• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Season Pass: $30, "we dont know what the actual DLC will be yet"

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Fallout/Elder Scrolls usually have quality DLC, and I buy them all so the fact that this saves me money is pretty good. Glad they are doing this.

But thats their multiplayer is it not. The argument im the thread was they announced it before the game came out, going by quality i can easily say i trust them because left behind was a masterpiece

I bought the PS4 version and couldn't even finish Left Behind I was so bored but I get that the game just isn't for me. Oh well.

lt519

The best part is that with a game this size 75% of the people buying the season pass won't have even finished the regular content. I never bought Bethesda DLC (minus the new Vegas money one, boo) because I can't even fully explore the originals in the first place. Has no bearing on the argument but it's likely true.

OK. I think it's fine that not all of us agree on certain things. But come on. Can we at least try and act like we're sort of adults here? "Fuck off" is not an appropriate response to a publisher doing what is basically the new normal for the industry right now.

Just because publishers regularly do this nonsense doesn't mean it's acceptable and as long as companies like Bethesda do this I'll keep telling them to shove it. Even preemptively planning a $30 dollar season pass before release is bollocks.

prwxv3

Jesus if you are skeptical just wait until the DLC is out and buy what you want or the season pass if you want all of it. Stop insulting people that want the season pass. its embarrassing.

Lol its funny this happens not to long after the naughty dog thread they got trashed for announcing single player dlc before release(we kno its single player jus no price and info) yet here we know nothing at all but aye give us $30.00. In my eyes either you had to be defending both our against both if thats the case
Did you even read that thread? Most were ok with them adding DLC because it ND. This thread is contrast to that with much more "hating" going on.

Its normal to cut content from developing games, it's normal to put content behind preorder wall, it's normal for games to release in a shit state when your money is already dead, the industry norm is shitty and we shouldn't just go "well that's how it is now" Fallout 4 was top 3 hype for me, but I'm not a sucker, I'm not gonna fall for their trap they trying to sneak in. I don't trust season passes. They have almost 0 benefit for the customer.

Then don't buy it. But that doesn't make responding with a simple "fuck off" a reasonable option for public discourse here. "I think I'll wait and see if the content is worth it" is a reasonable response. Not "fuck off Bethesda!"

The best part is that with a game this size 75% of the people buying the season pass won't have even finished the regular content. I never bought Bethesda DLC (minus the new Vegas money one, boo) because I can't even fully explore the originals in the first place. Has no bearing on the argument but it's likely true.

Of course it's true . The majority of people likely don't finish any games they purchase.

MegaMelon

now I will just buy it used, cheaper. By trying to get more money out if me, they will get less.

They're offering the chance for you to pay before knowing what you'll be getting. Think that's dumb? Don't buy it- there's no problem with that. This is more aimed towards hardcore fans of the series and those who are happy with Bethesda's track record as well as those who will be buying all dlc anyway at launch and would like to save a bit.

Just because publishers regularly do this nonsense doesn't mean it's acceptable and as long as companies like Bethesda do this I'll keep telling them to shove it. Even preemptively planning a $30 dollar season pass before release is bollocks.
What about planning any post release content in general? And planning to charge money for it? Bollocks? Or mentioning it out loud before the game's released, is that the problem?

now I will just buy it used, cheaper. By trying to get more money out of me, they will get less.

So, they were honest and announced that they're doing a season pass - which is unsurprising given that they usually release lots of DLC - and you're not going to buy it new?

I actually like companies coming out and announcing this stuff. I think they should maybe wait until they have a better idea about details, but knowing Bethesda's track record there's really no reason to worry?

I don't like the idea of pre-ordering mystery digital content, but I do like the idea of being able to get all of the content at a reduced price when the reviews come out, particularly during a sale.

rjinaz

There may be some truth to this, but DLCs usually offer something different, like a new locale to explore, new weapons, armor, enemies and the like. You can explore a good chunk of the regular content before it all starts feeling the same.

Mind you I like more of the same, and actually prefer it to DLCs but I can understand wanting something new.

What about planning any post release content in general? And planning to charge money for it? Bollocks? Or mentioning it out loud before the game's released, is that the problem?

