• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles.

Example of just how effective PR can be.

You don't think a company like Sony would lie to you?

Jesus fuck.

Saying something in a one on one interview is one thing, lying to the world live at E3 where every media outlet heard what you said is quite another. Sony backed away from this, it wouldn't just be worse then what MS is dealing with, it would end the Playstation division.

Durante

That's what that particular publisher would want people to believe at least.

I feel like, after the response at E3, no publisher will want to publicly seem like they are pushing for DRM.

It's beautiful that Sony made a huge deal out of it.

3rd party devs wont do jack shit. They love the Xbone since the blame on the measures used goes straight to MS whereas they try to do the same shit on PS4, they get put in the spotlight and every media outlet will blow them up for it.
Exactly.

Xpliskin

Why does everyone keep trying to defend MS ?

First they wanted to fuck us in the ass, then Sony saves us, and now they're trying to give bad rep to Sony ?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This suggests that the platform holder’s decision to let publishers decide for themselves whether to implement DRM on Xbox One

Edge should go back and read the document MS put out. Pubs don't have an opt out on DRM on Xbox One at all. They merely have the option to not blocked trading/gifting entirely, or to enable it through MS's systems, both options underpinned by Microsoft's DRM.

If they didn't pick up that right...

Jburton

Banned
Sony kind of backed themselves into a corner. If things aren't as they promised it's going to be armageddon

What are you talking about?

Sony software will not have any restrictions any more than their PS3 titles would, apart from that it is up to third party devs and publishers to decide what they want to do.

MS have dictated it as a core system policy.

This means when it comes to Xbox One games you need to pressure MS to do away with restrictive policies, when it comes to PS4 you will need to target the individual publishers if they decide to implement DRM / anti used games policies.

Only an idiot would believe Sony can dictate to publishers, only customers can hang the publishers minds, by voting with their wallets against restrictive policies in regards to their software.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well they can't really do anything more than what has happened on the PS3. Online passes are publisher DRM.

Consumers have been pretty vocal about this issue. Publishers can try, but it's only going to backfire in their face. Nobody has the balls to follow through with anything more invasive than locking out multiplayer or something if you're not online.

Mako_Drug

No shit it was a pr play, but they were pretty specific about what we could expect as far as drm is concerned so if they backtrack then they lose me as a customer.

It's not being implemented on a system wide level and won't be the case for first-party titles. If EA or whatever wants to try it, we simply don't buy their games.

Grinchy

Banned
Didn't Sony mention that DRM will be left to pubs, If EA decided to have online-requirement for something like ME, Sony can't tell them no.

Yep, that's what they have said. If the publisher wants to create the DRM themselves, they are allowed to do so on PS4. But Sony isn't putting it in place themselves and making every game adhere to it.

EA and Ubisoft will very likely do whatever DRM approach they want to do on PS4.

If true, tt would in some ways invalidate a part of what Jack Tretton said, but the important things are:

1. No one has to do it. Just as with PC, you can boycott individual publishers who mess around with this crap.
2. No mandatory 24h check ins.

PS4 > XBONE

The big publishers are always doing their best to make me unwilling to pay for their games on all platforms, so I don't expect to buy that many of their games anyway.

le.phat

the big thing is, sony doesn't mandate it, nor reinforce it on their own titles, and most importantly, Sony allows offline play. So even if publishers can set up DRM on both consoles, Ps4 owners will have a choice.

"Same as PS3"

The difference is publishers may adopt a different attitude come this next-generation and implement DRM policies. This isn't about Sony. This is about EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc. And so far they haven't been receptive to the idea of pursuing this.

Corsick

Sony would get completely eviscerated if they made all these announcements at the biggest gaming event of the year, then did a complete 180. It would just eradicate all goodwill. I think this article is either a bit misleading or it's crazy talk right now. It would make Sony look worse than MS if they ended up having very similar DRM. Maybe I read it wrong, but it doesn't seem to make much sense. Also this: "in one instance, it was suggested that these measures were essential for the console business to survive" was sad to read. If they truly think that, they really have no sense of humility and responsibility. They're essentially placing all blame at the foot of the consumers, it's beyond insulting.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
What if MS decides to moneyhat publishers into implementing similar or worse DRM restrictions on PS4?

That's one way to make the Xbone look good.

R1CHO

It's obvious that third parties will make similar decisions across both consoles.

But the difference between the standard platform based policies between PS4 and Xbone are too big to call it just a PR Play.

Omiee

Publishers can go fuck themselves. This is my game and i can do with it what i like. So if i want to sell it to somebody on ebay thats my fucking right to do so.

The nerve on these publishers to think they can protect their revenue.

Movies can be sold, cd's can be sold and consoles can be sold.

What ever publisher decides to implement drm ways has lost my money

ShadyJ

Shuhei confirmed on the latest beyond podcast that it would be in the form of online passes or other exceptions like an MMO or SERVICE based games.

