Evo 10 Final Concept
2015 Subaru Impreza WRX
(either) 1994-1999 Toyota Celica ST205 GTFOUR or 1989-1993 Toyota Celica ST205 ST185 (but unlikely, because they're kinda pissweak)
2001 Mazda RX7 Bathurst R

Edit: Oh, I didn't realise that was the 2015/2016 NSX that was posted. Yes, I'll have that, thanks.

Shaneus

I was gonna say to add the 2016 Ford GT but realized that it's probably a Forza exclusive. Dang.
Nah, I doubt it. It's rare that anything's exclusive for more than a few months if at all (save for Porsche). But I was more focusing on Japan cars given there's a sore lacking of them and it's likely we'll get a good number of them for the Japan DLC.

It's a bit of a shame there's such a solid focus on recent cars, too. I'd love to hoon around in a Lancia Delta, but I honestly don't think we'll see anything pre-2000. Not a fault with the designers or design philosophy or anything, just wishful thinking.

Oh, I'm positive we'll get some Lambo love in the future too.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Only need 2 more trophies to Platinum this sucker, be at the top of a Challenge when it expires and have 5 Challenges unbeaten. :-/

Shaneus

Only need 2 more trophies to Platinum this sucker, be at the top of a Challenge when it expires and have 5 Challenges unbeaten. :-/
Do the challenges have to be with any more than a number of people? Send some to me and just tell me which ones, I'll do a low score in each. And make them short so you dont have to wait :)

nib95

Banned
So I gave the first Venom Hot Lap another go in preparation for the new one, managed to snag a 1:15.183 in just a few tries. Guess I'm better than I used to be at the game, because only a few weeks ago it was hard enough for me to just get the last star lol.

Side note, the Redline Ferrari Speciale Challenge is just insanely fun. This cars lively handling coupled with the number of hairpins, tight turns and huge amount of elevation changes, just makes it nigh on roller coaster like lol. Video of a lap here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOm1c6W1NrU&feature=youtu.be

T_Exige

You can send those challenges to me too, I'll send 5 in return. (message me and I will set a low score)

It is the final trophy I need to get 100%

xrnzaaas

Only one that sort of worries me is the drifting trophy. Might have to grind for that since I usually don't drift during races.

One million drift points trophy is easy. Just pick an event where you can earn about 8000-10000 points and go at it. Accolades trophy will force you to do a lot more grinding. I recommend repeating shortest possible drift events (like the one with the bridge in India) for the event accolade and overtaking for the gameplay accolade (chooose a short circuit with a one lap race and a good car so you'll overtake all of your opponents or at least most of them before the finish line).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Do the challenges have to be with any more than a number of people? Send some to me and just tell me which ones, I'll do a low score in each. And make them short so you dont have to wait :)

Cheers, I'll let ya know. Not a fan of boosting, prefer to earn them the legit way. B-)

Shaneus

Cheers, I'll let ya know. Not a fan of boosting, prefer to earn them the legit way. B-)
Well, chances are if you send me a challenge I won't be able to beat it anyway ;)

And I have a hunch that was one of the trophies that's really touchy to get activated? Pretty sure Rushy said it'll get fixed, so it may just be a matter of waiting.

Well, chances are if you send me a challenge I won't be able to beat it anyway ;)

And I have a hunch that was one of the trophies that's really touchy to get activated? Pretty sure Rushy said it'll get fixed, so it may just be a matter of waiting.

Yeah I'm sure it's flaky tbh, I know I've beaten friends in over 10 challenges that I've sent and still no trophy yet.

CozMick

Banned
Yeah I'm sure it's flaky tbh, I know I've beaten friends in over 10 challenges that I've sent and still no trophy yet.

Ive posted this at least 2 times :p

"It's bugged, there is a workaround though.

Send a challenge, at least 1 person has to attempt it other than you, win the challenge, make sure you're in the "ongoing" challenges menu when the timer expires.

Tadaaaaaa. :)"

There aren't any really old (as in, 10+ years) cars in Driveclub yet, are there? This would be my wishlist/prediction for car DLC (assuming we'd get, say, probably 7-8 new cars):

2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo
2015 Subaru BRZ
2015 Subaru Impreza WRX
(either) 1994-1999 Toyota Celica ST205 GTFOUR or 1989-1993 Toyota Celica ST205 ST185 (but unlikely, because they're kinda pissweak)

Edit: Oh, I didn't realise that was the 2015/2016 NSX that was posted. Yes, I'll have that, thanks.

The Mclaren F1 in the game is 22 years old, so that definitely applies.

Current GAF EU Club look.

Is there a limit to the number of people you can have in a club, and if not can I possibly get an invite to the Gaf club? I've only just started it and played about six races, but now I've completed Infamous I'll be able to put more time into Driveclub.

Ive posted this at least 2 times :p

"It's bugged, there is a workaround though.

Send a challenge, at least 1 person has to attempt it other than you, win the challenge, make sure you're in the "ongoing" challenges menu when the timer expires.

Tadaaaaaa. :)"

Ah thank you, will give that a go tonight then and see how I get on.

I must've tried the 'Pagani Drift' event no fewer than 15 times, and I just couldn't get the 7200 points. So I start yet another run, and things are going very well, I have around 6000 points before the last corner, and just as I drift over the line, the taste of victory in my mouth, I get a 'this application has encountered an error and will now close' message.

TKQhkZx.gif

So then I restart the game back up and get 7800 points on my first go.

SANDCASTLES.png

So I gave the first Venom Hot Lap another go in preparation for the new one, managed to snag a 1:15.183 in just a few tries. Guess I'm better than I used to be at the game, because only a few weeks ago it was hard enough for me to just get the last star lol.

Side note, the Redline Ferrari Speciale Challenge is just insanely fun. This cars lively handling coupled with the number of hairpins, tight turns and huge amount of elevation changes, just makes it nigh on roller coaster like lol. Video of a lap here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOm1c6W1NrU&feature=youtu.be

Very nice lap nibs, especially from that viewpoint! It's great fun ragging that car around that track.

Edit: Just thought, when replay mode arrives we can all pretend we managed to do our best laps from the in car view :)

nib95

Banned
Is there a limit to the number of people you can have in a club, and if not can I possibly get an invite to the Gaf club? I've only just started it and played about six races, but now I've completed Infamous I'll be able to put more time into Driveclub.

Would have sent you an invite, but unfortunately the club is full right now. I believe each club is permitted up to 6 players including the club owner. If anyone stops playing altogether, or drops out for whatever reason, I'll throw you an invite.

My PSN is NIBZY if you want to add me.

Very nice lap nibs, especially from that viewpoint! It's great fun ragging that car around that track.

Edit: Just thought, when replay mode arrives we can all pretend we managed to do our best laps from the in car view :)

Cheers dude. I used to mostly use road cam for time trials, and dash cam for racing, but for the sake of visibility, immersion, fun, and better videos (lol) I've started using the cockpit view now. In all honesty once you get used to it, it's fine. I still find that the dash cam gives the closest to real life feel though, but water streams are just too overbearing in that view, especially in vehicles like the Zonda R.

Thanks, although I just searched for NIBZY on my phone and couldn't find you? I'm Telminator-2. Anyway, don't worry about it as I'll try to find another club to join.

viveks86

Would have sent you an invite, but unfortunately the club is full right now. I believe each club is permitted up to 6 players including the club owner. If anyone stops playing altogether, or drops out for whatever reason, I'll throw you an invite.

My PSN is NIBZY if you want to add me.

Look who's here! :)

Moozo

Just bought the Elements pack yesterday. I love how the dynamic weather changes the handling. You have to really assess the situation to work out how hard you can push, and when it's easing off how soon you can gun it again. The best part is that the AI speeds are pretty well matched. In so many racing games their wet times will either be too quick or too slow.

It does make me think though that they'd be absolutely mental not to release a 'grand prix' or endurance pack with some 15+ lap races, with some longer circuit maps too. 20 lap Caterham circuit race with dynamic weather would be amazing. And while they're at it they need to put endurance races in muiltiplayer more often.

Which brings me to another thing - the online REALLY needs playlist selection. I kind of get the events viewer idea, but it's so frustrating to be limited to what Evo have decided they want you to play on a given week.

Just bought the Elements pack yesterday. I love how the dynamic weather changes the handling. You have to really assess the situation to work out how hard you can push, and when it's easing off how soon you can gun it again. The best part is that the AI speeds are pretty well matched. In so many racing games their wet times will either be too quick or too slow.

It does make me think though that they'd be absolutely mental not to release a 'grand prix' or endurance pack with some 15+ lap races, with some longer circuit maps too. 20 lap Caterham circuit race with dynamic weather would be amazing. And while they're at it they need to put endurance races in muiltiplayer more often.

Which brings me to another thing - the online REALLY needs playlist selection. I kind of get the events viewer idea, but it's so frustrating to be limited to what Evo have decided they want you to play on a given week.
Fragmentation is why. As long as the events are varied on any given day and from day-to-day it shouldn't be a problem.

Fragmentation is why. As long as the events are varied on any given day and from day-to-day it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to see entry restrictions on some of the servers, so there could be races for the new guys as they don't stand a chance with their limited range of cars and track knowledge. I'd also like to see ranked servers where your start position is dictated by your lap time on that track rather than the current random grid slot - the best races are the ones where you battle closely against your opposition but despite being very evenly matched with one of my club mates it's quite rare that this occurs as one of us tends to start at the back of the grid and the other is at the front. By the time you've battled through the pack the gap is just insurmountable.

AndyD

aka andydumi

2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo
2015 Subaru BRZ
2015 Subaru Impreza WRX

We may get some of those but likely 13-14 versions, which are more or less the same. I want the Furai concept. Eye catching for sure,

Gonna pick this up, just wondering though, If I don't have PS+ but my brothers account does, can I still buy the 39.99 version on my account and have it work fine? It's available to download and buy but just want to make sure before I put 40 on my account or should I just get it on his account?

Gonna pick this up, just wondering though, If I don't have PS+ but my brothers account does, can I still buy the 39.99 version on my account and have it work fine? It's available to download and buy but just want to make sure before I put 40 on my account or should I just get it on his account?

You can get a physical copy for less than that if you shop around.

Strider

So I picked this up last night and starting playing it today. I'm not normally into racing games but the pretty gifs sold me on the game
along with the descriptions of the car handling/gameplay.
I've done a few of the tour events and def think I made the right choice picking this up. The driving itself is clicking with me far more than a game like Forza and it's making it more enjoyable.

I downloaded all the free DLC I could find but not gonna lie... The element courses are pretty tempting :p

One thing I noticed is some of the cars don't seem to unlock unless you are in a club and reach a certain club level. Sooo does anyone have an extra slot by any chance? Figured it's a long shot buy why not ask.

Auctopus

Finally got the "be at the top of the leaderboard when a solo challenge expires" trophy top pop after countless bugs or non-pops. Now to just get the 5 attempts one to not bug out the platinum is mine.

Top Bottom