• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Caayn

Would be hilarious if it's just a PS4 slim with 4K output for media.
Personally I think that's the most likely case actually.
Jaguar is the CPU core not the graphics. You need around four times the power to push 4k vs 1080P so it would need 4 times the shaders at the same clock rate or less if they clock them higher. This is massively simplification of course as it doesn't take into account the increased memory usage.
That not only, performance requirements doesn't scale in a linear fashion and it would need a lot more ROPS than it currently has.

danowat

Banned
I'm very uncomfortable with the possibility of a current gen machine becoming (pretty much) obsolete so quickly.

The impact this has on existing hardware and how that will impact games on current hardware needs to be known.

It's literally just a PS4 that outputs games in 4K.

Seems like Sony is intent on just confusing the market.
They should just go whole hog on releasing a PS5 soon instead of fracturing the market with a middling PS4K console.

I don't intend on buying or supporting such an ideology one bit.

Kysen

it is simply impossible to cram the equivalent of today's top-end PC graphics hardware into a console-sized, mass-market box.

This is the part many gaffers in the other thread were overlooking. 4K requires insane hardware and was never going to be realistic in a .5 console update. Instead this box is more of a 1080p 60fps machine.

Skux

I don't think anyone is expecting true 4K gaming... you'd need a pretty beastly machine for 4K even at 30fps.

panty

I don't care for 4K so this is excellent news for a 1080p-display owner like myself. Can't wait for 60fps@1080p.

It's literally just a PS4 that outputs games in 4K.

Seems like Sony is intent on just confusing the market.
They should just go whole hog on releasing a PS5 soon instead of fracturing the market with a middling PS4K console.

I don't intend on buying or supporting such an ideology one bit.

There at least 4 more years to this generation. Ain't no way are they killing it that quick. It will not confuse the market as it'll do the same as current console.

I just got a Sony 65x850c 4k tv, I will definitely be upgrading to the new PS4 model that can play 4k blu rays. I take it will support HDR for playback as well.

Fliesen

My guess (if real): smaller APU, HDMI 2.0 and 4K enabled for video content. Won't change a thing for games.

i second that.

Maybe it'll run cooler on games that are more demanding otherwise.
And maybe it'll do a super-clean, lag-free upscale to a 4k signal, which some 4K TVs don't manage to do.

I'd buy one day 1

El-Suave

This thing will probably eliminate the need for the splitter box for PS VR. Less cable clutter on the floor would be an argument for it.

If this thing is just for 4k then it's totally fine for anyone who plays on a real big screen.

If this thing has more power in general sense - it's gonna tear community apart. I doubt Sony wants that now, after they have definitive control over console market .

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
To me the crucial aspect is that games are still not only playable but also optimized for my basic pd4

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Eurogamer said:
we have independently established that it's real and that Sony's R&D labs have prototype devices, and we also have more than one source referring to it as PlayStation 4K,
While this may well result in a product some day - "prototype" devices and a name aren't really a confirmation of anything.

Years before PS3 was announced, PS2 Prototype devices with a built-in HDD and XMB system menu existed(a normal console, not the PSX) - and yes they had a name too.
Roughly 18months after PSP launch - a working PSP prototype with built in 4GB HDD was also made, and that was just one of many to follow.

Because many games can't even run solidly at 1080p/30fps

Thats developer problem not Sony. PS4 is powerful enough to run games at 1080p/30fps which can be proved from sony first party games and many 3rd party games which runs well if they optimized it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I just assumed this would render games at 1080p but upscale to 4K. I don't really know, but wouldn't this be more feasible?

danowat

Banned
Thats developer problem not Sony. PS4 is powerful enough to run games at 1080p/30fps which can be proved from sony first party games and many 3rd party games which runs well if they optimized it.

So lazy devs (yeah, I know, it's a meme, but I am using it just to make a point) can now use the increased GPU power of the PS4K to ensure a game runs at 60fps, while PS4 peasants have to make do with 30fps.

There at least 4 more years to this generation. Ain't no way are they killing it that quick. It will not confuse the market as it'll do the same as current console.

You sure about that not confusing the market?
Isn't this PS4K meant to go and make all PS4 games run at 1080p/60fps?

The masses could be a bit angry that they now game on the default "shitty" machine and be confused as to whether all new PS4K games can even work on their system.

Also PS4K exclusive features in all Sony first party games I bet.
Ugh, will be nice knowing I'll be forever playing the gimped version of games on a console (pls no comparison to PC, I'm talking strictly on PS4 platform)

Kikorin

Glad I've still not bought a PS4, maybe in near future I'll can buy a PS4K + Uncharted 4 at 60fps bundle.

Anyway I'm pretty sure 4K will be just for some light games, no way they can sell an hardware that can do, for example, Uncharted 4 or The Order graphics like games at 4K and 30fps, unless they want charge like 1200€ for the console.

AmFreak

The 4K probably just comes from it being able to output games in 4K.
While this would be theoretically possible on the PS4, there is no way to do it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's a very strong possibility that a 2017 revised PlayStation could feature a relatively big jump in GPU performance, but conversely, the CPU component could remain much the same.

I think that's likely. Spend the transistors on GPU, keep the CPU side more or less the same between the two boxes.

I think they're being slightly pessimistic about fitting 2x PS4 into a console in 2017. I can see Sony allowing themselves a larger die than the original PS4 (and a larger price - e.g. 499), and even still on 28nm, AMD was squeezing more power out of the same die sizes with newer GCN revisions. At 16nm or 14nm with a 300-400mm^2 die and the same CPU/other silicon as currently in PS4, 2x PS4 GPU should be comfortably possible, no?

I'd rather hope HBM would be possible too - that could give a 3-4x boost to GPU bandwidth. DF is even more pessimistic about that, but isn't AMD planning HBM APUs for next year? I can't imagine it is that expensive if they're targeting it for lower end desktop parts next year.

So it's basically just a PS4 with 4K output?

Kind of expected that

They don't know - they've heard nothing concrete. They've offered a number of possibilities based on their own speculation but it's just speculation.

Doesn't sound like PS4.5
More like PS4 model CUH-1400K. Which just a PS4 revision.

I think a lot of people's expectations are bumped by these "insiders" saying otherwise.

I think the safest conclusion is that it's going to be a PS4 revision with HDMI 2.0 for 4K at 60fps, and possibly some hardware changes for PSVR support, but games will essentially be similar. You can expect 4k blu-ray support and Netflix support, and possibly 4K USB media support. For games, it'll really depend on the developer whether they want to utilize the ability to make games 4K. However, don't expect any crazy difference.

No_Style

I imagine it would be Option 2. Option 1 is too radical and 3 is too timid to cause this kerfuffle.

Alos, if you haven't read the article and the options, I recommend it.

RSP

I don't see why upscaling games to 4K is going to benefit anyone. Being able to play 4K blu-rays and streaming media makes a lot more sense. Too bad really, I was hoping this would eventually be part of an update to the original hardware.

Litri

I'm not really sure what Sony wants to do, this move is a bit odd to me. 4K TVs adoption is still very slow...

entremet

I just hope they announced it soon so I could make plans to sell my PS4 while they're still worth decent prices in the used market.

Reading it properly, this confirms EXACTLY what I was telling people in the last thread. This is nowhere near as big an upgrade as people for and against the thing seemed to believe.

You won't be playing the likes of Battlefield, Witcher, CoD etc. in 4K. It'll be smaller budget/indie games at best and even those will be few and far between. This thing is specifically for 4K media consumption. Not 4K gaming.

Y'all played yourselves.

le.phat

I'm there. Don't update the form factor too much Sony, just add 2 USB slots to the back of the thing so i don't have to look at ugly protruding dongles and shit and keep it at that.

Zojirushi

I mean the most important question still is whether we'll have two different PS4s on which PS4 games will perform differently.

jony_m

I'm not convinced this will see a release anytime soon but everyone should want this, along with the Xbox counterpart.... It can only push innovation forward.

Moreover, you won't be forced to upgrade.. you will be able to get the same games albeit at a similar performance levels we get now.

Example game X:

PS4.5: 1080/60 at Ultra settings w/output up to 4K with fancy new upscaler with some fancy effects
PS4: 1080/30 at Med settings like today with some effects scaled down

pager99

I think a lot of people's expectations are bumped by these "insiders" saying otherwise.

I think the safest conclusion is that it's going to be a PS4 revision with HDMI 2.0 for 4K at 60fps, and possibly some hardware changes for PSVR support, but games will essentially be similar. You can expect 4k blu-ray support and Netflix support, and possibly 4K USB media support. For games, it'll really depend on the developer whether they want to utilize the ability to make games 4K. However, don't expect any crazy difference.
I think.your right no way is it gonna do 4k games

Top Bottom