Single player games will not be locked behind DRM

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Sony has backtracked before but has usually been ignored or forgiven, this time however, the world watched and the word has spread like wildfire. If the PS4 does incorporate some sort of DRM, well, just means that it would be very subtle. Single player games can be played offline, no need for internet confirmation for each title, whatever does arise, it won't sound as punishing as MS offering.

DBT85

Jesus fuck.

No of course any company can lie for fuck sake. I'm not a moron.

But if Sony bare face lied in that e3 conference the backlash would be WORSE than it would have been if they had just said "yeah, same as XBONE, dealwithit.jif"

Loakum

Banned
Sony won't use DRM in their first party titles, and I'm seriously doubting that 3rd party developers are gonna risk using DRM. They see the reaction to it is very massive. I doubt they wanna risk loses in revenues.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
LOL EDGE btw.

what does this mean? Edge is one of the best gaming publications.

Seriously. You thought the backlash against the Xbone conference was bad? Sonys wording at e3 was fairly unambiguous.

this will be 'mission accomplished' levels of terrible.

also, in GT Pach attack, Pachter said while 3rd party publishers could theoretically make their own restriction like adding online pass that lock the single player content as well, he think no publishers will have the gut to do it, except maybe Activision.

Striek

Edge should go back and read the document MS put out. Pubs don't have an opt out on DRM on Xbox One at all. They merely have the option to not blocked trading/gifting entirely, or to enable it through MS's systems, both options underpinned by Microsoft's DRM.

If they didn't pick up that right...
I think EVERY journalist has gotten the Xbox One policy wrong about this. Its worse than most assume. Publishers have to actually opt in for the very basic concessions MS made.

Sounds plausible. Right now it is important to get the enthusiast gamer - us. So they said whatever we want to hear. At least physical first party games won´t have any drm... for now.

Sorc3r3r

Edge basically saying Sony are lying to our faces?

Tall claim... hope they have more than what's in this piece to back it up.

Yeah.
Edge was right in past but Sony backpedaling after interviews,official statements, viral youtube videos.
Everything can happen, but i really really doubt it.

Withnail

So people think that despite Sony's comments on Monday, behind the scenes they are actually planning and building a network infrastructure designed to enable their preferred retail partners to transfer licences and pay royalties, as Microsoft is doing?

Nope.

squidyj

Jesus fuck.

really? you think they're just going to out and out lie at their own conference at e3 up on stage in front of thousands of journos and hundreds of thousands of viewers? do you have any idea how fucking stupid that thought is?

Sony first party games available on a disc won't have DRM.
Will be interesting to see how many first party games are only available digitally

triple A titles? i'm going to go with an absolute fucking goose egg. Judging by the fact that they actually want to sell copies on the platform that they've positioned as being able to play offline.
This conspiracy theory shit is getting ridiculous.

liquidtmd

Banned

Jesus fuck.

They can lie - but there's loosely defined lies ('unprecedented partnership') and pretty fucked if they go back on quite explicit wording - this.

I'm not saying they won't but Sony's conference backed them into a corner somewhat. If it was purely PR then there was definitely less damning ways of doing that

Arksy

also, in GT Pach attack, Pachter said while 3rd party publishers could theoretically make their own restriction like adding online pass that lock the single player content as well, he think no publishers will have the gut to do it, except maybe Activision.

Activision's Kotick has come out and said they like the used game ecosystem.

EA's Moore has come out today and said that he likes the idea of gamers having equity in their discs.

I mean...if publishers are going to do this? What publishers? Ubisoft has also backtracked a fair bit on their PC DRM strategy....

Jburton

Banned
Christ some people are dense, there is no way Sony back track on this.

The only ones that can implement DRM are third party publishers, just like last gen ............ Sony is not making it a system wide policy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I honestly wonder if third-party devs realize the only thing they'll be able to do is online passes, just like PS3.

madmackem

3rd party devs wont do jack shit. They love the Xbone since the blame on the measures used goes straight to MS whereas they try to do the same shit on PS4, they get put in the spotlight and every media outlet will blow them up for it.

Thats pretty much it, its as is now however if the pub wants to have this shitty drm they are going to have the light shone on them rather than hide behind ms.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
A pretty transparent and frankly laughable attempt to defang Sony's anti-DRM PR win, would love to know who exactly the "sources" are for this.

MS: "We can't make our scheme look better, lets make Sony's look the same as ours"

Slair

How would this not be suicide by Sony, seems like an insane decision if it were true? I imagine it'd be like when people were suing due to removing the ability to install Linux, but so much fucking bigger.

I honestly wonder if third-party devs realize the only thing they'll be able to do is online passes, just like PS3.

They could require you to log in online before playing the game...
Just because Sony doesn't support that natively, doesn't mean developers can't add it into their games.

Top Bottom