• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Officially Cancelled

Romulus

I've been keeping up with E3 since the mid 90s I think. Has it ever been canceled?

I remember waiting for the game magazines to give me the scoop on E3 weeks after it happened. Lol. I couldn't wait.

Vawn

Banned
These types of replies I'd imagine come from people that have never been to an E3, or a Fanfest. because there's lot's of value lost.

They'll still have that type of stuff. I don't care for walking through huge crowds to wait in lines to play games.

As long as the game announcements come, without all the boring fluff, I'm all for E3 going away.

Great Hair

Banned
And all that because someone fancied eating a succulent chinese meal. I hope you all know your yudo well. Ya might have to fight for food, rations ... Tataaaaa!

Fun Fanboy

Banned
They'll still have that type of stuff. I don't care for walking through huge crowds to wait in lines to play games.

As long as the game announcements come, without all the boring fluff, I'm all for E3 going away.
Well I like hanging out with all the friends I've met over the years. It's more than lines and crowds. It's chilling with people. Having good times with others. Experiencing first hand the announcements with others that like the same thing you do. Beers, food.. friends. Parties. It's awesome being in the Xbox presser. It's great going to twitch parties and seeing celebs. It's just a fun party time. At least for me. To each our own.

kareemna

This is really sad. Especially for the organizers and many in the gaming industry who are so passionate to show their work.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So we’re going to get 10 pre-recorded digital directs from MS, EA, UBI etc.... that sucks.

I prefer a live stage show even if it has dumb filler like that stoned Wii guy playing drums.

Joe T.

Well I like hanging out with all the friends I've met over the years. It's more than lines and crowds. It's chilling with people. Having good times with others. Experiencing first hand the announcements with others that like the same thing you do. Beers, food.. friends. Parties. It's awesome being in the Xbox presser. It's great going to twitch parties and seeing celebs. It's just a fun party time. At least for me. To each our own.

My sentiments exactly. I haven't been to E3 in a really long time (2005 was my last), but it was always a great time. Much better in person than watching it back at home. Though there's a photo I've seen posted here before that gives off a different impression, shows the crowd at Konami's booth waiting around for the reveal of Metal Gear Solid 2 or 3's trailer right after the doors opened and I'm standing there looking impatient/unamused. 😄

mortal

Its over :messenger_crying:
ci8uHlK.gif
lol good times.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Between major companies dropping out and the show still being open to the public, I'm happy about this. I didn't want to go.

mortal

I know that some love the spectacle of E3, I do as well.

Although this could be the catalyst for a great and much need change to how games are shown or previewed to audiences going forward,

Downloadable "E3 demos" that go live during E3 week would be wonderful. Much better than having to wait ages to just get to play some games for yourself.

I was going to make a witty comment about going outside this summer but we might be ordered to stay in if this goes on long enough.

Vawn

Banned
I know that some love the spectacle of E3, I do as well.

Although this could be the catalyst for a great and much need change to how games are shown or previewed to audiences going forward,

Downloadable "E3 demos" that go live during E3 week would be wonderful. Much better than having to wait ages to just get to play some games for yourself.

Yeah. What's the point of letting people wait hours to play a game for 10 minutes? Just put up short demos online following your press conference.

E3 is the newspaper of the new generation. There are better ways of doing things today because of technology, but some people hate change.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
An E3 needs to happen. Maybe not in some motel or convention center form. It's really the only (and best) way for gaming companies to showcase and communicate their products to the masses. It's a tradition and has been for many years. Bottom line is, something needs to happen whether a complete redesign and simplified event in physical form or through broadcasting/PPV showing(s). There's no way in hell people are going to watch 10 different streams from different publishers broadcasting their wares if an all-broadcasted/televised E3 didn't take place to bring it all together in one complete package, as E3 has done. I'd probably pay $15 to watch the show if it was produced by a decent team.

I remember way back when during the 1990's, my brothers and I would watch the E3 shows on VHS. ultrazilla ultrazilla would order the tape each year and it was awesome watching all the upcoming games. Time sure does past quickly, but I still remember the great showcased games of past E3's like Super Mario 64, Panzer Dragoon (Saturn), Daytona USA (Saturn) Donkey Kong Country (SNES), Starfox (SNES), Die Hard Trilogy (PS1), Aliens vs Predator (Atari Jaguar) like they were yesterday. What a time it was in the gaming world. So many hits releasing week after week it seemed, for all systems. E3 is a special event I imagine for many, many people around the world. Not just me. It's a tradition. An event. A purpose. One in which all gaming companies should continue put their input in at the table and change with the times. Instead of walking away, take what was already built and make it even better. Do not let gaming history and meaning of it become lost. Rebuild it stronger than ever before.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Hard to not assume backing out and blaming COVID-19 is just an excuse. Considering Keighley and a number of other folks that dropped out, it wasn't looking so hot regardless. It'll be cool to see how this is all handled coming directly from devs and pubs.

D

Deleted member 779727

Unconfirmed Member
A message to every game developer/publisher. There's this thing called the Internet. You can use it to upload prerecorded videos on a website called YouTube.

Ar¢tos

PGW, Gamescom and TGS will probably be cancelled too.
State of Play model for everyone now.
We only have 30 something confirmed cases here and I got a notice from City Hall saying that all public fairs/events are cancelled until further notice and requesting people to avoid funerals, birthday parties, etc.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
E3 was and still is an important event every year, it’s a time to showcase games and hardware. Every industry has these events and anybody wishing it to die is just wrong. CES every year showcases new consumer electronics, the big comic cons launch trailers and stuff for films and assorts. E3 is our version of those events

NickFire

Seems premature to cancel it 3 months out when the outdoor whether season is around the corner. But with no market leader for the second time in a row, it was probably on shaky ground anyway I would guess. Either way, I doubt it comes back unless Sony commits to it before they plan another one.

Top Bottom