• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Kotaku said this is about games. Thats a done deal at this point and shouldn't really be up for debate anymore. They have the strongest track record in the entire industry over the past few years.

I'm sure media and the rest will be involved and nice additions, but if Kotaku said its about games, its about games.

Lets see.

Rumours are a plenty atm

These details conform to the other leak that current ps4 owners needn't 'worry' and what i expected. MS plan to fracture their user base is stupid and will fail like every other attempt to run multiple base specs.

Sony = Good guy
Microsoft = Bad guy

lol

Are you confirming that the Xbox One and Xbox One Point Five won't play the same games?

spwolf

I see it like a revision of the current hardware with Hdmi 2.0 and 4k scaler (not new GPU)

This case is best case scenario imo, because:

- It wont fracture the userbase and upset PS4 owners, Current owners won't feel the need to upgrade.

- Current PS4 won't struggle to play the (enhanced games) and WILL play all games till the end of the gen.

- PS4.5 would be enough of an upgrade for some enthusiast who wanted slightly better performance and Res upgrade.

- Sony can go all out on PS5 and make 4k " games " dream a reality.

Edit: Sony has been doing this almost every gen to some degree, They added a screen attachment to PS1, Internet ports to some slimmer PS2 versions, PS3 era they removed some features (BC+ ports) in a slimmer package.

This time change seems to be more radical but not by much really .

fracturing the user base was never really happening... hurting feelings, possibly?

I have no idea why would people who think that PS4+ is horrible also think PS5 should be completely different from PS4. If any PS4+ being true upgrade would mean their PS4 would last another 5 years at least, which is way better than PS5 option where PS4 is dead after it arrives.

Also it is either going to have more power or not. If it is replacing regular PS4, then any power increase will be strictly academical, not true upgrade.

That will suck arse and Microsoft will have a nice way to get back into game with XB1+.

DOWN

Banned
I can't figure out why the upgrade idea bothers me so much when I'm totally into upgrading my phone often

This view is so pathetic. Sony is not you're cool older brother. Eurogamer says its about media which is the most logical. They are also much more specific.

What you mean by track record I have no idea. Sony have always lead consoles as multimedia devices.

No where does Eurogamer say this is about media. No where. They say there will be media benefit but most of the article is about games so I'm not sure what your actually talking about.

And Kotaku lead the industry when they want to break stuff

- The Prey 2 fiasco
- The real story behind Destiny
- The PS4 dev kits
- The Xbox One dev kits
- 3ds and Wii U info
- Versus XIII being canceled and being called FFXV
- Multiple AC games
- Fallout 4 general info and its setting

Just off the top of my head. The most trustworthy source on this info right now is Kotaku. Plain and simple

vcc

Sony = Good guy
Microsoft = Bad guy

lol

Are you confirming that the Xbox One and Xbox One Point Five won't play the same games?

Running multiple base specs for consoles has always failed for a variety of business reasons. It's a stupid idea for sony or microsoft. My opinion on this is not brand dependant.

vcc

Now to be fair to MS.

We don't know IF they plan to have multiple spec SKUs.... I mean they've hinted at it, but there is no smoke to indicate a fire, so to speak

Spencer did walk expecations back on this. Might just be throwing shit PR at the wall of enthusiasts and seeing how it sticks.

'Support for HDR and wide color gamut'

I looked up TVs with those and theyre THOUSANDS of dollars...and i read an article they're not really coming out till 2017. Am I missing something or looking at the wrong tvs?

I'm pretty sure every current 4K tv supports HDR. It's been universally supported late last year. I'm sure you can find models that don't but every new model this year on out should have it.

onQ123

So PS4.5 has gone from beastly PS5-level specs able to handle todays games in 4K - confusing everyone as the tech for this doesn't exist yet - to simply an updated model with 4K media capabilities. Way for Kotaku and co to just stir shit up to unrealistic levels.

No where does it say that it's just for media

3Dprinted

Neo Member
Is it worth doing for just a little extra power? It sounds like the current PS4 is powerful enough to do 4k bluray, and the rest, so the only real upgrade is having the breakout box included? Which is in direct conflict to how they are selling the PSVR currently. Either way it's exciting, and could play out as a game of chicken between Sony and MS. Sony does have a gigantic lead, and can probably afford for MS to come out with a true XboxOne.5, but would they risk it?

I don't know if it would be worth it, but assuming they already have a plan for a PS4 slim (as they did for every iteration since the first Playstation), why not ensure it can properly reproduce/output 4k content and bluray with just a *small* upgrade without sacrificing UI and multitasking? Maybe even HDMI port needs to be upgraded as well, i'm not sure!
Integrated Breakout box seems a no brainer if they can do it: early PSVR adopters would simply have some spare cables and could easily connect the device directly to the PS4 slim...
I think it's at least 15 months away from us anyway and, in a not so distant future, i can totally see a PS4slim+PSVRslim bundle at $/€ 599,00!

Running multiple base specs for consoles has always failed for a variety of business reasons. It's a stupid idea for sony or microsoft. My opinion on this is not brand dependant.

I disagree with this, if the upgrade path is easy and painless and you carry your software library with you then I don't see what they would be fracturing?

This is a new era we are in as far as tech goes and how quickly it advances, both MS and Sony seem keen to tap into this market abd I think both will be successful.

The Devil will be in the detail though, really looking forward to E3 to see what they both have in store, heck, you can fling Nintendo and the NX in their as well

Spencer did walk expecations back on this. Might just be throwing shit PR at the wall of enthusiasts and seeing how it sticks.

Could be.

I mean, I get the UWP thing and the intent MS has with benefiting gamers but I don't think it will be as big a benefit to fragment the user base with multiple spec SKUs

I'll buy even if it's just 4k media. I need an all in one solution for 4k content from Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, uhd discs, etc. They can upgrade the Wi-Fi radio while they are at it.

RE_Player

I love how before this generation started there were serious discussions if consoles were even viable anymore. Journalists were declaring consoles to be dead, publishers didn't want to invest in big AAA games and even some fans of consoles were thinking this may be the last generation.

PS4 and Xbox One come out and PS4 it outpacing the PS2 and Xbox One despite being in 2nd place is still selling good numbers. Now that there is a hungry market for consoles Sony and perhaps Microsoft are willing to throw another wrench in the works and risk poisoning the well of their loyal adopters for what? Slightly better looking games? A slight profit margin increase on hardware? This just seems ill advised and honestly I hope it blows up in their face.

Nocturno999

Fine as long as early adopters dont get screwed.

It would be nice if the upcoming Final Fantasies run significantly better on the new model.

onQ123

Is it worth doing for just a little extra power? It sounds like the current PS4 is powerful enough to do 4k bluray, and the rest, so the only real upgrade is having the breakout box included? Which is in direct conflict to how they are selling the PSVR currently. Either way it's exciting, and could play out as a game of chicken between Sony and MS. Sony does have a gigantic lead, and can probably afford for MS to come out with a true XboxOne.5, but would they risk it?

The breakout box is for sending the signal back to your TV undistorted

BibiMaghoo

I disagree with this, if the upgrade path is easy and painless and you carry your software library with you then I don't see what they would be fracturing?

Devs need to target a spec, and that will likely be the better PS4, which means current PS4 owners get a worse version of a given game on the same platform. There will not be PS4. There will be a PS4 and a better PS4. It fractures customer base, games, performance, media coverage, you name it. It divides a platform into two systems.

Lettuce

To be fair id rather a PS4 update that could do 1080p@60fps rather than 4K, as i have always maintained that motion has a much larger impact that a sharper image

The nice thing about Zhuges post is litteraly he cant be wrong. Everything is maybe this, maybe that. Devs have some power but not all. There can be some improvement but maybe not. It will do better media and maybe better games.

Its all over the place. I'm not saying he really didn't hear these things or he's a bad guy but there is no definitive statements in what he said at all

vcc

This is a new era we are in as far as tech goes and how quickly it advances, both MS and Sony seem keen to tap into this market abd I think both will be successful.

The Devil will be in the detail though, really looking forward to E3 to see what they both have in store, heck, you can fling Nintendo and the NX in their as well

It fails for business reasons. It's an idea almost as old as video games and it's failed dozens of time with man different variations.

The reason it fails is because consumers have a concept of how often they want to upgrade and don't like being rushed and publishers have certain ideas about technology cycles, project timelines, target audience size and also don't like being rushed. Early gen switched frustrates both groups.

The business reasons for a console and console cycles haven't changed.

Look at number 7

g1ZVvKX.png

Sounds like a modest upgrade.

The 4k idea is not utterly crazy if you take the fact that 970/980 GPU released in 2014 can do 4k in quite a few games from the last 2 years at around 30fps with either existing consoles settings or better like Ryse, Shadow of Mordor, COD AW, Metro Last Light and many more. Of course games like AC Unity won't but you can achieve 3200x1800-2880x1620 30fps which is up there. This is on a ~150w on average GPU. Nvidia should be able to get this perf per watt down to 100-110W. I doubt AMD can catch up with Nvidia or will make an APU like this though.

Devs need to target a spec, and that will likely be the better PS4, which means current PS4 owners get a worse version of a given game on the same platform. There will not be PS4. There will be a PS4 and a better PS4. It fractures customer base, games, performance, media coverage, you name it. It divides a platform into two systems.

Would they both play the latest COD multiplayer together? I would say the masses wouldn't care about any of the above as long as Jimmy PS4 and Johnny PS4.5 can play games together as they do right now.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

Explain to me why devs would target a niche device over one that 30 million people own. Please, I want to know.

fracturing the user base was never really happening... hurting feelings, possibly?

I have no idea why would people who think that PS4+ is horrible also think PS5 should be completely different from PS4. If any PS4+ being true upgrade would mean their PS4 would last another 5 years at least, which is way better than PS5 option where PS4 is dead after it arrives.

Also it is either going to have more power or not. If it is replacing regular PS4, then any power increase will be strictly academical, not true upgrade.

That will suck arse and Microsoft will have a nice way to get back into game with XB1+.
nah...over for MS everywhere but U.S and UK. A beefier X1 halfway through the gen would get an insignificant amount of exclusives if any. I think it would be Ps2 Xbox all over again.

Also I kinda want a 2nd ps4 wish we could get clarification so I would know if I should wait or not.

If this is a slim I don't care either way...very cool and I welcome a slim tbh..

RedSwirl

But will it really? I think this is where a lot of people disagree. I'm more inclined to think developers would still primarily target the base PS4 (in the event the "PS4K" offers a noticeable performance boost), and then offer some slight enhancements on the upgraded version. It's really not different from what how they handle PC versions versus console versions. More users own the lowest common denominator console, so they start with that and then add some sprinkles for people with higher-end machines.

It fractured the heart of early adopters, that's for sure.

Life must be unbearable for those people then. Releasing a new phone! A 2016 Camry that's prettier than my 2015! Ahhhh!!!!!

It seems like the majority were okay when they thought Sony would do it, don't see how the sentiment would differ for MS. If it's inclusive and could potentially bring more gamers to the fold, it's win win.

Fredrik

Both upgrades suck but XB1.5 is worse imo if these rumours are true and PS4K is about 4K only, you won't have to upgrade to PS4K if you have a 1080p TV but XB1.5 almost seems like a mandatory upgrade if there is a huge performance increase.

The saving grace for MS though is that they've already released their biggest first party games, Forza has even showed up twice, so while I would still be pissed I wouldn't be quite as sour if I had to buy a new Xbox this early as if I would have to buy a new Playstation where the first party output so far has been a bit too heavy on HD remakes.

It fails for business reasons. It's an idea almost as old as video games and it's failed dozens of time with man different variations.

The reason it fails is because consumers have a concept of how often they want to upgrade and don't like being rushed and publishers have certain ideas about technology cycles, project timelines, target audience size and also don't like being rushed. Early gen switched frustrates both groups.

The business reasons for a console and console cycles haven't changed.

So someone playing on a £500 PC can't play the same games as a £2000 PC? This is the model they both seem to be going for: keep your friends, trophies/achievements, game library, apps etc but just upgrade the hardware every few years.

The consumer now is a different purchaser than when I first started gaming 25+ years ago and I would say the masses are a lot more open and receptive to looking at iterative hardware.

Time will tell of course but I think it's wrong to be dismissive of this going on previous buying habits.

vcc

But will it really? I think this is where a lot of people disagree. I'm more inclined to think developers would still primarily target the base PS4 (in the event the "PS4K" offers a noticeable performance boost), and then offer some slight enhancements on the upgraded version. It's really not different from what how they handle PC versions versus console versions. More users own the lowest common denominator console, so they start with that and then add some sprinkles for people with higher-end machines.

They're just as apt to ignore the improved tech on the bette system all together and then people who bought it get that sour taste in their mouths. (Darksouls on pc).

vcc

So someone playing on a £500 PC can't play the same games as a £2000 PC? This is the model they both seem to be going for: keep your friends, trophies/achievements, game library, apps etc but just upgrade the hardware every few years.

The consumer now is a different purchaser than when I first started gaming 25+ years ago and I would say the masses are a lot more open and receptive to looking at iterative hardware.

Time will tell of course but I think it's wrong to be dismissive of this going on previous buying habits.

As this gen of console sales and the NEW 3ds has taught us. Nothing is different. As well pc is a different beast as the consumer on the hogh end there are more complexity tolerant. Even there there is a lot of lowest common denominator targetting and doing it all right is tough.

Both upgrades suck but XB1.5 is worse imo if these rumours are true and PS4K is about 4K only, you won't have to upgrade to PS4K if you have a 1080p TV but XB1.5 almost seems like a mandatory upgrade if there is a huge performance increase.

The saving grace for MS though is that they've already released their biggest first party games, Forza has even showed up twice, so while I would still be pissed I wouldn't be quite as sour if I had to buy a new Xbox this early as if I would have to buy a new Playstation where the first party output so far has been a bit too heavy on HD remakes.

Do you feel obligated to buy every new car that's faster than yours? Just because you may feel the need to upgrade doesn't mean everyone should. Most people don't notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps as it is. If the games come in the same box and the console is the same name, they won't notice.

omonimo

Banned
I love how before this generation started there were serious discussions if consoles were even viable anymore. Journalists were declaring consoles to be dead, publishers didn't want to invest in big AAA games and even some fans of consoles were thinking this may be the last generation.

PS4 and Xbox One come out and PS4 it outpacing the PS2 and Xbox One despite being in 2nd place is still selling good numbers. Now that there is a hungry market for consoles Sony and perhaps Microsoft are willing to throw another wrench in the works and risk poisoning the well of their loyal adopters for what? Slightly better looking games? A slight profit margin increase on hardware? This just seems ill advised and honestly I hope it blows up in their face.
Care to elaborate your sales data? Because in my opinion the good xbone sales are pushed mostly to the Christmas time in US where sell extremely well; because aside this fraction of time, during the whole fiscal year, xbone sales aren't exactly that good. It's out of my mind how some people hasn't yet noticed this important particular.

Top Bottom