• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 IOT2I - The GODS have fallen - Final day July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely. the "paywall" was, at worst, $12 for 3 days and 7(?) stream channels on HIGH quality. really, it was more like a clean window that people complained about having to look through instead of being allowed to open it. the entitlement bred in the past 2-3 years is really depressing.

I found it disappointing just because of how terrible it made games like KI and Marvel look on "High" and because I'd never heard of quality options being locked via Twitch Paywall. It's fine though, it's basically like paying for a ticket to the event.

I feel like the majority of people that want esports in the FGC don't understand what esports actually is. It's not a bunch of people just waiting to give you money because you found a bunch of white dudes and put blazers on them.

2002 esports was a bunch of companies trying to have the next x-games before the stock market collapsed and investments went away, 2011 esports was a bunch of companies trying to have the next NFL before they realized they don't have any way of making money, and 2015 esports is just big devs putting money into competition to keep their communities invested in their game.

Middlemen like MLG and ESL are slowly going by the wayside, EVO was correct to keep doing what they felt was sustainable and not follow them off the cliff. Esports for any given game right now depends on what the publisher/developers want, it's not EVO or the FGC's call at this point. If you invest in the competitive scene (Capcom Cup) people will support it.

TheRetroKid

Neo Member
I found it disappointing just because of how terrible it made games like KI and Marvel look on "High" and because I'd never heard of quality options being locked via Twitch Paywall. It's fine though, it's basically like paying for a ticket to the event.

cheaper, even. I mean, a spectator badge cost x amount, and you only got to watch whatever was on the big screens...and depending on your level of access, you may not even be able to watch it in the ballroom the actual match was happening. this meant that you were literally at EVO, but were watching the same stream (with the same 10-second delay) as the people sitting on their couches at home. On top of that, if you were watching whatever was projected in the venue, they weren't piping in commentary, so it was all just game sound.

Astarte

2e671e3b37421a4d3511df87c6a174ca.png

I made up my mind, I need to go to evo next year.

having to subscribe to IGN in 2009 in order to watch EVO.

No, I watched EVO2009 live without having to subscribe to anything. It was on ustream or one of the steaming start up that got phased out when twitch got popular. You did need to subscribe to IGN to watch the archive though.

The EVO2009 archives also got purged when the IGN subscription thing didn't work out. The only videos left are the grand finals that someone managed to download from IGN and uploaded it to youtube

MutFox

Banned
Both Razer mice I've owned have had input issues...
Stopped buying that brand after that.

Don't trust their stuff.

What is the rule for pausing the game in USF4?
I've heard 1 round, 1 match, up to opponent, etc...

Hope this means that for future Street Fighter's,
that there's a possible tournament version.
Something that has everything unlocked, pause is disabled, set with tournament rules, etc...

Zebra

Been catching up on the past few hours of the thread.
I know some of yall were arguing against Evo becoming a four day thing, but I actually had a hard time juggling between all the streams I wanted to watch this weekend. There was sooo much. If we can expect evo to have more games and/or players next year, that's even more streaming overlap that I will have to make sacrifices on. Make it a Thurs-Sun event that can give the tourneys more breathing room and me more time to watch more stuff.

I had a lot of fun watching this year. I would have loved even more.

Both Razer mice I've owned have had input issues...
Stopped buying that brand after that.

Don't trust their stuff.

What is the rule for pausing the game in USF4?
I've heard 1 round, 1 match, up to opponent, etc...

Hope this means that for future Street Fighter's,
that there's a possible tournament version.
Something that has everything unlocked, pause is disabled, set with tournament rules, etc...

IF YOU INTENTIONALLY PAUSE: Disqualified. Opponent wins.

HARDWARE MALFUNCTION: Round goes to opponent.

Edit: Also pause being disabled means nothing if a stick desyncs from the game console.

Seyavesh

look at KBR today, and how he wasn't allowed to get on the mic. why do you think that was? it's because EVO's so big, that even while it still being run by the canons and wiz, it's now highly visible, and allowing the potential for an FGC-style pop-off would be bad for business. now amplify that 100-fold when big business steps in, and that's what happens. that and the scene gets watered down...ala adam sessler on commentary in 2010, or having to subscribe to IGN in 2009 in order to watch EVO.
for the record, this is what KBR said:
"It's not America's game anymore! But it's not Chile's, either! It's for both! And for Mexico! and for Japan! and for everyone else! Marvel is for the world because Marvel lives!"

TheRetroKid

Neo Member
No, I watched EVO2009 live without having to subscribe to anything. It was on ustream or one of the steaming start up that got phased out when twitch got popular. You did need to subscribe to IGN to watch the archive though.

The EVO2009 archives also got purged when the IGN subscription thing didn't work out. The only videos left are the grand finals that someone managed to download from IGN and uploaded it to youtube

thanks for the correction.

TheRetroKid

Neo Member
for the record, this is what KBR said:
"It's not America's game anymore! But it's not Chile's, either! It's for both! And for Mexico! and for Japan! and for everyone else! Marvel is for the world because Marvel lives!"

i'm sure that whatever he said was nothing but inspiring and uplifting, painting the FGC in a great light...but for every one of those, there's inevitably going to be a dark prince-type pop-off, or a beb0p pop-off, all in the name of hype.

Seyavesh

i'm sure that whatever he said was nothing but inspiring and uplifting, painting the FGC in a great light...but for every one of those, there's inevitably going to be a dark prince-type pop-off, or a beb0p pop-off, all in the name of hype.
i'm just highlighting your point that it literally doesn't matter what is said because they want to remove any potential risk in losing sponsors or generating controversy and that means removing things like that, things that are very much part of the soul of competition and community

MutFox

Banned
IF YOU INTENTIONALLY PAUSE: Disqualified. Opponent wins.

HARDWARE MALFUNCTION: Round goes to opponent.

Edit: Also pause being disabled means nothing if a stick desyncs from the game console.

Thanks.

Would be cool if instead of pause then, it popped up with a disconnect.
Then possibly a referee could be the only one able to pause.
That way troubleshooting the issue would be quicker.

Lucumo

Yep, it was on ustream and you definitely didn't have to sign up anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom