• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[eXas1s] There are 6 big Xbox titles currently planned for PlayStation 5

MayauMiao

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Halo for either system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.
Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel Halo for PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Tsaki

Since they constantly post on ResetEra, I went ahead and scraped up recent posts by Shinobi602 and NateDrake on the subject. I'll put them in spoiler so it doesn't hog everyone's screen.

ulf31dM.jpeg

86NXaWA.jpeg

PgBkOGY.jpeg

7tZBRhx.jpeg

qdXaGZl.jpeg

1d3IwIj.jpeg

z4iqjdY.jpeg

5dYXKI5.jpeg

tsOms6b.jpeg

m1h2daZ.jpeg

VooCm3F.jpeg

7OMbhn8.jpeg

7KKGYkL.jpeg

4ZkPMcn.jpeg

DOOM is not one of the 6 games Nate is talking about and I'd guess that he doesn't include Call of Duty either.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Well, I hope something big is released on PS5 by the end of the year. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. We have had plenty of rumors, speculation, and "considering" going on, but I want to see something concrete materialize - by which I mean, I want to see the announcement of a big, recent Xbox exclusive getting ported to the PS5. For example Starfield, Indiana Jones, Avowed, the next Doom, Halo, or Gears (although I doubt the latter will come until later). I wouldn't consider Age of Empires or Mythology to qualify, as they are more PC-centric. Hellblade might count, not sure.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
Why would Doom be a big deal? Doom currently is and has always been multiplatform. I don't think anybody expected the new Doom to be Xbox and PC only. I'd even expect a port on the new Nintendo console.

Ms bought bethesda to leverage thier exclusives. It's the whole reason Starfield and Indiana Jones are exclusive. Everyone expected the new doom to be exclusive.
Moving away from that would be a total shift in that thinking, and would be a big deal.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Ms bought bethesda to leverage thier exclusives. It's the whole reason Starfield and Indiana Jones are exclusive. Everyone expected the new doom to be exclusive.
Moving away from that would be a total shift in that thinking, and would be a big deal.

Not really. I think it was pretty clear that some of these IPs would remain multiplatform. Considering Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal were popular on Switch and PlayStation, I didn't think anybody would be shocked to learn the next Doom game is also multiplatform.

The remaster of Quake 2 was put on Playstation and Switch and nobody was shocked with that. Same with Doom.

THE DUCK

Banned

Not really. I think it was pretty clear that some of these IPs would remain multiplatform. Considering Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal were popular on Switch and PlayStation, I didn't think anybody would be shocked to learn the next Doom game is also multiplatform.

The remaster of Quake 2 was put on Playstation and Switch and nobody was shocked with that. Same with Doom.

That was not clear at all. They literally took what they thought would be thier biggest ip in years from bethesda in the form of Starfeild and made it exclusive. Nothing about that screams other games will be multiplatform, prior games being multiplatform before ms boughtnthem means nothing. Starfield was planned multiplatform and scrapped.

Quake 2 like 8 people cared about, it's an ancient game that just makes sense to just leave multiplatform.

Go ahead, take a poll on how my people thought bethesda games would remain multiplatform once ms acquired them.
I mean the whole point was to increase exclusives, how exactly do you do that if you don't take the most popular games and make them exclusive?

IDKFA

Quake 2 like 8 people cared about, it's an ancient game that just makes sense to just leave multiplatform.

And we're done here.

I can't debate somebody who lacks gaming knowledge and has terrible taste.

Good day to you, sir/duck.

Halo would be great, it really deserves more players. The main campaign is actually really good, and the multiplayer is top tier at this point. If it wouldn't have launched with so few levels and modes in multiplayer I think it would have done really well initially. If Xbox is gonna go multi-platform they really aught to start with games like Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves that could always use an influx of players......

Edit: I also think they should get MCC over to PS5, I'm pretty sure they would decent numbers with that. Those truly are the definitive versions of most of those games, and the multiplayer is super polished.

Last edited:

It is shocking because Phil has emails clearly stating all future titles will be exclusive. Even shocking some of the other MS execs when he emailed them that.

THE DUCK

Banned
And we're done here.

I can't debate somebody who lacks gaming knowledge and has terrible taste.

Good day to you, sir/duck.

Lol, I'm not the one in denial about why ms purchased bethesda. (Hint, at the time, it wasn't to just to grow software sales)

As to quake 2, its a $10 remaster on day one, the price alone tells you how much demand there was for this product. There is a whopping 123 players playing it now, and it's all time peak is 2700 people. Like I said, nobody cared.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That was not clear at all. They literally took what they thought would be thier biggest ip in years from bethesda in the form of Starfeild and made it exclusive. Nothing about that screams other games will be multiplatform, prior games being multiplatform before ms boughtnthem means nothing. Starfield was planned multiplatform and scrapped.

Go ahead, take a poll on how my people thought bethesda games would remain multiplatform once ms acquired them.
I mean the whole point was to increase exclusives, how exactly do you do that if you don't take the most popular games and make them exclusive?
Yea, it was pretty clear. They said multiple times that if it was an existing IP that was multiplatform then it would likely stay that way. New IP would be on a case by case basis such as Starfield. So no, Doom being on PS5 should not be considered to be in any way a shift.

If Halo makes its way au multiplat, it’s 100% joever. That’s a PR nightmare for their brand that will never go away after that.
Not as big of a PR nightmare as you'd think. Halo doesn't have the same clout it did when Bungie was involved. Bringing the original trilogy to a new audience could be the shot in the arm Halo desperately needs.

Astray

Has anyone noticed, that at every juncture that more Xbox games are announced for Pla..... other platforms, there is always this supporting narrative of how this is all that is planned or that is coming... and the other (likely new) stuff will not be coming.

Then a little later, the new stuff is announced to be coming, along with the usual this is all that is coming talk, and announcement of new stuff that will not be coming.

Or is this pattern only in my head.
Pattern does exist and it's basic boiled frog.

They can't just come out and say "hey we're releasing everything on PS5 and NS2", that would piss off retailers who have piles of Xboxes on shelves. So they need to do this slow dance that you described above.

IDKFA

Lol, I'm not the one in denial about why ms purchased bethesda. (Hint, at the time, it wasn't to just to grow software sales)

As to quake 2, its a $10 remaster on day one, the price alone tells you how much demand there was for this product. There is a whopping 123 players playing it now, and it's all time peak is 2700 people. Like I said, nobody cared.

Ah, moving the goalposts I see. Because it was value for money it had to be multiplatform?

Quake 2 remaster is still a Bethesda title released under Microsoft's ownership. By your logic we should be in a state of shock 🫨

I rest my case

Astray

Also eases in their rabid zealots they curated over the past 10+ years online.
I honestly think they don't care anymore about the fans.

What's the point of having Tom Warren and their other lemmings leak this shit right before what was a very anticipated showcase? It's insanity.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
Yea, it was pretty clear. They said multiple times that if it was an existing IP that was multiplatform then it would likely stay that way. New IP would be on a case by case basis such as Starfield. So no, Doom being on PS5 should not be considered to be in any way a shift.

You mean the double talk they gave to the FTC to get it approved? You do realize they are dancing around saying exclusive for a long time to get the deal done, right?

Yep, definately a multiplatform future for bethesda......

"The news comes up in a section about Bethesda, which officially joined Microsoft in March. Starfield, Bethesda’s upcoming sci-fi game, has already been confirmed to be an Xbox and PC exclusive, and “Spencer says he sees the same for The Elder Scrolls VI,” according to GQ"

So even in 2021 they are talking about 2 of the 3 biggest bethesda franchises being xbox exclusive. That's not indications that Doom will be multiplatform, that instead points to more exclusives.

I'm not alone in this thinking.
"Leveraging IP exclusivity was clearly a major motivating factor for the acquisition, as showcased by the Xbox-only console release of Bethesda's Starfield."

It's a huge shift if Doom is multiplatform at this point in in the Xbox landscape.
Making it exclusive drives console sales for xbox. Not making it exclusive says you have moved on to a new model. If Doom is not exclusive, you will definately see all the other xbox games go multiplatform. May take a year or 2, but the writing will be on the wall.

THE DUCK

Banned
Ah, moving the goalposts I see. Because it was value for money it had to be multiplatform?

Quake 2 remaster is still a Bethesda title released under Microsoft's ownership. By your logic we should be in a state of shock 🫨

I rest my case

No goalposts moved at all, 95% of the board knows that Bethesda was purchased for exclusive software to drive Xbox sales. Lack of sales may change that plan going foward, but 100% that was the intent and the execution after buying them. (Starfeild and Indiana Jones, and even Redfall, they thought it would be big)

So what, they allowed an existing old ancient game to stay multiplatform? That's not divergent from anything they have done with other companies they have purchased (Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch, Minecraft, etc), and doesn't in any way shape or form indicate a flood release of critical AAA titles to the competition. You case is rested on nothing.

Humdinger

Gold Member
It's a huge shift if Doom is multiplatform at this point in in the Xbox landscape.
Making it exclusive drives console sales for xbox. Not making it exclusive says you have moved on to a new model. If Doom is not exclusive, you will definately see all the other xbox games go multiplatform. May take a year or 2, but the writing will be on the wall.

I tend to agree that having the next Doom appear on PS5 would be a signal that other big MS-acquired franchises are to come. It constitutes the "other shoe dropping," so to speak, at least in my book. Granted, it wouldn't be nearly as surprising as having Halo or Gears appear on PS5.

I don't remember any real clarity on whether these sorts of games (established multiplat titles) would remain multiplatform or not. Elder Scrolls would fall in that camp, and as an Elder Scrolls fan, I paid some attention to that, and all I remember was uncertainty about whether it would be MS exclusive or not. There was a lot of speculation going both ways. There was some foggy PR talk from Phil, but not many people trusted it. What did seem clear was that MS was buying up huge studios with the intention of boosting GamePass subs. Sending those games to other platforms kind of defeats the purpose.

Now that a lot of time is passed and we've seen other Xbox exclusives sent to PS5, sending the next Doom to PS5 would be less surprising than a year ago. But still, I think it would be a significant message that more of the same are coming (e.g., with regard to Elder Scrolls, for instance).

SHA

Not as big of a PR nightmare as you'd think. Halo doesn't have the same clout it did when Bungie was involved. Bringing the original trilogy to a new audience could be the shot in the arm Halo desperately needs.
Not just Bungie that made halo successful, it's cause the PS2 is filled with Js, lots of Js, and there was no better coping from js than playing western games on Xbox, it was just a relief, og Xbox's owners share the same opinion unfortunately.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why would Doom be a big deal? Doom currently is and has always been multiplatform. I don't think anybody expected the new Doom to be Xbox and PC only. I'd even expect a port on the new Nintendo console.
Doom in fact was one of the first titles mentioned as not being exclusive. It's the least surprising multiplat at this point.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No, MS stated that IPs previously available on previous consoles would stay multiplat. Starfield and Redfall are two new IPs and thus didn't fall into that category.

Quake 2, Quake 1 were re-released on PS.

Not that I really truly believe anything MS/Xbox actually says, but saying "everyone expected the new Doom to be exclusive" is a bit of nonsense. Of course, it didn't really get talked about much when Bethesda was acquired since Doom Eternal had just been released and a new Doom game was quite a ways off.

Having said that, if Gamepass has been a runaway success I would have believed that Phil would have had the leverage to make Doom Year Zero exclusive.

Ity was clear from leaked emails that the plan was "to spend Sony out of business"

The problem was that you can only spend so much, you have to eventually make money.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I've seen people wanting the next Doom, Starfield, Indiana Jones, Forza Horizon 5, etc. Phil has been in charge for 10+ years. Halo, Gears and Forza all came out in those years. Plus, Sea of Thieves is doing great on PS5.

Yeah, seeing how bad they're failing I can see it. Phil has left his mark.

If you think games weren't in production when Phil took over either by buying or previously, then that's on you. You can tell when Phil is involved. The game bombs and it scores around a 6/10.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, seeing how bad they're failing I can see it. Phil has left his mark.

If you think games weren't in production when Phil took over either by buying or previously, then that's on you. You can tell when Phil is involved. The game bombs and it scores around a 6/10.

Games were in production before Phil took over so he's not responsible.. but if they score low it's because Phil is involved.

Confused The Interview GIF

EruditeHobo

Wouldn't even check out a Halo demo on PS5... let alone buy the full game. No thanks.

Let me know if Indy makes the jump, Phil! thx.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Games were in production before Phil took over so he's not responsible.. but if they score low it's because Phil is involved.

Confused The Interview GIF
Yes, that can happen. For example, do you think Phil is responsible for say Modern Warfare III or the current one?

But within that 10 years, there are games Phil is responsible for. Halo Infinite for example.

Do you need me to explain development times too?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, that can happen. For example, do you think Phil is responsible for say Modern Warfare III or the current one?

But within that 10 years, there are games Phil is responsible for. Halo Infinite for example.

Do you need me to explain development times too?

I don't even know the point you're trying to make. MW3 was panned critically, it's metascore is in the 50's. Halo Infinite's metascore is 87.

I'm just pointing out the fallacy of your post. Some of the recent games that reviewed poorly, like Redfall, were also in development before Phil, so going by your logic that ain't on Phil either.

Pelao

Crazy how Xbox didn't get to have a single exclusive Doom.
That was the franchise that I felt sucked the most that PS5-only gamers would miss out on. Good thing that's not the case.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I feel like both sides are dealing with maximum copium.

Sony fanboys wanting Xbox games and Xbox fanboys in denial about Microsoft wanting to one day go full third party and maximize profits.

That’s right, I’m both sides’ing this bitch. Fuck you!

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

No, MS stated that IPs previously available on previous consoles would stay multiplat. Starfield and Redfall are two new IPs and thus didn't fall into that category.

Quake 2, Quake 1 were re-released on PS.

Not that I really truly believe anything MS/Xbox actually says, but saying "everyone expected the new Doom to be exclusive" is a bit of nonsense. Of course, it didn't really get talked about much when Bethesda was acquired since Doom Eternal had just been released and a new Doom game was quite a ways off.

Having said that, if Gamepass has been a runaway success I would have believed that Phil would have had the leverage to make Doom Year Zero exclusive.

Ity was clear from leaked emails that the plan was "to spend Sony out of business"

The problem was that you can only spend so much, you have to eventually make money.
This sums all this up perfectly.

If GP and by extension, Xbox were as successful as I am sure Xbox would have wanted, none of this growth and third-party nonsense would happen at all. And its really that simple. But people are really sipping that MS for the gamers nonsense. I mentioned this years ago, that day one gamepass, was necessary on Xbox because their IPs were barely even pushing up to 5M in sales on their platform. So they obviously couldn't continue using them as hardware sales drivers and thus it made sense to use them as a gamepass driver, which was them shifting their focus from Xbox hardware to gamepass subs.

Gamepass PC, was the real final nail in that coffin... their multiplatform push today, is just a byproduct of all that. And not something that would be happening at al if GP actually was showing some proper growth.

As it stands, the simple reality of Xbox, is that considering all they have spent, their console/gamepass install base is not enough to sustain their platform.

ElRenoRaven

I swear to god as my witness I don't care what it is but anything Halo is being bought for probably the 20th time by me on PS5. Not even gonna lie.

Never forget what Phil Spencer said

JiOphL1.jpeg

One of the biggest disappointments this gen for me is not just the fact that Infinites campaign was lacking in content, story, environments, and gameplay diversity but that MS failed to stick to their original plans and try to save their biggest IP with a story expansion!

Infinite could've been good with an expansion and overhaul. It needed story, settlements, side missions and most importantly new environments. This "campaign" was tragically undercooked and to this day i don't know how it was actually looked at positively at launch. It was more like a 3 hour demo or proof of concept that was padded out with repetitive enemy "bases" and 2 hour long forerunner hallways at the beginning and end of the game.

How MS didn't try to save face and save Halo's reputation with an expansion or a Halo Infinite 2.0 update I'll also never understand. It's almost like the game was so forgettable there was no pressure on MS to fix anything . .very sad situation as now nobody knows a thing about the future of Halo

A remake of Halo 1 kinda makes sense but who really wants that? I don't. We're still waiting for a proper Halo game from this company that is a successor to Halo 5 (while not great at least they tried).

Fredrik

This sums all this up perfectly.

If GP and by extension, Xbox were as successful as I am sure Xbox would have wanted, none of this growth and third-party nonsense would happen at all. And its really that simple. But people are really sipping that MS for the gamers nonsense. I mentioned this years ago, that day one gamepass, was necessary on Xbox because their IPs were barely even pushing up to 5M in sales on their platform. So they obviously couldn't continue using them as hardware sales drivers and thus it made sense to use them as a gamepass driver, which was them shifting their focus from Xbox hardware to gamepass subs.

Gamepass PC, was the real final nail in that coffin... their multiplatform push today, is just a byproduct of all that. And not something that would be happening at al if GP actually was showing some proper growth.

As it stands, the simple reality of Xbox, is that considering all they have spent, their console/gamepass install base is not enough to sustain their platform.
I’m not even interested in analyzing the reason for the downfall, I’m just surprised that a trillion dollar corporation supposedly can’t afford to keep their platform alive. From my perspective Microsoft is just plain dumb. They’re doing all the wrong moves, over and over.
Nintendo, if in a similar bad spot, would’ve done a Wii/Switch reset.

Top Bottom