• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree No Summon Hardcore Git Gud Club

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Hardly matters when they go on endless combos with a fifth of a second recovery phase. You can get one hit in, and then you have to back away and disengage while they’re once again spamming 6-7 hits combos.

Not to mention that the bosses are now so fast that they can chain different moves, causing the animations to blend into one another and making learning their moves almost useless. All you gotta do now is roll spam at the right time.
The Office Thank You GIF

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m about to give up on the dlc lol. I cannot overcome messemer.

Tried various weapons, mixed pot, approaches, etc.

It always feel like I have the timing down where I can get him half health, then second half it’s like idk wtf to do and it feels random if I dodge or not certain attacks.

Antwix

I’m about to give up on the dlc lol. I cannot overcome messemer.

Tried various weapons, mixed pot, approaches, etc.

It always feel like I have the timing down where I can get him half health, then second half it’s like idk wtf to do and it feels random if I dodge or not certain attacks.
Just popped up on my youtube feed

But I beat him by going full fucking send with Impaling Thrust ash of war (with my keen guardian swordspear) and trying to poise break him as much as I could along with the cracked physick tear for stance damage

BlueAlpaca

After several hours, finally beat Messmer (no summons). I neary quit the game a couple hours in, I was just done with FromSoft. Later got him down to one hit - his health was down to the first letter B in his name, even less I think. I squeeled and yelled and god it took all my energy to contain the rage. Killed the bastard a few tries later.

I don't think I could have done it without Bloodhound Fang, everytime I check out a new weapon it's not as good. Anyway, a win is a win. Also needed the stonebarb tear, made a huge difference in the first phase.

And of course FromSoft's bad game design still manages to screw with me by disappearing an NPC. I noticed somebody there and decided to get Messmer's weapon first then come back for the story and what do you know the npc is gone. Sigh.

Antwix

After several hours, finally beat Messmer (no summons). I neary quit the game a couple hours in, I was just done with FromSoft. Later got him down to one hit - his health was down to the first letter B in his name, even less I think. I squeeled and yelled and god it took all my energy to contain the rage. Killed the bastard a few tries later.

I don't think I could have done it without Bloodhound Fang, everytime I check out a new weapon it's not as good. Anyway, a win is a win. Also needed the stonebarb tear, made a huge difference in the first phase.

And of course FromSoft's bad game design still manages to screw with me by disappearing an NPC. I noticed somebody there and decided to get Messmer's weapon first then come back for the story and what do you know the npc is gone. Sigh.
I think that quest is fucked up for me too. I did talk to him but I think I missed something prior. I actually think you needed to summon him as an NPC for the fight. Obviously that's not what we're doing here though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also as a sidenote FROM continues to prove art direction >>> graphics. That view when you exit the cave where you first enter the DLC area is one of the most visually striking moments this gen IMO
Some of the locals feels like I'm looking at painting concept art come to life, its gorgeous!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This DLC is incredibly annoying. Every random mook is insanely strong. I'm at the last dungeon and ran across some armored enemy with a huge sword who summoned a lightning storm. He could also jump in the air and shoot highly damaging lightning bolts at me. Up close, he imbued his sword with lightning which gave him insane range and damage. On top of that, he doesn't get stunned at all by charged attacks from a two-handed colossal weapon. He just poises right through them. I killed him and rested, thinking it was a mini-boss like the one in front of Messmer's boss room, but this motherfucker respawned. It's a regular mob with probably 7-8K HP, the ability to two-shot even a 60 Vigor player with the second-best armor set in the game, and a bunch of talisman buffs.

Like why? Crazy complex moveset, elemental damage, high poise, extremely high physical damage, and high health, but this is a normal enemy? Come on man.

Remember how Dark Knights in Souls games are mostly non-respawning mini-bosses? This asshole puts them to shame but respawns.

Last edited:

Arsic

Just popped up on my youtube feed

But I beat him by going full fucking send with Impaling Thrust ash of war (with my keen guardian swordspear) and trying to poise break him as much as I could along with the cracked physick tear for stance damage

Best him by going blood katana before I saw this.

Thank god or else I would’ve not been able to stay in the solo squad.

7.5 hours to beat him. Still think Mallenia was harder and she took me longer.

Arsic

Welp this final boss for the dlc is beyond fucked.

Messemer is NOT the Malenia 2.0 boss in this dlc.

This is some straight bull shit. The only weapon I do damage to this boss with is the +10 Marika hammer I leveled as memes. The special move hits him for fair damage but the wind up is long so you’re trading damage to do some.

Never mind the completely bull shit move set they gave this boss. I predict it will be nerfed. This doesn’t seem like many builds stand a chance.

Raven117

Gold Member
I’m glad some of y’all are taking the brunt of figuring this out. I’ll git gud, and use strategies and builds y’all come with to help focus my playthrough.

I salute you!

Raven117

Gold Member
I’m glad some of y’all are taking the brunt of figuring this out. I’ll git gud, and use strategies and builds y’all come with to help focus my playthrough.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Welp, I've tapped out boys. Tried that lion bastard about ten times solo, but don't have the time or inclination to keep at it, or with any of the other bosses

Beat him third time of asking with mimic tear :pie_eyeroll:

Madflavor

Gold Member
Got to the final boss. Haven’t used a single summon the whole playthrough because I was made in America. Only fought it once because there looks to be a good amount of optional areas I haven’t completed yet, so I’m going to comb the whole DLC before I start attempting to beat the game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Look, I’m old. I don’t know how much time I have left. Don’t want to be on my death bed like “…shouldn’t… have… tried…. Dancing… lion… 200… times…”

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
Let’s flip this around. Funkmiller’s alternate funeral after defeating the boss: “He may not have won a Nobel peace prize in life but he dunked on that lion like a Gigachad!” Everyone salutes. 🫡

Last edited:

Neff

Used my first ever summon, in any FromSoftware title, for the Rellana fight, no regrets.

Life's too short and I'm too old to be memorising boss movesets at 3am.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
About to go balls deep. I go into work late tomorrow, going to sleep late today.
Let me at those fuckin' movesets and difficulties. :messenger_bicep: :messenger_sunglasses:

Edit: For anyone about to dive in, I recommend removing EAC. I did it for the base game and it net me a gigantic boon in the form of more stable and higher FPS and less stutter.

Last edited:

iHaunter

This thread is for the gigachads who will beat Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree without NPC summons, PC summons, or ash summons during boss fights. It’s just you and the 40+ bosses. Post your experiences here. Remember, pain is merely weakness leaving the body.

Use spoiler tags as appropriate.

zlGEgfI.jpeg
I'm doing a fresh ER run with no summons of any kind. No ashes, no players, nothing. Going from the start all the way to the DLC.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
This DLC is incredibly annoying. Every random mook is insanely strong. I'm at the last dungeon and ran across some armored enemy with a huge sword who summoned a lightning storm. He could also jump in the air and shoot highly damaging lightning bolts at me. Up close, he imbued his sword with lightning which gave him insane range and damage. On top of that, he doesn't get stunned at all by charged attacks from a two-handed colossal weapon. He just poises right through them. I killed him and rested, thinking it was a mini-boss like the one in front of Messmer's boss room, but this motherfucker respawned. It's a regular mob with probably 7-8K HP, the ability to two-shot even a 60 Vigor player with the second-best armor set in the game, and a bunch of talisman buffs.

Like why? Crazy complex moveset, elemental damage, high poise, extremely high physical damage, and high health, but this is a normal enemy? Come on man.

Remember how Dark Knights in Souls games are mostly non-respawning mini-bosses? This asshole puts them to shame but respawns.
I have a feeling Miyazaki said "fuck it" and didnt work at all at this expansion from what I've heard until now ... it seems a overcorrection for the easiness of the main game (when using all the gimmicks.

Really hope next From game is a more tight and balanced experience ... hope this open world gimmick fest bullshit is out of their systems

This is some straight bull shit. The only weapon I do damage to this boss with is the +10 Marika hammer I leveled as memes. The special move hits him for fair damage but the wind up is long so you’re trading damage to do some.

Never mind the completely bull shit move set they gave this boss. I predict it will be nerfed. This doesn’t seem like many builds stand a chance.
Bleed helps a lot but the 2nd stage move set is still total bullshit.

GHG

How many scadutrees have you guys got?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
How many scadutrees have you guys got?
At the time I was at 10. Got 13 now after defeating Hog Rider who honestly didn’t give me much trouble. I was dreading him because I was hearing he was one of the tougher bosses, but I kicked his ass after only a few tries.

Last edited:

Antwix

I think I'm at level 12 blessing. Doing everything I can find before venturing thru the main progression route. Just going to be starting the ruins in the northwest.

9 upgrades, with 2 extra. Need 1 more to hit 10.

Got 6 of the ash things idk what they do.
The revered ash helps spirit summons. So not really any help to us haha. I did see it helps Torrent's survivability too though.

simpatico

Did you want the last dungeon of the last DLC of Elden Ring to be…. easier?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finally started this. Me and my longsword+25 are going to fuck up the shadowlands and nobody can't stop us. :lollipop_tongue:

First mini-boss, that lonely knight with a flame auto-crossbow, took a few tries, but it was fun to be back and it felt super nice once I managed to beat him.

Last edited:

Arsic

I think I'm at level 12 blessing. Doing everything I can find before venturing thru the main progression route. Just going to be starting the ruins in the northwest.

The revered ash helps spirit summons. So not really any help to us haha. I did see it helps Torrent's survivability too though.
Well at the current state of the final boss idk that even having a summon would help due to his moveset lol.

I’ll wait to see reports of what others say who have more of those items and how they fair.

I don’t see them helping and I can’t discuss it without major spoilers lol.

Antwix

Well at the current state of the final boss idk that even having a summon would help due to his moveset lol.

I’ll wait to see reports of what others say who have more of those items and how they fair.

I don’t see them helping and I can’t discuss it without major spoilers lol.
I tried to avoid spoilers as best as I could but I went on youtube just to check out some new weapons/ashes of war and their movesets last night and after the video where youtube shows recommendations, there was a thumbnail of the final boss... that sucked. My fault though haha :(

Should be getting to final boss later today though. We'll see how crazy it is. But by the comments here, I may need to find more scdutree blessings!

Bartski

Gold Member
Hats off. I'm considering doing another DLC run and attempting it without spirit ashes and NPCs, which is part of their questlines so had to be done. The final boss made me rage and I had to resort to the cheapest strat imaginable (finger shield...) but while phase 1 is something you can just learn the moveset with enough time, I have no idea how this could work in pase 2

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm at blessing level 8.
Somehow doesn't change that much tbh durng boss fights. You pick every single scadutree fragment in very obvious places by exploring, except 3 or 4 are in glimmering shadow men jars and maybe two more that are a bit hidden. I did look those final few up, no regrets. But at max level 20 the final boss still kills a tank build in 3 hits

M1987

Gold Member
Finally started this. Me and my longsword+25 are going to fuck up the shadowlands and nobody can't stop us. :lollipop_tongue:

First minio-boss, that lonely knight with a flame auto-crossbow, took a few tries, but it was fun to be back and it felt super nice once I managed to beat him.
You won't be saying that on the next boss 😂

winjer

Welp, I've tapped out boys. Tried that lion bastard about ten times solo, but don't have the time or inclination to keep at it, or with any of the other bosses

Beat him third time of asking with mimic tear :pie_eyeroll:

I beat him today. Solo.
First try almost beat him, just a smidgen of his health left. My immediate thought was that I was going to get him on the second try. But I was so wrong.
The next 15 tries, I get my ass kicked.
Then I change tactics, a bit more focus on my ashes of war and better timing and finally beat him while only using 2 health flasks. No summons.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Imagine dropping spoilers like that. You are an idiot.
There is not a single spoiler there. Plus:

So far:

Divine beast
Rallan or whatever her/his name was
One red bear boss
Death knight
Some asshole in a bear suit

I think those are my bosses I’ve beat. Struggled the most with death knight. Small gaps, heals, and has an over half health heal command grab move. Fuck that boss.
Lol.

Last edited:

Arsic

When did I ever imply that? I just think it's insane that grunts have a moveset worthy of a late Dark Souls III boss.
I didn’t run into a single jobber enemy that I couldn’t beat in the dlc. They seem tuned fine and become easier the more you level with the suckadick tree items.

The only two things imo worthy of complaint:
-final boss is some bull shit
-the camera work in some fights is the real fight…

Top Bottom