• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles.

Hanmik

http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-...ar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/

Several development sources have told us that they expect game publishers to implement similar DRM policies across Xbox One and PS4, despite what has unfolded at E3 this week.

Our contacts described Sony’s conference announcements as a PR play, and revealed that its decision to go DRM-free was made at the very last minute.

Each platform holder’s DRM policy has changed continually over the last few months, they said, though Microsoft’s initial stance was much tougher than its position today. This suggests that the platform holder’s decision to let publishers decide for themselves whether to implement DRM on Xbox One was not part of the original plan.

Ultimately, the developers we spoke to understand the need to protect the revenues made on their work, and expect to see broadly similar DRM restrictions across both PS4 and Xbox One – in one instance, it was suggested that these measures were essential for the console business to survive.

We were also told that final publishing agreements will not be drawn up for at least another month, so the terms of engagement could yet change once more before each console launches at the end of the year.

Didn't Sony mention that DRM will be left to pubs, If EA decided to have online-requirement for something like ME, Sony can't tell them no.

3rd party devs wont do jack shit. They love the Xbone since the blame on the measures used goes straight to MS whereas they try to do the same shit on PS4, they get put in the spotlight and every media outlet will blow them up for it.

DBT85

The only way they can be similar is if a) Sony lied or b) Microsoft backtrack. I can see neither being true.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I want to see the backlash if they try to revert their statements.

They made a video of how game lending works on PS4 and it's been mirrored hundreds of times on YouTube.

Sakujou

Banned
I already said that this will happem because sony tends to adapt to the industry.
Have a look at the ps3:they stripped a lot of functions during this generation....

Curufinwe

Journalists still trying to spin the DRM in the PS4 being the same as the Xbone when it's actually the same as the PS3.

Dysun

I'm sure many next-gen games will require online and come with an online pass, some measure of preventing used sales

Publishers cannot block used games on PS4, they will only have the option to block online gamplay and set a charge for that. That's pretty clear now.

Striek

Nah, not going to get worked into a tizzy when the prevailing wisdom was that Sony were going to announce DRM exactly like the Xbox One and thats why they were holding back. FUD gonna FUD.

Pistolero

Yoshida just explained the whole stuff on the Beyond podcast. Unless everyone at Sony is lying, there will be no DRM.
Well, for the sake of Sony, I hope nothing is about to change...

They already clarified that it will work just like PS3.
It will, even if a third party bakes it's own anti used game DRM. Make no mistake, it could still happen, but at least you will have the choice to not by games with DRM versus those that don't.

Madness

I'd rather take it straight from the horse's mouth. Forget what some sites allegedly say. The top executives went on stage and also in later interviews and said, it'll be the same as it is on ps3.

What this means is no first party drm by Sony. But they can't stop EA, Ubisoft, Activision from using online passes or some stricter system.

Edit: and no, they wouldn't flat out lie to millions of consumers. If they planned something different, they wouldn't have said it in black and white terms. Same situation as ps3, no first party or system DRM by Sony.

TheD

The Detective
The xbone's DRM is part of the Xbone's software, so the DRM is not going to be the same on PS4 no matter what.
Pubs could of done custom DRM with the PS3 and 360, but they did not.
I do not see why it would change.

Feorax

I can't see how this would be possible without armageddon, since it was pretty clear when it was first stated, and then clarified even further.

No NEW DRM restrictions.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Nah, not going to get worked into a tizzy when the prevailing wisdom was that Sony were going to announce DRM exactly like the Xbox One and thats why they were holding back. FUD gonna FUD.
Yeah. It feels like extremely goal post moving by everyone who made predictions that Xbox One and PS4 will be exactly the same. Instead of eating crow you can perpetuate the idea that they are going to change this in the coming months.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think, publishers could also just make an internet connection madatory for their games, they would have to program it into the game though, instead of it being supported by the system itself. Sony could still provide means to check the online connection via PSN. So this could be possible. Still, you could decide game-by-game if you want to support this. My decision to buy or not to buy a PS4 will just be made according to the games that don't have online-check-ins. Games that cannot be played always offline just don't count as game-offerings to me and thus are ignored.

jaosobno

Sony clearly said that any potential DRM will be left up to the publishers.

And if publishers wanted to, they could put all games behind DRM wall even on the present gen.

So where is the scandal EDGE?

daxgame

I don't get it. Sony already said "we won't use them" and there is no fucking online check happening. If a publisher wants to do himself a DRM then there's no way Sony can tell 'em "NO".
I don't think even Nintendo could say no

nampad

Realistically, publishers could only use online passes for the PS4, right? Or is there another method available to them?

Making significant portions of the singleplayer on disk DLC and each copy will come with a code. Don't know if Sony would allow that.

But right now everyone seems to back pedal on DRM.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
...say butt-hurt corporation warrior sources with something to prove.

The desperate attempts to claw away at Sony's decisive strike with "but third parties could do whatever!!!" is pathetic. Yes. Capcom ladened Bionic Commando 2 and others with always on DRM on PS3. Anything is possible, just Sony isn't providing the tech and system to do so at the PS4's operational level. For Xbone, DRM checks and no used games is the norm and you opt out, for PS4 its the reverse.

Drachma

Banned
Edge basically saying Sony are lying to our faces?

Tall claim... hope they have more than what's in this piece to back it up.

Eusis

I wonder about that. On one hand, when you think about it they were basically just repeating/clarifying what was already said months ago. On the other hand there is what famousmortimer said... I'm guessing whatever they were SERIOUSLY planning needed to work offline, but they were iffy on using it whereas Microsoft just plowed at full speed.

I also imagine if we DO see DRM it's going to be taking a form more akin to Destiny: we start seeing games that fundamentally just don't work without being always online. It seems clear it's a terrible idea to use in Japan and we're several years premature in most of the first world countries anyway, but maybe someone brazen will try to push their limits.

I can imagine publishers could implement some sort of online check for whatever crazy reason but could they really tie them to a specific PSN account? That would be crazy and the only way to prevent used game sales.

Moussuki

Banned
Didn't Sony mention that DRM will be left to pubs, If EA decided to have online-requirement for something like ME, Sony can't tell them no.
The whole thing is stupid. Any 'single player' game can have an MMOish or cloud computing element, Sony is not going to mandate that all game that could be offline only be offline only. But the sityation is still very different with MS, especially the used games part.
Oh, and hy the way, to survive the industry must make less expensive and less crappy me2 games...

entremet

The big issues Sony avoided--online checks and reselling. Meaning, unlike MS, it doesn't seem like Sony will void your disc and make it just a piece of plastic once ''registered'' on your device or prevent private reselling.

I don't think Sony would have laid their heads on the chopping block if they were intending to backtrack that far. They could have easily just remained noncommittal.

Top Bottom