• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Officially Cancelled

belmarduk

Motherfucker.
Luckily, Nintendo has already moved to doing more directs and I don't think this will affect them too much.
It sucks for all the people who worked so hard on games not to get the main showcase this year, though.

Wunray

51b.gif
Sigh

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks that this has to happen, but I fully expect most publishers who were planning conferences/shows will still go forward with some kind of announcement presentation around the same timing.

Fbh

Good news for the organizers. Now when the show dies in a couple of years they can blame it on how they "couldn't recover from the year we had to cancel due to coronavirus" and not on their own bad management

Edit:

"Journalists" will try to make events like these seem extremely important because it's one of the few moments in the year where they are still relevant. We don't need them to watch a direct, a new trailer or playing a demo/beta. But at events they get their hands on experiences and behind closed door demos that still make them feel important.

Last edited:
Are you telling me that now I can't listen to the glorious excitement from the crowd when things like loot boxes are implemented on Bethesda games??

Great, glorified marketing convention is done for. Next up is Apple Keynote if we are lucky.

RAIDEN1

Its a shadow of its former self these days - E3- back in the mid 90's there were more "players on the block" ie 3DO (if the M2 went ahead) Sony, Sega, Nintendo etc...now its just the best of 2 and not even that with Sony also thinking of going it alone for the 2nd year running, though I'd be surprised if even that goes ahead...

Needlecrash

Sucks that it got cancelled. If the digital only show proves to be successful, then maybe that's an avenue the ESA and developers can pursue.

Da-Kid

Eve
Are you telling me that now I can't listen to the glorious excitement from the crowd when things like loot boxes are implemented on Bethesda games??
Nope, they'll just add audience applause digitally now.

Last edited:
Those celebrating should be more concerned if they hoped this would kill E3. E3 has basically been protected because this is happening to far more than just E3 as a result of the coronavirus. E3 can come back next year and, due to the one year off, possibly end up being bigger than ever. When something gets a bit of a break it has a large tendency to trigger that much more excitement for the next time it comes around. And considering I don't see videogames becoming LESS popular come this time next year, I'd say E3 is fine.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
That sucks. E3 is a shell of what it used to be but there are still usually a few good announcements. E3 time on GAF is always fun times too.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
R.I.P E3. One of my most favorite times of the year, has been since 2007. Man, well over a decade of excitement and pure gaming bliss. E3... you will be missed, by me at least.

Nero_PR

Banned
Better than going through the embarrassment that it would be. Better they change it all and do a full stream of it and it is the best they could have done.

iorek21

Really liked E3's week, lots of demos, conferences, goofs and stuff... too bad Coronavirus forced it to be cancelled

Here's hoping that 2021 brings it back

2020 will end up being a lost year

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That sucks. E3 is a shell of what it used to be but there are still usually a few good announcements. E3 time on GAF is always fun times too.
The fact is for better or worst things always change, nothing ever stays the same, even before this whole virus stuff we were seeing E3 was slowly dying off. We might see something else replace it or find new way to give us new for their upcoming games.

Arkam

I can only imagine all the "journalists" having meltdowns over the loss of a few days of expensed partying and pretending to be an insider on the internet. Oh those poor poor people.

I'm sorry, but these meetings can be arranged another time. If you rely on trade shows to get deals done then you have a fundamental problem in how you're going about marketing and pitching yourself.

This is a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Trade shows of all sorts, not just videogames, is where tons of networking goes on which leads to deals being made and new ventures being formed. That has always been the purpose of trade shows and I am sure E3 was no different in that regard.

GHG

This is a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Trade shows of all sorts, not just videogames, is where tons of networking goes on which leads to deals being made and new ventures being formed. That has always been the purpose of trade shows and I am sure E3 was no different in that regard.

Of course trade show networking helps but it should be supplementary to your ordinary strategy, you cannot rely on it. If not attending a trade show means it's make or break for your business or any deals you're looking to do then it's time to reassess.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Good to see Phil & Xbox are being proactive in planning a digital event. Since we already know a lot about the XsX,. We just need the price and anticipated release date. I hope they'll use most of the broadcast to show us a lot of the games the new studios have been working on.

Hopefully Sony will also do a digital event around that time and show everyone the PS5 logo from different angles

Life

Doesn't make a difference to me...I'll still be watching trailer at home either way.

Last edited:
as much as I agree that E3 is no longer living up to it's former glory, I will still miss all the hype and funny moments it provides. I've been to a few E3 before it all went south and it is definitely an interesting experience. hopefully the switch to the digital format will do them some good.

Still no comment from the mayor? lol
/jk

I'm a bit salty since it will be the first E3 i'll miss in since 2006, but it's inevitable at this point. I hope that things will turn well soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom