• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Season Pass: $30, "we dont know what the actual DLC will be yet"

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Bethesda has always offered substantial DLC produced by a team working after they delivered the main game. $30 is less than most in the industry are asking and the money has almost zero chance of not being spent on at least two substantial expansions.

So what exactly is the problem here?

Well before they would produce content, and charge for it then...Pretty standard...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
To be fair, I highly doubt this is the time one will get "bit in the ass" as Bethesda expansions have been pretty good.

Personally I'm not touching this "season pass" but I don't think there's much risk for Fallout fans who do.

Maybe you consider Skyrim DLC good, for example. If that game had a Season Pass like this, what would you say to PS3 users who bought that "risk-free" Season Pass and had to deal with a game that barely worked?

Why the fuck would anyone subject themselves to stuff like this? There are literally no advantages at all for them. In what other industry do companies get away with selling content that isn't even imaginary, because they don't even exist as concrete thoughts?

I'm not even playing the "companies are greedy" card here because that's common sense - although this thread shows me that this industry's consumers don't have any of that. It's because of people who bend over to shit like this that things like Skyrim PS3, the Master Chief Collection, DriveClub's launch, etc. continue to happen over and over and over again.

We enable them.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hmm. I think I'll bite only because of their past DLC history leads me to believe it's worth it in the end, though the actual pitch is both really funny and incredibly depressing at the same time.

"Hey we'll do some stuff probably, give us 30 bucks and it's all yours. Just don't ask us what it is exactly just yet."

Feonix

GAF when a company announces what the DLC will be before the game is released: "OMG they cut content from the original game and sold it separately! Ugh this industry is awful"

GAF when a company announces they don't know what the DLC is yet because they're still working on the game: "OMG they don't even know what the DLC will be? Ugh this industry is awful"

Steroyd

It's not like this will be the only update to the season pass until one day the first piece of content launches. It's not even available for purchase now

True, but given how people are sick of this shit, it's a terrible first impression and reeks of putting the cart before the horse.

but it's okay when CDPR does it right guys

It's not even remotely the same thing. They have actually announced what they are going to do, after putting out a meaty ass game to begin with, on top of all the free DLC. Also on top of the fact that the game can be bought at $30 straight from them.

I've seriously lost all faith in them since Morrowind. Tribunal and Bloodmoon were meaty, awesome expansions that improved UI elements and gameplay, and added huge land masses and tons of content. They also had free add-ons!

They have never returned to this kind of goodwill development. Their games have to be debugged by the modding community and they just got smacked down from trying to monetize the modding community's work on top of that.

Shivering Isles (one of the best pieces of content they have ever produced) and Dragonborn say hello.

It's not even remotely the same thing. They have actually announced what they are going to do, after putting out a meaty ass game to begin with, on top of all the free DLC. Also on top of the fact that the game can be bought at $30 straight from them.

They actually hadn't put out The Witcher 3 before announcing their season pass and allowing consumers the option to purchase it.

That being said, they did go into some detail about its contents.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
lol that's a good one Bethesda your not going to get alot of people eager to buy a season pass if you yourself don't know what's going to be in it. If it's true that they haven't started production on DLC than you future season pass owners should expect BioShock Infinite levels of waiting between DLC packs to release.

Avalt

Will buy the "Game of the Year Edition" when its on a steam sale for $9.99. During the same sale the season pass probably will be on sale too... for $14.99.

Bethesda has a history of not giving more then 50% off their dlc, so I'm definitely waiting for the complete package this time around. (Might be a couple of years, oh well)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
you dont even have to pre order season passes i dont get why people do. they are normally avaliable well past the first and second part of the content.

When we buy season passes we usually don't know what we are buying anyway, them not knowing what they are selling seems perfectly appropriate.

I'm mostly indifferent to this. I'm not going to get it outright now, but Bethesda's DLCs have usually been good, and fairly substantial in my opinion. I look forward to seeing what's In it.

Interfectum

what's worse

" we charge you this much for stuff we didn't planned yet "

or

" we charge you this much for stuff we cutt from the game you bought "

or

"We currently have three big expansions (possibly more) mapped out and ready for development. We aren't giving many details yet as they could spoil the main game. Rest assured though these expansions will add new characters, tons of new quests, new building options for your town and a bunch of new surprises. We'll provide more details shortly after launch."

It's all about the delivery.

Slayven

I've seriously lost all faith in them since Morrowind. Tribunal and Bloodmoon were meaty, awesome expansions that improved UI elements and gameplay, and added huge land masses and tons of content. They also had free add-ons!

They have never returned to this kind of goodwill development. Their games have to be debugged by the modding community and they just got smacked down from trying to monetize the modding community's work on top of that.

Oh that is coming back, but instead of steam, they will just use that nice new website they were slobbering over at E3

GAF when a company announces what the DLC will be before the game is released: "OMG they cut content from the original game and sold it separately! Ugh this industry is awful"

GAF when a company announces they don't know what the DLC is yet because they're still working on the game: "OMG they don't even know what the DLC will be? Ugh this industry is awful"

The middle ground that's missing in your dichotomy is them choosing not to announce a season pass when they don't know what's going to be in the damn season pass yet. That's what people are pissed about.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I want to punch whoever created "season passes" in the face.

They have always been around. They were just called Expansion Packs and you had to wait for them because digital distribution wasn't a thing.

And if they announce what it was people would say it was cut from the game.

Absolutely that would be the conversation we would be having. The same tired conversation that always happens.

MegaMelon

Whilst I completely understand people's hatred of season passes, I'll probably end up getting it for Fallout 4. Personally, I know I'll be buying all the dlc for the game since I greatly enjoyed 3's and I also know I'll want to play them at launch. For me it's just saving some money.

And whilst people may say it's foolish to give money to Bethesda when you don't know wheat you're going to get....me knowing what's in store won't change the fact that I'll still be purchasing all the dlc. If anything, Bethesda gets less money then if I was to buy everything separately.

I guess what I'm saying is I completely understand people who don't like this, but there are also a lot of other people who will simply see this and see a way to save a little bit of money like me.

I want to punch whoever created "season passes" in the face.
What about expansions, or DLC in general? It can be done well, and deliver a satisfying amount of content. Just look at FO3 or New Vegas, I bought a few of them piecemeal when they came out and then down the line bought the GOTY editions that included everything. If any franchise has proven that their add-on content is worth $30, I'd say it's Fallout.

Now no one's making you buy it, but it simply being available for basically 25% off if you buy it early isn't the grave injustice that some of you make it out to be.

Alucrid

Banned
Bethesda has plenty of time to release a time line of their dlc plans. You're saying fallout 4 won't be a meaty ass game? Fallout 4 will also be receiving free updates which seem better than costumes, single quests and card images. CDPR isn't some gaming angel come down to protect your wallet from the greedy gaming industry. And let's be honest, they might say we'll do x, y and z, but it's still all blind faith in them

Hmm so the people who know they will buy it all anyway can get a discount and those who want to wait and see can... I don't get it. Its been said by many devs that Day 1 DLC tends to sell best, its why season passes exist. It allows them a head of time to know it will be work making more meaty DLC. Some pubs/devs take advantage of this and some don't. If you trust the company will deliver than buy it. If not, wait... I have enjoyed Fallout DLC in the past so I will buy it, maybe not instantly but if I enjoy the game, sure.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For those confused as to why they're announced prior to launch, they need to be so that GameStop can sell them to consumers on launch day.

GameStop sells huge amounts of season passes up front, and encouraged every publisher to have one due to this. It's worked out great for everyone, which is why they all do it.

Well that was a matter of time.
What about expansions, or DLC in general? It can be done well, and deliver a satisfying amount of content. Just look at FO3 or New Vegas, I bought a few of them piecemeal when they came out and then down the line bought the GOTY editions that included everything. If any franchise has proven that their add-on content is worth $30, I'd say it's Fallout.

Now no one's making you buy it, but it simply being available for basically 25% off if you buy it early isn't the grave injustice that some of you make it out to be.

Because paying for something that hasn't been made yet is dumb. It's not a smart choice whether you like to think it is or not. Doesn't matter if you bought the previous games DLC, you're still paying for content that hasn't been made. Season Passes are completely stupid and NEVER worth the money.

When we buy season passes we usually don't know what we are buying anyway, them not knowing what they are selling seems perfectly appropriate.

Well, they're not Evolution.

iQU4sxb.jpg

Simo

The wording is hilarious in that PR. "Buy our season pass for DLC we don't even know what we're doing yet!"

"Also we can tell you that even though we have no ideas for DLC, if you buy our season pass for $30 it's totally a steal because the DLC we haven't thought of yet would totally be worth $40 and not $30!"

What the fuck. LOL

Xater

For those confused as to why they're announced prior to launch, they need to be so that GameStop can sell them to consumers on launch day.

GameStop sells huge amounts of season passes up front, and encouraged every publisher to have one due to this. It's worked out great for everyone, which is why they all do it.

I know why they do it, doesn't change that this practice is totally disgusting.

Since I'm not sure I'd play all the DLC anyway, I'll pass on the season pass, as usual.

It does seem odd to offer it with no details of what it will (or might) include.

Bethesda has plenty of time to release a time line of their dlc plans. You're saying fallout 4 won't be a meaty ass game? Fallout 4 will also be receiving free updates which seem better than costumes, single quests and card images. CDPR isn't some gaming angel come down to protect your wallet from the greedy gaming industry. And let's be honest, they might say we'll do x, y and z, but it's still all blind faith in them

Where have they said this?

SpaceHorror

Yeah, if you can hold off for not playing it for a year, you can bet they will release the game with all addons for a cheap price. I'm guessing more like $19.99 though.

Wut.

No. Bethesda games with all the DLC usually cost full price or a bit below when they first come out. Fallout 3 came out in 2008 and the new MSRP right now is $19.99 for the disc with all DLC.

Either way, if you can wait for the GOTY edition you'll still save.

As for the topic on hand, eh whatever. I'm all for season passes, I just think they should go on sale when the first batch of paid DLC is announced. However, if you know you are going to buy it all anyway and want to throw down the cash now, again eh whatever. That's your business.

Warxard

Banned
Where have they said this?

Same article.

http://bethesda.net/?utm_source=twi...ame/fallout-4-launch-and-beyond/2015/09/08/22

Regular Updates

We'll be doing regular free updates to the game, and like Skyrim, these will come with not just fixes, but new features. For Skyrim we added things like mounted combat, legendary mode, kill cams, visual enhancements and more. We’ll work with all of you to figure out what new things you’d love to see added to Fallout 4, whether they are small tweaks or new features.

Why don't you list me some good DLC then?

Is this a serious question?

Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Killer Instinct, Shadowrun Returns, Splatoon, etc.

Tigress

Ok, so you do have the actually announced what they are going to do. But.. I have to put contention to the meaty ass game comment as if Bethesda doesn't put out a meaty game. I mean Bethesda is known for a game that for those who like it will suck them in for hundreds of hours. I'm not sure what your idea of a meaty game is if that isn't it. I know that Bethesda games last me longer than Witcher 3 did. I loved it and no I didn't do all of it but I tired of it way before I would ever get close to doing all of it. I don't tire of Bethesda games as quickly. Don't get me wrong, I loved Witcher 3 and I love supporting CDPR. But to imply that Bethesda doesn't offer meaty games is outright wrong (and yes, saying that Witcher is different and listing that they offer a meaty game is implying that you think Bethesda doesn't. Otherwise why list that when you are saying it's different).

Yep. I bought The Witcher 3's season pass via a download card at Best Buy on launch day.

blackjaw

It's ok, I'll buy it.

I've yet to be disappointed by Bethesda DLC (with the exception of Horse Armor, but that was cosmetic).

Top Bottom