• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Officially Cancelled

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Sucks. This would of been my 6th E3 and Xbox FanFest in a row. Hanging out with some of the best people I've met in my life. No beers with Greenie this year. No meeting up with friends at the Yardhouse at LA Live. No awesomeness of a new gen console coming and the fun if watching it all.

I feel they pulled this plug too early. Oh well.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its over :messenger_crying:
ci8uHlK.gif

E3 seems somewhat like a relic at this point. Gaming is much more accessible on platforms like YouTube or Twitter and surely its much easier to put together a Nintendo style direct than dedicate resources, staff and money to an expo hall for a few days.

Okay, it might be a good networking opportunity for smaller teams and devs but it isn't like MS and Sony are going to close the doors on meetings with those.

Let's face it, whilst this may not be the death knell for E3, I do think it is very much on borrowed time.

Vawn

Banned
So no more using smoke machines, dancers, cars on stage etc to hide a lack of quality games.

I guess you can still show the same games for several years before canceling them though.

Not naming anyone specific here...

Pejo

Sucks. This would of been my 6th E3 and Xbox FanFest in a row. Hanging out with some of the best people I've met in my life. No beers with Greenie this year. No meeting up with friends at the Yardhouse at LA Live. No awesomeness of a new gen console coming and the fun if watching it all.

I feel they pulled this plug too early. Oh well.
Not to scare you or anything, but did you know that the very people you were hanging out with weren't in fact the best people, but actually were gamers!

This sucks. E3 was like the "superbowl" of gaming. Hope there are some smaller events throughout the year to make up the lack of a big event full of reveals/info.

YukiOnna

Sad. I know it's for health reasons so it's justified with the virus going around, but I fear digital events may just become the standard in the following year. That's just not the same as having a physical conference, watching and experiencing that- especially E3 which I look forward to ever Summer.

Reactions: Isa

xrnzaaas

this actually might have a ripple effect for future years.

i can easily see all digital events becoming the standard
I don't think it's a bad thing. It's way cheaper this way, everyone can watch the presentations on the Internet and you can make business deals elsewhere. For me big expos like E3 or Gamescom are very different from Comic Con-like events which are actually about fans & creators meeting together and sharing their passions.

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I don't think it's a bad thing. It's way cheaper this way and everyone can watch the presentations on the Internet. For me big expos like E3 or Gamescom are very different from Comic Con-like events which are actually about fans & creators meeting together and sharing their passions.

i mean i agree - conferences like this can modernize and adapt.

TheMan

The whole thing is just sad- not just the cancellation, but the diminished importance of the event itself. Miss that mid-year Christmas feeling, especially with the store discounts and shadow drops.

I guess the VGAs will have to do. Good luck Geoff.

Top Bottom