• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

MilesTeg

Banned

Interesting. Sounds like its happening. Needed for VR to play at 120fps. The standard PS4 playing games at 30fps while upgraded version plays 60 fps is also specifically mentioned.

Also noted that the current PS4 cannot read 4K Blu Ray discs.

Forward compatibility is also mentioned, that instead of purchasing HD remaster you will pay smaller fee for a "patch".

Also worth mentioning, apparently its also possible for PS Vita to get a similar upgrade that PS4 is getting, however due to its standing in the market its not happening.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wonder if they plan on having a longer generation this gen.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So if we'll have a new Xbox One v2 and PS4.5, will this be the chance for MS to match PS4.5 specs or even surpass them? E3 presentation for both?
I was wondering the same thing, the initial impressions/rumours were that an updated Xbone would be quite a significant power upgrade. I would think if PS4K is basically a slightly more powerful slim model that Xbone 1.5 would be way more powerful. Who knows though we're just speculating on speculation at this point lol.

I don't like the sound of this at all, but I think House's current PlayStation team have proven they're pretty friggin' good at reading the market. I trust them to come up with something that makes sense -- if this even makes it to market at all.

jdmonmou

Sony has a good track record this generation and no doubt has some experienced financial advisors. I wouldn't worry about the health of their playstation brand.

Most casuals planning on buying a ps4 probably don't even know this is happening. They were still selling PS3's even with PS4 release dates around the corner.
Sony has had some hardware failures...Vita, Vita TV, PSP Go. The PS4K is likely to fall into the same category as those.

Man

Sony JUST announced the release of PSVR. They are not going to do anything right now that might confuse consumers further.
Give consumers at least a base level benefit of your doubt.

PS4
PS4K
PSVR (perhiperial)

is not more confusing than

iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6S
iPhone 6S Plus
iPhone SE
iPad Pro Mini

robo

A new ps4 with 4k output for media would be OK for me. My current one would keep for travelling around as I do and the new one for when I get home at the weekend.

Plus it would push me into a new 4k TV that I have been holding off getting. So for me it's not an issue.

I had two ps3 last time cos I'm away a lot.

Cloud sharing my saves so I don't loose progress, win win for me.

If I buy a Sony 4k TV a win win for Sony as well.

I can't see the problem others are seeing in this.

Media upgrade for 4k won't mean "oh my goodz" my old ps4 is useless now.

RK128

Interesting. Sounds like its happening. Needed for VR to play at 120fps. The standard PS4 playing games at 30fps while upgraded version plays 60 fps is also specifically mentioned.

Also noted that the current PS4 cannot read 4K Blu Ray discs.

Forward compatibility is also mentioned, that instead of purchasing HD remaster you will pay smaller fee for a "patch".

Also worth mentioning, apparently its also possible for PS Vita to get a similar upgrade that PS4 is getting, however due to its standing in the market its not happening.

So from Sony's mouth, this is really happening? And its going to be a big enough bump that it will impact original PS4 owners........

I guess NX it is this Fall and PS4 sometime in 2018 or something.

otakukidd

So the more I see of this, the more I get the impression that Sony wants to launch DSi equivalents mid-generation going forward as opposed to totally upending their console cycle.

Or in other words, having a 6 year cycle for primary iterations, but an upgraded model halfway through to make the idea of 6 year old technology seem less archaic.

See that I would be fine with. It would just run smoother with a couple new features. Like the psp 2000 or the dsi like you mentioned. The only problem I have is when people try to throw around future compatible, like ps4k will play ps5 games at lower setting but ps4 won't. Fuck that. Each generation needs a clean break(with BC). Developers already cut corners to try to make games cross gen.

DKHF

This actually is my biggest concern actually. They need to say something about this plz? I need to know before i drop $500 on a psvr bundle and than later they announce a ps4 that can run it better
If what Zoetis said is right and this comes out late this year (and he's been right with Sony rumors in the past) you'll probably just have to wait till E3 to find out.

eFKac

That's a solid plan, I hope you remember this in 2025.

Sure, I'm a vindictive fucker, already postponed my plans for buying PSVR until well after launch in case Sony expands their idea to other hardware. (to at least early 2016 to wait for PS4K confirmation and see what it is)

Huge backlog will ease the pain.

PS4
PS4K
PSVR (perhiperial)

iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6S
iPhone 6S Plus
iPhone SE

I don't think it'll be confusing but Jesus do the smartphone comparisons not work for me

ValeYard

The factors of interest regarding this rumoured new model are for me:

1. Is the VR breakout box built in -> that would interest me, less cables, etc.

2. Is there a scaler for games in 4k -> in case I ever do get a new TV, but not in the short term

If it's just a 4k bluray capable ps4, it makes sense for Sony to make it, but I'll wait for a more meaningful update.

So the more I see of this, the more I get the impression that Sony wants to launch DSi equivalents mid-generation going forward as opposed to totally upending their console cycle.

Or in other words, having a 6 year cycle for primary iterations, but an upgraded model halfway through to make the idea of 6 year old technology seem less archaic.

Were the guts of the DS and DSi all that different?
I always thought it was more of a form factor change and screen display improvement.

No significant change to playing games on either model.

Curufinwe

EG/DF make a much better job than Kotaku in conveying what's realistically possible and what's not.

Personally, of the three possible options they outline, I suspect it's going to be option #3.

It's s very good article, but I can't really blame Klepwck for not being the tech expert Leadbetter is.

Arkeband

Banned
This seems like such a weird product to make.

Few people own 4K TV's because most television or even blu-rays are in 1080p. Consoles have only been in 1080p thus far. And 4K is still crazy expensive.

Furthermore, no one really owns 4K monitors because they're incredibly expensive and you need some tip-top graphic cards to hit that.

So the underlying problem is that even if you were able to play a 4K game on your PS4K, it would run like total booty. This tech is years off from being realistic at a consumer pricepoint.

PS4
PS4K
PSVR (perhiperial)

iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6S
iPhone 6S Plus
iPhone SE
iPad Pro Mini

If PS4K is for media playback and possibly an upscaler for 4K displays I see no issue with this. My response was to a PS4 that would actually be something like a half step to PS5.

RK128

I always thought it was more of a form factor change and screen display improvement.

I think the DSi had a faster CPU or something.....

Something like Sonic Classic Collection comes to mind, where the original DS had frame rate issues while the DSi version had smooth 60FPS for all four games in the collection.

Dennis

Banned
I can't see it being actually named PS4 4K at release though.

The name heavily implies you can play 4K games.

Make more sense to call it PS4 VR Edition.

On one hand, I applaud this incremental upgrade path consoles are embarking on.

On the other hand, this is the beginning of the end.

ps3ud0

Well if this refresh is really more to react to 4k and Sony's already engaged position - just like forcing through BD adoption with the PS3 then I'm fine with that.

Anything that's a PS3 Slim analogue is welcomed.

Pretty much confirms the original we heard when a Sony exec mentioned a model directed at 4k.

ps3ud0 8)

Markoman

I can't see it being actually named PS4 4K at release though.

The name heavily implies you can play 4K games.

Make more sense to call it PS4 VR Edition.

Sounds good, but...
The uninformed PS4 users might think 'my PS4 is not suited for VR'.

I'm so looking forward to playing games with 20 fps on my standard PS4. I have absolutely no trust in developers making games perform reasonably on the standard PS4 when the PS4K is out.

I'm so looking forward to playing games with 20 fps on my standard PS4. I have absolutely no trust in developers making games perform reasonably on the standard PS4 when the PS4K is out.
That's a reasonable reaction too. I'd give it after the first year you start seeing some type of bull happen an exclusive feature,bad performance something. That is a possibility

jahasaja

Could somebody please explain the business upside of this.

The way I understand it console makers makes the most money on hardware at the tail end of a console cycle since the components at that time is old and therefore cheap.

Secondly, I also I though that console makers earn the most profit on the software. That should be even more true this gen because of digital sales.

Because of these 2 points I really do not understand why Sony, the market leader, made this decision.

Personally, option 3 in the DF article is my bet. Albeit an incredibly safe one. The other two options I think are not a great idea, at all imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It had four times the RAM and the primary CPU was twice as fast.

Man

Could somebody please explain the business upside of this.
1. The console sales through-output will increase (thanks to a core group of gamers always buying new $399-499 console iterations every three years).
2. Consoles will stay more current as technology develops, this could likely increase their market size.
3. The player base is a constant stable population, it doesn't get reset to 0. Enormous benefit to expensive gaming projects. More stability for everyone including gamers.
4. One-off benefit of pushing 4K content right-now.
5. Peripherals like PSVR will have separate cycles from that off console iterations!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If it was literally just a PS4 Slim with an ability to output 4K video or a hardware scaler that could upscale 1080p output to 4K, I don't think they would need to inform developers at GDC. It'd be irrelevant to them.

Presumably there's at least some kind of hardware upgrade they need to be aware of.

Lol, I can imagine the next Naught Dog game.
Who'd want to play that on the previous old console when all the bells, whistles and overall effort will be stuffed into PS4K (especially as a mandate by Sony to push PS4K hardware)

The potential for gimping is limitless.

It had four times the RAM and the primary CPU was twice as fast.

Ahh thanks for the response.

So the upgrade was quite significant then...

nib95

Banned
Honestly, lots of potential pit falls to this. For example, if differences go beyond resolution, say to frames rates and graphical effects too, that just doesn't seem like it'd be fair in competitive environments where such things can make more of a difference. Eg players having a gameplay advantage because of a hardware advantage.

Then with the whole VR thing. Right now the advantage of PSVR is its cheaper than the competition, both the headset and the system. If they sell a more powerful but expensive console, just to play the same not that amazing looking games as the PS4, but in 4K at a more expensive cost, surely in terms of consumer mindset it'll start diminishing the price difference between PS4 VR packages and PC VR packages, like Oculus for example? I mean, PS4K VR games are still going to have to run on the PS4, so it's not like they'll be super state of the art. If it's that much more expensive, it may almost start making Oculus or Vive plus a half decent PC rig, sound more viable.

Top Bottom