• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

The lead up to this E3 have been much better, than the lead up to PSX on here. Props for that.

I also think we have already gotten a lot of announcements, so everything have started very well.

- Fallout 4 announcement
- Mega Man Legacy Collection
- Tales of Berseria for PS4
- Tales of Zesteria for PC and PS4
- XCOM 2 for PC
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate gameplay reveal
- FIFA 16 and NBA 2K16 announcements
- Dark Souls III leak and screenshots
- Garden Warfare 2 announced
- The stuff from the mini Nintendo Direct

We have gotten a bunch of stuff.

Euron

Uncharted 4 footage, Horizon reveal, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne expansion announcement and footage from games like Rime would probably make it my favroite conference of E3 this year. Other reveals would merely be the cherry on top.

Though TLG would be massive.
I would love for the Bloodborne expansion to be there but I took Yoshida's confirmation of one plus "info later this year" as it won't be at E3. I really hope I'm wrong though. I would love some more Rime footage plus a solid release window. I'm sure it's 2016 at this point. Dark Souls 3 is probably the biggest thing there for me right now if TLG isn't there.

What conference has ever existed that was 100% new stuff?

The Sony conference will showcase their strength in the 3rd party development world, their strength in the indie development world, their strength in the first party development world, etc. Yeah there will be lots of 3rd party software to show off. There will be lots of " indies " to show off. Nothing new there or different. It is a 2 hour show, sit back and relax and enjoy.

The surprises are usually a very small portion of these shows. A couple of big surprises interlaced with new footage of stuff we already knew about.
I never said I wanted 100% new stuff. Nobody in the right mind should expect anything close to that. But Sony has more marketing deals than ever this year which means demos and trailers for each of those games, which will eat up a big portion of the conference. Some people here are expecting exclusive after exclusive to be announced when that won't be the case.

The build up to Sony's conference is always the most entertaining. Because there's so much that could be shown, no one knows what's going to happen. I don't mean to slight the other conferences, but I could predict Microsoft, EA, and Ubisoft's conferences with 60% - 80% accuracy.

At Microsoft's conference we're going to see truckloads of Halo 5, Forza 6, Fable Legends, Scalebound, one of Gears/Crackdown, and Rare's project, with the indie montage and the 3rd party deals sandwiched somewhere in between. Throw in 2 more surprises and there you go.

Sony and Nintendo have the biggest variety of 1st parties and most beloved/exciting back-catalog to draw from.

You can't go into a Microsoft conference with the possibility of a new Zelda, Metroid, TLOU2, TLG or Crash. And a new IP from one of the few Microsoft first parties can't generate the same excitement as a new Nintendo or Naughty Dog IP.

I really wonder how Microsoft can maintain momentum now that they have likely permanently lost the ability to moneyhat third party exclusives on any real scale this gen and now that both Halo and Gears are no longer being made by their original studios.

If they are going to stay in the console business long term then presumably they'd need to seriously expand their WWSs and work on some high impact, recognisable franchises, and they don't seem to be doing that.. so I wonder if really they will transition Xbox to being some kind of PC based service next gen.

DNAbro

I posted this earlier in the thread

"What if Sony had a like a full dedicated 20 minutes to all the JRPGs that are coming to the console.

Like someone walks out on to the stage and says Playstation is known as the home of Japanese role-playing games. Here's a trailer for FFXV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Persona 5, new Sony IP, new Level 5 game, Disgaea 5, Star Ocean 5, and Tales of Zestria."

Tales of Festival has ended and Zestria hasn't been officially announced for PS4 yet. Date and everything go leaked but I'm going to guess that they announce it on stage at Sony's press conference. IMO it makes it more likely that they will be talking JRPGs at the conference.

or they could just announce it before e3 drop a trailer and not do it on stage but let me dream

Sony and Nintendo have the biggest variety of 1st parties and most beloved/exciting back-catalog to draw from.

You can't go into a Microsoft conference with the possibility of a new Zelda, Metroid, TLOU2, TLG or Crash. And a new IP from one of the few Microsoft first parties can't generate the same excitement as a new Nintendo or Naughty Dog IP.

I really wonder how Microsoft can maintain momentum now that they have likely permanently lost the ability to moneyhat third party exclusives on any real scale this gen and now that both Halo and Gears are no longer being made by their original studios.

If they are going to stay in the console business long term then presumably they'd need to seriously expand their WWSs and work on some high impact, recognisable franchises, and they don't seem to be doing that.. so I wonder if really they will transition Xbox to being some kind of PC based service next gen.

Hmm what momentum? Nothing has really changed.

I would love for the Bloodborne expansion to be there but I took Yoshida's confirmation of one plus "info later this year" as it won't be at E3. I really hope I'm wrong though. I would love some more Rime footage plus a solid release window. I'm sure it's 2016 at this point. Dark Souls 3 is probably the biggest thing there for me right now if TLG isn't there.

If the Bloodborne expansion isn't at E3 (which I'm not convinced it won't be), it'll almost certainly be at TGS, with a release of no later than sometime this fall I'm betting. I'm also willing to bet there will be multiple DLCs, in the vein of DkSII.

Morpheus will take up half Sony's conference easily. It launches in less than a year, so they're going to want to ram it down your throat good and hard... so to speak...

If Morpheus takes up more than even ten minutes of the conference then I will rage. Believe me, ten minutes might not seem long, but it'll feel like an eternity when you're watching it live. Wonderbook was twenty minutes and that almost made me lose the will to live.

If Morpheus takes up more than even ten minutes of the conference then I will rage. Believe me, ten minutes might not seem long, but it'll feel like an eternity when you're watching it live. Wonderbook was twenty minutes and that almost made me lose the will to live.

LOL, it was pretty painful. Sony always has good conferences IMO, but they do struggle at times with pacing, waste too much time on 1 thing.

Hexa

"What if Sony had a like a full dedicated 20 minutes to all the JRPGs that are coming to the console.

Like someone walks out on to the stage and says Playstation is known as the home of Japanese role-playing games. Here's a trailer for FFXV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Persona 5, new Sony IP, new Level 5 game, Disgaea 5, Star Ocean 5, and Tales of Zestria."

Tales of Festival has ended and Zestria hasn't been officially announced for PS4 yet. Date and everything go leaked but I'm going to guess that they announce it on stage at Sony's press conference. IMO it makes it more likely that they will be talking JRPGs at the conference.

or they could just announce it before e3 drop a trailer and not do it on stage but let me dream

And then they drop the FF level Sony Jrpg that Verendus said would get announced before the end of the year. I mean, it's confirmed level 5 is announcing a PS4 game at E3, so that's pretty believable.

I'm kinda expecting DA:Inquisition to be at MS stage or their Daily Show to either announce their next story DLC, or a big expansion. Only see it being on stage if it's a big expansion akin to Awakening... if it's DLC the size of Jaws of Hakkon I'm expecting them to at least announce the next DLC during the Xbox Daily's

I'm kinda expecting DA:Inquisition to be at MS stage or their Daily Show to either announce their next story DLC, or a big expansion. Only see it being on stage if it's a big expansion akin to Awakening... if it's DLC the size of Jaws of Hakkon I'm expecting them to at least announce the next DLC during the Xbox Daily's

Dragon Age DLC will probably be at E3 in trailer form. Then mentioned at MS that its coming first to Xbox and that leads into the Mass Effect 4 reveal.

With that + PVZ GW2 and Mirrors Edge there is going to be a pretty big EA presence as Microsoft.

Hmm what momentum? Nothing has really changed.

I mean just maintain the gap as it currently stands. In 2 years time you're looking at what.. Yet another Halo from a B tier studio, yet another Gears (albeit from probably an A tier studio), yet another Fable and a new IP from a studio that nobody has likely heard of. Maybe a timed exclusive or two.

The Xbox without paid third party exclusives and without a WWS network suddenly looks pretty unsustainable to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I guess Microsoft have the cash to moneyhat a big system seller, after all that's what they did with Halo which was originally a Mac game, but I just wonder if the big boys in Redmond won't be too keen on that this third time around. Especially not that the new management seems keen to move away from the devices market and back into software and services.

Rosur

Can see it being 20mins but hope they don't spend too much time on it as its hard to show at VR at these conferences, maybe just a sizzle real of games for it and price/ release window announcement (though see actual date being saved for PSX).

