• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypah

That will take time, but they are well on their way to recovery. This past E3 alone won't do it, but they are set up much better than this time last year. As long as they stay humble and keep delivering good games, people will come.

Yeah, people looking for a complete turn-around are going to be disappointed. It's impossible. It'll be a slow ramp up over time if it does happen. They just have to stay on it and keep chipping away at it. It's going to be hard work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
waiting for the 'xxx% sales increase' press release from MS just before NPD results come out, as a distraction mechanism.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sunset Overdrive will have zero appeal to the mass market. Fable is dead, Crackdown again has no mass market appeal whatsoever. All they have is Halo 1-4 this year that can push sales.

If (hard)core games like those new and/or revied IPs, won't that help?

I mean, people have constantly said in other threads (especially in terms of the PS4) that mainstream/casual people will be interested in what the hardcore likes because the former group doesn't buy consoles early and gets suggestions from the latter group.

I mean, I agree that Sunset Overdrive probably won't get HUGE mainstream appeal but if it gets good reviews/feedback then I don't see why having it will hurt in anyway.

JimiNutz

Banned
We'll only really know if E3 'worked' around January 2015.

In my opinion MS had an amazing E3 and their 2014 line up looks really solid but I've already seen people on GAF that weren't impressed at all and they certainly didn't have the kind of E3 that would make many people run out and buy an X1 immediately.

We'll have to see if Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and Halo Collection are enough to entice gamers for the holiday period.

I think, at the very least, they'll win back some of the MS fans that 'defected' to Sony

Kelsey

Banned
That would explain the cloud of dust in my local Gamestop the other day. I kid the Xbox One. But seriously, if you've been watching Amazon US's daily sales chart you'd notice that the Kinect-less Xbox One has barely registered a blip. It jumped up from 75 to the low 20s after Halo was announced. Then a day later fell back down to the 40s. It might be in their best interest to release a limited edition console this time to go along with the Halo Collection.

prag16

Banned
What makes me suspicious of hyperbole (or at least unrepresentative anecdotal info) here is that they described the $499 SKU as "still very vibrant". The recent sales haven't been Wii U bad (prior to May at least) but describing them as "vibrant" is a little odd.

Green Yoshi

That confirms my prejudices about Gamestop customers. ;-)

I think MS still needs a bit of suffering for their original anti-consumer policies.

I'll buy the console when Quantum Break hit stores.

I mean will potential PS4 buyers today hold off until that bundle? Similar to how people waited for the Xbone without Kinect.
Amazon charts seem to say a resounding "YES" to that question. I don't think THAT many current PS4 owners are purchasing a second PS4 just yet, yet I saw the white PS4 bundle at something like 12th place on the Amazon charts yesterday. It would seem that more than a few several prospective PS4 owners are waiting for it.

TS-08

I know this isn't a really good source, but Amazon's PS4+Destiny bundle is the 2nd biggest pre-ordered.

Amazon can be a good reference so long as you compare like things within the same timeframe. If the PS4 version of a game ranks higher for the month than the XB1 version, you can safely assume it sold better across the board. The problem comes from trying to compare unlike things (like saying Mario Kart Wii U is selling better than Watch_Dogs because it ranks higher than any version of WD, ignoring the effect of multiple versions of the Ubisoft game), or trying to compare across different time frames (like the people who assumed the gap between the PS4 and the 1 would be wider instead of smaller from January to February NPD based on a bigger gap in ranking between the two on Amazon in February).

Bgamer90

Banned
I wonder if this console race is already pretty much settled. I mean, Wii U hopefully will do alright but it didn't catch lightning like the Wii that's obvious now. Xbox One will do a lot of things to challenge Sony but with the rest of world already settled the only place left is NA. Sony will do better in North America this time just by virtue of not having so many mistakes.

Maybe we're all just discussing stuff that doesn't matter in the end. I suppose if either company wins NA by big margins it's important since the market has so much sway.

I would say it's pretty much settled in terms of worldwide sales. Can see anything changing rank at this point.

Xbox One can possibly reduce the current ~500k gap in America with Master Chief/Halo console bundles but I don't think the system will ever do 200k+ more than the PS4 in America. If it gets to number one in America then I think it will by a small amount/gap.

But anyway, I'm thinking Sony 55%, MS 35%, and Nintendo 10% when it comes to the breakdown of total console sales this gen.

Pain

Banned
If (hard)core games like those new and/or revied IPs, won't that help?

I mean, people have constantly said in other threads (especially in terms of the PS4) that mainstream/casual people will be interested in what the hardcore likes because the former group doesn't buy consoles early and gets suggestions from the latter group.

I mean, I agree that Sunset Overdrive probably won't get HUGE mainstream appeal but if it gets good reviews/feedback then I don't see why having it will hurt in anyway.
Of course every exclusive will help. But lets be honest there's nothing this year that's going to turn the tide in Xbox Ones favor this year. Sunset Overdrive will be lucky to sell around what inFamous: Second Son did.

What will really make a difference? Halo 5. Undercutting PS4s price.
Other stuff that will are good word of mouth but that's out of Microsofts control.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Amazon represents 6% of the market and the best sellers rankings not even have numbers. Is a terrible mistake using it to speak about overall sales.

Again. Statistics, how do they work.

You don't need a billion data points to make an accurate prediction if the data is representative of the population.

I think the spread of PS4/X1 sales on Amazon is quite representative for other electronics retailers. Even if it were just 1% of the market. It doesn't matter.

Of course, Amazon does not give tangible numbers and they never will, but the sales metrics from Amazon were, to my memory, never once out of line with actual NPD data.

flying you say...

someone should shop a xb1 in this gif
doUly.gif

Pain

Banned
Amazon represents 6% of the market and the best sellers rankings not even have numbers. Is a terrible mistake using it to speak about overall sales.
No, NPD reports won't mirror Amazon Charts but you have to look at the trends.
PS4 > Xbox One
3rd Party Multiplats = PS4 > Xbox One

I seriously doubt that Gamestop sales of Xbox One are that much different than those of Amazon. I'm not talking sales here, I'm talking in regards to PS4.

But don't take my word for it. Don't even take Amazon's word for it. Gamestop.com has the $399 Xbox One at #42 on their best-sellers chart.(as of right now updated hourly or daily I'm not sure)

So from this data we can make an educated guess. Xbox One is not going to have a huge sales month. I don't think it will outsell PS4 and if it does it will be close.

Wait, you think they are about to drop another 100$ in a few months?
Do you have any idea about the losses they'd incur doing that?

But they haven't reeaaally dropped the price have they? They just unbundled a ridiculous overpriced accessory (compared to the gaming functionality it provided) from the package. They could (and most likely should) still drop the price on the console a little ($100 seems like too much, but maybe $50?).

MS needs to provide better value than the PS4, and I just don't see that at price parity.

TS-08

I think the person you quoted comparing their rankings is still making a good point, though. The Kinect less SKU is pretty far behind the standard PS4. Although it has sold amazingly so far, I don't think anyone believes the PS4 is currently "flying off shelves". So for the new XB1 SKU to be ranked that far behind the PS4 indicates that it is not selling nearly as well as the PR here suggests, unless GameStop is seeing a much better performance for some reason (maybe they have good trade in deals for the XB1 right now or so something). It seems like he is probably taking a decent but unspectacular uptick in sales and puffing the hell out of it.

Wag

The only reason I had to buy an XBone was Dead Rising 3, but now that it's coming out on PC, well...

blakep267

But they haven't reeaaally dropped the price have they? They just unbundled a ridiculous overpriced accessory (compared to the gaming functionality it provided) from the package. They could (and most likely should) still drop the price on the console a little ($100 seems like too much, but maybe $50?).

MS needs to provide better value than the PS4, and I just don't see that at price parity.
the thing is, value is subjective. I feel I can get more value with an xb1, halo mcc, and a month of live than I could get with a ps4, a month of psn and one of their fall exclusives. But that's just me and you have your preferences

Pain

Banned

You don't need a billion data points to make an accurate prediction if the data is representative of the population.

I think the spread of PS4/X1 sales on Amazon is quite representative for other electronics retailers. Even if it were just 1% of the market. It doesn't matter.

Of course, Amazon does not give tangible numbers and they never will, but the sales metrics from Amazon were, to my memory, never once out of line with actual NPD data.
I heard Xbox fans only buy their consoles in-store and they don't order stuff online. Yeah, that must be why its ranking low in online sales charts. Gamestop wouldn't lie to us. It's not like they want to sell Xbox Ones and create this narrative that Xbox One is in high demand in order to increase their profits. Nope. if you think that you must be off your meds.

allan-bh

Statistics for predictions with a acceptable margin of error follow a scientific model.

Just look at Amazon rankings is another thing.

cakely

I'll just add that in as a data point for console sales, but June NPD numbers aren't that far away. I can wait.

Statistics for predictions with a acceptable margin of error follow a scientific model.

Just look at Amazon rankings is another thing.

Yeah, but we're not doing science here, we're looking at sales figures for toys and 6% of the sample population is huge. Has anybody ever matched up Amazon's charts to the NPD results, to see how close they are, or do we just dismiss 6% out of hand?

Cool. I hope it sells wells. The competition has been a win for all of us.

Competition is killing poor Nintendo, Sony and MS should donate a percentage of sales to them so they can 'do well'.

Is GameStop in bed with Microsoft? Do they have a deal in place or something? Every GameStop I've been to has xbox ads plastered everywhere, one GameStop I've been to in NY has an entire floor dedicated to MS. I go online and I usually see "Xbox One now available" but very little for PS4. I don't see that at other retailers as much, anyone that works at GameStop have any insight? I'm curious.

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
Though Amazon represents a small percentage of sales, the ranking and trends have been fairly accurate and indicative, barring unique sales and deep discounts (See Thief Gold being one of the highest ranking purchases last year because you could get it free with a discount code). Also, something flying off the shelf could just be relative to past numbers. There's little doubt this will increase sales.

coldone

In Amazon, Xbone is ranked 41. PS Vita-TV is in 21. Two PS4 SKUs in the top 10

"Flying off the shelf" could mean they went from zero to 10.. need not be that they are out selling PS4.

Biker19

Banned
Is GameStop in bed with Microsoft? Do they have a deal in place or something? Every GameStop I've been to has xbox ads plastered everywhere, one GameStop I've been to in NY has an entire floor dedicated to MS. I go online and I usually see "Xbox One now available" but very little for PS4. I don't see that at other retailers as much, anyone that works at GameStop have any insight? I'm curious.

That's the US gaming media for you. But people aren't falling for Microsoft's bullshit this time around.

onanie

They were promised a near monopoly on used games sales if the DRM went through. Here's hoping for a second round next gen right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom