• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

Gon' be the greatest weekend of our lives.

I look forward to boarding the one-way hype train to Duff City.

10922566_1031802036845769_1243240793041328001_n-585x300.jpg

Dahbomb

There'd be two versions of SF next year. Right now, no SF game other than SFIV would get enough entrants to justify a main EVO game spot.
Last night Mr Wizard was on Capcom Pro Talk and stated that there might not be USF4 as a main game at EVO next year. Said that it would be too much trying to do both SF4 and SFV plus he is confident that people are more willing to move on to SFV from SF4.

Sayad

Last night Mr Wizard was on Capcom Pro Talk and stated that there might not be USF4 as a main game at EVO next year. Said that it would be too much trying to do both SF4 and SFV plus he is confident that people are more willing to move on to SFV from SF4.
Are you seriously falling for Mr Wizard's trolling!

.la1n

I think it's too early to assume people are just going to neatly transition over to playing SF V.

^you mean me and dahbomb fell for it? In my defense I didn't hear him say it, just reading.

Xater

Good. Move on to the new game unlike the Smash weirdos.

.la1n

It will go away when 5 drops just like 3rd strike did when 4 came out.

I don't really get why people don't think this will happen.

I don't like to assume anything. Don't get me wrong though, I have no problems with 4 getting dropped like a bad habit.

Are you seriously falling for Mr Wizard's trolling!
I don't think he's trolling if sfv picks up with the players then it will be insnane to run another 2k+ entry game.just like sf2 was dropped for 3s and 3s was dropped for iv I see the same thing happening here.But they could pull a smash and have two different games but we will find out this time next year.

BadWolf

Really hope that happens, SFIV has had more than enough time in the limelight.

Hyun Sai

Heeh, it would be funny if there was a split SFIV / SFV, but unlike Nintendo, Capcom and Sony are too involved in the scene now to allow this to happen.

JeTmAn81

I'd be surprised if SFIV gets run next year since the new game will be out but if any game was going to stay around it would be this one. SFIV just has a huge player base.

because a very tiny amount of people were playing 3rd strike competitively when 4 came out. Much higher chance for some retention of SFIV's fan base. Especially if 5 somehow turns out rough.

FGC back then was a tiny dot compared to what it is now. in b4 getting mad at me for implying that Capcom grew the FGC exponentially starting in '09

Skab

That is a side tourney and not a main game. Unlike both Smash 4 and Melee.

because a very tiny amount of people were playing 3rd strike competitively when 4 came out. Much higher chance for some retention of SFIV's fan base. Especially if 5 somehow turns out rough.

FGC back then was a tiny dot compared to what it is now. in b4 getting mad at me for implying that Capcom grew the FGC exponentially starting in '09

Which is yet another reason why it would be insane to try and run another 2k+ player game next year.

Sayad

I'm not sure what does this have to do with what I said! It will happen eventually, EVO isn't dropping it on SFV's first year though is what I'm saying.

And there's not much to compare between 3s and 4, how much was 3s getting before 4 came out?

Asd202

Won't happen. Both SF IV and V will be at EVO next year.

Which is yet another reason why it would be insane to try and run another 2k+ player game next year.

so now 2000 people will play it instead of everyone immediately dropping it for 5? :p

I wouldn't mind seeing 4 get cut in order to force people to devote 100% attention to 5 (assuming it is really good), but I just don't see 4 dying immediately and can see situations where 4 would be kept at Evo.

anyway, they're focusing on making this Evo awesome right now and we can take anything they say as tentative regarding next Evo. A lot could change in a year.

Sayad

I don't know man, Mr Wizard has done crazier things...

Like UMVC3 2nd last at EVO and Smash 4 finals on Saturday morning.
If SFIV instantly die with SFV release, they'd at least have it one last time. Not to mention, EVO 2016's line up will be announced before SFV's release, that would mean dropping their most popular game for an unreleased game. I'd say that's way crazier than preferential treatment for a game they love.

Revven

Also, they've ran two Street Fighter games in previous years before with SFxT -- of course, you may argue that doesn't count but it still has Street Fighter characters using the same engine (or similar) to SFIV and they decided on running SFxT in 2012 before it even released as well. And I believe it had like 800 teams in 2012? 500+ entered in 2013, if I recall.

Smaller numbers but they still ran it and had it on main stage on Sunday in 2012....

Anth0ny

That is a side tourney and not a main game. Unlike both Smash 4 and Melee.

because like 15 people still have an actual interest in st

if super turbo still got 500+ entrant tourneys consistently with 30k+ viewers on streams then you're damn right it should be a main game

Xater

It was a main stage game in 2012. They had it on Sunday that year while still running SFIV.

And it isn't a sequel to Street Fighter so what? It's like saying there should be a Marvel tourney because clearly SF players should move to that. it has SF characters right? You might not like Smash 4 but it is a real sequel and should replace the old game.

I don't know why people berate Smash Melee for its solidarity. It's amazing.

In SFIV history, when they released the Arcade Edition version of the game, it was unanimously hated. So much that when Capcom released it for consoles, they allowed you to roll back to the previous version of Super Street Fighter IV. Despite everyone hating Hong Kong edition, despite everyone bragging about how Super was the best version, no one even considered using Capcom's option to roll back to the previous version. We just had to play the newest version, just because that's what you were supposed to do.

And it isn't a sequel to Street Fighter so what? It's like saying there should be a Marvel tourney because clearly SF players should move to that. it has SF characters right? You might not like Smash 4 but it is a real sequel and should replace the old game.

I'm tired of people saying this. Do you think Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is not meant to succeed for Tekken 6?

Evo staff made SFxT 2v2 for the sake of differentiating it from SF4. Involved the same players. Game didn't float in the community because of constant comparisons to SF4. Your criteria for true sequel is irrelevant. Because actual point being is that, no one should be ready and willing to play a game that they think is shit for the sake of it being new.

But I already know this is a waste of time because I'm talking to someone who's looking for a reason to exclude the 2nd and 3rd biggest games at Evo but is perfectly fine with there being two street fighter games, as long as one isn't a 'true sequel'.

I don't think he's trolling if sfv picks up with the players then it will be insnane to run another 2k+ entry game.just like sf2 was dropped for 3s and 3s was dropped for iv I see the same thing happening here.But they could pull a smash and have two different games but we will find out this time next year.

SF2 ran at EVO throughout SF3's entire run. SF3 ran once at EVO under SF4.

Skab

so now 2000 people will play it instead of everyone immediately dropping it for 5? :p

I'm not saying less people would play it. I'm saying it would be another big tourney on top of the several others that are already big.

Not to mention it would be one less slot for other games to get a chance at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom