• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-GameTrailers staff announce new project EasyAllies

They either have a lot of rich fans of a lot of fans without many financial responsibilities. I'm not saying this in a bitter way, but it just surprises me that some people put 25 or more dollars a month for stuff like this.

With GT Time, they produced the only gaming podcast that I liked. For me, no one else comes close. Same goes for their E3 coverage or game discussions with Just Played.

Stuff like this easily worth at least 10 bucks per month for me. Way more than some $60 AAA game release that no one needs to buy day 1 (to put things in perspective). If they put out more content I like, I'll up my pledge.

Hasney

I'd rather give them 20-25 dollars a month than spend it in one night on some drinks in a pub.

Well I mean, I'm a shareholder in a brewery/pub chain too for a sweet discount as well as just general benefits of owning shares that are on the up, so I can't really pick a side on that one....

jett

D-Member
EZA baby.

Also, the Twitch chat was almost unreadable for a little bit there as people subscribed like mad as soon as the link came up.

onesheet.jpg

farisr

I wonder if they are contemplating on using the Youtube Streams, I cannot check twitch on my work, but youtube is fine.
If they have to choose between the two (which I think they might due to streaming exclusivity clauses) twitch is the better option for them financially.

So is there any news on a Final Bosman show?
yep. it's coming regardless of funding

It sounds like he might actually be doing that now, but just unaffiliated with the funding.

b140a0cb1cad9ab3c3747ac4a01a5eb9.png

This has been stated multiple times at this point, and really needs to be added to the OP, but Kyle will be doing a more casual show, regardless of the Patreon results, and it will be hosted by the EZA youtube channel.

COMMAS!

EZA is weird since my gut reaction to pronounce it is "Eee-ZED-A" but I'm assuming I'll get use to it eventually.
Easy Allies though is a fine name.

xrnzaaas

It seems to me like they didn't think this through. It's very unlikely that they'll be able to pay the bills for more than a few months thanks to the money from the supporters, even if most (if not all) of them will find stable jobs and treat this as a hobby (this may on the other hand influence the quality of their projects).

Or the rewards... "You will become an official producer of the Easy Allies podcast. Your name will be included in the credits of the show and Brandon will mention you, by name, at the end of one episode a month. You’ll also qualify for all earlier rewards." well, he'll soon have 200 people to mention.

Anyway good luck. It'll be interesting to see if this picks up.

GlamFM

Banned
It seems to me like they didn't think this through. It's very unlikely that they'll be able to pay the bills for more than a few months thanks to the money from the supporters, even if most (if not all) of them will find stable jobs and treat this as a hobby (this may on the other hand influence the quality of their projects).

Or the rewards... "You will become an official producer of the Easy Allies podcast. Your name will be included in the credits of the show and Brandon will mention you, by name, at the end of one episode a month. You’ll also qualify for all earlier rewards." well, he'll soon have 200 people to mention.

Anyway good luck. It'll be interesting to see if this picks up.

Maybe you didn´t read through...

Easy Allies does not employ any of us full time, yet. But its size and reach is completely up to you. If you remember the type of stuff we used to produce, you can get a good idea of what we’ll be capable of at each milestone we reach. Thank you for stopping by, and we hope you’ll consider becoming an Easy Ally.

They either have a lot of rich fans of a lot of fans without many financial responsibilities. I'm not saying this in a bitter way, but it just surprises me that some people put 25 or more dollars a month for stuff like this.
It's not so much that as it is what people do with their time.

I don't have a ton of free time, and what time I do have is pretty much split between playing games, watching game related content (which mostly consisted of GT before it closed), Netflix, and NHL Gamecenter.

I pay for 1/4 of a Netflix sub, 1/4 of an internet bill (which comes with Gamecenter), my phone, sporadic game purchases, and rent/necessities. I would be more apprehensive if my time were divided around a greater number of things but, as it is, spending $20 a month on something that constitutes roughly a third of the entertainment I consume is fine by me.

It's just a matter of what kind of value you place on it.

Naythan

I went in at $20 with the idea of eventually rolling back to $10 or $15 a few months in once they get on their feet and everything is in working order.

nib95

Banned
Just a quick question, I'm about to back them on Patreon, but do I also have to do a Twitch subscription as well to get to watch their Twitch videos? Or is a Patreon one enough, with Twitch videos simply being free to view to everyone?

Hasney

Just a quick question, I'm about to back them on Patreon, but do I also have to do a Twitch subscription as well to get to watch their Twitch videos? Or is a Patreon one enough, with Twitch videos simply being free to view to everyone?

Twitch subscriptions will probably just get you some custom emotes at some point, Patreon shall do! You can watch all the streams without a sub.

wiibomb

Just a quick question, I want to back them on Patreon, but do I also have to do a Twitch subscription as well to get their Twitch videos? Or is a Patreon one enough, with Twitch videos simply being free to view for everyone?

AFAIK, everything will be free of view, but with patreon you get some perks, and twitch is more of another different thing.

you don't need to be a twitch subscriptor to get on the patreon support.

nib95

Banned
Twitch subscriptions will probably just get you some custom emotes at some point, Patreon shall do! You can watch all the streams without a sub.

AFAIK, everything will be free of view, but with patreon you get some perks, and twitch is more of another different thing.

you don't need to be a twitch subscriptor to get on the patreon support.

Ok awesome, I'll just stick to Patreon then.

Volotaire

Can anyone answer this?

If KF would split these monthly 60k to 5 people thats like 12k per person. Thats little?

What they could do is employ 1 or two people full time, so an estimate of 40 - 50k each. This could be Brandon + 1 video editor (i.e. Ian) Then they could scale down the part time wages relative to an indicator, such as hours worked. This could be 10 - 20k for each subsequent employee. Given there are 7 (or perhaps 8 when Damiani comes in) this could mean (80 -100 k) + (40 - 80k). This is only employee wages. You must then add in many variable costs such as rent, marginal utility bills of using someone's house as a studio, video game costs, capital costs such as video equipment and hardware, expo costs to E3 and other events, much more.

They may be willing to trade off wages for the first year in the expectation they make more next year (because of the work - leisure - freedom tradeoff) or amy be willing to smooth some of their capital expenditure.

The high wage costs are guesstimates accounting for years of expereince, LA living expenses relative to other cities and hours worked.

The expectation of higher income in the future, however, may be partly eliminated by the uncertain nature of Patreon long term financial support. it can be very volatile.

El-Suave

Where/how does one subscribe to Twitch? I'm only using it via the Twitch app and I've never seen it or an option to donate on the few streams I've watched. I only know about Twitch donations from replays on Youtube lol.

Top Bottom