• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

link1201

So no green light or did I miss it? I prefer it as shown here:

aXFls0P.png

I dunno this Major Nelson guy just seems like a tool. Why can't MS get someone intelligent like Cerny who knows what theyre talking about...or someone more hip and cool to show you their products rather than someone's dad off the street. They need better presenters seriously.

That being said the headset looks nice enough and so does the controller. The console itself is too big and why in hell it still needs a massive power brick is kinda off putting. Also they made the power brick wide just because they wanted everything to look universal by making them wide 16:9. Seriously? They could have made it smaller if they wanted to then?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
We can all agree that the headset included with the Xbox one is much better than the EARSET included with the PS4.
Well, that and the PS4 doesn't have in line controls for audio for the gamepad, does it? If it doesn't, and your headset doesn't have in line controls, I'd imagine pausing the game to adjust your headset's audio would be a pain.

Orayn

Well, that and the PS4 doesn't have in line controls for audio for the gamepad, does it? If it doesn't, and your headset doesn't have in line controls, I'd imagine pausing the game to adjust your headset's audio would be a pain.

I think that little inline pod has volume adjust and mute/unmute.

JxKrjqj.jpg

Satchel

Banned
Can't wait to hear the voice clarity on it.

Wifi direct has huge bandwidth compared to Bluetooth. Apparently almost as good as phone call clarity.

Bsigg12

I dunno this Major Nelson guy just seems like a tool. Why can't MS get someone intelligent like Cerny who knows what theyre talking about...or someone more hip and cool to show you their products rather than someone's dad off the street. They need better presenters seriously.

That being said the headset looks nice enough and so does the controller. The console itself is too big and why in hell it still needs a massive power brick is kinda off putting. Also they made the power brick wide just because they wanted everything to look universal by making them wide 16:9. Seriously? They could have made it smaller if they wanted to then?

Since none of us have any sort of insider knowledge on the way they designed it, it's hard say what is possible. The obvious reason for the power brick is to keep less heat out of the system and the size of the system is partially because of the massive fucking fan inside it cooling it. You have to remember they designed this thing to always have power running through it, not just on and off like current consoles. I would much rather have Microsoft make a larger system that isn't prone to heat issues and RRoD than push a super stylistic design that could have issues if your house/setup isn't cooled enough. That isn't a shot at the PS4 design, as I really like the way the PS4 looks and I hope it doesn't have issues.

Also, Microsoft has a ton of people talking about the Xbox One right now. Major Nelson (Larry Hyrb is his real name) is the community spokesperson. Marc Whitten and some of the hardware engineers chime in time to time to give a little more in depth coverage of where they're at but Nelson is the main day to day person. He can come off a little harsh but I think most people would after being the main figure head that had to deal with the Xbox One reveal/DRM backlash.

M.Z

Banned

Major Nelson is awesome :) also he's the pr guy not the system architect like cerny

GavinGT

Banned
You'd think that Microsoft had started taking PR lessons from Monster, with that HDMI cable description!

Lower-quality HDMI cables may look fine at 720p but produce artifacting at 1080p. There's nothing slimy about announcing that your HDMI cable can do 4k reliably.

Major Nelson is awesome :) also he's the pr guy not the system architect like cerny

He's also the Director of Programming for Xbox Live.

Metfanant

Lower-quality HDMI cables may look fine at 720p but produce artifacting at 1080p. There's nothing slimy about announcing that your HDMI cable can do 4k reliably.

you can get HDMI cables that do 4k "reliably" for a few dollars...its simply a marketing bullet point...

MaulerX

Oh boy.

Orayn

But it's not built into the gamepad, is it? Or can you plug your own headset into it?

I'm not sure what you mean. The Xbox One controller doesn't have built-in controls either, it just has a little panel that plugs into the bottom of the controller instead of an inline pod.

GavinGT

Banned
you can get HDMI cables that do 4k "reliably" for a few dollars...its simply a marketing bullet point...

You can. But you can also get HDMI cables for a few dollars that don't do it reliably. It's a point worth mentioning, even if the intent is bound to be misinterpreted.

Metfanant

the Xbone included headset certainly looks better than the PS4's...im just glad they will both have one...

ill be using my PS3's bluetooth headset on the PS4, but it will be nice to have the wired "bud" as a backup...

i think it was simply a stupid oversight on MS' part to ever intend to ship the console without at least a wired headset in the first place...

VanWinkle

Looks like those earphones that comes with cheap cellphones. Cant remember the last time I used an earbud like this. Lol

Ah, yeah? Are the expensive smartphones these days using banded headsets like the XB1's?

Wait, I can do this too. "The XB1 headset looks like those cheap headsets used in telemarketing. Lol."

see5harp

What the hell are you guys talking about it's the same thing as the majority of the population is using with their iPhones.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm not sure what you mean. The Xbox One controller doesn't have built-in controls either, it just has a little panel that plugs into the bottom of the controller instead of an inline pod.
I prefer the plug in panel, it's easier to use than an inline pod.

Can I use a headset of my choice with the inline pod, or am I at the mercy of what's on my headset.

AA is where it is at...instant fully charged controller when depleted. Join the eneloop party!
I'm a proponent of Eneloops. I use them for a bunch of things from my camera flash, to remote controls, to my beard trimmer, and yes my 360 controller. But honestly I prefer the internal batteries of my Dualshocks to my AA 360 controller. I simply plug-in/dock them when I'm not using them, so they're always charged up. No need to hassle with opening up the controller to swap out batteries that I need to charge separately. Just think of the hassle it would be if you had to open up your mobile phone and swap out the battery every time it died. I don't think many people would prefer that to the way mobile phones are currently charged, so I don't know why so many people prefer it for controllers. Another example akin to the DS/phone charging method is my electric toothbrush. I brush my teeth and dock the tootbrush back on the charging station that's always plugged-in. Who wants to hassle swapping batteries on an electric toothbrush? Eneloops are versatile, but they're not the ideal solution to everything.

bj00rn_

Banned
I dunno this Major Nelson guy just seems like a tool. Why can't MS get someone intelligent like Cerny who knows what theyre talking about...or someone more hip and cool to show you their products rather than someone's dad off the street.

What do you mean someone's dad? I didn't quite get this one, is there something wrong with being a dad in the gaming industry now? Is this 2013 or 1983..?

Anyway, it doesn't matter who takes Major Nelson's place. In the end of the day no one is cool if you don't want them to be, it's a simple fact/rule in psychology. Major Nelson has been with MS like forever, he has been rather popular and successful in his position until recently, no one said much of a bad word about him - until MS started losing its underdog status.. Funny right? Suddenly he goes from being the forefront figure of community to being the evil villain? Not very likely to be rooted in objectivity that one..

Orayn

Can I use a headset of my choice with the inline pod, or am I at the mercy of what's on my headset.

Unless I'm missing something, you can't use a headset of your choice with the panel on the Xbox One either.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Now add the play and charge kit.
Just get a regular USB cable.....in fact you probably already have a USB cable at home right now.

I have like 4.

Last things I need:

1. Kinect in the box, but not required to run the console. Did they already confirm you can turn off the listening entirely, even so it's not looking for "Xbox On." If I need to use it, I need it OFF when the console is off.
2. A controller with an internal battery, not more of the AA battery crap.
3. Confirmation that I can buy an Xbox One controller and have it work on PC in the near future. Because damn, that thing (specifically the d-pad, is sexy).

Make it happen, Microsoft.

1. He did just turn the console on without the Kinect plugged in(or was i seeing things)
2. Internal battery?.....Why AAs make life easier, get a set of rechargeables and never worry about the controller dying, just quick swap or plug in your USB cable.
3. Confirmation will come from Microsoft when the drivers are released.....and I imagine they will be released as soon as the console or controller hit the market, so just be patient.
If MS doesnt release drivers ASAP im sure the community will come up with drivers based on current X360 drivers in a matter of days.

raphanum

I just want both consoles to launch already so we can get passed the childish bickering about which is better. However, I know this won't be the case.

In a perfect world..

No, but probably because then they'd have to double the packaging size.
Lol. You gotta be kidding me. It's not because of the packaging size. It's because NO ONE would want to use those ugly-ass headsets with their phones in public. How many people have you ever seen doing that with third party headsets?

ToyBroker

Banned

That panel is attached to the bundled headset, isn't it?

You can plug any headset you want into the Dualshock 4, though.

Either way I don't care. I was completely fine with the 360 headset. It's clear to me that nearly everything Sony does these days is entirely informed by iOS and Apple though.

LOL

Man, you're on fire today.

raphanum

Lol. You gotta be kidding me. It's not because of the packaging size. It's because NO ONE would want to use those ugly-ass headsets with their phones in public. How many people have you ever seen doing that with third party headsets?

I've only ever seen a small handful, including friends of mine who are into audio engineering so they're obsessed with having the best headphones for everything they listen to. But majority of people? Standing in a train after work, all I see is an ocean of white iphone earphones.

"Xbox, lower volume?"

SPDIF

A headset designed for gaming with a microphone sticking out at the side, no. But there's plenty of people who use headphones with their phone.

see5harp

Yea, that's exactly why Apple just added to the regular headphones and is probably why Sony went that way for their headset. I was actually pretty upset that Sony didn't allow iPhone earbuds to work with Vita.

LOL

Man, you're on fire today.

What are you talking about?

raphanum

A headset designed for gaming with a microphone sticking out at the side, no. But there's plenty of people who use headphones with their phone.

I wouldn't say plenty. A small minority, if that.

Yea, that's exactly why Apple just added to the regular headphones and is probably why Sony went that way for their headset. I was actually pretty upset that Sony didn't allow iPhone earbuds to work with Vita.

Can they be used with PS4?

GavinGT

Banned

You mean there's some stigma against using over-the-head headphones in public? That's news to me.

VanWinkle

He's referring to a headset like the one that comes with XB1, not headphones. Voice chat headsets.

MercuryLS

Banned
We can all agree that the headset included with the Xbox one is much better than the EARSET included with the PS4.

I'm sure the Xbox One headset is of better quality since they made it to be sold and due to pressure from the community they bundled it in. Personally I don't like headsets that go over the head. That said, the one included with the PS4 looks pretty cheap and I can imagine it falling out of my big ass ears quite easily. The best thing Sony did was include a 3.5mm jack on the controller, I should hopefully be able to use my in-ear headphones with in-line mic with the machine.

Top Bottom