Philippo

Definitely possible and i too think a Japanese games segment is gonna happen.
Sony is putting a lot of efforts to renew the japanese game scene and move it to the Ps4, plus various insiders have stated that it's going to be a good E3 for fans of said games.

FFXV is confirmed a no show though

I am so excited for Morpheus! It's like the build up to the Wii. What can it do? What will games look like? What will it look like? On top of that, it has the potential to be a true game changer. I am so excited for everything Sony has to show this year.

Remark

Banned

What the hell do you think they've been doing?

They have been opening a bunch of studios lately working on new games. Also they don't have to be internal studios who make Microsoft 1st party IP's. I always feel like people have the most weirdest perception of Microsoft when it comes to their Xbox division because of 2010-2013.

I mean just maintain the gap as it currently stands. In 2 years time you're looking at what.. Yet another Halo from a B tier studio, yet another Gears (albeit from probably an A tier studio), yet another Fable and a new IP from a studio that nobody has likely heard of.

The Xbox without paid third party exclusives and without a WWS network suddenly looks pretty unsustainable to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I guess Microsoft have the cash to moneyhat a big system seller, after all that's what they did with Halo which was originally a Mac game, but I just wonder if the big boys in Redmond won't be too keen on that this third time around. Especially not that the new management seems keen to move away from the devices market and back into software and services.

Fair enough...First party and creating new IP's have always been MS weakspot imo...Sony takes chances, even when it doesn't work (The order), I'd rather them keep trying to make new IP's instead of turning out the same old.

I still think it stinks they make a new studio then force them to work on someones elses old IP in gears....

What the hell do you think they've been doing?

They have been opening a bunch of studios lately working on new games. Also they don't have to be internal studios who make Microsoft 1st party IP's. I always feel like people have the most weirdest perception of Microsoft when it comes to their Xbox division because of 2010-2013.

Why only 2010-2013? MS has had what 15 years to build internally and they have not really done it will at all compared to the competition.

Dragon Age DLC will probably be at E3 in trailer form. Then mentioned at MS that its coming first to Xbox and that leads into the Mass Effect 4 reveal.

With that + PVZ GW2 and Mirrors Edge there is going to be a pretty big EA presence as Microsoft.

Ya, that's what I meant, a trailer, they won't spend time on Gameplay. They are "first on Xbox" so I see them involving it in some way to announce their next DLC/expansion. EA did after all say last week that they aren't done with the story DLC yet which is what I'm basing it on: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sounds-like-more-dragon-age-inquisition-story-dlc-/1100-6427746/

I'm really hoping they have been working on a larger scale expansion personally

Remark

Banned
Why only 2010-2013? MS has had what 15 years to build internally and they have not really done it will at all compared to the competition.
Bunch of new IP's came out between 05-09 Hell, if we go back to the original Xbox a bunch of IP was there as well. Just none of them every got more love from Microsoft in my honest opinion. Especially IP they had during the Original Xbox days (I still wish Blinx would come back :'l)

Considering Phil was the head of their WWS for a long time, and now he's the head honcho of Xbox, that says volumes.

Yeah I don't want to get into the silly "Phil spencer the messiah" nonsense. All he has done is tell people what they want to hear, basic PR 101. He has been a part of Xbox good and bad for a long time.

Fair enough...First party and creating new IP's have always been MS weakspot imo...Sony takes chances, even when it doesn't work (The order), I'd rather them keep trying to make new IP's instead of turning out the same old.

I still think it stinks they make a new studio then force them to work on someones elses old IP in gears....

My opinions and understanding of Microsoft come from the world of computing rather than gaming so it's not a surprise to me.

If you look at the new management at Microsoft they are moving hard away from the Ballmer era of chasing hardware companies into the devices market. I doubt an Xbox division would be approved in 2015, so I don't think Redmond will be giving them the cash to buy out a Bungie equivalent to keep the Xbox brand alive beyond this gen.

It would be a missed opportunity if Sony didn't focus on Japense titles.

They just have so many coming that not focusing on them would pretty much be ignoring a large Playstation user base.

E3 is the perfect time to show everyone else the variety your competitors lack.

Halo and Gears are still monster IP though man. And Forza is a critically acclaimed darling, in fact, it's reviewed much better than GT for a while now, just hasn't got anywhere close to it sales. I think MS has solid franchises to build off, but I'm not sure they'll be back next gen with the same approach, I would imagine, just like Windows, MS will look to consolidate their platforms with PC more next gen.

Remark

Banned
My opinions and understanding of Microsoft come from the world of computing rather than gaming so it's not a surprise to me.

If you look at the new management at Microsoft they are moving hard away from the Ballmer era of chasing hardware companies into the devices market. I doubt an Xbox division would be approved in 2015, so I don't think Redmond will be giving them the cash to buy out a Bungie equivalent to keep the Xbox brand alive beyond this gen.
Nah, even if they don't get the money they got back in say Xbox 360 days I still think they have the budget to pull in studios like they did in the past. Also you guys are kind over-estimating how Bungie was worth back in the day. Bungie was a pretty small company back when Microsoft got them. I feel Xbox division was pulling in enough money during the Xbox 360 days that it was worth it to keep the Xbox division but I do feel that if the Xbox One doesn't pull in better numbers then the Xbox division could get sold off or something I don't really know tbh.

Wiggy

Yeah this seems likely. Things seem to be lining up nicely for ps4 on the jrpg front. Some of those arent E3 worthy announcements on their own, but putting them all together would make a bigger splash.

Remark

Banned

They just have so many coming that not focusing on them would pretty much be ignoring a large Playstation user base.

Highly doubt your going to see a huge importance on Japanese games from Sony in 2015.

It's just not happening like that anymore. At most you may see Persona or something but that's it.

Tales game, Level 5 RPG, Gravity Rush and P5 all at E3 this year??!!? Best conference ever for me personally.

I think we are almost certain to see either HL3, or another Valve game at E3 or shortly thereafter. They are going to push their VR device with software for it, and I think it will be incredible.

Highly doubt your going to see a huge importance on Japanese games from Sony in 2015.

It's just not happening like that anymore. At most you may see Persona or something but that's it.
I misstated. Didn't mean huge focus like a large overarching theme but rather that there should be a segment on it, ending with a montage perhaps.

Theyve shunned 3rd party japanese titles for ages at e3 i hope thats starting to change. I wanna see persona 5, gravity rush and other japanese titles on stage getting atleast some highlight. Especially persona.

Wiggy

But Wonderbook was 20 mins of bad footage, the problem was the content just as much as the length. I'm with you about not dwelling too long, but it's hard to judge when we don't know what they're packing.

MisterR

Theyve shunned 3rd party japanese titles for ages at e3 i hope thats starting to change. I wanna see persona 5, gravity rush and other japanese titles on stage getting atleast some highlight. Especially persona.

I think Persona is big enough at this point that they might well highlight it.

Halo and Gears are still monster IP though man. And Forza is a critically acclaimed darling, in fact, it's reviewed much better than GT for a while now, just hasn't got anywhere close it sales. I think MS has solid franchises to build off, but I'm not sure they'll be back next gen with the same approach, I would imagine, just like Windows, MS will look to consolidate there platforms with PC more next gen.

Oh yeah for sure, and perhaps the next one will be a big success under Black Tusk, but I wouldn't really put my money on 343 maintaining Halo as the mega-hitter it once was, I think that franchise is pretty much in decline.

They're really banking on these 3, too much to be healthy imo.

Nah, even if they don't get the money they got back in say Xbox 360 days I still think they have the budget to pull in studios like they did in the past. Also you guys are kind over-estimating how Bungie was worth back in the day. Bungie was a pretty small company back when Microsoft got them. I feel Xbox division was pulling in enough money during the Xbox 360 days that it was worth it to keep the Xbox division but I do feel that if the Xbox One doesn't pull in better numbers then the Xbox division could get sold off or something I don't really know tbh.

MS definitely have the money I just doubt that there's the will in HQ to write the cheques anymore.

I never said I wanted 100% new stuff. Nobody in the right mind should expect anything close to that. But Sony has more marketing deals than ever this year which means demos and trailers for each of those games, which will eat up a big portion of the conference. Some people here are expecting exclusive after exclusive to be announced when that won't be the case.

Hmmm ... don't think anyone is expecting that really. Just expecting a strong conference. Sony could do nothing but show exclusives we already know about and it would be a great show, filled with lots of games with a ton of potential. But, to fill it out they will have 3rd party stuff up there, which is no problem at all. I want to see more MGSV and Star Wars: Battlefront, Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, KH3, etc. personally. Will have a good bit of indies, which is no problem because games like NMS, Volume, ABZU, Alienation, The Witness, etc. have tons of potential and look fantastic.

Its going to be a strong show. Don't think anyone needs to worry.

klaushm

But Wonderbook was 20 mins of bad footage, the problem was the content just as much as the length. I'm with you about not dwelling too long, but it's hard to judge when we don't know what they're packing.

Yup. Imagine they showing GT7, then "Hey, let's see the cockpit with morpheus". Smooth and awesome introduction.

Aces&Eights

If Sony does showcase Morpheus then I want a release date and launch title. If they show a demo of No Man's Sky on Morpheus and a release date on this holiday, I will lose my shit.

I hope VR is priced well, and I hope it succeeds. I am not sure why some seem to want it to fail, new ways to experience games are welcome in my book and VR has lots of potential imo.

Tales game, Level 5 RPG, Gravity Rush and P5 all at E3 this year??!!? Best conference ever for me personally.

What a sweet line-up right there. Sony would indeed do well to showcase the myriad of awesome looking Japanese games making their way over here. It's too good to ignore. Even Star Ocean 5 looks pretty good if you ignore the pink-haired childhood friend with the demented face.

I've addressed this before and I don't really want to go into it again, but here's an earlier post of mine explaining why I don't want a focus on VR at E3.

Long story short, regardless of what quality the footage shown is, motion controls and a stage in front of a live audience don't mix.

LOL, it was pretty painful. Sony always has good conferences IMO, but they do struggle at times with pacing, waste too much time on 1 thing.

I'm a PS4/Vita guy through and through, and I agree, their conferences are almost always on point. On those occasions though.......for example, when they started harping on Powers at last year's E3, I wanted to slam my head into my keyboard within five minutes. This continued for the next what felt like three hours.

Ironically, Powers is really good.

Halo and Gears are still monster IP though man. And Forza is a critically acclaimed darling, in fact, it's reviewed much better than GT for a while now, just hasn't got anywhere close to it sales. I think MS has solid franchises to build off, but I'm not sure they'll be back next gen with the same approach, I would imagine, just like Windows, MS will look to consolidate their platforms with PC more next gen.

Next gen? I understand the pessimistic attitude towards Microsoft and PC gaming but are we not expecting this to start happening next week and with the release of Win 10?

What a sweet line-up right there. Sony would indeed do well to showcase the myriad of awesome looking Japanese games making their way over here. It's too good to ignore. Even Star Ocean 5 looks pretty good if you ignore the pink-haired childhood friend with the demented face.

I've addressed this before and I don't really want to go into it again, but here's an earlier post of mine explaining why I don't want a focus on VR at E3.

Long story short, regardless of what quality the footage shown is, motion controls and a stage in front of a live audience don't mix.

Agreed. I really think Morpheus will sell great, but I'd be surprised if it gets more than ten minutes on stage. How do you effectively showcase something only the user can truly get the full brunt of?

Luke_Wal

Really surprised that Sony announced Meat Boy this week. I remember Binding of Isaac being announced on stage with the same treatment. I'm really starting to think we're going to see some megatons next week... Everybody's putting out their lower-tier stuff early.

Luke_Wal

Agreed. I really think Morpheus will sell great, but I'd be surprised if it gets more than ten minutes on stage. How do you effectively showcase something only the user can truly get the full brunt of?

While I bet there is very little dedicated time to Morpheus, and no on-stage demos, a large majority of first-party games will be compatible with or exclusive to Morpheus (Media Molecule's in particular, which I expect to be its big launch game). I expect Horizon to have Morpheus support, as will Bend's game.

I really hope we get more than a 5 minute demo for Battlefront. EA needs to prove that this is the game that we deserve, even if its not the one we need right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom