• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

kiguel182

One year delay plus this reviews doesn't bode well for the studio. Sony and the team must be bummed out.

The leading up to it seemed pretty promising but I guess it fell flat. It's a shame.

What the freaking heck. I was totally digging everyone's reactions as they started playing last night. I have no idea what other reviewers are thinking. I guess I can read some things and shake my head after a little while.

My GameTrailers Review for those who missed it - 8.6 (am I going to be the highest or what?) http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/hk4dfa/driveclub-review
Thank you Blood for your review. Will definitely be checking it out. My understanding is that your the driving expert at GT so it should be a good critical analysis of the game.

Betty

Banned
To be honest no one really has strong holiday first party lineup right now (well maybe Nintendo if you are new to the console). It looks like 2015 will be the year we finally see that change.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Getting a Wii U for the holiday season is mighty tempting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Who exactly made the quote? are you looking at that?
I see it was made by a website I've never followed. Just don't know if the Website watermarked their quote on it, or if Sony is citing them for an ad. Or if someone else is citing them (fan made).

I can't believe that's official. Haha that Sony confidence...

Oh well... Sony can still cite BioGamerGirl!

Reminds me of the N64 and PS1 days. Where reviews were pretty harsh. Can't say I don't like it.

Maybe people will stop thinking a 7/10 is a bad game again.

Yeah. I'm definitely seeing a philosophical shift in scoring this gen.

That's a good thing.

Synth

I have Knack, beaten it and had a great time with it, so, yeah. Can't comment on Ryse, don't have XB1

I have Ryse, and it also. But basically that doesn't mean reviews should be expected to feel the same way. OT's in general are filled with people that will like a game more than the average person.

Blackage

I thought the game would probably be a 7-8 title, then they delayed it a year which made me think a year of polish would amount to an 8-9 or so. Surprised it's still a 7-8. -_- It does look pretty dry from the gameplay I've seen, but there are a bunch of games like that people love, so I guess I shouldn't hold it against my personal preferences, probably still gonna pass on it.

LifEndz

I like Jeff. I like Giantbomb, but watching this is infuriating. How is he not clear on what ps+ subscribers get? It hasn't been mixed messaging, it's been crystal clear, and he simply and obviously hasn't even tried to find an answer to that question, because it's out there in the open for anyone that wants to know. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, right off the bat they sound like they know nothing about the game. I'd think a reviewer would do just a bit of research to at least find what's in the plus version prior to writing a review or doing a quick look on the game. Hell, I've watched streamers that were more informed about the game.

ValeYard

I've preordered digitally - yey for my fiscal prudence ;) - but I'm not letting the reviews faze me, especially after Destiny, a game I still love to play that reviewers loved to gripe about.

On the bright side, no review says it's broken, and the graphics seem to be praised a lot. When watching the trailer leading up to release, I just felt like the team behind this game seemed like great people with passion for their work and, thus, deserving support.

Footos22

Its not scoring too bad. Especially this gen when reviewers seem to be more harsh then ever before.

Between a 7 and a 7.5 is about all i expected tbh.

Will still get it down the road but ill stick with Horizonfor now until i get bored of that as i tend to do quickly with most racing games apart from pgr3 and split second.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks like it will be a 7ish (?)

Can't go wrong with trying the Plus version though.

I'm not sure where I am with my PS4 purchase though. I was set on getting one when Alien and DriveClub hit, but I might try Alien on my 'cloud PC' instead now. On the other hand I still do want to throw a car around with DC's tracks and rendering.

Microsoft is successful doing this, but I agree, they should spend this money in other genres.

But you'll notice that Microsoft's two racing games look completely different from one another. The strange thing about Driveclub from the very beginning is how similar it looked to Sony's other first party racer. I've heard lots of members of the gaming press refer to Driveclub as a sim racer, like GT, and I don't blame them for that. Watching a clip of the game would give you no indication it's different.

SgtCobra

I predicted a metascore of under-75, so yes, i nailed it.
It's not over yet, it could end up at 76
laugh.gif

Scores are exactly what I expected. Game is one of the best looking games of all times graphics wise. But if that's all you have and nothing else.. well, graphics alone don't make a great game.

And LOL at Polygon.

edit.. "PlayStation Universe" 95. ha ha.

Abriael

Banned
What the freaking heck. I was totally digging everyone's reactions as they started playing last night. I have no idea what other reviewers are thinking. I guess I can read some things and shake my head after a little while.

My GameTrailers Review for those who missed it - 8.6 (am I going to be the highest or what?) http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/hk4dfa/driveclub-review

Welcome to the club of those that actually know and like racing games and good driving models, and not just cruising around games (which are great on their own, but they're not the be all end all of driving) :D

You beat me by 0.1 point, but still. Glad to see someone else that reviewed the game and not its hype.

Sounds like the rumors of it being originally intended and designed as a F2P title for launch feel a bit true from the universal complaints of a dearth of content. Also sounds like it should not have been a full-priced racer at $60. No wonder they were doing everyone a favor by getting rid of microtransactions when all they were really doing was dropping the pretense of it being a full-fledged retail product that happens to have the same price and same expectations of worthwhile DLC.

tusken77

Generally solid scores. Hell, even Polygon gave it a 7.5. I knew it would suffer a bit from things missing at launch, but the game is only going to get stronger with the future additions and the large community aspect thanks to PS+. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

RK128

So, the game that got pushed back a year still isn't amazing :l?

Oh well :); at least their is a the PS+ Version people can try to out see if they like it or not :D.

Really is a shame that it is reviewing so badly :(; Evolution did very solid work with the MotorStorm games, so I hope they don't get shut down because of these scores....

Then again, Studio Japan is still kicking despite Knack being mediocre, so who knows :D.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've been playing it for over 2 weeks, and I can't put it down. Apparently it's only because I'm a fanboy? I seriously don't understand these lower review scores at all.

PS Nation Review 9.0/10

Seriously, grab the PS Plus version and form your own opinions. I can't stop playing it, and I'm up to level 27 so far.

Here's a replay of a Livestream I did last Thursday too (It's a Livestream replay, so teh fidelity is a bit low obviously)
Video

I'm going to go out on a limb and say these guys probably suck at racing games. ;)

Keep up the good work.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think the PS+ version was very smart. If the game is compelling enough with a trial of one continent/country/whatever that PS+ is getting, they will still find sales, even if the reviews are poor. Lots of people have PS+ and so the game is going to get a lot of people trying it.

This.

Why anybody bothered to actually buy this game without trying it first is beyond me. I actually have no interest whatsoever, but the fact that Sony is giving me a large demo as part of the PS+ package I will happily give the game a chance to win me over.

Top Bottom