• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Uncharted, but I want Uncharted 4 to be the last Uncharted, at least the last Uncharted developed by Naughty Dog. Also, I don't want another The Last Of Us, but I'm sure if they are going to do it, it will be great.

I believe Naughty Dog's release scedule, containing The Last Of Us 2, will be:
Uncharted 4: March 2016
The Last Of Us 2: 2018
New ip: 2020

I think the best would be to get a Naughty Dog like Pixar, a studio that makes mostly new and great ips.

Unlikely in such a risky industry as videogames. You don't just dump a highly successful IP after one game.

Philippo

My hope for ND's output this gen:
1.UC4
2.TLOU2
3.New IP
4.New IP sequel

I think a new IP immediately after UC4 will take longer than a potential TLOU2, and since Neil is still writing the movie, his mind is always on TLOU anyway.

I'd stop at N°3, and even that is being positive: TLOU2 won't be out before 2018 at the earliest, and a new IP would take at least 3 years to develop, which means we'd be in 2019-2020, most probably the last years of this gen.

Unless they build a proper new team, that's it.

2thepoint

I'd say Uncharted 4 will be the last from Naughty Dog.

It would be cool to see Sony set up a new internal team ala 343 Industries to handle future Uncharted development and let Naughty Dog continue making new IP and continuing The Last of Us.

Pachimari

I have a hard time getting excited about Uncharted 4. Either because Uncharted 3 left me really bored or because of fatigue after four games.

Though, them going back to a huge open world island is right up my alley, so I am super optimistic.

GnawtyDog

Banned

It would be cool to see Sony set up a new internal team ala 343 Industries to handle future Uncharted development and let Naughty Dog continue making new IP and continuing The Last of Us.

SSM can handle the IP.

Conduit

Banned
sonye32015countdown8.png

So, Dark Souls 3 @Sony's conference? Are DS3's shots legit? Just asking cuz Sony put one of that screenshots in that add.

Druckmann seems really intent on ending this series -

Ayln7Lt.png

That's so up front that I'm almost surprised it's not a fake to be honest. Naughty Dog must really have Sony by the balls if they're allowed to dictate the future of a huge franchise like Uncharted. If ND are wiping their hands clean of it after A Thief's End then I imagine Sony will hand the IP to some other team after that game is done and it'll start afresh with a new character in the lead role. Either way, I'm glad that Druckmann and everyone are doubling down on the notion that this is the last Nathan Drake adventure we'll ever see - proper closure is a rare quality to see in this industry. Usually if something proves to be popular on the scale of Uncharted, it'll get milked until the well dries up, so it's cool that ND can give the series they created the send-off it deserves and then bid farewell to it for good.

If Sony wanted to be really ballsy about it, they'd cease to make any more Uncharted games after 4. Just end it all on the biggest definitive high possible.

If Sony wanted to be really ballsy about it, they'd cease to make any more Uncharted games after 4. Just end it all on the biggest definitive high possible.

I could see Sony respecting ND's decision to end the Uncharted franchise with U4. But I think it may come with a price, a price call The Last of Us 2 and 3.

I would prefer if ND dropped TLoU and never made a sequel.

That game really has the most perfect ending of any game and I personally feel we don't need more story on Joel and Ellie or others in that universe.

ND are bursting with talent and should exercise their creative ability after Uncharted 4.
Space IP!

I realise I'm in the minority with this thinking though.

I could see Sony respecting ND's decision to end the Uncharted franchise with U4. But I think it may come with a price, a price call The Last of Us 2 and 3.

I'm still really cold on the prospect of a TLoU sequel - that should be a one-and-done type of deal if ever there was one.

Edit - I agree with everything the poster said above me, word for word.

coughlanio

I'm still really cold on the prospect of a TLoU sequel - that should be a one-and-done type of deal if ever there was one.

I think it could be done, but the idea of calling it The Last of Us 2 really cheapens the impact of the first game in my opinion. I would hope that it would be set in the same universe, but with characters completely dissassociated from the first game, and have an entirely separate title (almost like a spiritual successor). But we know the marketing department won't let this happen after the success of the first game.

That game really has the most perfect ending of any game and I personally feel we don't need more story on Joel and Ellie or others in that universe.

ND are bursting with talent and should exercise their creative ability after Uncharted 4.
Space IP!

I'm with you too. And I say that with The Last of Us being my favourite game. Unfortunately, I also realise that business will dictate whether there will be a sequel. And considering how incredibly well the first game did, a sequel is a business no brainier.

coughlanio

That's so up front that I'm almost surprised it's not a fake to be honest. Naughty Dog must really have Sony by the balls if they're allowed to dictate the future of a huge franchise like Uncharted. If ND are wiping their hands clean of it after A Thief's End then I imagine Sony will hand the IP to some other team after that game is done and it'll start afresh with a new character in the lead role. Either way, I'm glad that Druckmann and everyone are doubling down on the notion that this is the last Nathan Drake adventure we'll ever see - proper closure is a rare quality to see in this industry. Usually if something proves to be popular on the scale of Uncharted, it'll get milked until the well dries up, so it's cool that ND can give the series they created the send-off it deserves and then bid farewell to it for good.

I imagine it's the last Nathan Drake game we'll see, but not the last Uncharted. I see a studio like Bend taking the helm.

Space IP!

It would be nice but I highly doubt they wouldn't capitalize on TLOU's success. But I agree that Sony should let them do whatever they want.

I do think Ellie has the potential to be on Drakes level as an ambassador for the Sony brand. Such a good character. I want a game where I am her the whole time. (A whole game not just an amazing dlc)

Only if Ashley Johnson still plays her though. I wonder if she would do as good a job playing an older, more mature Ellie.

I'm with you too. And I say that with The Last of Us being my favourite game. Unfortunately, I also realise that business will dictate whether there will be a sequel. And considering how incredibly well the first game did, a sequel is a business no brainier.

TLoU is one of, if not, the finest game I've ever played so my aversion to a sequel is not easy to say.

But I love thinking of it as a one-off/perfect experience of a game.

You're right that business realities will dictate that a sequel just has to happen.
Maybe by that time I'll be more open to the idea!

It would be nice but I highly doubt they wouldn't capitalize on TLOU's success. But I agree that Sony should let them do whatever they want.

I do think Ellie has the potential to be on Drakes level as an ambassador for the Sony brand. Such a good character. I want a game where I am her the whole time. (A whole game not just an amazing dlc)

Do you think Ellie could work as an ambassador for the Playstation brand even if they never made another game with her?

Because she definitely works in that regard or does she need to stay relevant with sequels?

GnawtyDog

Banned
TLOU should get a sequel. Ellie (late teen years) and her BF (newly introduced character) being protagonist. After ND releases a Space Opera IP the likes of which this world has never seen.

And that's how ND should wrap up this gen.

Rymuth

TLOU should get a sequel. Ellie (late teen years) and her BF (newly introduced character) being protagonist. After ND releases a Space Opera IP the likes of which this world has never seen.

And that's how ND should wrap up this gen.

By BF, you mean Best-Friend?

Pachimari

I don't want anymore of Uncharted or The Last of Us to be honest. I love both franchises but I want something new from Naughty Dog.

I think it could be done, but the idea of calling it The Last of Us 2 really cheapens the impact of the first game in my opinion. I would hope that it would be set in the same universe, but with characters completely dissassociated from the first game, and have an entirely separate title (almost like a spiritual successor). But we know the marketing department won't let this happen after the success of the first game.

As much as I want this, it wont. Ellie has become pretty popular and I'm pretty sure Sony would like more of her if ND decides to make a sequel.

Do you think Ellie could work as an ambassador for the Playstation brand even if they never made another game with her?

Because she definitely works in that regard or does she need to stay relevant with sequels?
I would say at least one where she is the main playable character.

This will be at the MS conference in their ID@Xbox reel according to their Twitter last week :)

And AFAIK of its in their sizzle reel then it will be playable in their booth...at least that's what previous events dictated. So expect some gameplay write ups

Mmmm nah, they didn't invite us to E3, so no booth, althought we'll be at Gamescom with an independent booth.

No. That would be terrible. Making a "XXX" factory is just stupid and ruins any creativity.
If the original studio doesn't want to make a sequel, let the IP rest.
Let the studio decide what they want to do next. That was always Sony's philosophy.
Just keep it this way.

DieH@rd

Banned
Uncharted was a series based around the idea of the set piece. The 2nd one was mind blowing, and the third one managed to one up its predecessor. The question is- in an era where nearly every single AAA game is relying on those "set peice" moments; COD, Battlefield, and now- Final Fantasy - how can Uncharted 4 one up everyone all over again?

More importantly, it's a good idea if Uncharted 4 caps off what it started- a narrative woven with bombastic design. It wrote the rule book, here's hoping it has the last and final say over its contemporaries.

PSX U4 demo had a feel of a setpiece, but in fact it was just a ordinary level in a early part of a game [no cuts on face, so that's before Drake woke up on that beach].

Whatever they come up with for a true E3 setpiece demo, I'm sure it will look and feel magnificent. Artwork of the game showcased ruined ancient pirate city, half of it being under the sea. I'm sure they could create some awesome devastation in that environment. Or maybe the will show us some other location in the game, something not in Africa.

DieH@rd

Banned
Druckman has openly said that TLOU was origin story of Ellie.

If they want, they could say so much more about those characters and the world they are living in. I hope they will make a TLOU sequel after U4, and then go for a new IP [space opera!].

Philippo

PSX U4 demo had a feel of a setpiece, but in fact it was just a ordinary level in a early part of a game [no cuts on face, so that's before Drake woke up on that beach].

Whatever they come up with for a true E3 setpiece demo, I'm sure it will look and feel magnificent. Artwork of the game showcased ruined ancient pirate city, half of it being under the sea. I'm sure they could create some awesome devastation in that environment. Or maybe the will show us some other location in the game, something not in Africa.

That's what was most mind-blowing imho, more than the graphic itselfs.

