• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree No Summon Hardcore Git Gud Club

TheDuskwalker

Gold Member
Replaying with the Bloodfiend's Arm for shits and giggles. This broken ass weapon sure is something.
Well here is the results of that vs. final boss.

I doubt it will survive next patch, and it shouldn't. For my next real playthrough now that meme run is done, I'm thinking of trying Ancient Meteoric Orc Greatsword. That or Dragon Hunters Great Katana to try a new weapon type.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Light Great Sword has become my favourite weapon class in the game so I'm gonna go through the DLC again with INT build so I can use Rellana's Twin Blades.

Bu one down side is just like Sword of Night and Flame, you need both faith and IN for it.

Antwix

Alright, final boss down. No bullshit cheesyness or anything stupid like that. Just my guardian swordspear and a dream. Unbelievably frustrating to learn at first but wasn't too awful (except for a couple moves) when you kinda learn what's happening. As most bosses in this dlc are though, his aggressiveness is cranked up to 11.

Light Great Sword has become my favourite weapon class in the game so I'm gonna go through the DLC again with INT build so I can use Rellana's Twin Blades.

Bu one down side is just like Sword of Night and Flame, you need both faith and IN for it.
Faith's got a bunch of nice buffs and stuff though. But anyway, thinking about doing an INT build too. I've done a mixture of playthroughs with dex, fth, & str but never did anything with INT. Experimented with the Star-Lined Sword for a bit during the DLC and was pretty sweet. So yeah, I need to check out some other INT stuff.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Faith's got a bunch of nice buffs and stuff though. But anyway, thinking about doing an INT build too. I've done a mixture of playthroughs with dex, fth, & str but never did anything with INT. Experimented with the Star-Lined Sword for a bit during the DLC and was pretty sweet. So yeah, I need to check out some other INT stuff.
I have NT/STR build thats at level 229. Maybe I can Respec and put some strength point to faith.

I_D

It is done. No summons for the entire game, except for the very last bit which involves fighting three enemies at the same time.
Untitled.png

I found the base game's final bosses to be more difficult, overall.
To be fair, I wish I hadn't used the blessings. They definitely made the game easier than I was hoping for.
Still, though, this was an excellent DLC.

Time to do it again with meme-builds!

Last edited:
Here's my Messmer solo kill. No fancy pants magic or cheese, just my Red Sonja with a great katana and a stagger + shield wondrous physick. I'm on no sleep once again so I played a little sloppy but I managed to fuck him up pretty badly in phase 2. He only did his snake nonsense once, but thankfully it was a single attack. The attack where it's like 5 snake strikes and then two explosions was the bane of my runs lol

TheDuskwalker

Gold Member
Oh yeah, since I posted the cheesy broken meme build from playthrough 2, Here was what I used from playthrough 1, fighting my favorite boss Midra.

Still like how literally the first thing I did in the DLC was find a boss that gave me a strength somber greatsword. Felt good man.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I recently finished the last boss and completed the story. I think I’ve done all the remembrance bosses and all the dragons and quite a number of the minor bosses. I completed every fight solo though I did summon my spirit ash during some unsuccessful fights. In the end though I completed each fight by myself. I used a great shield that you get from the second last fight and Mohg’s spear to essentially poke and bleed the last boss to death behind the protection of my shield. It’s a bit of cheese perhaps but it got the job done. That boss makes it pretty limited as to what you can do if you’re just an average player imo.

I think this should probably be the limit for how aggressive bosses in the Dark Souls/EldenRing formula should be unless they are going to increase character movement and flask taking speed in future games to compensate for increased aggression and boss speed. Also camera movement is atrocious and desperately needs improving for the next game. Visual clutter on some fights should’ve been decreased as well.

I beat Sekiro this year and its combat is significantly better balanced and refined compared to Elden Ring which makes its gameplay and difficulty more rewarding. Elden Ring is all over the place with its balancing depending on your build and whether you summon or not. Balancing and fine tuning an action adventure game like Sekiro is clearly a lot easier than an RPG of this size.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Just beat the final boss and what hot fucking garbage. That first phase was no problem but that second phase is ridiculous. The biggest problem is that I can't see a damn thing because of all the beams and orbs of light flooding the damn screen. Half the time, I couldn't tell what the damn boss was doing because the lights were literally blinding me.

I finally got him not through skill but through sheer brute force. Can't read his attacks for shit in the second phase because I quite literally don't even see them.

BlueAlpaca

Finished the Leda fight, absolutley the worst part of the DLC. I'm not sure but I think it took me two goddamn hours. This fight was meant for summons, there were two npc ones but I didn't use them or ash summons. A nightmare. Loaded up on stamina talisman, buffed sword and went all in to kill them as fast as possible. Two I can handle but once it's three I'm done.

I don't know what's Miyazaki's design philosophy really. He talks about not wanting the whole world to play the game and making it difficult but with ash summons the game is a joke, I've seen a video where the mimic takes out half the health of the final boss (base game). And of course there's magic and ranged attacks. Mesmer's weapon has a powerful throw attack that can be done forever - only stamina needed, no FP. This fight would have been a joke with it.

So what is it, Miyazaki? What's the design philosoph? Make a game ultra hardcore for melee players, where it's the most fun, and if they don't like it they can play it extra easy and just watch summons do the work while occasionally throwing a bolt or a spear or whatever. This is just sloppy incoherent design.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
All completed. No summons. All bosses.

I did have to change my build to go arcane heavy to make use of that new club to do 220 blood on final boss. Even with that it took me hours to finally beat him.

10/10. Miyazaki's opus magnum.

Messemer and Frenzied Flame are the best bosses. Abyssal woods is the best area. 12/10 atmosphere.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Finished the Leda fight, absolutley the worst part of the DLC. I'm not sure but I think it took me two goddamn hours. This fight was meant for summons, there were two npc ones but I didn't use them or ash summons. A nightmare. Loaded up on stamina talisman, buffed sword and went all in to kill them as fast as possible. Two I can handle but once it's three I'm done.

I don't know what's Miyazaki's design philosophy really. He talks about not wanting the whole world to play the game and making it difficult but with ash summons the game is a joke, I've seen a video where the mimic takes out half the health of the final boss (base game). And of course there's magic and ranged attacks. Mesmer's weapon has a powerful throw attack that can be done forever - only stamina needed, no FP. This fight would have been a joke with it.

So what is it, Miyazaki? What's the design philosoph? Make a game ultra hardcore for melee players, where it's the most fun, and if they don't like it they can play it extra easy and just watch summons do the work while occasionally throwing a bolt or a spear or whatever. This is just sloppy incoherent design.
Elden Ring in a nutshell .. just hope he is moving on to other projects.. leave this mess for team B to carry on.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Marika's Hammer is so good in this fight. The L2 button is a giant AoE, and picks you up off the ground so you just smash. Certain human characters in the game when hit by this also bounce up and fall onto the ground having to stand back up.

Made this fight very easy.

BlueAlpaca

Well I'm out. Used a a mimic tear for the first time in DLC to kill the final boss. Also used a rune arc for the first time - rykard one that gives you extra HP. I was just done. After 4 hours I wanted to never play any souls game again. Another four hours another day, a few more days even, wasn't out of the question. I was just sick of the game and wanted to move on.

Sick of panic dodging endless attacks, healilng and getting hit again and again, sick of trying to learn every attack doge timing by the millisecond. Sick of the whole souls genre, of the clumsy menu system, of slow action and getting stunted and taking forever to get up - like the guy has a hangover. Of endless weaons and modifcations and no clear information on quality comparison, so many locked behind other attributes. Of so many cool outfits that I can't try beacuase everything lowers my defense. So much bullshit in these games.

And you know what's funny? I died simultaneously with the boss. The game kicked me in the teeth as its final act. Couldn't even get a clean win with a mimic and rune arc. Now it's been saved and there's no going back.

215 hours total elden ring and I leave bitter and resentful. :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

Antwix

Well I'm out. Used a a mimic tear for the first time in DLC to kill the final boss. Also used a rune arc for the first time - rykard one that gives you extra HP. I was just done. After 4 hours I wanted to never play any souls game again. Another four hours another day, a few more days even, wasn't out of the question. I was just sick of the game and wanted to move on.

Sick of panic dodging endless attacks, healilng and getting hit again and again, sick of trying to learn every attack doge timing by the millisecond. Sick of the whole souls genre, of the clumsy menu system, of slow action and getting stunted and taking forever to get up - like the guy has a hangover. Of endless weaons and modifcations and no clear information on quality comparison, so many locked behind other attributes. Of so many cool outfits that I can't try beacuase everything lowers my defense. So much bullshit in these games.

And you know what's funny? I died simultaneously with the boss. The game kicked me in the teeth as its final act. Couldn't even get a clean win with a mimic and rune arc. Now it's been saved and there's no going back.

215 hours total elden ring and I leave bitter and resentful. :messenger_pensive:
You never had to kill yourself doing it and if it got frustrating then who cares. Just supposed to be a fun challenge. You'll always have more chances with ng+ or different characters if you want. The final boss was the only time you used it.... No doubt you'll get it next time.

Lux R7

i made another char to experience the dlc again, i have to say i also enjoy the "preparation time" in the base game before entering, it creates some kind of anticipation that i actually like

Top Bottom