• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles.

hal9001

Banned
What!? This thread is still up? Cant believe its grown this big. People Sony have stated that the system will work the same way as the ps3 where third party publishers free to implement it (e.g like online passes).

Close the subject already.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Pie and Beans - is there anything controversial about that? Edit: maybe I didn't read the entire Edge article, as I'm at work and only skimmed... but what would be the lie here? Sony's titles will be extremely consumer-friendly, and they're on side with gamers in that regard.

Perhaps wading in with FUD before even reading the sodding thing is something you shouldn't engage in.

Sony confirmed if you want to play offline single player games, there aint anything locking you out of that shit. Online passes are even frowned upon.

Thankfully discs still exist, and with no online requirement, they gotta play something. True its up to publishers what extra wrinkles they want to add to the NON DRM CONSOLE, but article and topic title are completely at odds with reality. On a ground up level, the consoles are different in this respect and not "just a PR play".

Lets remember something here.. Sony isn't known for being very truthful in their claims during E3s... (PS3 Killzone ring a bell)
Sony has learned a lot since the PS3 unveil. The PS4 is proof paid to that. Stop this shitty thought process.

Viruz

a quick simple solution to this is not support the publishers implementing DRM, as long as Sony themselves is not implementing it at the system level then it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Yes, it'll be up to me. Buy or don't. I'm cool with this.

Publishers are free to make their DRM as they want it. Is that such a controversial claim? They did the same thing this generation, but many of them will be employing less consumer-friendly DRM this upcoming round to protect their IPs further. If they want to make their game operate with network-play-only, they are free to. Hell, they can do that now. But is there something controversial about more publishers considering such tactics? It's employed on the OS level of MS' console, certainly, by Microsoft. Here the onus would be on pubs.

It's controversial because it goes directly against what Sony has said. They've said that the only part of the game that publishers can touch is the online part. They aren't allowed to touch the offline game. They've said that if you understand how it worked on the PSone, PS2, PS3 etc., then you understand how it works on the PS4. Nothing has changed.

Mxrz

This is just getting pathetic now, and whatever respect I had for Edge has bottomed out.

How much fucking clearer can they get when they say it'll work just like the PS3? That online checks are not built into the system? Good grief. The fact that Sony cares about the Home market in Japan, the global market in developing nations and all that just gets completely ignored. "SAME AS MICROSOFT GUYS. REALLY!!!" Fuck off, bloggers.

Don't insult me. Use yours. All Edge is saying here is that at the end of the day when you purchase a typical third party game that it will be the same or similar on either console. It's not really as sensationalistic as many claim.

So I see you're still not using your brain. Any DRM "solution" that publisher comes up with on ps4 can also be used on ps3, 360, and wiiu. This piece is sensationalist garbage. It is FUD. The type of DRM MS is employing is physically incompatible with how the ps4 or any other console operates.

Read that last sentence again.

amar212

Loudninja

Yet nobody will take this into account and debate about things that do not exist will continue.

This deserves its own thread because it uses official source with extremely strong notion about something that is very important for the perception and outlook of one of the platforms.
I think they are still allowed but he said devs most likely wont use them.

Edit:wow thought ti was the same thing but that's different.

Kane1345

Yet nobody will take this into account and debate about things that do not exist will continue.

This deserves its own thread because it uses official source with extremely strong notion about something that is very important for the perception and outlook of one of the platforms.

Mind, making one, I'm a lowly junior :/

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So I see you're still not using your brain. Any DRM "solution" that publisher comes up with on ps4 can also be used on ps3, 360, and wiiu. This piece is sensationalist garbage. It is FUD. The type of DRM MS is employing is physically incompatible with how the ps4 or any other console operates.
The way I read it is that Edge is claiming that publishers will employ the same policies across both consoles.

With Xbox One they don't have to do anything, they just have to submit to Microsoft how their title should be handled.

With PlayStation 4 they have to implement their online authentication themselves, make everything be behind an online-pass and make the online-pass cost the full price of the game, made a deal with GameStop to give players a new online-pass for the used copy if you trade it in. Then you have effectively disallowed used game sales for private owners like on Xbox One.

JohnJJ

Neo Member
I have the feeling (as others have suggested) publishers will add their own 'check in with the cloud' DRM, similar to MS but at the game level. i.e. Madden will require you to login in to the EA servers to play, loose connection for a period of time and you can no longer play.

So you want more claims and more articles? ....and no we don't have actual facts, just what Sony is currently saying.

The-Truth-Is-Out-There.jpg

how is this argument still happening
things remain as they are
no online check in restricted console period.
want to be online play online you could possibly need a code. to do things you'd be online for anyways.

The way I read it is that Edge is claiming that publishers will employ the same policies across both consoles.

With Xbox One they don't have to do anything, they just have to submit to Microsoft how their title should be handled.

With PlayStation 4 they have to implement their online authentication themselves.

That hypothesis runs counterpoint to every word that has come out of Sony on the subject.

So you want more claims and more articles? ....and no we don't have actual facts, just what Sony is currently saying.

Unless Sony is actively lying, what they say is the closest we can get to facts.

With PlayStation 4 they have to implement their online authentication themselves, make everything be behind an online-pass and make the online-pass cost the full price of the game, made a deal with GameStop to give players a new online-pass for the used copy if you trade it in. Then you have effectively disallowed used game sales for private owners like on Xbox One.

"Required login" =/= used games DRM

Yes, there will be MMO's on ps4.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They wrote something just as nonsensical, that's my point.

DRM outside of online passes is physically incompatible with how the ps4 works as described by Sony.

If you forget about key coded DLC unlocked parts of modes of games, or forced online SP.

I'm betting we'll still be talking about this potentially happening 3 years from now when the biggest games still don't have any crazy offline drm.

Flatline

Banned
how is this argument still happening
things remain as they are
no online check in restricted console period.
want to be online play online you could possibly need a code. to do things you'd be online for anyways.

Simple: Wishful thinking from certain people. Sony couldn't be more clear about this, Edge is fucking pathetic.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
So before the consoles were revealed Edge's rumors were never to be questioned, but now that they say something negative they are clearly wrong?

benny_a

"Required login" =/= used games DRM
In the part you quoted me it says

"With PlayStation 4 they have to implement their online authentication themselves, make everything be behind an online-pass and make the online-pass cost the full price of the game, made a deal with GameStop to give players a new online-pass for the used copy if you trade it in. Then you have effectively disallowed used game sales for private owners like on Xbox One."

It would be the same thing.

There's a difference between a PR play and saying the absolute opposite of what you're actually doing.
Yeah. It's completely insane if true. If they were planning of doing the exact same thing as Microsoft anyway, then the path they are currently on is completely the wrong way to go about this. They could have used the negative press of Microsoft and said "we have the same, because we must, but at least our hardware is more powerful and we're cheaper." not portraying themselves as the consumer-friends.

It will bite them in the arse so much harder than if they'd been up front from the start.

SummitAve

Banned
Ok I am done now.

What you actually said, and what you meant were entirely different in the post I quoted. Things can still change, and until they start rolling out boxes I don't see how anything is complete fact or final. Even then, things are likely to change or become more clear.

Loto

Yes, which is why they call it a PR play.

But there is no play. Yeah I guess Sony could be lying, but they were crystal clear in the conference that PS4 disc games will be playable offline, no check-in, connection necessary. He didn't say only Sony first party games. He was very clear in meaning all ps4 disc based games.

So it's going to be exactly like ps3. Which from my knowledge only MMO'S and a few digital only games from Capcom require an Internet connection. And with MMO's, that's not DRM.

kitch9

Banned
So before the consoles were revealed Edge's rumors were never to be questioned, but now that they say something negative they are clearly wrong?

How much clearer could sony spell it out apart from tattooing it on their sphincter and sitting on your face?

It's up to Pubs, same as always.

KageMaru

Maybe they are talking about digital items since it sounds like those will be locked down with DRM? We can only go by what Sony is telling us so far and leave it at that. I'd be really surprised if they went back on those policies after the reaction they received.

harSon

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised. Despite popular belief, there's no such thing as an ethical multi billion dollar corporation. They're in the business of making money, and the ONLY reason Sony is coming off the way it is, is the fact that they consider this pathway the one best primed for carving out a lucrative venture. There's a reason companies shift from being humble and in line with consumer demand, to cocky and seemingly out of touch with consumers, depending on their success within the industry. It happens with every company, and its simply the nature of the business.

In the part you quoted me it says

"With PlayStation 4 they have to implement their online authentication themselves, make everything be behind an online-pass and make the online-pass cost the full price of the game, made a deal with GameStop to give players a new online-pass for the used copy if you trade it in. Then you have effectively disallowed used game sales for private owners like on Xbox One."

Nintendo saying that Wii U supports used games is a PR play
Microsoft saying 360 supports used games is a PR play
Sony saying PS3 supports used games is a PR play

Argue against any of those statements. Go.

Polymath

Neo Member
Or we just say "FUCK YOU" to developers using any sort of DRM for their games and don't buy it. Eventually developers will realize we don't want this DRM crap no matter what.

That is if we can somehow convince all 12 year olds from buying games like call of duty.
Stops dreaming and realizes that this will never happen......

Korezo

I guess this is what xbone people will keep bringing up until system is released and has a few years in the market. "Watch it get implemented in 2014,2015,2016,2017, 2018, on ps5!!!" Shut up with this already Sony said how it works already, it'll never be similar to xbone.

Loto

Maybe they are talking about digital items since it sounds like those will be locked down with DRM? We can only go by what Sony is telling us so far and leave it at that. I'd be really surprised if they went back on those policies after the reaction they received.

Yes, I agree. I'm preparing for digital games to require a constant connection.

But for disc based games, edge is wrong.

IIRC, anytime anyone doubted Edge rumors, people claimed they would never put their rep on the line by putting out something false and had a clean track record of rumors.
Of course, but there was still a good amount that also said they probably don't have good MS sources compared to Sony, that they got info from Superdae, that they just misheard 'always online' and had no idea what they were talking about. It wasn't unanimous acceptance at all.

benny_a

Nintendo saying that Wii U supports used games is a PR play
Microsoft saying 360 supports used games is a PR play
Sony saying PS3 supports used games is a PR play

Argue against any of those statements. Go.
It is the same. What publishers decide on is different is what's being claimed.

Gamasutra just published that Online Passes will be disallowed on PS4.
That means my plan to call it an online-pass can not work.

Now every game needs to be a service-based game not a traditional singleplayer/multiplayer game.

It is the same. What publishers decide on is different is what's being claimed.

Gamasutra just published that Online Passes will be disallowed on PS4.
That means my plan to call it an online-pass can not work.

Now every game needs to be a service-based game not a traditional singleplayer/multiplayer game.

So you agree with all of those statements? All three of those consoles are just like the Xbone? Ok then.

Consoles have allowed pubs to use online passes and ps4 is maintaining the status quo.

Unless Sony is actively lying, what they say is the closest we can get to facts.
This. I don't get the issue here.

Sony would be nuts to be outright lying. If they were planning to do this, they'd take the Microsoft route by making ambiguous statements, tip toe around questions, or say more details will be released in the future. They haven't done that. They've been pretty damn clear.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I already said that this will happem because sony tends to adapt to the industry.
Have a look at the ps3:they stripped a lot of functions during this generation....

Not because of any trend though, but because those features were letting people hack the shit out of PS3 and using hacked pirated games on it. How is that Sony "adapting" to the industry changing?

Top Bottom