• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Officially Cancelled

Javthusiast

Banned
If the the publishers all come together and agree to release their digital shows in the same week, then we basically have an e3 anyway. If they all do it weeks apart then the feeling of gaming christmas will be gone, yes.

Trilobit

Gold Member
esKFfxX.png

Here comes the E3 Bear tear. :messenger_crying:

Vawn

Banned
this sucks now all those games aren't coming out this year ???

I assume you're joking, but how some people are acting, you'd think this is the case. As if games that were going to be announced at E3 won't be announced at all and will disappear from existence.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Well....knowing how important E3 is, looks like the whole game industry is going to fail. How are we going to buy games now? You know we NEED to see a game on a stage at a certain location live on TV in order to get any information broz.

I mean...how on earth are we going to be able to view footage of games now? If only some application existed that could stream video footage and store it so others could view videos at a later date and all companies could put their trailers, reveals etc on this application and all gamers could view such a thing /s

As for me, someone who doesn't watch the show live, nothing will change.
One way or another all the developers and publishers will still reveal stuff during the usual time period.

mortal

I hope xbox will have a stream event and a lot sooner than e3.

Here is hoping.
They don't have much of a choice at this point if they intend to launch Xbox series X this holiday.

Worst case scenario is coronavirus affecting manufacturing and delaying the launch of next-gen consoles to early next year.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
They don't have much of a choice at this point if they intend to launch Xbox series X this holiday.

Worst case scenario is coronavirus affecting manufacturing and delaying the launch of next-gen consoles to early next year.
I am a firm believer of no next gen this year.
Wont get into detail but we can take it for granted.

On the upside we might have the best launch lineup ever in console history.

And now that there ia nothing in the way , mr spencer , ITS TIME.
Show us the goods.
Put out a live stream . I want to see him in a hazmat suit doing an unboxing.

mortal

I am a firm believer of no next gen this year.
Wont get into detail but we can take it for granted.

On the upside we might have the best launch lineup ever in console history.

And now that there ia nothing in the way , mr spencer , ITS TIME.
Show us the goods.
Put out a live stream . I want to see him in a hazmat suit doing an unboxing.
Same, I'm becoming more convinced with the cancelation of major events in other industries every week.

Although I'd imagine even game production being impacted for certain developers working on launch titles.
Some could make due with having their teams work remotely as to not disrupted their pipelines.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
There was some bad e3's..

Konami had some just awful ones..
Nintendo especially wii music
Sony $599, giant enemy crabs
Xbox one forced kinect and to be connected at all times
Plus the many leaks lately before the show.

It's game over for e3.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It's game over for e3.
And the end of UBI MP demos with scripted voice actors.

Mudit Shwarma

Neo Member
In this digital age, digital events is the way to go. They should also bring back downloadable demos for the public. Just to fuel the hype and conversations on social media. They did this years ago on the PS3 and 360 days with lost planet, fight night, and a few other demos that came out on the same day as E3. Make it an event, that doesn't need to be a physical event.

I know most of the demos shown during E3 are on suped up PCs (people eventually cry downgrade, when it releases) and with next gen around the corner I doubt many developers/publishers would want to showcase anything on older hardware.

But without E3, getting the entire internet to get hands on with a slice or conceptual taste of the full experience will get you more attention and word of mouth rather than just the physical event. Especially if you couple it with a digital event that showcases what some of these games will look like on next gen/given time.

Last edited:

Diddy X

They will make it digital and we will like it, next year they won't even bother with a freakin 20th century gathering.

Vawn

Banned
You know how they've shown PlayStation conferences at movie theaters. Maybe, this will be THE way this information is initially revealed.

lefty1117

Gold Member
you think about all those people, the developers and program leaders and art directors, and their families. wtf they must be thinking right now with all these games dead because coronavirus cancelled E3. can you imagine

Vawn

Banned
you think about all those people, the developers and program leaders and art directors, and their families. wtf they must be thinking right now with all these games dead because coronavirus cancelled E3. can you imagine

No games are dead because of E3 being canceled.

If you were being sarcastic, sorry I missed it.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
The streaming numbers will solidify the future of E3 as a successful digital event for the future. The coronavirus just happened to be the final nail in it's coffin a year or two early.
It will be the end of e3!
A company can just release their own YouTube videos.

Longcat

It's game over for e3.
You say that like it's a bad thing. E3 cringe is the greatest.

But seriously, I'll miss E3. As a viewer, it was just convenient to have an event where all the major players got together for a few days to unveil all their cool shit at once. And it was so fun to hear the crowd lose their minds at unexpected reveals. Sure, they'll probably keep going with digital events from now on, but man, I'll miss the crowd reactions.

Gargus

Banned
Ok so now I'll have to go online to get my game announcement news just like I did all those other years. So basically nothing has changed.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Ok so now I'll have to go online to get my game announcement news just like I did all those other years. So basically nothing has changed.

I'm saying, this is just such a non-issue for 99% of gamers. No one is basing if they buy a game or not based on WHERE the event is held or WHERE its announced etc. The fact that RE3's reveal trailer got millions more views then the RE2 reveal and that was at E3 shows a lot.

vs

Yet folks are shocked that many publishers just reveal some titles randomly on Youtube out of the blue? So you could either try to market your game the same fucking day 100 other games get revealed, or you could randomly drop a trailer and own the media cycle ALONE for the next few days.

Bakkus

Not gonna matter in regards to Nintendo (other than for the people who were going), because they're still gonna have a direct.

Barakov

Gold Member
You know how they've shown PlayStation conferences at movie theaters. Maybe, this will be THE way this information is initially revealed.
Food, refreshments and comfortable chairs. Superior to the real E3 in every way. Plus you could get up and go the bathroom when the conference goes on for too long.

thelastword

Banned
They are expecting online? This is how most people watched it in the first place......Yet if there is no location their presentations might be more subdued......

I see no reason to go through an E3 body to do a presentation online as opposed to Bethesda, MS, Ubisoft etc... just doing it through their very own twitch channels.

Top Bottom