• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 IOT2I - The GODS have fallen - Final day July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

the whole hype thing is overblown. idk why you guys act like it's golf or the spelling bee

Basically the entire SF bracket was getting hated on until Losers Finals. Shit, even for the first half of the set people were hating on it because it was "boring" since Gamerbee had about 25 heals in 6 rounds.

Until losers finals? So winners finals wasn't hype? FOH with your
duckr.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, I don't really get the allure of what MLG does. It feels so phony. So does LOL and DOTA 2. I just don't get the appeal of MOBA. It's like 'hey, this shit has a lot of money behind it, so you should like it as much as other big name IP's.'
facepalm.gif

That's not the case at all. You don't know shit if you are comparing 'lmao eSports tournaments' for games with no competitive base, no real spectator tools, and a $10-$50,000 single time tournament that's written off in Marketing costs. Especially given how old Dota and CS is
Explain where they money comes and goes to first.

If you are talking about the casters who jump from picked up contracted game to game, then yes I agree with you it feels pretty bad, but for the small communities it's a blast if you are in them.

LordJim

Viscant won and did decent in majors for a few months after his win, and was winning majors before his EVO championship.

Yeah, he did win at least one major before that and had top 8s.
Can't think of other 1 hit wonders that actually made it to grand finals (though quite a few for top 8)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So does anyone think Mango was being a crybaby during the award ceremony?

Yes. I lost some respect for him for throwing that medal. Nearly 2000 people in their whole lives who were there could never be in his position. I wouldn't be surprised if the EVO guys were insulted by that because I would be. That's just plain disrespectful.

vocab

Yeah, I don't really get the allure of what MLG does. It feels so phony. So does LOL and DOTA 2. I just don't get the appeal of MOBA. It's like 'hey, this shit has a lot of money behind it, so you should like it as much as other big name IP's.'

I play fighting games, dota 2, and CSGO, and all have comparable draw, massive skill gaps, names, hype, and money behind them. Dota 2 and CSGO valve sponsored tournaments are amazing and dont really have that dry mlg feel. I agree it is phony, but not everything is like that. Compare CPT to poverty stream. Ones professional, one isn't. MLG honestly takes the crowd away from the viewers, and it really tones down the atmosphere. IN CSGO for example, The recent Katowice was godlike. Had 1+ mill viewers. The crowd is right up next to the players 90% of the time. Massive energy. TI has the biggest prize pool in history of any competitive game. It's going to be insane. Massive crowd. Both games have their personalities and commentators that people like. The phony shit sucks. I hated shit like CGS, it killed my favorite game of all time in the US because of corporate bullshit.

Omega

Banned
The FGC is something grassroots and if it keeps true to it's roots could be profitable and something just out of love.

dudes have been saying this shit since like 09.

CSGO broke 1 million views on their last major and FGC getting hyped over barely reaching 200k. I'm pretty sure the April Fools Bot World Championships got more viewers than EVO.

I love both scenes but come on. the scene isn't going to grow if people keep thinking like this. the suits aren't out to steal your hype

Rainy

Banned
Also if anyone is wondering when the next USF4 related events are happening, you just have to wait 2 weeks:

VS Fighting in the UK and FV Cup 2015 both happen August 8th to the 9th, and both are CPT ranking events.

CSGO broke 1 million views on their last major and FGC getting hyped over barely reaching 200k. I'm pretty sure the April Fools Bot World Championships got more viewers than EVO.

I love both scenes but come on.

the point is no one cares how many viewers those games have.

mbpm1

I love both scenes but come on. the scene isn't going to grow if people keep thinking like this. the suits aren't out to steal your hype

Numbers aren't the point. Or at least that's what I got from that post. He said, "could be profitable" but that wasn't the intention.

Gamer taking a round was fine there. Razor and their random build quality is to blame to be honest. I honestly felt bad for Momochi there and if he lost because of Razor can you imagine?

On another aside I wonder if Ono watched and saw Elena healing like that and thought that was anything but a scam. That was really absurd how quickly she can build "heal" meter. It's too the point which I think Elena should be banned from tournament play.

If anyone should be mad it's Infiltration because he beat Gamer no less than six times?
Absolutely not. He gave Elena that meter. Whenever I fight against Elena I try to throw as few fireballs as possible.

Vaporak

A lot of FGC fans in here getting embarrassed by being compared to the popular kids in the competitive gaming world and rationalizing it by saying they're only more popular because they're just a bunch of posers with a fake scene. Don't taint a good evo discussion with this seriously ignorant shit. Evo's, and other tournaments, are looking more popular than ever so just focus on the good shit that your own scene brings to the table.

Mechazawa

If you don't think LOL and Dota 2 are "big name IPs" it means you don't know what you're talking about. Fighting games have the passion no doubt, but they aren't hanging when it comes to raw playerbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom