• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Avtomat

What if it enabled simpler games to run at the native 4k resolution? Would current PS4 owners be up in arms think games like resogun or other arcade games that probably don't push the PS4 very hard

Yeah, no way to do 4K currently in a SoC configuration with today's visuals and won't be for a long time. I think the best they could hope for is something around a GTX 960 in terms of performance. That's just a guess based on performance, not any actual IC design knowledge. I feel like anything bigger than a 960 would be too power hungry and therefore put out too much heat.

foxbeldin

I'm not very fond of mid-gen upgrades.

But if Sony can bring a PS4 that handles 4k at 60fps for most games (including uc4) and 4k blurays, integrates the PSVR box, and puts usb ports on the back. Then i'd need to wake up and take my coffee because it's not happening.

Yeah this feels like a media focused upgrade for 4k media and movie content.

I wouldn't expect any performance increase for games. Maybe just a better scaler for 4k tvs. If anything it would be a small new 3ds type performance bump, but I don't even expect that much difference.

What if it enabled simpler games to run at the native 4k resolution? Would current PS4 owners be up in arms think games like resogun or other arcade games that probably don't push the PS4 very hard

You underestimate the performance demands of 4k. My gtx 970 which draws a ton more power and heat than a ps4 ever could struggles to hit 30 fps on Xbox 360 ports from last gen. I tried playing bionic commando in 4k down sampled and the framerate was close to 30, but below consistently.

Excellent article by DF, as usual.

Of course the more plausible options are #2 and #3. Last week I would have said #2, current games run more smoothly on PS4K. But it could as well be #3, and nobody is left behind.

IvanJ

Banned
What had changed for games upon release of X360 Slim/E-model?
Or with PS3 Slim and Super Slim models?

You can expect similar changes now.

Danneee

I think a PS4 with 4k video sounds more realistic than anything else. But who knows, maybe this gen is the start of something new.

Edit: maybe built in PS VR processor?

DieH@rd

Banned
Since Kotaku mentioned better GPU for helping PSVR, I presume this will not be just a shring of PS4 APU with added HDMI2.0 support. I am expecting Polaris GPU.

How about they get 1080p gaming right first.
They did. They put the best hardware in it that could be bought for ~$390 [manufacturing cost of PS4 at launch].

ref

It's possible there might be some more GPU power available, but I wouldn't get your hopes up of it being a massive upgrade, especially 4k gaming at the fidelity of todays games.

I mean, that is possible, but not at a mainstream console price.

tzare

3rd option seems the most plausible. Hardware revision and if some extra features can be added that do not really split the user base or make previous owners angry, way to go.
It is obvious though, that Sony has to explore all the options so a more powerful PS4 sure has been considered at some point.

Chao

Best case scenario (for me)would be a Ps4 revision with 4k output... for movies on Uhd blu ray only.

I wouldn't feel as betrayed. But now that I think of it, best case would be Sony giving a meaty discount to current ps4 owners or some kind of exchange program.

And that will never happen lol

I think it would be a massive mistake to call this PS 4K. The casual gamers will not know that 4K for gaming isn't possible in a console format, even in 5 years it's probably not happening.
If you call it 4K, people will expect 4K gaming, it's that simple and even my 980ti and recent i7 processor can't play most games at 4K/60fps. It's still a long way until we get a true 4K capable console gaming device.

And x86 is known for the easy scalability, so if Sony really goes this way, they should announce that from now on they just call the box PlayStation and do an iteration every 2/3 years and let the developers choose what iterations they support.

I think the last paragraph is perfectly spot on:

Fundamentally, what new gameplay experiences can a revised console offer? At what point do you stop supporting the older PlayStation 4? We can perhaps see the case for an 'elite' version of a games machine - a love-letter to the hardest of the hardcore, with enhanced performance and visuals on the same games. But it reeks of niche appeal - and some might say that the PC already does a better job of servicing this need. When and if refreshed console hardware is officially revealed, it's going to need one hell of a killer app

I hope it's just option 3 from the article and all the new PS4 does is allow for 4K media consumption with revised internal parts, that doesn't screw over buyers of the original model.

jony_m

They should definitely avoid calling it anything 4K but I fear they will.. there's 4k TVs to sell.

I like PS4 Ultra (or PS4U for short hehe)

Zaph

Yeah, I get that Kotaku was just reporting the words of their (obviously trustworthy) source, but the whole "4K games" thing obviously meant devs will have the option, but very few, if any, will use it.

This seems like an initiative from Sony HQ similar to the blu-ray one - it's in the best interests of the entire company to push 4K, as they benefit from the platform, televisions and the content sales.

But hey, it this increases the amount of 60fps games available to console gamers, great.

Chastten

Banned
Well, if this means I can buy a cheap early-gen PS4 later this year, I'm all in.

I kind of want one now that it's slowly getting some games I want and I haven't had a dedicated blu-ray player in like forever. If I could buy a basemodel 500GB/1TB PS4 for <&#8364;200 that'd be lovely

wapplew

I think the last paragraph is perfectly spot on:

I hope it's just option 3 from the article and all the new PS4 does is allow for 4K media consumption with revised internal parts, that doesn't screw over buyers of the original model.

Same boat.
Half gen hardware is a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

DieH@rd

Banned
My guess (if real): smaller APU, HDMI 2.0 and 4K enabled for video content. Won't change a thing for games.

Klepek was quite clear on the GPU front:

"Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this &#8216;PS4.5&#8217; will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR"

"Besides resolution, developers would have an opportunity to push more effects and other graphical tweaks to make their games look better, thanks to the new GPU."

"A more powerful PS4 would also allow the machine to be more competitive with PCs in the world of virtual reality. With a higher-end GPU, the PS4 could more easily match up against the more expensive Oculus Rift and HTC Vive virtual reality headsets, which are designed to work with powerful PCs."

AwRy108

Never doubted the first rumor. Curious about it. Maybe it's just a 4K output for Movies and stuff and not for gaming? (Option 3 in the article)

Kinda what think. Maybe it also has the PSVR add-on box built right in?

...or maybe they'll position it as the only sku of the PS4 that can support folders--then everyone on GAF will buy it, LOL.

THE:MILKMAN

Looking at the massive 5 year gap going from 28nm to 14/16nm is the major cause of headaches here.

PS4/Xbone were never able to be cutting edge at launch and actually launched over 2 years after 28nm was available which was already a longer time than any previous nodes life. I think whatever shape these refreshes take, it will be mainly to address the slowed fabrication process.

We think PS3/X360 were ancient at the end of their lives, but imagine how bad PS4/Xbone would look if left as they are in late 2018/19 with Zen/Polaris/Pascal etc coming this year alone.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
VR box built in with 4K video output available. No improvement on games. It really is the only thing that makes sense.

Raist

Banned
Klepek was quite clear on the GPU front:

"Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR"

"Besides resolution, developers would have an opportunity to push more effects and other graphical tweaks to make their games look better, thanks to the new GPU."

"A more powerful PS4 would also allow the machine to be more competitive with PCs in the world of virtual reality. With a higher-end GPU, the PS4 could more easily match up against the more expensive Oculus Rift and HTC Vive virtual reality headsets, which are designed to work with powerful PCs."

I know some people are saying this. I just don't buy it.

Slixshot

Banned
Hoping it's option 3. I don't want to feel like I have underpowered hardware. That's one of the reasons why I focus on consoles instead of PCs. I don't want know that someone out there has a better version of the thing I have.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well, if this means I can buy a cheap early-gen PS4 later this year, I'm all in.

This is a good way to see it. PS4.5 will more than likely have better specs. PS4 will still be supported and have a cheaper price. PS4.5 will just be a better, more expensive option. This move will attract some casuals and some core gamers to both models based on their respective features and/or price instead of just having everything be replaced by a new slim model.

wapplew

Looking at the massive 5 year gap going from 28nm to 14/16nm is the major cause of headaches here.

PS4/Xbone were never able to be cutting edge at launch and actually launched over 2 years after 28nm was available which was already a longer time than any previous nodes life. I think whatever shape these refreshes take, it will be mainly to address the slowed fabrication process.

We think PS3/X360 were ancient at the end of their lives, but imagine how bad PS4/Xbone would look if left as they are in late 2018/19 with Zen/Polaris/Pascal etc coming this year alone.

Nothing different.
No dev will fully utilize those new shinny hardware, all they get is higher resolution and frame rate.

DedValve

Banned
But what about Rigbys thread about current PS4 doing 4k
and also something to do with a defense mechanism against illuminati agents
?

Mifec

Hoping it's option 3. I don't want to feel like I have underpowered hardware. That's one of the reasons why I focus on consoles instead of PCs. I don't want know that someone out there has a better version of the thing I have.

Everyone who goes for a mid tier PC has a better version of what you have.

cormack12

Gold Member
This will really help Microsoft. They can now potentially shoehorn an upgrade in there with their alternative to the PS 4K as well. Which is good.

Got to say I'm not interested in it though if it doesn't improve the games. I might be tempted if it can run the games with a frame rate, resolution and post processing boost but 4K content - nah, and I'm not really interested in VR - only as a concept. Still at least two years away from me even considering it to be honest.

DieH@rd

Banned
I know some people are saying this. I just don't buy it.

Forget about "some people" and online chatter. We have specific report form Klepek, Totilo and Press Sneak Fuck, and there are no reports that say that what they said is not true. DF only confirmed the existence of the machine, they did not have new info about its new HW.

Top Bottom