• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Freiya

I think Sony is looking for a way to ruin their progress with the PS4 so far this gen. Arrogant and stupid Sony is coming back where they assume that the masses will buy whatever Playstation device they will sell. I see a lot of positive feedback from GAF with this, but outside of here and the scope of the hardcore gamers, I doubt anyone would drop another $400 just to upgrade their console this early on this generation of consoles.

The selling model that seems so successful in the mobile space would not work here for various reason that have been discussed to death. Consoles are not tablets or smartphones, and they will never be as such.

Also the argument that they want to keep up with technological advances doesn't make sense. They will never be able to take advantage of the new hardware if games are designed around the limitations of previous hardware. Dropping the old PS4 hardware support would probably the stupidest thing to do, and I don't think Sony would ever do that.

Why is it that people keep forgetting that PC's do this already just fine? It's not that hard for devs to make games take advantage of better hardware. Seeing all these silly posts just condemning the idea for no legit/logical reason is just baffling.

It's also funny everyone seems to keep forgetting that there are tons of ps4 games that run like poop now. That won't automatically change because new hardware comes out.

Volotaire

Look at number 7

g1ZVvKX.png

I'll update the OP with a disclaimer.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If it doesn't have a lot more power then I don't see the point. Or am I missing something here?

etta

my hard graphic balls
So at best it will be a resolution difference between the two, not a leap big enough for increased resolution + graphical settings?

Can we finally get 5ghz wifi and a better network adapter that allows full speed of my connection? I'm guessing this would just be a replacement model that would replace the outgoing PS4 model like a revision in the past and not an actual console being sold seperately.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Or is it the term "run" in the final post that is what you're referring to? Since it's not specified precisely how it would be run... a bit difficult to assume it would be native, as it's "running" PS4 games, which are not built for native 4k?
Exactly. He also replied that it's not about upscaling.

Running a PS4 game at 4K is not computationally cheap. It can't be both a cheap revision like going from 1000 to 1100 or 1200 and also be capable of doing 4K games.

In this everything can happen at the same time argument we're talking about this potential device that will be 300 USD or less, because it's going to be replacing the 1200. (Which already was 300 last year.)

Alpende

I'd like to see full comparisons before possibly buying this. I'll probably not get VR on day one so I want to know if this PS4K is something that's useful besides VR.

dracula_x

'Developers won't have access to 100% of this power' is an interesting point - if true, of course.

Like maybe it's a set of fixed enhancement options devs can enable, to let Sony handle scalability between the two SKUs in a very managed/predictable way. Give devs some extra higher level things they can add on. So Sony could make sure nothing was done that used the power in a way that would make a game unplayable or distinctly less appealing on the original PS4.

It's the same thing with original PS4 – developers don't have access to 100% of power.
In addition, If you remember, at the beginning only 6 cores were available to devs and 5GB RAM. And Sony unlocked the PS4’s seventh CPU core only about half year ago.

DavidDesu

On the plus side I want to upgrade my bedroom PS3 to a PS4, so this PS4K could become my living room console and VR console, the old PS4 into the bedroom.

Still, my wallet cries. Well my Paypal Credit account will probably get some extra use once my iPad Mini is paid off! :p

So PS4.5 has gone from beastly PS5-level specs able to handle todays games in 4K - confusing everyone as the tech for this doesn't exist yet - to simply an updated model with 4K media capabilities. Way for Kotaku and co to just stir shit up to unrealistic levels.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
While you're there Sony. Any chance you could design it so it doesn't sound like a hair dryer after a year. Thanks.

Exactly. He also replied that it's not about upscaling.

Running a PS4 game at 4K is not computationally cheap. It can't be both a cheap revision like going from 1000 to 1100 or 1200 and also be capable of doing 4K games.

In this everything can happen at the same time argument we're talking about this potential device that will be 300 USD or less, because it's going to be replacing the 1200. (Which already was 300 last year.)

Got it. Thanks for being patient with me so I could work that out.

Pryce

This is disappointing. While I never expected 60FPS 4K gaming this year on a console, spending $400 on a console that won't even improve performance is horrible.

I'll pass for now.

So PS4.5 has gone from beastly PS5-level specs able to handle todays games in 4K - confusing everyone as the tech for this doesn't exist yet - to simply an updated model with 4K media capabilities. Way for Kotaku and co to just stir shit up to unrealistic levels.

It seems like it's all at the same level of corroboration, so who knows what's really gonna happen. The new Twitter info is probably the most likely, which means there's a whole lot less incentive to upgrade, and leaves the door open for MS to do something big.

DavidDesu

Yeah I think realistic expectations got gazumped by wishful thinking. To me it sounds like a good half cycle upgrade, and if it can perhaps aid VR games and some stability in general, and perhaps come in an even slimmer console design we can't complain. There will be no difference in games. A PS4 game will always play on either PS4 console. Seems like the most sane and sensible thing to do. It might possibly just replace the current model completely upon release, or help lead to a healthy price cut for the current model that can only help propel PS4 to PS2 sales levels and ensure years of great developer support.

LordofPwn

will wait for E3/official statement from Sony before deciding on how i feel. with as much confusion people still have about the PSVR breakout box i'm not convinced people are fully aware of what this PS4K is truly capable of.

I mean this whole time i thought the PS4 was capable of 4K playback and 4K Blu-rays because it would just need a firmware update and that the PS4 is using a custom HDMI output that should be capable of HDMI 2.0. but who really knows anymore.

LordOfChaos

Look at number 7

g1ZVvKX.png

Number 5 and number 7 seem to contrast. Unless the ONLY way devs can reach the extra power is for VR/4K, with the system appearing as a normal PS4 otherwise.

I think I'd like that. Don't have to worry about shitty back ports meant for the higher end hardware.

UV-6

Sounds to me like it's going to coincide with Sony releasing their usual "slim" console. However, this time it won't just be a slimmer version, it'll be a bit more powerful.

I'm down.

Aceofspades

Banned
If it doesn't have a lot more power then I don't see the point. Or am I missing something here?

I see it like a revision of the current hardware with Hdmi 2.0 and 4k scaler (not new GPU)

This case is best case scenario imo, because:

- It wont fracture the userbase and upset PS4 owners, Current owners won't feel the need to upgrade.

- Current PS4 won't struggle to play the (enhanced games) and WILL play all games till the end of the gen.

- PS4.5 would be enough of an upgrade for some enthusiast who wanted slightly better performance and Res upgrade.

- Sony can go all out on PS5 and make 4k " games " dream a reality.

Edit: Sony has been doing this almost every gen to some degree, They added a screen attachment to PS1, Internet ports to some slimmer PS2 versions, PS3 era they removed some features (BC+ ports) in a slimmer package.

This time change seems to be more radical but not by much really .

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
'Developers won't have access to 100% of this power' is an interesting point - if true, of course.

Like maybe it's a set of fixed enhancement options devs can enable, to let Sony handle scalability between the two SKUs in a very managed/predictable way. Give devs some extra higher level things they can add on. So Sony could make sure nothing was done that used the power in a way that would make a game unplayable or distinctly less appealing on the original PS4.
Falls in line with my prediction that visual improvements would likely be restricted to however it's handling 4k output, some shadows, pop in, load times, etc. No 60fps vs 30fps situations.

rokkerkory

okay so is this more akin to when 360 had their very incremental updates to the h/w like adding hdmi port?

It sounds very incremental update to me, which is OK. Nothing to go crazy over in terms of stabbing PS4 owners in the back.

vcc

The Zhuge post doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I'll wait till Kotaku or EG break more info on it. It won't be long now until we have specs

These details conform to the other leak that current ps4 owners needn't 'worry' and what i expected. MS plan to fracture their user base is stupid and will fail like every other attempt to run multiple base specs.

Kotaku said this is about games. Thats a done deal at this point and shouldn't really be up for debate anymore. They have the strongest track record in the entire industry over the past few years.

I'm sure media and the rest will be involved and nice additions, but if Kotaku said its about games, its about games.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Are current systems unable to stream 4K at all or just not read off disc?

Unable to output any 4k content afaik

Kotaku said this is about games. Thats a done deal at this point and shouldn't really be up for debate anymore. They have the strongest track record in the entire industry over the past few years.

I'm sure media and the rest will be involved and nice additions, but if Kotaku said its about games, its about games.

As the eurogamer article points out, even computers with $700 GPUs and $500 CPUs have trouble with 4k gaming at 30 fps.

BibiMaghoo

It won't be what you think it is....
This is just for 4K media playback...

I hope you are right. I really do. I invest a lot of time and money into the systems I game on, and while it is acceptable to have PC games push me out without upgrading, that is because it swings both ways. I can play PC games from 15 years ago on the same system as current games. Console do not do this - or do it at additional expense - and so it is a one way street. If it does play more demanding games ala new 3ds, then I think it's a huge mistake, and not just because of my own preference.

While I share your sentiments about all the negatives of a new much more powerful PS4 (shudders), I wouldn't abandon ship on Sony consoles all together.

Just when the PS5 launches I sure as shit ain't picking it up and will wait for the more powerful PS5.5 to come out before even thinking of upgrading.

I have bought all of Sony's platforms at launch, with the exception of PS1. I have done this because they have proven support for it time and time again. They have not failed me in that regard. I would consider this to have failed me, because they sold me a box on the expectation it would be good for it's span, not upgraded two years in. It would negate the reason I own a console with my PC at all, and I doubt I am alone in that.

Aceofspades

Banned
Sounds like it's going to be a disappointment and not quite the upgrade I'd hoped for.

I won't be disappointed myself since I don't want to be forced to upgrade :)

if I felt the need to upgrade every 2/3 years, I will be investing on PC and ditching consoles for good.
I like the current system where devs can juice out every ounce of power from consoles (Uncharted 4 latest trailer blew my mind really).

LordOfChaos

I see it like a revision of the current hardware with Hdmi 2.0 and 4k scaler (not new GPU)

This case is best case scenario imo, because:

- It wont fracture the userbase and upset PS4 owners, Current owners won't feel the need to upgrade.

- Current PS4 won't struggle to play the (enhanced games) and WILL play all games till the end of the gen.

- PS4.5 would be enough of an upgrade for some enthusiast who wanted slightly better performance and Res upgrade.

- Sony can go all out on PS5 and make 4k " games " dream a reality.

Edit: Sony has been doing this almost every gen to some degree, They added a screen attachment to PS1, Internet ports to some slimmer PS2 versions, PS3 era they removed some features (BC+ ports) in a slimmer package.

This time change seems to be more radical but not by much really .

Agreed. If it's a glorified 4K/VR upscaler I think most current PS4 users wouldn't be unhappy with that,as it would mean devs aren't targetting significantly faster hardware and then giving the regular PS4 shitty back ports.

Kathian

Banned

This view is so pathetic. Sony is not you're cool older brother. Eurogamer says its about media which is the most logical. They are also much more specific.

What you mean by track record I have no idea. Sony have always lead consoles as multimedia devices.

These details conform to the other leak that current ps4 owners needn't 'worry' and what i expected. MS plan to fracture their user base is stupid and will fail like every other attempt to run multiple base specs.

Now to be fair to MS.

We don't know IF they plan to have multiple spec SKUs.... I mean they've hinted at it, but there is no smoke to indicate a fire, so to speak

Freiya

Nothing is fractured if if all runs the same games.

So this won't be any big upgrade at all and basically a slim PS4 with 4k media support and nothing but very minor enhancements to the actual games if anything.

In other words, pointless hype on it being PS4.5.

'Support for HDR and wide color gamut'

I looked up TVs with those and theyre THOUSANDS of dollars...and i read an article they're not really coming out till 2017. Am I missing something or looking at the wrong tvs?

Trup1aya

Now that we have more info this seems to be a very different product from what we have heard publicly and what has been circulating privately about the xbox upgrades. The xbox upgrades will be continuous every few years and they will absolutely give power to devs...they are not mainly about vr/bluray 4k/system. They are mainly about moving games in rather sizable leaps forward. 1080 30 to 1080 60 with more effects and better textures

We will see how they show these...but i think they will be very different

This is exactly how I imagined the Xbox iterations would be... A boost in performance of games that target xb1.0, not a new set of hardware specs to target and fragment the userbase. Same disc work on either box.

Sounds to me like both companies have the exact same idea.

Top Bottom