• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

What the hell, so they're actually splitting their userbase? Has Sony lost their marbles? Or will this literally just be a play all PS4 games but at a higher resolution affair? If it's any more than that, I worry about it's implications.

I doubt we are going to see any performance improvements in an iterative console like this, I think it will just support what Eurogamer mentioned (support for 4K, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and HDR and a new 4K BluRay player) with enhanced multimedia capabilities being the focus (bundled with the BluRay Remote etc.).

As for games, they will be exactly the same as PS4 games currently. The only exception might be an update to the SDK to allow UI elements to be rendered at 4K on top of the regular framebuffer at 1080p so the UI/HUD doesn't look blurry. They may also throw in some new hardware solution to do the best possible upscale.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's not selfish because we actually want Sony to make good financial decisions. The PS4 is selling really well, so why fuck with something that's already working? If anyone planned to buy a PS4 they are probably in a holding pattern right now until Sony clears this up.

And releasing iterative hardware seems ass backwards to me. Last gen the mantra with the PS3 was ten year lifecycle...now it seems it's being cut 7 years to 3. That's not a good deal for consumers and most people won't support it. Sony makes plenty of money on software sales and by trimming the production costs on the existing PS4 hardware. Sony will just lose money on a PS4K and irritate its customers with this.
You are making quite a few assumptions. It will be a super appealing 4k Blu-Ray player and Sony has sold many many consoles on the back of their consoles being good for that.

Sounds like it could possibly not be as massive a factor as initially believed, if all they're doing is adding native 4k playback and UHD support for media.

But then again...not as interesting if that were true, though perhaps not as catastrophic to many of us.

Yep. This is sounding more and more like something that would make no difference to me whatsoever.

Blastoise

Banned
Sony's goal is to introduce 4K to the PS4 system. There will be enough of a upgrade so that there is no slow down, but not enough that games will be 4K native.

I bet it will have an amazing scaler. Upscaling 1080p to 4K, even on a 55inch, looks very good.

otakukidd

Well that's funny, when I called customer service to ask about the loud fan noise while playing 60fps games, they told me it was not a fault and was normal operating conditions.
They lied but arent going to fix it. Truthfully I haven't ran into a loud one yet out of all my friends. It's probably the most silent console I own next to the wii. (The disc drive was concerning at first cause I was like what was that but really that only last a few seconds after start up to see what game it is.)

What the hell, so they're actually splitting their userbase? Has Sony lost their marbles? Or will this literally just be a play all PS4 games but at a higher resolution affair? If it's any more than that, I worry about it's implications.
Both console will run the same games with same network capabilities, it is hardly splitting userbase.

RK128

I think the most logical expectation from this mess is that the PS4K will be able to display movies/media at 4K while games are upscaled into 4K.

The power jump would be like the PSP 2000 jump in power compared to the PSP 1000; a bit faster and a bit more powerful; games still run the same but some run slightly better with the new hardware (something like the GTA PSP games come to mind).

If its ANYTHING more then this though, I'm done with Sony systems.

No one knows so we can't answer this 100% but i can't see them fucking over their current userbase...but i can't say they wont start too either. Need more info on how they plan on doing this

nib95

Banned
I doubt we are going to see any performance improvements in an iterative console like this, I think it will just support what Eurogamer mentioned (support for 4K, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and HDR and a new 4K BluRay player) with enhanced multimedia capabilities being the focus (bundled with the BluRay Remote etc.).

As for games, they will be exactly the same as PS4 games currently. The only exception might be an update to the SDK to allow UI elements to be rendered at 4K on top of the regular framebuffer at 1080p so the UI/HUD doesn't look blurry. They may also throw in some new hardware solution to do the best possible upscale.

I seriously hope this is it.

But I thought the PS4 already had the ability to support 4K? At least in blue rays anyway. Though I appreciate it's not on the cards yet.

Man

What the hell, so they're actually splitting their userbase?
No.

All games for the next many years will release as PS4 games.
These games will include higher graphical presets & hardware tuning for owners of PS4K.

When the PS5 comes around you will first then start to see games dropping PS4 support (but not PS4K).

Kyne

I've been thinking about getting a 4k media player.

I'd probably bite on something like this for that alone. Especially because stand alone units are about $400 right now.

Markoman

Lol wat.

They are talking prototypes for the newer PS4, E3 is too soon.

While I share your sentiments about all the negatives of a new much more powerful PS4 (shudders), I wouldn't abandon ship on Sony consoles all together.

Just when the PS5 launches I sure as shit ain't picking it up and will wait for the more powerful PS5.5 to come out before even thinking of upgrading.

Exactly how this is going to work for me. This secures that enough exclusive titles pile up in the meantime. No more day one for me.

Maximo

Never doubted the first rumor. Curious about it. Maybe it's just a 4K output for Movies and stuff and not for gaming? (Option 3 in the article)

I thought that was the obvious answer no idea where the Gaming in 4K rumour came from, some games could certainly benefit from the slight power increases but they sure as hell were not going to be natively displayed in 4K resolution.

Yup it that happens, I'm waiting until PS6 is announced and buying the last iteration of the PS5.X, not buying hardware at launch better again, won't be at an disadvantage against others and I'm not buying new hardware every two or so years.

The best thing would be to just enter generations mid way with a hardware upgrade.

Let the early adopters be guinea pigs for all the new games then get the greatly improved model down the line with all enhancements for old and new software.
Fuck me that all sounds depressing though.

Yep. This is sounding more and more like something that would make no difference to me whatsoever.

This is the only way they can do it to not annoy and confuse current PS4 owners.
Do this new PS4 in a way that genuinely makes no perceptible difference to the 40m+ players out there.

Exactly how this is going to work for me. This secures that enough exclusive titles pile up in the meantime. No more day one for me.

Another great bonus to a potentially all round shit situation lol

BruceCLea

Banned
I say option #2. Otherwise what's the point?

No way it's option #1. Option #3 just doesn't seem enough of an ugrade to justify all of this press and coverage. The downsizing of the GPU with better performance seems huge for consoles.

nib95

Banned
No.

All games for the next many years will release as PS4 games.
These games will include higher graphical presets & hardware tuning for owners of PS4K.

When the PS5 comes around you will first then start to see games dropping PS4 support (but not PS4K).

That would still be splitting the userbase though. And forcing developers to design around two platforms instead of one, even if very similar in architecture.

A LOT of people want consoles to more or less become PC Boxes that you buy every 1-2 years. Just look at the PS4.5 Thread, a scary number of people are find shelling out 400$ every year or so for a new PlayStation :(.

So people who bought the console 2 years ago will now have to buy the upgraded console if they want the best performance when it should be the best performance out of the box?

it goes against the whole idea of a console

I bought the PS4 at launch thinking I would get Uncharted 4 the way it was meant to played.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
It's not selfish because we actually want Sony to make good financial decisions. The PS4 is selling really well, so why fuck with something that's already working? If anyone planned to buy a PS4 they are probably in a holding pattern right now until Sony clears this up.
Sony has a good track record this generation and no doubt has some experienced financial advisors. I wouldn't worry about the health of their playstation brand.

Most casuals planning on buying a ps4 probably don't even know this is happening. They were still selling PS3's even with PS4 release dates around the corner.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So for someone with a PS4 who recently got a new 50" 1080p TV where do I stand on this?
Sounds like it's useless unless you actually have a 4k TV and only Movies will output natively in 4K.

I say option #2. Otherwise what's the point?

No way it's option #1. Option #3 just doesn't seem enough of an ugrade to justify all of this press and coverage. The downsizing of the GPU with better performance seems huge for consoles.

To be fair these are more hyped up leaks then press coverage.

RK128

So people who bought the console 2 years ago will now have to buy the upgraded console if they want the best performance when it should be the best performance out of the box?

it goes against the whole idea of a console

But people want options and such!

....I don't get it either honestly :l.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm only interested if its a significant upgrade for gaming purposes.
Not expecting 4k resolutions for gaming but would hope for double the resolution and/or frame rate compared to PS4 games. For example I'd expect a new PS4 game that ran at 900p and 30 FPS to run on PS4.5 at 900p and 60 FPS or even 1080p and 60 FPS.

If there aren't significant improvement in gaming performance then its really not worth it.

The most likely scenario is that we're getting a PS4 that does 4K native output for media applications. Mostly that means HDMI 2.0 support so you can get 4k at 60hz, right now it would be limited to 24hz on PS4's as that's all the bandwidth of 1.4 can support. I suspect we'll also see improvements to the hardware scaler to account for 4k TV's.

This seems like it's more for Netflix than for games.

Man

That would still be splitting the userbase though. And forcing developers to design around two platforms instead of one, even if very similar in architecture or not.
It will be like optimizing for 1.1x platforms to hit XXmillion users instead of 1x platform. It's not much extra work, insignificant compared to the whole game development process itself.
If the PS4K is using AMD Polaris then it's very, very close to PS4 in architecture (it's a newer version is all, same overall flow).

yuraya

Gotta feel bad for everyone buying the PSVR headsets and don't buy this new console. Its pretty much guaranteed the new console will output better visuals and provide a better VR experience. Its probably why they are doing this to begin with.

Sony is fucked up for doing this but at the same time they have no choice but to chase the VR train otherwise you could get left behind and lose out on a lot of money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the more I see of this, the more I get the impression that Sony wants to launch DSi equivalents mid-generation going forward as opposed to totally upending their console cycle.

Or in other words, having a 6 year cycle for primary iterations, but an upgraded model halfway through to make the idea of 6 year old technology seem less archaic.

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm surprised they didn't think of it basically just taking in the necessary extra power for PSVR so that extra box becomes unnecessary.

nib95

Banned
It will be like optimizing for 1.1x platforms to hit XXmillion users instead of 1x platform.
If the PS4K is using AMD Polaris then it's very, very close to PS4 in architecture.

Doesn't matter how close it is, it's still different hardware performance and would still require a completely different priority and level of optimisation. Not to mention splitting up the user experience, especially noteworthy in multiplayer games etc, dependant solely on hardware.

I seriously hope this is it.

Sony JUST announced the release of PSVR. They are not going to do anything right now that might confuse consumers further.

What my gut is telling me is that Kotaku got some of this info wrong. I think there was some misunderstanding and possibly some conjecture was added based on the info.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yup it that happens, I'm waiting until PS6 is announced and buying the last iteration of the PS5.X, not buying hardware at launch better again, won't be at an disadvantage against others and I'm not buying new hardware every two or so years.
That's a solid plan, I hope you remember this in 2025.

Fujinn

Option 3 all the way. 4k media and MAYBE 4k upscaled games.

There is no way they can build a console with 4k capabilities (mantaining the same iq as 1080p) and charging 399 for it.

Top Bottom