This has nothing to do with "having them by the balls". Sony always gave their studios the free will to decide what to make next. For example, see Insomniac Games. Before Ratchet, they were making a game called "Project: Girl with a Stick" (maybe you know the story already) for 6 months. After a while, they realized it wasn't their "thing" and they talked with Sony and Sony said "Yeah, no problem. Cancel it, if you don't like it". And so Rachet & Clank happened. It's the SCE way. Always has been.
Forcing studios to create a certain IP (or making them a XXX factory) is just stupid. Well, if your focus is just money and nothing else, well then maybe it makes sense for certain companies.

I have a hard time getting excited about Uncharted 4. Either because Uncharted 3 left me really bored or because of fatigue after four games.

Though, them going back to a huge open world island is right up my alley, so I am super optimistic.

I'm excited. That combat sandbox they showed at PSX looked so much fun.

eerik9000

My E3 hype rankings:

1. Sony - I love the variety they offer. From The Tomorrow Children to Rime to Uncharted. Less Powers talk this year please.
2. Microsoft - Don't care much about Xbox but their PR people are really hyping what is supposed to be "the greatest lineup in Xbox history". We'll see... Less pre-rendered CG trailers this please.
3. Nintendo - Don't care much about Wii U, even less about 3DS, but I love Nintendo for being different and doing their own thing. Liked theit Digital Event presentation a lot last year.
4.-5. Bethesda / Square Enix - They better have damn good reasons for hosting their own conferences this year. I'm ready to be surprised.
6.-7. EA / Ubisoft - I'm prepared for these being just fancy CGI trailers mixed with nothingness.
8. PC Gaming Show - I am a PC gamer, but does this really have to be 3 hours long? I'm expecting a lot of boring filler, a lot.

Carn82

Druckman has openly said that TLOU was origin story of Ellie.

If they want, they could say so much more about those characters and the world they are living in. I hope they will make a TLOU sequel after U4, and then go for a new IP [space opera!].

I wouldnt mind different main characters for a TLOU sequel, with Joel or Ellie in a supporting role. Or just an ensemble piece; that could work great as well.

2thepoint

No. That would be terrible. Making a "XXX" factory is just stupid and ruins any creativity.
If the original studio doesn't want to make a sequel, let the IP rest.
Let the studio decide what they want to do next. That was always Sony's philosophy.
Just keep it this way.

What's really stupid is leaving a blockbuster IP to rot away and lose relevance.

As one of the premier franchises for Sony, I'd rather see a dedicated team passionate about the IP take over rather than given to some crap team to ruin.

And as if Sony are going to leave that IP go under the radar after Uncharted 4. Its a graphical showcase, extremely successful and one of PlayStation's most recognizable IP.

You'd have to be insane to suggest that just because Naughty Dog may be closing the door on Uncharted after 4, that the franchise will be put on a shelf and left dormant.

What's really stupid is leaving a blockbuster IP to rot away and lose relevance.

As one of the premier franchises for Sony, I'd rather see a dedicated team passionate about the IP take over rather than given to some crap team to ruin.

And as if Sony are going to leave that IP go under the radar after Uncharted 4. Its a graphical showcase, extremely successful and one of PlayStation's most recognizable IP.

You'd have to be insane to suggest that just because Naughty Dog may be closing the door on Uncharted after 4, that the franchise will be put on a shelf and left dormant.
Let the IP "rot" and let them make another Blockbuster.
Happened with Crash, then Jak, then Uncharted, gonna happen with TLOU in a decade.

An Uncharted game without Naughty Dog isn't a real Uncharted game.
It will feel completely different. Nobody needs an Uncharted game just by the name.

You can do these "graphical showcases" with TLOU2, or their next IP.
Or let Guerrilla Games do that with Horizon (which they will do).

There is no need for an Uncharted-only studio, nor for an Uncharted game without Naughty Dog. SCE can move on to the next blockbuster IP. Happened already with ND, will happen again.

klaushm

New studio focused on VR, Secret Sorcery, created by ex-Evolution studio patriots, and they quoted this:

Secret Sorcery said:
We’re preparing to share our early work with industry partners at E3 in Los Angeles later this month as a prelude to ambitious product development and studio growth. We’d love to hear from creatively talented and skilled developers who share our enthusiasm for VR gaming via careers@secretsorcery.com. This is the beginning of something magical; we’re looking forward to sharing more exciting news over the coming weeks,

Link by: VR Focus

I hope the rumors of “Gran Turismo Sport” are true.

My sim racing itch needs scratching on the PS4. And PCARS sadly isn't an option; there's no demo and I've read comments from too many people I trust that the controller settings (especially on default) are rubbish.

An early 2016 launch for a new GT will save me from plunking down several hundred dollars for Forza 6.

I hope the rumors of “Gran Turismo Sport” are true.

My sim racing itch needs scratching on the PS4. And PCARS sadly isn't an option; there's no demo and I've read comments from too many people I trust that the controller settings (especially on default) are rubbish.

An early 2016 launch for a new GT will save me from plunking down several hundred dollars for Forza 6.
Not gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom