• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Kezen

Banned
I pray to all the Gods in this universe that this is a really, really powerful update (4tflops Polaris GCN 4.0 at least) so Nvidia/AMD are under more pressure to release more powerful GPUs.

This will also raise the bar for graphics even higher. Devs will have a fix 4tflops target to aim for and this is only going to make my life as a PC gamer more riveting.

No idea how they will handle the fragmentation of the console space though, with 4 different consoles (two Xbox One including one beefed up model and two PS4s with different specs).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I like how you guys ignore the sentence with the more GPU power and pretend its just a 4k bluray update.

Nobody is ignoring it, just commenting on the follow-up statement that it won't be enough for 4K gaming.

Neoxon

Now I'm a bit concerned for the NX Console, since this would likely undercut any hype that Nintendo may generate for their platform launch.

As for the supposed PS4K, I'll probably get it eventually if existing games (such as Street Fighter V, my most-played PS4 game right now) get a visual upgrade when played on the PS4K.

c0de

Didn't he guess that Sony would be making a new console to output 4K media? Damn you jeff.

Well, nobody can tell, honestly. But what I parsed was that PS4 is "upgradable" to new HDCP and that the dGPU is able to decode HEVC.

Shit.

Idk how to feel about this. While I don't want to buy another console to play the same games, I imagine games like The Division running at 60fps.... '-'

bennibop

Pretty sure it will just be a PS4 that allows the playback of Ultra HD blu ray disks in the hope that will push sales of the format as we have seen with PS2 (DVD) and PS3 (Blu Ray) in the past and not a change in game capabilities..

Zaph

It won't.

If the PS4K does include extra GPU horsepower, the easiest way (as in less QA) for devs to implement two performance profiles is to just let the better one pump out more frames. Sure, some might go to the effort of increasing the overall IQ while aiming for similar frame times, but not everyone.

Raist

Banned
Forget about "some people" and online chatter. We have specific report form Klepek, Totilo and Press Sneak Fuck, and there are no reports that say that what they said is not true. DF only confirmed the existence of the machine, they did not have new info about its new HW.

And where do these guys all work?

Geoff doesn't like this. Seems like we are going to need to buy a whole new console for a marginal improvement. Unless there is a way to upgrade the current console which I doubt.

The selling point is having a 4K media player. If that's not important to you then upgrading would not be worthwhile. Sony wants control of your living room as much as MS does. You've got PSVue, PSVR, PS4 gaming, and now a 4K UHD player all available in one box. You won't need the Roku, Apple TV, standalone player, etc. They have a device that can even meet the needs of nongamers.

Mindwipe

Well, nobody can tell, honestly. But what I parsed was that PS4 is "upgradable" to new HDCP and that the dGPU is able to decode HEVC.

That's a long way from the various hardware specs required to support UHD Blu-ray (especially security wise).

Notably said specs were not finished until over a year after the PS4 launched.

Edit: Hey, at least this probably means a first party media remote.

Javin98

Banned
I pray to all the Gods in this universe that this is a really, really powerful update (4tflops Polaris GCN 4.0 at least) so Nvidia/AMD are under more pressure to release more powerful GPUs.

This will also raise the bar for graphics even higher. Devs will have a fix 4tflops target to aim for and this is only going to make my life as a PC gamer more riveting.

No idea how they will handle the fragmentation of the console space though, with 4 different consoles (two Xbox One including one beefed up model and two PS4s with different specs).
Dude, is this in your wildest dreams or something? :p

Anyway, on a more serious note, this is next to impossible. Hypothetically speaking, even if the upgraded console has a GPU twice as powerful, devs would still have to cater to the lower common denominator, which is the OG PS4. There is no way Sony will abandon support for the OG PS4. So I suggest you be patient, enjoy the visual upgrades the PC versions bring and wait for next gen.

Auctopus

as grim as it sounds, I'm here with you :(
I don't buy a console only for it to become absolete in a couple of years; this is not PC market

Exactly this.

Besides Exclusives, (most of which this gen I can live without) the reason I play console instead of PC is ease of use/pick up and play etc. and that I only have to worry abotu upgrades every 5-6 years.

If that goes then there's no real reason for me to buy consoles anymore, I'll just get a PC.

Boogdud

Sounds to me like they're making a version not necessarily for 4k (since it is rumored to be underpowered for that), but one that has slightly more power to run PSVR games better.

I doubt we are going to see any performance improvements in an iterative console like this, I think it will just support what Eurogamer mentioned (support for 4K, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and HDR and a new 4K BluRay player) with enhanced multimedia capabilities being the focus (bundled with the BluRay Remote etc.).

As for games, they will be exactly the same as PS4 games currently. The only exception might be an update to the SDK to allow UI elements to be rendered at 4K on top of the regular framebuffer at 1080p so the UI/HUD doesn't look blurry. They may also throw in some new hardware solution to do the best possible upscale.

DryvBy

It's more than likely just going to be option 3 with the HDMI port letting you watch Ultra HD Blu-Rays and maybe upconvert to 4K for your games.

driver116

I don't buy a console only for it to become absolete in a couple of years; this is not PC market

It will just be the same as the PS3 slim - except more powerful too. The PS3 FAT didn't stop getting support when the slim and super slim arrived.

I swear if this is an upgrade for gaming (not only video) I'll sell my PS4 asap and I won't buy a console ever again.

I have trouble seeing things from this POV. But I grew up a Nintendo fan, and system upgrades were always extremely exciting and instant buys. It has always been something I looked forward to and couldn't be happier that major players are finally following suit.

People are quick to compare these changes to the PC market, but I think that's flawed. What is happening here is different than before, but let's be real: console players have always upgraded their systems to Slims/Elites/Lites, and that was before there were even any major upgrades. I am sure even MORE console owners will buy the PS4K knowing that it's more than just a cosmetic and efficiency upgrade.

I hope that you guys end up happy once these systems launch. I think you guys might come around once it's a reality.

My guess:

4K media playback
5ghz wifi
Solid State or Hybrid drive

If this is something they are targeting for this year or 2017, I don't see them realistically getting that VR breakout box in there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, there was no way in hell they were getting 4K gaming out if a console anytime soon.

At best they can render modestly above 1080p at some resolution that can scale to 4K a bit less poorly, but just having 4K multimedia support would also make sense.

SerTapTap

Why would they even bother to add more gpu performance when it sounds like 4k media is the only feature?

And god damn people, they're not going to complicate psvr by integrating a cheapo $25 breakout box into the console and selling a psvr sku without it. The headset is all the cost of psvr and it can't be "integrated".

Everything we've heard positions PlayStation 4K as a machine capable of playing current and next-generation ultra HD media, while also offering support for other aspects of the 4K spec, such as high-dynamic range and a wider colour gamut

Eurogamer speculating on possible options:

• Option #1: A new, more powerful PlayStation - A new Polaris APU
  • Option #2: PlayStation 4 evolved - Using same generation, higher spec components (older games may run better)
  • Option #3: PlayStation Plus - A model analogous to a PS4 Slim with 4K support for gaming, but gaming resolution remains at 1080p

More in the article concerning the possible options for PS4K

Source: Eurogamer

Thanks to Nibel!

I think it could be option 3 + all the neccesary aspects to make the console fully compatible with the UHD Bluray standard.

If Sony release this new PS4 it wouldn't surprise me if it's aimed more as a 4k media player, because with the launch of UHD blu-ray, Sony have said they are in no rush to release a dedicated UHD blu-ray player at the moment, so wondering if they will go for UHD blu-ray playback through the PS4 instead.

Said it before, I'll say it again - I don't like this one bit. Makes me extremely reluctant to purchase a console at launch ever again if there's bound to be a superior iteration of it released in two/three years time.

Bgamer90

Banned
It will just be the same as the PS3 slim - except more powerful too. The PS3 FAT didn't stop getting support when the slim and super slim arrived.

Exactly but hey -- there's something out there that's better so I automatically got "screwed"!

I could understand some of these replies if the PS4.5 would instantly end support of the PS4 but there are absolutely no signs of that at all.

Not sure why people buy tech early if they don't like the possibility of what they have being outdated by a newer/updated model. It's silly in my opinion.

No one actually thought that they'd be able to play current gen games at 4K right?

Well the silly rumour from Kotaku suggested that was the case and then that random supposed insider on Gaf intimated that was the case too. All while I suggested it would be impossible to achieve looking at current tech.

Exactly this.

Besides Exclusives, (most of which this gen I can live without) the reason I play console instead of PC is ease of use/pick up and play etc. and that I only have to worry abotu upgrades every 5-6 years.

If that goes then there's no real reason for me to buy consoles anymore, I'll just get a PC.

Well I think that is where a lot of people are starting to figure out. PC gaming has hit easy levels of setting up and playing. Not quite console levels but a far stretch from where it was 20 years ago. Why not keep a constant platform that you can control. You can have multiple people playing a pc with multiple controllers. Most 3rd party console games come out at the same time on pc. You can choose what level you prefer to set it up quality wise. Also there is more software available at cheaper prices. Not to mention that the xbox brand is now on pc pretty much too...

Top Bottom