• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Season Pass: $30, "we dont know what the actual DLC will be yet"

:lol

"We don't know what we're making, but it's $30!"

This fucking industry.

Isn't that a lot better than them working on DLC before the game is released? The way I see it, it means that all development time up until release is spent on the actual game, which is good news, no?

Maybe you consider Skyrim DLC good, for example. If that game had a Season Pass like this, what would you say to PS3 users who bought that "risk-free" Season Pass and had to deal with a game that barely worked?

Why the fuck would anyone subject themselves to stuff like this? There are literally no advantages at all for them. In what other industry do companies get away with selling content that isn't even imaginary, because they don't even exist as concrete thoughts?

I'm not even playing the "companies are greedy" card here because that's common sense - although this thread shows me that this industry's consumers don't have any of that. It's because of people who bend over to shit like this that things like Skyrim PS3, the Master Chief Collection, DriveClub's launch, etc. continue to happen over and over and over again.

We enable them.
I was in agreement with you for most of this thread until this post. The botched launches of those games aren't really comparable to pre-ordering a mystery box of indeterminate value.

JDSN

Banned
GAF when a company announces what the DLC will be before the game is released: "OMG they cut content from the original game and sold it separately! Ugh this industry is awful"

GAF when a company announces they don't know what the DLC is yet because they're still working on the game: "OMG they don't even know what the DLC will be? Ugh this industry is awful"

This two statements are not complete opposite nor inconsistent with each other, you should make right wing facebook pics.

For those confused as to why they're announced prior to launch, they need to be so that GameStop can sell them to consumers on launch day.

GameStop sells huge amounts of season passes up front, and encouraged every publisher to have one due to this. It's worked out great for everyone, which is why they all do it.

Yeah. I think it's kind of dubious PR to flat out admit that they don't even have a plan yet, but some of the backlash against the mere concept of season passes strikes me as "old man yells at clouds" stuff. There's obviously going to be post-game content that you can buy. Some people have pretty much got their mind made up before release that they know they're going to want to play a particular game for some time to come. Buying at a discount up front makes perfect sense.

Now if you're sitting there thinking "what do you take me for?! Some kind of rube!? Why don't you show me what the content is and then I'll decide if I want to buy it!" Well... you can do that. It's not like your opportunity to buy DLC goes into the famed Disney vault if you don't buy now. You can buy it now. Or you can buy it individually. Or you can buy the season pass later. Or you can wait a whole year for the Game of the Year edition (or whatever it's going to be called) to come out that'll have everything.

Monster Zero

Are people defending this for real? This ain't even in the scummy level of preorders, you at least have an ideal, a screenshot, a CG trailer or something. This is season pass to nothing. No idea what it's gonna be, yet they know it's $40 worth of content, luckily Bethesda is only charging $30 for the mystery dlc. Does this not sound like a scam to you? I've met more honest thieves in the streets. This is how we've gotten to this fucking point. Cause people will take whatever shit their favorite company throws at then. This isn't acceptable people!! Please don't buy this pass before learning of the content, I would say don't but it at all, but that's asking too much.

Foffy

Banned
Isn't that a lot better than them working on DLC before the game is released? The way I see it, it means that all development time up until release is spent on the actual game, which is good news, no?

Offer people to buy the pass when you announce ideas on what it'll offer.

Right now, you're literally spending more money on blind possibilities.

Scotia

Banned
I'm going to get this season pass. Fallout 3's DLC was really good (didn't get any for Skyrim) and buying all their future DLC in one go when I know I have the money to afford it is a no-brainer. Some people in this thread are acting like they've encountered Season Passes for the first time.

Warxard

Banned
Why the fuck would anyone subject themselves to stuff like this? There are literally no advantages at all for them. In what other industry do companies get away with selling content that isn't even imaginary, because they don't even exist as concrete thoughts?

I'm not even playing the "companies are greedy" card here because that's common sense - although this thread shows me that this industry's consumers don't have any of that. It's because of people who bend over to shit like this that things like Skyrim PS3, the Master Chief Collection, DriveClub's launch, etc. continue to happen over and over and over again.

We enable them.

Didn't Driveclub have a pretty well detailed launch schedule of their post-launch content? Wasn't MCC's post-launch content just ODST?

Selling stuff based on blind trust is not bad in your eyes? It's terrible. So far I would also say that there is no season pass in existence that has been worth buying.

"It's wrong for consumers to have some sort of hope that whatever a dev/pub pushes out will be good!"

I don't agree with this at all.

I find it hard to get outraged over this. I know I'm going to be getting all the DLC for this game anyway regardless of what the content is...because it's Fallout. So I might as well get it at a reduced price.

DeviantBoi

Somebody take a screenshot of "we’ll be offering a Season Pass that will get you all of the Fallout 4 DLC we ever do for just $30".

Cynical me believes there will be DLC sold separate and not included in the Season Pass.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Selling stuff based on blind trust is not bad in your eyes? It's terrible. So far I would also say that there is no season pass in existence that has been worth buying.

So no game released since the digital area exploded has had ANY post-launch DLC that was actually good in quality and price value. Riiiiiiiight.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But they already do this with the game itself, given that it lacks a demo and they try to sell you it via pre-order.

Beyond that, much like the game, you can also buy a season pass after all the content has come out, and even get it on sale.

What's the difference?

Spades

For shooters, I'm okay with a Season Pass because you know how many maps you're getting for your money. This sort of practice is BS though. Paying for something you don't know what you're going to get? It gives them green light to just make filler.

CHC

Honestly if they just release two expansions it will easily be worth it. I don't really like Bethesda's games much anymore but if there is a studio I'd trust to deliver the goods in terms of sheer content, it's them.

Xater

So no game released since the digital area exploded has had ANY post-launch DLC that was actually good in quality and price value. Riiiiiiiight.

I said no season pass was worth it. There is a difference.

But they already do this with the game itself, given that it lacks a demo and they try to sell you it via pre-order. Much like the game, you can also buy a season pass after all the content has come out.

What's the difference?

None? I think pre-orders are bullshit as well. No one should pre-order anything.

RE_Player

They are of course planning the dlc now, even if it is at an extremely early stage. Developers don't just wait for the game to hit store shelves and than work on dlc.

Haha, fuck no Bethesda. Unless you've got the exact same people who did Point Lookout making all of the DLC none of it will be worth it.

I'll wait for the GOTY Edition to play any of it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was in agreement with you for most of this thread until this post. The botched launches of those games aren't really comparable to pre-ordering a mystery box of indeterminate value.

Pre-order culture is exactly the reason why stuff like The Master Chief Collection happened. Microsoft had already gotten huge amounts of money from people who, for some reason, chose to trust them with their money before seeing the real product, and fucked them over.

Fast forward to a year after launch and the game still doesn't work as advertised, and they still have all that money from pre-orders.

Looking at stuff like this, why wouldn't companies just mount on their consumers and continue acting this way? It's like we never learn our lesson.

Then, you just don't buy them and continue about your normal business. I've never bought a season pass either. But their existence doesn't bother me. Despite not being a big fan of the practice, there's even been times where I wish they existed. See Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. I honestly wish there was a season pass for that game because I know I'm going to want the fighters and stages.

And then that's the light bulb moment. Maybe the way I feel about Smash Bros. is how other people feel about whatever their favorite game is and that's why they buy Season Passes!

I think you are out to lunch, They do DLC better than almost any other developer.

Yeah, it's always been ironic to me that they're so known for the horse armor mistake when they pretty much immediately turned around and started created the best value DLC in the business.

edit: That said, I'm not keen on buying season passes without explicit explanation of their contents. That's why I was willing to grab Witcher 3's. They told us upfront what the two expansion would be.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Meh, I don't get the backlash against this. We all know DLC is coming. They know DLC is coming. $30 seems about reasonable, maybe even the low end for season pass type offerings. The fact that they say it's worth at least $40 tells me they have 3-4 DLC's planned, if not more.

This is how the industry works now. I don't see any difference whatsoever between this and if they were to come out and say hey we have three DLC packs and the first launches in March.

So long as the game launches with a good amount of content and this wasn't clearly pulled from the game, I have no problems with this. In fact, I feel better in purchasing it day one, knowing it's getting more content.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Then define "worth" if it doesn't fall into either of those two categories. Don't just toss the word out there, and sashay around with your nose in the air because no one "gets it".

nOoblet16

Yea lets make a knee jerk reaction just because it's season pass.

To those who say people don't like pre ordering something they don't know about..how many other season passes tell you about every DLC that's to come?

To those who say I don't buy season pass....it's not for you. Season pass is a way to get a small discount for all of it.

To those who say Bethesda doesn't even know what they'll make...you know what the alternative of this would be? People complaining that Bethesda is working on something that isn't going to make it to launch and will release it later as a DLC. This is a sign of a developer working on DLC later while they concentrate on the main game right now. Most games do DLC like this where they think about ideas post release.

Lastly, Bethesda DLCs are good. The amount of content even in one DLC is quite good, so $30 for a set of DLCs that last a while seems reasonable to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
None? I think pre-orders are bullshit as well. No one should pre-order anything.

Okay, so walk me through this.

You find the concept of being able to exchange money for something before it comes out to be disgusting, but not to be able to exchange money for something you haven't tried yet after it has already released.

The reasons for this are __________.

Pre-order culture is exactly the reason why stuff like The Master Chief Collection happened. Microsoft had already gotten huge amounts of money from people who, for some reason, chose to trust them with their money before seeing the real product, and fucked them over.

Fast forward to a year after launch and the game still doesn't work as advertised, and they still have all that money from pre-orders.

Looking at stuff like this, why wouldn't companies just mount on their consumers and continue acting this way? It's like we never learn our lesson.
Seeing the product doesn't matter. You're basically arguing not only against preordering games, but buying them new. After all once they have your 60 dollars, you're not getting it back.

lt519

This is fucking laughable considering some of their DLC is a bust. People do not pay $30 for something you have no clue what it is and/or don't even know if you'll want it when it comes out. Pay full price later if it is worth it. This is crazy.

I get why people are laughing, but if you think about it it's gonna be a pretty sweet deal.

I'm in, Todd. You got me.

Shivering Isles, Dragonborn, vampire DLC were all really good. Fallout 3 DLC was shite was so was Fallout 3 itself. So it is what it is.

Meh, I don't get the backlash against this. We all know DLC is coming. They know DLC is coming. $30 seems about reasonable, maybe even the low end for season pass type offerings. The fact that they say it's worth at least $40 tells me they have 3-4 DLC's planned, if not more.

This is how the industry works now. I don't see any difference whatsoever between this and if they were to come out and say hey we have three DLC packs and the first launches in March.

So long as the game launches with a good amount of content and this wasn't clearly pulled from the game, I have no problems with this. In fact, I feel better in purchasing it day one, knowing it's getting more content.

If someone is upset that Bethesda didn't give some info about what this season pass will contain, I get it.

If someone is upset that Bethesda is offering a season pass in the first place, I don't get it.

A lot of people in this thread aren't really articulating what they're actually upset about.

Now if you're sitting there thinking "what do you take me for?! Some kind of rube!? Why don't you show me what the content is and then I'll decide if I want to buy it!" Well... you can do that. It's not like your opportunity to buy DLC goes into the famed Disney vault if you don't buy now. You can buy it now. Or you can buy it individually. Or you can buy the season pass later. Or you can wait a whole year for the Game of the Year edition (or whatever it's going to be called) to come out that'll have everything.

Good post. It's a shame more people aren't taking a second to think about this before posting (which applies to most threads these days, sadly). They're offering the choice to blindly buy their DLC based on faith and their track record. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then don't. It isn't the only option.

I'll most likely wait for them to reveal their plans before buying the season pass, and if they never do...then I guess I'll just buy them individually. I'm not going to act outraged about this practice if I have the option to pay for the content in a way that is acceptable to me. Which I do.

They are of course planning the dlc now, even if it is at an extremely early stage. Developers don't just wait for the game to hit store shelves and than work on dlc.

Planning is ok though. So many games come out with Season Pass content so well planned in advance that you know it was at least partially developed before the game itself released, which I hate. Of course people shouldn't buy it because season passes in general are a terrible thing, but knowing that they're not working on developing DLC until after (or just before) the game releases is actually a good thing.

Xater

Then define "worth" if it doesn't fall into either of those two categories. Don't just toss the word out there, and sashay around with your nose in the air because no one "gets it".

Worth wasn't my point. You said post launch DLC, I said season pass. There is a big difference between the two. I can like a single piece of content they release while thinking forking out money for the whole season pass is a waste of money.

Example: Actual new story content = cool. A bunch of shitty skins = bad.

JPS Kai

For those confused as to why they're announced prior to launch, they need to be so that GameStop can sell them to consumers on launch day.

GameStop sells huge amounts of season passes up front, and encouraged every publisher to have one due to this. It's worked out great for everyone, which is why they all do it.

GameStop aims to have a 30% season pass attachment rate with most new releases. I believe they did quite well with Destiny and The Witcher. Couldn't tell you how well/poorly WB's season pass for Arkham Knight sold.

This goes against everything I usually do, but I've enjoyed pretty much every Fallout 3 and New Vegas DLC so I'll be buying this. I have faith we will get at least 4 solid DLCs

:Kanye:

Eh, announcing season pass early is always stupid. Especially when you don't even know what's planned.

But the pass will always be there. Before, during, and after release. So the only dumb people are the ones who buy it before hand.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
We are at the point where I wouldn't be surprised if this happened:

"When we said DLC we meant the $5 addons for the game. You are going to have to pay for that Expansion seperately"

Interfectum

Then, you just don't buy them and continue about your normal business. I've never bought a season pass either. But their existence doesn't bother me. Despite not being a big fan of the practice, there's even been times where I wish they existed. See Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. I honestly wish there was a season pass for that game because I know I'm going to want the fighters and stages.

And then that's the light bulb moment. Maybe the way I feel about Smash Bros. is how other people feel about whatever their favorite game is and that's why they buy Season Passes!

Yup. I rarely ever buy DLC or season passes but with Witcher 3 I snatched that Expansion Pass up in a second. I'm not going to judge people who choose to do the same for one of their anticipated games.

I really don't see the outrage nor do I see how this is related to MCC or any other botched launch that's being thrown around.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Seeing the product doesn't matter. You're basically arguing not only against preordering games, but buying them new. After all once they have your 60 dollars, you're not getting it back.

Of course not. Wait for impressions from trusted sources. You don't need to buy anything day 1. If what you read or hear in terms of opinions on the final product is good enough for you to make an educated purchase, then go ahead.

Please be my guest and support developers who deserve your money with a full-priced purchase.

Warxard

Banned

Who expected MCC to be a technical mess when Halo 4...wasn't...a technical mess? I sure didn't, and I pre-ordered MCC!

MCC (which works pretty fine now btw) being bunk at launch has nothing to do with pre-order culture. (As far as I'm aware) the game had no 'post launch' promises or insane Pre-Order bonuses that pushed/forced players into pre-ordering immediately like Fallout 4 is doing now. At least from what I remembered of the PR run for the game.

Of course not. Wait for impressions from trusted sources. You don't need to buy anything day 1. If what you read or hear in terms of opinions on the final product is good enough for you to make an educated purchase, then go ahead.

Please be my guest and support developers who deserve your money with a full-priced purchase.

I can support devs with a full price purchase...on day one! :D (After all, most pubs gauge a game's success within the first week of launch anyway. IN this industry 'slow burners' are rarely accepted.)

Dear Bethesda,

Fuck off.

OK. I think it's fine that not all of us agree on certain things. But come on. Can we at least try and act like we're sort of adults here? "Fuck off" is not an appropriate response to a publisher doing what is basically the new normal for the industry right now.

Tigress

Ok, if you say no season pass is worth it, you are implying the DLC you get is always sucky and not worth buying. Because that's all the season pass is, is buying the DLC at once with a discount for doing so (they do offer the season pass after the DLC is out. I was still debating on the season pass for Dying Light cause I want the expansion coming out but decided I didn't really care for the other DLC. But the fact is I could decide that and they have all but one DLC out now with the next one announced and it would be worth it if I wanted the other stuff too and I"m sure there are Dying Light fans who do want the other stuff. So yes, the season pass would be worth it to them <- already proving your statement of season passes never worth it wrong).

For me I am pretty sure I'll like at least two of the DLCs (I bought all three for Skryim but I got half off due to their way of apologizing to PS3 owners for waiting so long). And that will probably be worth it right there. I can wait and see what they are and then get the season pass. As long as I love the game and there are two DLC's I want, it will be worth it to me.

Season passes are worth it depending on what DLCs you get with it. And implying they are never worth it is implying DLCs are always bad because that's the only way the pass isn't worth it.

Now, we can talk about how evil season passes are once they start doing the "this offer is only good before we put out the DLC. Otherwise you'll have to buy them all seperately". Then I could see why people would be upset.

Top Bottom