• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-GameTrailers staff announce new project EasyAllies

I should not have gotten as emotional as I did watching that god damn trailer. They got some sorcerer directing that thing. I'm so glad they're sticking together.

Couldn't agree more with you! That part where Brandon starts to review the new Avengers trailer and turns to his dog....man! Good work that! Pure passion that!

farisr

Kind of an odd time to announce it actually. I think the initial reveal is really important and while I'm sure it'll be talked about for a while I can't help but wonder if it would have been better to drop this bomb in the middle of the day

Then again, I'm sure they considered this and there's probably way smarter people than I involved
Dropping the news like this actually lets the word of mouth spread and the news build up over time, and they have a 12 hour livestream planned for the middle of the day anyways which is probably the best thing they could do for visibility.

LiK

Other gaming sites and personalities are tweeting about it so hopefully more exposure. This is a good start. Hope it goes into KindaFunny or Jim Sterling territory before they need to find other funding methods,

Dropping the news like this actually lets the word of mouth spread and the news build up over time, and they have a 12 hour livestream planned for the middle of the day anyways which is probably the best thing they could do for visibility.

You can also bet that most of the gaming news sites will pick this news up in the morning and broadcast it to the world, so there is that advantage as well....

So: just passed the 5k mark (and their goal is $6k/month). Damn! Wonder what will happen to the marker if it passes the $6k mark before the morning?

Hurrah! Tossed some cash their way, missed those charismatic yanks so! Really hope they can do the full E3 coverage this year too, it just wouldn't be the same without them.

Them doing a second podcast sounds awesome too, hope that happens.

farisr

So: just passed the 5k mark (and their goal is $6k/month). Damn! Wonder what will happen to the marker if it passes the $6k mark before the morning?
That's not their final goal. On patreon, once a goal is met, it moves onto the next goal.
They have goals up to $50,000 setup:

Subscriber Song - $200 per month
The New Couch - $800 per month
Production Equipment - $1,000 per month
A Respectable Gaming PC - $2,000 per month
Mike Huber’s New Show - $4,000 per month
The Return of our D & D Adventure - $6,000 per month
Ian Hinck’s New Show - $8,000 per month
A Second Podcast - $10,000 per month
Reviews Reborn - $15,000 per month
Michael Damiani’s New Show - $20,000 per month
The Return of Retrospectives - $30,000 per month
A New Stage - $50,000 per month

Hubble

My favorite gaming programs I been following consistently lately before the shutdown but ah, EasyAllies is just such a terrible name. It is horrible. I cant get over it. I thought KindaFunnyGames was bad.

Edit: The name should be gaming related at least.

LiK

My favorite gaming programs I been following consistently lately before the shutdown but ah, EasyAllies is just such a terrible name. It is horrible. I cant get over it. I thought KindaFunnyGames was bad.

EasyAllies rolls off the tongue at least.

man who gives a shit about the name really. the names of shows have been dumb for awhile now

M3z_

How many people are involved in this? The Kotaku post shows 7 and that's insane. What kind of startup personality driven video group thinks they can support 7 salaries? Giant Bomb has 8 and they are approaching 10 years old and owned by a large corporation.

Maybe it will be a side passion project for some % of those involved, but it's hard to imagine the sort of youtube homegrown thing being lucrative enough on one channel to support so many people.

wapplew

So new podcast call Easy Allies pod cast, how original.

How many people are involved in this? The Kotaku post shows 7 and that's insane. What kind of startup personality driven video group thinks they can support 7 salaries? Giant Bomb has 8 and they are approaching 10 years old and owned by a large corporation.

Maybe it will be a side passion project for some % of those involved, but it's hard to imagine the sort of youtube homegrown thing being lucrative enough on one channel to support so many people.

It is a side project. At least at the beginning.

Well they're already at $5,000+ per month from Patreon alone. Very soon they'll be able to sustain themselves from Easy Allies alone I predict.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...anyone have guesses for how high this Patreon will eventually reach? I'm guessing that, after the initial week or month of growth, it'll have hit 10k for sure and 15k probably. I'm a little uncertain about 20k, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Does anyone have any idea of what "A New Stage" is supposed to mean? Are they saying they'll change where they film or that the endeavor (given that it's the last goal) will reach a new level? If it's the former, I guess the money is just going towards renting out a space.

Well they're already at $5,000+ per month from Patreon alone. Very soon they'll be able to sustain themselves from Easy Allies alone I predict.

I think you're being a bit optimistic. Even ignoring fees, this would have to pay for 7 people to live in LA and cover all their game- and production-related expenses. Maybe if they hit their final goal and go beyond it that's easy to imagine, but 5k*12 is quite far away from what I see as enough to be sustainable. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

The announcement said it is a part time thing for everyone. It will be a sode project unless it can grow large enough to support fullime salaries.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wish I had the time to listen to their podcasts but the bombcasts already eat all my podcast time.
I it for 5$, possibly 10 later on depending on how certain things work out for me.

So new podcast call Easy Allies pod cast, how original.
Should have called it #$#^"$₩€/÷/&(£=÷
Now that would be original!

Evo X

Hmm...anyone have guesses for how high this Patreon will eventually reach? I'm guessing that, after the initial week or month of growth, it'll have hit 10k for sure and 15k probably. I'm a little uncertain about 20k, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

It's only been 3 hours in the middle of the night and it's already at $6K. Forget a month, I think it will easily get to your $10-15K prediction by the end of the day.

Does anyone have any idea of what "A New Stage" is supposed to mean? Are they saying they'll change where they film or that the endeavor (given that it's the last goal) will reach a new level? If it's the former, I guess the money is just going towards renting out a space.
a new studio

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's still depressing to me that those guys had no real success on Youtube while videos of people watching other videos get 100.000+ views. That's just fucked up.

LiK

It's still depressing to me that those guys had no real success on Youtube while videos of people watching other videos get 100.000+ views. That's just fucked up.

I think they got in too late and there was a split with the audience between YT and GT sites. You can't even find all the videos they did on YouTube.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Pledged, excited to see them coming back in a format in which even small contributions from thousands and thousands of fans can keep running. Hopefully the Patreon keeps on growing.

The boys are back in town! I wish nothing but success for them with this new endeavour.

No Matt Blair though. Not a single mention of him anywhere. Seems like quite an omission after everybody else came back.

The boys are back in town! I wish nothing but success for them with this new endeavour.

No Matt Blair though. Not a single mention of him anywhere. Seems like quite an omission after everybody else came back.

Kyle dropped on the twitch chat and said that Matt has other plans (he said other "purposes", carreer switch?) but that he has been super supportive during this time of transition.

DrFurbs

Can someone explain how this model works. I mean I understand there will be costs but if it uploaded to YouTube isn't that free?

What's all this money for? I genuinely have no idea how this works.

luchadork

Can someone explain how this model works. I mean I understand there will be costs but if it uploaded to YouTube isn't that free?

I think there will be a weekly podcast which is free. If you patreon, you get it a few days early. They will also be streaming on twitch for free. But you can become a sub.

The patreon is raising money for further 'podcasts/shows' which need to be produced.

LiK

The tiers explain themselves (equipment/projects) and they need to make a living from this so of course they need money. They had a salary before, now they need to rely on Patreon and other sources of funding to live. Can't do this stuff for free like kids in their basements.

I disagree. The names of the shows like Huber Hype, GT Time, Mandatory Update, and all of them were really good. GameTrailers was a good name.
I wasn't talking about those shows in particular, just podcasts in general.I don't see anything particularly great about the ones you listed though
I still say who gives a shit what the name is it's like complaing about the name of a potato chip that you like

Top Bottom