• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA holding live conf on PS4 today at Morgan Stanley tech conf [Up: Summary in OP]

slider

Great. Didn't even give him a chance to spill the beans??? :(

edit: Was he banned because he teased? Cause it didn't seem like he was given enough time to just say what he was talking about.

Well he could have said it in his original post rather than something as vague as he did. Could be seen as seeking attention.

That's not to say he didn't have a source. But if he did it was handled ineptly.

Sorry, I've got it off my chest now.

industry insiderp

8d5f5a6f052e59dbdc89abd5a2e5a9e2.gif

Cat

No pricing on retail games set, but you may see a trend of "$69.99" at start and dropping down to $59.99 similar to the beginning of the current generation.

I don't think this would be a good trend. A lot of people have already reached the conclusion of just waiting for a price drop, so they will either wait longer or stop buying, I don't really seem them spending extra.

baphomet

Damn man, I wanted to know what it was as well lol.
Just make something slightly plausible up and you'll have about a 10% chance at being right too. And then if its not you can just say you were given the wrong information. It's a win-win!

Gemüsepizza;48376748 said:
I guess he just refered to an idea he had or something, not suggest that he has super secret insider information - because why else would he write that it has a "10% chance" of it becoming true?
Should of just said it then.

Oh it makes sense. MS' devkit was more powerful than the Sony one. So devs produced better looking games on Durango so far. So before the release of both consoles, nextbox games will look better in presentations because devs had better hardware with the Durango devkit. After the launch Sony will beat the nextbox because specs of the final ps4 kit are much better than its devkit.

he said Durangos will downgrade which makes no sense unless hardware has been changed from the original target.

ekim

Man that's a weird post. So PS4 games will look better at release than at the unveiling, Xbox games will look worse at release than at E3, but overall GAF needs to be prepared for Xbox games to look better than PS4 games.

Wat?

You won't be missed thuway.

Gaf needs to be prepared for better looking Xbox games on E3 and on launch. Games that started development on the better/final PS4 devkit will look better.

I wish the mods would just clean house to separate the real discussion between members who are actually in the industry from the members who are just 'speculating' and pretending to be insiders.

Reiko

Banned
he's been feeding bs all day anyway.

Don't know about what he posted all day, but he's right about MS's plans for 100% Durango GPU efficiency. But he's not the only one that stated that.

Also that doesn't rule out Sony engineering their GPU for 100% efficiency as well.

The goal is to get the most that you can out of hardware.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yeah, things are getting out of hand. They're squeezing every possible drop of profit out of us rather than scaling things back on their end. I honestly don't think this will go over well with consumers. I mean... $70? A lot of mainstream gamers won't see the difference to justify that price hike. The publishers would be shooting themselves in the foot.

It isn't just the price of entry, though. It's all the other stuff that goes with it. Battlefield 3 was a $60 game with a $50 DLC pack. Plus all the pay to unlock stuff. It's just too much.

It's like companies like EA want the AAA boxed market and the free 2 play market and the DLC market all rolled in to one.

Espada

what do you guys make of this?

I expect it to become very common in next gen games along with more DLC. I have a serious problem with this already, especially with single player games. It makes the $70 game you played WORTHLESS once online is disabled for the game.

CrunchinJelly said:
It isn't just the price of entry, though. It's all the other stuff that goes with it. Battlefield 3 was a $60 game with a $50 DLC pack. Plus all the pay to unlock stuff. It's just too much.

It's like companies like EA want the AAA boxed market and the free 2 play market and the DLC market all rolled in to one.
Yup, that's good ole amortization. If you told people Battlefield was $110 they'd bolt. So they fleece people by nibbling at their wallet with various things.

All this is based on the assumption that gamers are akin to drug addicts and MUST purchase and play these games.

slider

Don't know about what he posted all day, but he's right about MS's plans for 100% Durango GPU efficiency. But he's not the only one that stated that.

Also that doesn't rule out Sony engineering their GPU for 100% efficiency as well.

Has that 100% efficiency thing been confirmed then? Aside from the fact that 100% efficiency strikes me as impossible!

Man that's a weird post. So PS4 games will look better at release than at the unveiling, Xbox games will look worse at release than at E3, but overall GAF needs to be prepared for Xbox games to look better than PS4 games.

Wat?

You won't be missed thuway.

I think he was preparing gaf for Xbox games looking better at Reveal/E3. He just worded it awkwardly.

(I am not saying I believe any of it; that is just how I interpreted it)

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Damn Thuway, you keep doing things that could possibly get you banned man. Hope they don't.

edit: nvm ;(

I could see that happening from both, but i doubt 100% efficiency is achievable and even if it was what he hinted at was a downgrade of the GPU/CPU

J-Rzez

Perhaps he was referencing to at E3 MS will be showing off "Target Renders" a-la Sony's PS3 showings, while Sony has been going for in game, and they'll end up getting "upgraded" upon release due to the increase of GDDR5. It sounds many devs, even Sony internal studios were caught off guard with the doubling of RAM?

Damnit to hell though if the prices of games go up to $69.99. That's usual "special/collector" edition packages. I thought DLC was supposed to recoup all these costs? Also noted in this is that costs are going up 5-10%, but at the same time "things that took months to do will be done within weeks", so they're going to crank output up, either that being from "simplified programming" or perhaps "simplified programming plus larger teams".

Better see BF4 soon though. Anticipation is killing me.

industry insiderp

Is it ok to PM you or another mod when somone does this? Like other people have said it has become increasingly annoying that these handful of posters make weird vague statements of "things they know" without giving any real info.

I don't think it would cut down on any real new info coming because of people not wanting to be banned because even if they actually do have 100% legit info none of them actually post what they know and just lead this endless loop of bullshit.

Thuway has been PMing me a lot recently asking about PS4 specs. He said he has "a group of guys that know stuff."

I figured he was 12 and told him I didn't know anything.

Anyway, back on topic... didn't gies say something about EA and Sony not getting along as well as they used to? I wonder if there's something to it. I was surprised when they weren't at the PS4 event. Their excuse seems flimsy.

ekim

I recently commented on that. This claim comes from a standard GCN feature. (1D SIMDs instead of multi-D SIMDs) So the PS4 will have the same advantage if I understand it correctly.

slider

^ekim, is that GCN feature something separate from that other rumour about Durango's ability to predict memory calls? Or something like that...

It's in the leaked slide.

Whether that pans out is anybody's guess.

Thanks for replying dude. Just to confirm... the slide from June 2012? Or have there been more?

I should really play closer attention if I'm gonna participate usefully. :(

Dragon

Banned
I'm really confused. EA didn't want to piss off MS by being at Sony's event, but that same logic would apply to Sony if EA appeared at MS' event right? I mean EA wants to support both of their next gen platforms. Doesn't really make sense.

Reiko

Banned
Does your slides contain info on the CPU? so many rumors going around about it

No it doesn't.

Just briefly goes over what was shown from VGleaks on the GPU and Data Move Engines.

^ekim, is that GCN feature something separate from that other rumour about Durango's ability to predict memory calls? Or something like that...

Thanks for replying dude. Just to confirm... the slide from June 2012? Or have there been more?

I should really play closer attention if I'm gonna participate usefully. :(

There's no date on the document, unless I'm reading something wrong.

Anyway, back on topic... didn't gies say something about EA and Sony not getting along as well as they used to? I wonder if there's something to it. I was surprised when they weren't at the PS4 event. Their excuse seems flimsy.

He also said the same about Destiny not being there on the night. It was there. He also said third parties in general wouldn't be invited, but Capcom, Square and ActiBlizz were invited and showed stuff.

Then he started shit about EA and Sony not getting one well and implying that we might see MS exclusives from them, EA just confirmed BF4 and FIFA for PS4.

Seriously he just seems to be very down on PS4/Sony for some reason, maybe Kaz ran over his dog or something.

Mrbob

I'm really confused. EA didn't want to piss off MS by being at Sony's event, but that same logic would apply to Sony if EA appeared at MS' event right? I mean EA wants to support both of their next gen platforms. Doesn't really make sense.

Maybe EA will hold their own event.

Why would one assume that they'll be at MS's event? Perhaps they simply plan to hold their own event, or unveil their next-gen titles at their E3 presser.

Glad EA didn't get moneyhatted by MS. I know the company would have never said yes, but happy as fuck BF4 will be there for launch.

PS4 and maybe even the nextbox has the potential to be the greatest launch lineup ever.

ZaCH3000

5-10% increase in cost of production yet they can reduce the time it takes to do things in this generation from months to weeks? Bullshit, EA.

$69.99 price point and I'm out. I don't care how good the game is EA or any publisher for that matter, price it at $69.99 and you will lose me as a customer. And hopefully if other people have common sense they will flip the finger in your direction as well.

I'm leaning towards the idea that:

a) What Mrbob said is true and that EA will hold their own event

or

b) Maybe the games are just not ready for prime time at this stage in their development?

Top Bottom