• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 IOT2I - The GODS have fallen - Final day July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRetroKid

Neo Member
dudes have been saying this shit since like 09.

CSGO broke 1 million views on their last major and FGC getting hyped over barely reaching 200k. I'm pretty sure the April Fools Bot World Championships got more viewers than EVO.

I love both scenes but come on. the scene isn't going to grow if people keep thinking like this. the suits aren't out to steal your hype

true...but the suits do inhibit/censor and prevent the (true FGC) hype, all because now there's outside money being "invested" into a scene that is constantly being told it needs to expand.

look at KBR today, and how he wasn't allowed to get on the mic. why do you think that was? it's because EVO's so big, that even while it still being run by the canons and wiz, it's now highly visible, and allowing the potential for an FGC-style pop-off would be bad for business. now amplify that 100-fold when big business steps in, and that's what happens. that and the scene gets watered down...ala adam sessler on commentary in 2010, or having to subscribe to IGN in 2009 in order to watch EVO.

the point is, the bigger the FGC gets, the more people who just got in will feel like they know what's best for the scene. the truth is, the scene doesn't NEED the attention of MLG, ESPN, IGN or thousands of stream views. we're talking about a scene that has sustained itself at one point on games that were 10 years old.

the question is, what is "growth"?

KingBroly

Banned
If you don't think LOL and Dota 2 are "big name IPs" it means you don't know what you're talking about. Fighting games have the passion no doubt, but they aren't hanging when it comes to raw playerbase.

That's not what I'm saying, though. I feel like the rise of MOBA feels somewhat artificial is all. It somehow went from 0 to 100 in almost no time at all when other games and communities have been trying to do what MOBA did for much longer.

Really so do no offense at all? Just sit back... wtf.

What? No. He said don't fireball. Infiltration was throwing fireballs with Chun-li that gave Gamerbee the meter for Heal, and then he would throw another fireball from a range where he couldn't punish Elena for healing. A few times he had the spacing right to where he would get a knock down in exchange for letting Elena heal after fireball, but he wasn't getting much damage off it. This is why Infiltration switching to Juri was smart. He could still harass with projectiles but he had attacks that could punish a heal from longer ranges than Chun.

Edit: Fixed some mistakes in the post (called Gamerbee Infiltration at one point, making it really confusing).

Jintor

Yep. Man, now I'm really really curious what it would be like for a developer to try and balance a puzzle game for head-to-head (as in, not like on separate machines just seeing who's faster) competitive play.

oh, so more than just puzzle fighter or battle tetris? hmmm

KingClown

Oh man, I think I'm at my limit for tonight. It was certainly one hell of a ride! It was my first time watching EVO and I enjoyed every moment of it. Spending it here made it even more enjoyable, so thanks for the fun times!

Talonz

What? No. He said don't fireball. Infiltration was throwing fireballs with Chun-li that gave Infiltration the meter for Heal, and then he would throw another fireball from a range where he couldn't punish Elena for healing. A few times he had the spacing right to where he would get a knock down in exchange for letting Elena heal after fireball, but he wasn't getting much damage off it. This is why Infiltration switching to Juri was smart. He could still harass with projectiles but he had attacks that could punish a heal from longer ranges than Chun.

You could only really pick Juri then. She was one of the very few cast members that could do that. That is imbalanced.

Septimius

Sigh. Here comes people not understanding the situation:

9b14aa9657.gif

This is the moment of the disconnection. Yes, Momochi had a slight life lead. However if you read what was currently happening, they are moving towards Momochi's corner. Gamerbee was bearing down on him with st.RH while Momochi is playing footsies and backing up not wanting to commit to anything crazy. It's probably at this point that Gamerbee is putting Momochi right where he wants him and boom disconnection. Add this on top of the fact that Gamerbee had to fight out of his mind in LOsers to get to this point and a disconnection? It completely fucked him who was already more exhausted and tired mentally from the long set with Infiltration. I wholeheartedly believe that Gamerbee was going to win. The people who like Momochi are just going to say that Gamerbee fucked himself after the disconnection and that it's his fault he didn't win.

Dude. When it was 2-1 L L, first round, Gamerbee was able to push Momochi into the corner. Momochi took the round. Round 2? Momochi backs into the corner in the exact same footsies situation. Momochi gets in a FADC combo but drops the link. That would've been the tournament. Not to mention how down to the wire the rest of the round was. It is what Seth and James were saying. ERyu lacks a bit in the neutral game, and for that, Gamerbee can pressure Momochi back, but Momochi finds great responses every single time. Round 3? Super-intense pressure, dropped FADCs had the tournament not decided. It was really clutch. Round 1 final match? Exact same thing. Momochi throws a slow fireball and uses it to push back. Momochi shows his backing up is deliberate to stay out of st.HK range, and that he's able to push back. We've seen that so many times, and we've seen Momochi handle it great. It's never been what made a round. Momochi was SO convincing the round previous to when this happened, and that started the exact same way as when the disconnect happened. You can even see it at the start of that round. Momochi backs up, then hits Gamerbee back. He's doing great at the neutral game.

It felt like the air went out of Gamerbee at the last round, personally. I was certain at that point that Momochi would take it. Difference is, I know that's conjuncture. The things you present are completely unsubstantial. Gamerbee handled every situation with great composure today. The mental exhaustion would be nothing but guess-work. How this affected the last round is impossible to say. What is safe to say is that the round when the disconnect happened looked like all other rounds. It was close, and Momochi was really convincing in some, just like that. There's nothing pointing towards Gamerbee having done anything special at the start of that round.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
true...but the suits do inhibit/censor and prevent the (true FGC) hype, all because now there's outside money being "invested" into a scene that is constantly being told it needs to expand.

look at KBR today, and how he wasn't allowed to get on the mic. why do you think that was? it's because EVO's so big, that even while it still being run by the canons and wiz, it's now highly visible, and allowing the potential for an FGC-style pop-off would be bad for business. now amplify that 100-fold when big business steps in, and that's what happens. that and the scene gets watered down...ala adam sessler on commentary in 2010, or having to subscribe to IGN in 2009 in order to watch EVO.

the point is, the bigger the FGC gets, the more people who just got in will feel like they know what's best for the scene. the truth is, the scene doesn't NEED the attention of MLG, ESPN, IGN or thousands of stream views. we're talking about a scene that has sustained itself at one point on games that were 10 years old.

the question is, what is "growth"?
2009 sounded nasty.

You could only really pick Juri then. She was one of the very few cast members that could do that. That is imbalanced.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with the game, but Elena is in no way broken or imbalanced. She certainly has her weaknesses, but most people aren't that hip to the matchup. Juri is certainly not the only or even one of the very few characters that can fight Elena. Chun actually matches up with her really well in my opinion but Gamerbee was just that damn good.

In my opinion the only character that Elena completely dominates is probably Zangief.

ShinMaruku

dudes have been saying this shit since like 09.

CSGO broke 1 million views on their last major and FGC getting hyped over barely reaching 200k. I'm pretty sure the April Fools Bot World Championships got more viewers than EVO.

I love both scenes but come on. the scene isn't going to grow if people keep thinking like this. the suits aren't out to steal your hype

People been saying it because it's true. None of those games would ever have such a shine over them until some dudes in Korea co-opted that shit and ran it efficently and showed the world it could be done. Then the suits came in.

I don't think even with all the corporate backing these games would hit the 1 million viewer mark anyway. And I am doubtful they could monetize this demographic as well as the pc based games could anyway, different values and that will make it hard for an MBA to put their minds in the way that these demographics think. They have a terrible track record on this.

Counterstrike is what I will always call the exception. Now the suits never went to steal the hype but they sure did not give a shit about CS:GO until it's community built up itself then went to them.

Lulubop

yeah but 2010 gave us the gold of a guy who didn't want to do commentary being forced to by suits in a game he knew literally nothing about to the point of where he assumed rounds were entire matches and carried over between matches

A flurry from Seyavesh

. now amplify that 100-fold when big business steps in, and that's what happens. that and the scene gets watered down...ala adam sessler on commentary in 2010, or having to subscribe to IGN in 2009 in order to watch EVO.

That really makes me grateful that all we really have that's limiting nowadays is a $12~ paywall to watch source quality.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
yeah but 2010 gave us the gold of a guy who didn't want to do commentary being forced to by suits in a game he knew literally nothing about to the point of where he assumed rounds were entire matches and carried over between matches
that's sounds like the worse.
Fucking businessman.

TheRetroKid

Neo Member
That really makes me grateful that all we really have that's limiting nowadays is a $12~ paywall to watch source quality.

absolutely. the "paywall" was, at worst, $12 for 3 days and 7(?) stream channels on HIGH quality. really, it was more like a clean window that people complained about having to look through instead of being allowed to open it. the entitlement bred in the past 2-3 years is really depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom