• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Yeah you right. Looks much worse than GTAV and TLOU.
image.php

Try opening your eyes more.

edit: Fully expecting an avatar quote of my own.

packy34

For a super low $14.99.

Why do people keep bringing up paid mods like it's some sort of foregone conclusion? They existed in Skyrim for less than 24 hours. Introducing paid mods (at least in the same way they tried it before) will kill the modding community and the overall longevity of the game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
wow. i don't remember gta v looking that bad on PS3. sure games look better in motion than a single screenshoot but that really is something.
Most people have fond memories of what visuals on last gen looked like, most people should actually go back and play on their older consoles to get a good sense of how games performed and looked.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do people keep bringing up paid mods like it's some sort of foregone conclusion? They existed in Skyrim for less than 24 hours. Introducing paid mods (at least in the same way they tried it before) will kill the modding community and the overall longevity of the game.

It was a joke comment for a joke comment. ;)

I think the issue here is that. For some reason this was a thing at all.

v4WV6QH.jpg

I like this shot, the framing in third person looks nice, might actually play a significant portion of the game in third person this time.

Great shot

From all the media I have seen so far... the biggest leaps that Bethesda has made are most prominent outside and in the daylight

Its clear that the level of detail in all of the objects they created are wildly inconsistent... I believe that the be why there are so many criticisms

When you bump up the resolution you also need to add detail to everything in a way that everything still fits nicely together. Its too easy to pick out what looks good and what doesnt

Think about the Original Dark Souls. Remember how stunned we were to see just HOW much detail was hidden when the mods bumped everything up? You have to put that level of craft in everything in order for it to shine when trying to make graphical leaps

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Question, do people who think this looks bad think Halo 5 looks bad?

I think the fact that there is so much dithering and sharp geometry in 2015, as well as 30fps animations on characters in multiplayer, once can argue it.

However, Halo is also rocking a silky 60fps, where something like this practically no modern visual tech is only 30fps. (But two different games, and two different genre's, goals.)

It looks terrible. It's the post apocalypse, so that means it looks great.

It's no Witcher 3, but so long as I can build my own heavily modded guns in my personally designed house, the game could look 10x worse for all I care.
You have no idea how much those two features make the game for me.

Jobbs

Banned
v4WV6QH.jpg

I like this shot, the framing in third person looks nice, might actually play a significant portion of the game in third person this time.

I was thinking this, actually -- I find myself very curious about how well third person works. Each time it seems Bethesda promises a functioning third person mode (they did with Skyrim and I think FO3 but I'm not sure) and it never turns out to be very functional.

My suspicion is that third person is still janky and not real practical for actual gameplay, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

I really like the colors in the game and the human proportions and detail being much better is a welcome thing. I can't wait to see what the female characters look like in context. I'll definitely be rolling female. Fuck men and their gross penises!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You literally picked the worst possible screenshot from the bunch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-grand-theft-auto-5-face-off
I picked the first screenshot from the bunch, the game doesn't suddenly look like it's on par with ps4 titles and have great IQ in the other screens.
jpg.jpg

jpg.jpg

jpg.jpg

This is what GTAV on last gen looked like. This is what clothing and other materials looked like just a couple years ago. Shocking I know. Enough's enough with the hyperbole.

v4WV6QH.jpg

Yes exactly. This one looks fine. It probably doesn't look all that different from the footage as well. It just shows that the game definitely has its moments and I bet there will be plenty of them. It's just that some interiors can look incredibly simplistic and bland unfortunately. Also the NPC models don't look too good at all. A shame cause the protagonist character model sure looks like a big improvement. And I am not expecting the animations to be incredibly good either.

I picked the first screenshot from the bunch, the game doesn't suddenly look like it's on par with ps4 titles and have great IQ in the other screens.
jpg.jpg

jpg.jpg

jpg.jpg

This is what GTAV on last gen looked like.

Real time shadows render out more than 5 meters from the camera view. IMO, much more impressive than FO4.

Yes exactly. This one looks fine. It probably doesn't look all that different from the footage as well. It just shows that the game definitely has its moments and I bet there will be plenty of them. It's just that some interiors can look incredibly simplistic and bland unfortunately. Also the NPC models don't look too good at all. A shame cause the protagonist character model sure looks like a big improvement. And I am not expecting the animations to be incredibly good either.

Yup

Unfortunately the same level of detail was not applied to every little piece of the world... and they probably use tools to input assets here and there without actually designing them to the location (mugs, tables, furniture)

The issue being that some areas demand specific detail for pieces to fit or to make the area more immersive.

Its tough but i have yet to see an open world game that doesnt suffer from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom