• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one, welcome our Morpheus overlord.

No doubt Sony are going to go hard promoting VR.
Expect no less than 15 minutes of demo time, sorry guys.

And MM game reveal will include Morpheus support.

farisr

Not sure why so much excitement over quantum break, Alan wake was mediocre at everything except story, and the initial reveal the gameplay looked average.
I personally had very little interest in Alan Wake but am interested in this. It's a TPS, sure, but I'm liking the way the time mechanic seems to be, also the game's visual style/effects looks cool to me.
Morpheus will take up half Sony's conference easily.
If you count "this game will have morpheus support" and include the entire game's demonstration into account, then maybe. I honestly don't expect more than 15 minutes, and that would require a game demo or two to fill that time.

The resurfacing of Japanese support makes me pretty happy, especially after last generation's mess.

Agree, some of the best games still come from japan imo (Souls, Bloodborne, Persona for example). I also find they are very unique and creative, find a lot of western games are copies of themselves.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2015-06-0819_20_36-su24stj.png

original.gif

Agreed. I really think Morpheus will sell great, but I'd be surprised if it gets more than ten minutes on stage. How do you effectively showcase something only the user can truly get the full brunt of?

Exactly. It's going to be a tough sell showcasing that tech in the environment of a live conference. I know it, you know it, but I'm worried that the execs who decide what gets shown and what doesn't aren't savvy enough to quite grasp why it's a bad idea.

While I bet there is very little dedicated time to Morpheus, and no on-stage demos, a large majority of first-party games will be compatible with or exclusive to Morpheus (Media Molecule's in particular, which I expect to be its big launch game). I expect Horizon to have Morpheus support, as will Bend's game.

Yup. In fact, I'd expect most first-party and third-party exclusives from Sony to support Morpheus when it releases.

Sephzilla

Every Sony E3 presser has that one segment that goes on longer than it should (Wonderbook & Powers being recent examples). Morpheus will be this years equivalent

Exactly. It's going to be a tough sell showcasing that tech in the environment of a live conference. I know it, you know it, but I'm worried that the execs who decide what gets shown and what doesn't aren't savvy enough to quite grasp why it's a bad idea.

You can't deny the potential entertainment value of such an occurrence, however :)

However, I believe guys like Shu and House are savvier then that. Talk about the tech (which according to people who've demoed it is amazing), why we want to buy one, give us a good price point and launch date w/titles, and move on.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I hope VR is priced well, and I hope it succeeds. I am not sure why some seem to want it to fail, new ways to experience games are welcome in my book and VR has lots of potential imo.

I hope it does well as well. SOme of the underwater VR stuff would just be too much fun.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Every Sony E3 presser has that one segment that goes on longer than it should (Wonderbook & Powers being recent examples). Morpheus will be this years equivalent

That makes no sense at all. Morpheus is the kind of thing that makes sense to talk about at an E3 event. Wonderbook and Powers are not.

farisr

I honestly could've sworn it was at E3 or PSX last year where they themselves mentioned that this is not something they will demo on stage as it doesn't showcase the true experience, and to go "experience it for yourself on the showloor" instead, but I tried sifting through both the conferences and could not find it. Did I just imagine that? Or am I some sort of psychic and saw a vision of what they were going to say in this conference instead? LOL.

Ya, that's what I meant, a trailer, they won't spend time on Gameplay. They are "first on Xbox" so I see them involving it in some way to announce their next DLC/expansion. EA did after all say last week that they aren't done with the story DLC yet which is what I'm basing it on: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sounds-like-more-dragon-age-inquisition-story-dlc-/1100-6427746/

I'm really hoping they have been working on a larger scale expansion personally

The "First on Xbox" thing was only for the first single-player DLC and is no longer in play, apparently. I'm guessing we'll see a trailer at EA's conference.

amnesiac

I honestly could've sworn it was at E3 or PSX last year where they themselves mentioned that this is not something they will demo on stage as it doesn't showcase the true experience, and to go "experience it for yourself on the showloor" instead, but I tried sifting through both the conferences and could not find it. Did I just imagine that? Or am I some sort of psychic and saw a vision of what they were going to say in this conference instead? LOL.

GDC I think? I remember watching and hearing that a couple days ago.

I'm so excited for Morpheus. It's something that I'm going to buy unlike Powers or Wonderbook, so I don't care if they spend a long time on it.

If No Man's Sky and The Witness are confirmed to use Morpheus, that would make my E3. Hope to see a release date for those games, too.

Highly doubt your going to see a huge importance on Japanese games from Sony in 2015.

It's just not happening like that anymore. At most you may see Persona or something but that's it.

Level 5 are already confirmed to be showing a game, and I'm sure Japan Studio has been up to a lot since Knack. Gravity Rush 2? Gran Turismo 7? I wouldn't bet on Japanese games not having a decent presence at their show.

Nice that we are finally talking about Morpheus guys for those of you believing it will fail, It won't. The execs have already mentioned it will have amazing launch title support and I can confirm they already have 20 games that will support it at launch. Nice piece of tech, wonder how many games they will announce at E3 with so many devs interested in porting games to it.

LOL, 15 minutes it is then.

I've seen an alternate reality. Through the The Matrix I met Morpheus.

It was 15 minutes of pure Wonderbook-esque bliss.

To be honest you should just prepare yourself for a likely Morpheus blowout.

I've already accepted that potential fate.

klaushm

As Verendus talked about VR it seems that Sony is aware people need to try it more than see.
We've got plenty of media with VR, but most don't, or at least not a major release for VR. And people need to try demos at E3, markets(gamestop) and other placea. That's the way.

Saying that I mean it sound unreasonable to go on a conference focused on VR itself, instead, as I've cited GT7 cockpit on my last post, they should do this smothly and with several demos to try it there.

ZarKryn7

I just feel Sony has strong cards to play yet they won't play all of them. Instead they'll go with the weak and stupid cards and play few strong cards.

Strong cards (IMO)
-Gravity Rush 2
-Ratchet and Clank PS4
•UC4 will be there no doubt
- Persona 5 (I hope they show)
- Level 5's ps4 game
- GG new IP
-Bend's new IP
- GG Cambridge game (most likely a no show)
- Time
- everybody goes to the rapture
- shadows of the beast
- WiLD
- Tomorrow Children
- Until Dawn
- MM's new IP
- Sony London's Morpheus IP

And of course, The Last Gaurdian

And now to the shit cards:

-move
-3rd party BS
- TV
-sales sales sales
- Shawn Layden ( sorry Shawn, you don't know Jack on talking to gamers unlike Uncle Jack tretton)
- more than 20 minutes on Morpheus

Do you know if P5 will be at E3 on PS4?

I'm pretty sure it will be but its nice to have some form of confirmation.

I'm not convinced it will. I personally love the Persona series, but JRPGs aren't the emerging juggernaut they were in the days of FFVII. The tech for FFVII back in the day was staggering and let's face it, quite a few people who had never played an RPG period were buying it for the way it looked, not for gameplay or story or the FF name. I remember a few kids in my HS who picked it up for the graphics, then got bored because it wasn't hack n'slash. We'll see, but I have my doubts. Today's crowd wants Uncharted 4, Battlefront, CoD, Destiny etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....I'm drooling for the first two. But my point is: FFVII was absolutely, unequivocally a PS system seller. Those days are gone.

But it'd be nice, because I really want P5 in the worst way.

Luke_Wal

This isn't something I've seen brought up at all: what do you think is the likelihood of GG Cambridge announcing their (assumedly) PS4 Killzone game at E3? It's been almost 2 years now, and they've proven themselves to be able to do quick turnarounds on games. It seems more like a PGW announcement to me, maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a Morpheus title. They need their FPS if they're launching a VR headset, and Killzone's already used Move before!

Stampy

While I bet there is very little dedicated time to Morpheus, and no on-stage demos, a large majority of first-party games will be compatible with or exclusive to Morpheus (Media Molecule's in particular, which I expect to be its big launch game). I expect Horizon to have Morpheus support, as will Bend's game.

I doubt Media Molecule would create a 60 fps UGC game. If anything, they will have some segments of the game with Morpheus support (such as sculpting), but I really don't think they will aim for the whole gaime to be created for VR (optional or not).

Pachimari

This isn't something I've seen brought up at all: what do you think is the likelihood of GG Cambridge announcing their (assumedly) PS4 Killzone game at E3? It's been almost 2 years now, and they've proven themselves to be able to do quick turnarounds on games. It seems more like a PGW announcement to me, maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a Morpheus title. They need their FPS if they're launching a VR headset, and Killzone's already used Move before!

0%.

They'll get Horizon out there first.

Not sure if this is new or not but the NA ATLUS website is listing Persona 5 as a late 2015 title.

So it looks like its coming out in the west this year too. Thank god.
I hope.

This have been known all the time.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So hyped for this game that I bought the Playstation UK mag with the article and artwork to be shipped over here to USA. Also just preordered the new Venom Snake sneaking suit Play Arts Kai figure.

Awesome! I have to get it too, that figure looks just awesome, so much detail.

MGSV-TPP-Sneaking-Suit-Snake-Play-Arts-1.jpg

MGSV-TPP-Sneaking-Suit-Snake-Play-Arts-4.jpg

MGSV-TPP-Sneaking-Suit-Snake-Play-Arts-2.jpg

Pachimari

Now I feel like shit for throwing my two Solid Snake figures out in the trash. =/

I used to be such a huge fan of the franchise, and then MGS4 killed it for me.

I mean just maintain the gap as it currently stands. In 2 years time you're looking at what.. Yet another Halo from a B tier studio, yet another Gears (albeit from probably an A tier studio), yet another Fable and a new IP from a studio that nobody has likely heard of. Maybe a timed exclusive or two.

The Xbox without paid third party exclusives and without a WWS network suddenly looks pretty unsustainable to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I guess Microsoft have the cash to moneyhat a big system seller, after all that's what they did with Halo which was originally a Mac game, but I just wonder if the big boys in Redmond won't be too keen on that this third time around. Especially not that the new management seems keen to move away from the devices market and back into software and services.

Microsoft has some things that are still under wraps. I think Microsoft Studios is making big bets on two of their smaller studios, Press Play and Twisted Pixel. Twisted Pixel is making a new "AAA" IP. In addition, they are still willing to make big bets on small studios like Moon (Ori) and Undead Labs (State of Decay).

I'm also pretty sure that Fable Legends is going to be the last Fable game that Lionhead makes.

Gears, Halo and Forza will continue to be pillar franchises for Xbox for the foreseeable future but I don't think that means that other games won't bet getting the green light.

I know some people tend to scoff at what Phil Spencer says but he does talk about needing franchises that fit within different genres. If you take a holistic view of their current first party offerings, you'll gain insight on his next big bets.

They have a strong presence in the sci-fi FPS, sci-fi TPS and driving genres. They have a killer zombie game, a good fighter and, now, a great Metroidvania (Ori). There are major holes in the following:

Action/Adventure
Platformer (3D and 2D)
RPGs (I would only expect large bets that would appeal to Western audiences)

Software development takes time though and given the pivot away from Kinect, I think they are behind the eight ball a little bit. They have probably cancelled multiple Kinect projects but haven't had anything to fill the holes with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom