• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

pixelbox

One thing I would like to see in a future patch or it will probably be DC2: when it is pouring really hard, there should be puddles and cars should splash water all over going through them. Right now it shows there is water on the surface but there is no splash going through them. Also it should change the car handling when going through a deeper pool of water than a shallow one. I think this is missing right now from the videos I have seen.

Like this:

splashing

Deeper puddles does alters your vehicles handling. You won't get that splashing because no puddle and the game is that deep.

I have a feeling people expecting GT7 to look anything like Driveclub are going to be massively disappointed....

But I hope Polyphony manages to prove me wrong

le-seb

It doesn't seem to be out in North America yet.
From their Facebook page:
All of the December add-ons are now available to download in the UK, Europe, Australia & New Zealand from PlayStation®Store and in-game: http://bit.ly/1xrk5SH

These add-ons are coming to Asia on Dec 18 & America on Dec 23.

* Mazzanti Evantra (Free)
* Redline Expansion Pack (included in Season Pass or £4.99/€5.99/AU$8.95/US$5.99)
* Elements Tour Pack (included in Season Pass or£1.69/€1.99/AU$2.95/US$1.99)
* Redline Livery Pack (included in Season Pass or£0.59/€0.75/AU$1.15/US$0.99)
* Elements Livery Pack (included in Season Pass or£0.59/€0.75/AU$1.15/US$0.99)

I have a feeling people expecting GT7 to look anything like Driveclub are going to be massively disappointed....

But I hope Polyphony manages to prove me wrong

I wouldn't be surprised if it's literally a GT6 remaster for PS4 (with a good bit of new content, of course), but would have the GT7 name. I bet GT8 will be the one to wait for.

Dec 23 for NA

From their Facebook page:

Oh, right. I do remember seeing that. Maybe I'll get that DLC. I'm actually getting the game for Christmas (got it for free during the Target B2G1 sale).

Yiazmat

Pushing these visuals? I can't imagine, Driveclub is in a league of it's own with the lighting and water effects.

Maybe they should share some tech or something.

You mean PD should share their tech with evolution right? =)

There's no doubt that technically, PD is in a whole different league from Evolution. Even running at twice the framerate and being much more complex, GT5/6 looked better than anything Evolution put on PS3. Evolution themselves admitted that they had to catch up to current graphics technology when developing Driveclub, while PD was already doing tessellation and dynamic lighting and shadows on an ancient hardware like the PS3. (and even those water droplets physics were first seem on GT5 four years ago) Artistically I also think they're better at making things look more natural, from the color palette, to the smoke effect (that still looks better than the one in driveclub) and even some of the textures. (someone find that goodwood ground texture)

So yeah, I still think that visually, GT7 is going to destroy any other racer when it comes out.

benzy

Pushing these visuals? I can't imagine, Driveclub is in a league of it's own with the lighting and water effects.

Maybe they should share some tech or something.

I feel like Evo was inspired by PD's physics-based rain beading tech which they came out with for GT5, and this was on old hardware with a really limited amount of ram. PD are wizards.

tmchot.gif

^Exactly, almost no one has PDs budget, prepare to be amazed.

Agreed...PD now has lot of RAM to play with with a modern GPU, and they did an amazing job with measley 512mb of ram on PS3.

GT7 will blow our minds for sure in terms of visuals. The part I want them to put effort is sound and rethink GT's presentation and overall gameplay for this gen. Bring some new ideas, think outside of the box. GT had been stuck in the past. Time for some bold steps.

leng jai

Agreed...PD now has lot of RAM to play with with a modern GPU, and they did an amazing job with measley 512mb of ram on PS3.

GT7 will blow our minds for sure in terms of visuals. The part I want them to put effort is sound and rethink GT's presentation and overall gameplay for this gen. Bring some new ideas, think outside of the box. GT had been stuck in the past. Time for some bold steps.

If GT7 has the same audio as 5/6 I'm not even going to buy it. It's just so terrible.

pixelbox

You guys are crazy! Evo, had a much more dynamic and large environment. It had ragdoll, shader deformation, more complicated particle systems, their last game was virtually an action game.

DavidDesu

PD need to come out with a complete game, fully realised, and not a buggy shell of a game with improvements "to come with an update at an indefinite time" like GT6 has had with the sound (can't see that ever happening now).

Completely agree with you, it needs to be a totally different experience to previous GT's. I desperately hope they can copy driveclub's loading times. That literally would be half the battle for me, the other half being sound. I do think, even at 60fps, Gran Turismo 7 could perhaps blow away Driveclub. They've always technically been masters, and with GT6 pushed the PS3 past the limit hence the fact it was a buggy mess. I think with the PS4 there's no reason they can't do some very impressive things. They need to have rain at least as good as Driveclub, they need to have it on every track, same as the dynamic time, and every track and car needs to be rendered at next gen quality, enough of the ancient assets, they've had their time. I'll be very disappointed if GT7 is really GT6.5, the brand deserves better than that. I'll happily wait so long as I'm not waiting 2 years just to get a Prologue game or something. C'mon PD! For now Driveclub is fun as hell and Project Cars, for better or worse, is round the corner for my sim "thrills."

RDreamer

Bought this game...

...realized I still fucking suuuuuck at sim-like racers

ugh

(I haven't been decent at a sim-like racer since Gran Truismo 2)

I feel it's a pretty good mix... reminds me of an early Need for Speed or Test Drive back on PSX or 3DO...

It's still a bit arcade-y, especially the braking and collision, but the importance on smooth corner arcs feels very GT esque, and also the ability to spin out (especially on wet pavement) is much more unforgiving than most arcade racers. I like the balance between perfect cornering arcs and drifting, too. Meaning, usually it's always better to have a smooth cornering arc but there are instances, especially in emergencies, where a drifted corner (or a recovery because you got bumped out of your cornering arc) really works well.

It's funny... my first day with the game, I was a bit underwhelmed with the gameplay.

But after a month, and especially now that I'm learning to master a few tracks, addicted to challenges and time trials... I feel like the better I get at the game, the deeper and more entertaining/satisfying I find the driving to me. When you get that perfect lap in time trial mode, wow, so satisfying.

It's some of the most fun I've ever had in a racing game from _just_ the racing... I mean, often in GT a lot of the fun is from the customization and acquisition of cars. But Driveclub is just pure supercar gameplay, and it's the most fun I've had in a racing game since probably Burnout 2 (PS2) or Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 1 (PSX) (and of course the original GT).

It's also got the most... charm, soul, personality.. there's just something about Challenges and Clubs that really change the dynamic of the game. The music in the menus; the playing daily to check your Challenges, see if your friends helped the Club level up; the regular updates of new cars. It's odd because I remember at release, everyone said the opposite (and I never played at release). But a month in, soul and charm are two of the main words I'd use to describe the game. Once you get addicted, the nuances of the game are just so satisfying. Absolutely love the game 5 weeks in, playing it every day yet.

Bought this game...

...realized I still fucking suuuuuck at sim-like racers

ugh

(I haven't been decent at a sim-like racer since Gran Truismo 2)
The only thing I can recommend to you is to brake early before you actually go into a turn. You should be braking while you're still going straight. Then start accelerating after you reach the apex (the halfway point of any turn).

Also, and forgive me iff you already know this - the green, yellow, and red flags indicate the severity of the turns. Green is easy, yellow is medium, and red is the most severe.

Amir0x

Banned
When are people gonna post pics of the game and not real pics/videos anyway?

honestly if this wasn't actually out and I hadn't played it extensively I'd be thinking it was Evolution doing some serious egregious bullshit videos that would look nothing like that on my actual PS4

this is some next level shit

t_wilson01

I had a chance to play DC briftly at a local BestBuy yesterday (don't know if it was a demo or the full game) and liked the handling a lot. It's definitely an arcade racer as the late braking and light drifting I was doing would have had me wrapped around a guardrail in GT6. I was literally a foot way from the tv because of the super short controller cord so the jaggies were quite noticeable in chase view. Positive first impression though.

I had a chance to play DC briftly at a local BestBuy yesterday (don't know if it was a demo or the full game) and liked the handling a lot. It's definitely an arcade racer as the late braking and light drifting I was doing would have had me wrapped around a guardrail in GT6. I was literally a foot way from the tv because of the super short controller cord so the jaggies were quite noticeable in chase view. Positive first impression though.

They'll be running, at best, the final retail code, without any of the adjustments made since release.

I've yet to play the game at home (Xmas!) but I understand the AA has improved since launch.

They'll be running, at best, the final retail code, without any of the adjustments made since release.

I've yet to play the game at home (Xmas!) but I understand the AA has improved since launch.

Yeah the AA is a lot better than when the game came out.

Hell, I remember when I played the game at Eurogamer 2013 and the game while visually good, looked nowhere good as it does now.

AuRoN89

Banned
New update is live and i played a bit and on twitter is asked about the audio updates and yes they added thunder also you can hear in the cockpit the windshield wiper going i don't know if you can hear the rain on the car need to test it but a whole lot of immersion now even more then before.

https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/546281582198542338

i remember that the rain already had an audio effect. maybe they improved it, because it was really softer

thelastword

Banned
You mean PD should share their tech with evolution right? =)

There's no doubt that technically, PD is in a whole different league from Evolution. Even running at twice the framerate and being much more complex, GT5/6 looked better than anything Evolution put on PS3. Evolution themselves admitted that they had to catch up to current graphics technology when developing Driveclub, while PD was already doing tessellation and dynamic lighting and shadows on an ancient hardware like the PS3. (and even those water droplets physics were first seem on GT5 four years ago) Artistically I also think they're better at making things look more natural, from the color palette, to the smoke effect (that still looks better than the one in driveclub) and even some of the textures. (someone find that goodwood ground texture)

So yeah, I still think that visually, GT7 is going to destroy any other racer when it comes out.
Yeah agreed, Driveclub looks amazing but PD is on another level, I believe GT7 will best DC in car models, lighting, textures, tarmac, snow/gravel/dust/dirt and smoke effects. I also believe they will give DC a good run for their money in terms of track detail, perhaps even eclispse it since they'd have more varied tracks. GT7 will look even more realistic than DC and have much better IQ too. Knowing Polyphony, they may even downsample GT7 from a higher resolution.

That's saying something about PD when driveclub is the best looking racer out there by a longshot.

Nokterian

i remember that the rain already had an audio effect. maybe they improved it, because it was really softer

Now you can hear thunder and hearing the windshield wiper also yes the rain. I think they even improved the engine sounds because it sound so fierce right now that is good.

leng jai

New update is live and i played a bit and on twitter is asked about the audio updates and yes they added thunder also you can hear in the cockpit the windshield wiper going i don't know if you can hear the rain on the car need to test it but a whole lot of immersion now even more then before.

https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/546281582198542338

You still can't hear the rain hitting your windshield during the race (pre and post race it seems to sound much more apparent) and I still can't hear the wipers.

Ranger X

Well, I mean compared to playing Wipeout HD and Mario Kart, which are really the only other racers I've got into since Gran Turismo 2.

Oh, yeah that.
But take your time and honestly you will become fast in a short amount of time. Its better to break a bit too much but to exist the turns faster.

Yeah the AA is a lot better than when the game came out.

Hell, I remember when I played the game at Eurogamer 2013 and the game while visually good, looked nowhere good as it does now.

I'm happy to hear that :) My only experience with DC has been a quick P2P track, via an in store demo. Aliasing was poor, though of course I was nose against the screen. I love Evo's games, but they're not always the best when it comes to AA, there was a suspension bridge in MS:A that was awful, I don't understand why they even included all the detail on the bridge given how much aliasing ugliness was going on.

Only 5 days until I get to play DC. It's been downloaded on my PS4 since launch. I've got the steering wheel and stand sat here as well. 5 days....

Its like a indicator for warning corners are coming for yellow and red.

Wtf I played so many hours of this and didn't notice that! I'll pay more attention next time I play.

BTW if anyone is looking for a club that plays regularly we have 2 open spots.

OMG No Brakes!

My psn is Paladin33

club is level 23 right now.

Top Bottom