This. Either we know in advance or not, it changes nothing. I'd rather be slightly better informed personally.

Pre-order culture is exactly the reason why stuff like The Master Chief Collection happened. Microsoft had already gotten huge amounts of money from people who, for some reason, chose to trust them with their money before seeing the real product, and fucked them over.

Fast forward to a year after launch and the game still doesn't work as advertised, and they still have all that money from pre-orders.

Looking at stuff like this, why wouldn't companies just mount on their consumers and continue acting this way? It's like we never learn our lesson.
Yeah, but at least with Skyrim, MCC, and DC, we at least had some idea of what we were getting, or to be more accurate, what we were supposed to get. :lol This Fallout season pass thing, however, is a crapshoot. Bethesda doesn't even know the value of the contents, and that's a problem.

To be clear, I'm not inherently against the idea of preordering games, nor am I against buying season passes that are clearly laid out (like the awesome Mario Kart 8 season pass, which to date is the only season pass I ever bought). I am against season passes where you don't even know what you're getting.

Did you even read that thread? Most were ok with them adding DLC because it ND. This thread is contrast to that with much more "hating" going on.
Which one lol three of them turned into talking about the dlc and not in a good way. The same amount of hating was going on in both in my opinion my point was to say no publisher should get a pass, if ones going to get questioned others should too

Bethesda has a long history of significant long term support, it's only natural of them to offer this option for those who will buy it regardless. More money to fund the DLC content is always a good thing.

Holy shit.
I am strongly against preorders and DLC, but seriously, anyone buying this in advance has some mental problem.

Or they just don't care/ take gaming as seriously as others? Or they have enough expendable cash to not think twice about it? Or they have faith that Bethesda will deliver based on how much that person enjoyed their past DLCs? Maybe all three of those things?

The 'if you don't share the same view/opinion as me you must be *insert insult here*' way of thinking on (not just) this site is so fucking tiresome. Get over yourselves.

It's not an either-or situation. Announcing a road map, or even an idea of what you'll get is not the same thing as cutting content. The game is ~2 months out, people involved in pre-production stuff aren't going to be optimizing the game.

No, but if they say 'we're planing on doing this to be released at X time, here's a screenshot or whatever' then you've got people acting outraged that they're working on DLC before the game is released.

Like, nobody is forced to buy the season pass until details are announced. Anyone who does is stupid, but I'd still rather them say 'Hey, we're going to release some DLC. It'll cost $30, going to start working on it soon' than 'Hey, we're selling you this content 2 months after the game releases, buy it now to save $5'.

I'm not defending season passes at all here, but it's a nice change to say the least when a developer pretty much admits they haven't started working on DLC while the game itself was still in development. That doesn't mean people should buy the season pass, at least not until some info is announced.

prwxv3

I am still shocked that people are mad that companies are being more open and giving you more information about their support of the game. More information is better for the customer not worse. Wanting them to withhold information (DLC plans) just so you feel better is not better for the customer. If you are worried about them cutting content from the base game just for the DLC then just wait until the DLC comes out. It will most likely be obvious if that is the case.

duckroll

I don't like the idea of pre-ordering mystery digital content, but I do like the idea of being able to get all of the content at a reduced price when the reviews come out, particularly during a sale.

The trouble with season passes is that whether you actually get stuff at a reduced price is an open question though. If at the point of payment you don't know what you're actually getting, a lot of it is on faith. While it might technically be true that you get more than 30 dollars "worth" of content in total, there is a question of how much of that content you would have actually wanted if you know what it all was.

I don't think there is a problem with pre-ordering digital content. It's no different from any other type of content. The problem is paying for something which is not detailed at all. That is not cool.

spekkeh

Banned
Why are people saying you don't know what you're going to get? By this time we know exactly what you're getting from a preorder with no idea about the quality of content, namely a dick in your ass. So if this floats your boat, go on and buy it right now.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
For those confused as to why they're announced prior to launch, they need to be so that GameStop can sell them to consumers on launch day.

GameStop sells huge amounts of season passes up front, and encouraged every publisher to have one due to this. It's worked out great for everyone, which is why they all do it.

Yep. Of course they're going to do DLC and offer a season pass for it; a season pass is always done.

I think the takeaway from this should be that they clearly aren't chopping up the game and selling it for extra on top of the base $60 price. If they don't know what the DLC will be — just that they want to make DLC in general — then they'll develop it separately, the way DLC should be.

At the same time, it makes sense not to buy the season pass when you don't know what will be in it, but I don't know how much umbrage should be taken at the company allowing people to buy passes now without such foreknowledge.

Takuan

Yeah. I think it's kind of dubious PR to flat out admit that they don't even have a plan yet, but some of the backlash against the mere concept of season passes strikes me as "old man yells at clouds" stuff. There's obviously going to be post-game content that you can buy. Some people have pretty much got their mind made up before release that they know they're going to want to play a particular game for some time to come. Buying at a discount up front makes perfect sense.

Now if you're sitting there thinking "what do you take me for?! Some kind of rube!? Why don't you show me what the content is and then I'll decide if I want to buy it!" Well... you can do that. It's not like your opportunity to buy DLC goes into the famed Disney vault if you don't buy now. You can buy it now. Or you can buy it individually. Or you can buy the season pass later. Or you can wait a whole year for the Game of the Year edition (or whatever it's going to be called) to come out that'll have everything.

Better no promises than unfulfilled ones, right? I appreciate the honesty. Bethesda has a solid track record of delivering post-release content, so it's not likely they'll take your money and run.

Personally, I don't see myself ever supporting season passes (at regular price), but this is the norm now and it makes sense for Bethesda to do this with their franchises.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Please, please, PLEASE let the DLC be like New Vegas!

New Vegas DLC was definitely better than FO3, but come on the originals wasn't THAT bad.

Why are people saying you don't know what you're going to get? By this time we know exactly what you're getting from a preorder with no idea about the quality of content, namely a dick in your ass. So if this floats your boat, go on and buy it right now.

Aren't you pleasant.

Berrigal

Neo Member
i22WYRM.png

You can have the lovely fully explained and planned DLC over there next to Smithers... or you can pay $30 and trade it all in for what's inside this box.

Foffy

Banned
No, but if they say 'we're planing on doing this to be released at X time, here's a screenshot or whatever' then you've got people acting outraged that they're working on DLC before the game is released.

Like, nobody is forced to buy the season pass until details are announced. Anyone who does is stupid, but I'd still rather them say 'Hey, we're going to release some DLC. It'll cost $30, going to start working on it soon' than 'Hey, we're selling you this content 2 months after the game releases, buy it now to save $5'.

I'm not defending season passes at all here, but it's a nice change to say the least when a developer pretty much admits they haven't started working on DLC while the game itself was still in development. That doesn't mean people should buy the season pass, at least not until some info is announced.

People in this very thread are doing just that. Which risks this mindless hypothetical purchase culture to become yet another norm in this industry.

They've not announced what it will have, and people are already willing to throw paper at it. It's baffling.

Nzyme32

I think you have to be pretty silly to buy these season passes with no idea what the dlc will be, how much and when.

Then again, I know there will be people who are just so die hard as fans of Fallout, that they wouldn't care and have faith that the content will be good.

Each to their own. I'd probably do the same with some games, but they are in an extreme minority and I'd at least need more info than - we don't know what it is yet

People in this very thread are doing just that. Which risks this mindless hypothetical purchase culture to become yet another norm in this industry.

They've not announced what it will have, and people are already willing to throw paper at it. It's baffling.

Oh I know people in this thread are doing that, and those people are stupid and deserve to be judged. Nothing is gained from buying a season pass. The 'It saves money' argument is such nonsense, considering you're saving at most $5-$10 on a purchase that's probably close to $100 over all.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Bethesda doesn't exactly have a good track record with DLC for their Oblivion/Fallout titles.

Operation Anchorage and Broken Steel were the only good Fallout 3 expansions and Skyrim's expansions were laughable, really.

If this were Obsidian (and god knows I wish it was) doing Fallout 4, I would force feed them my money. But, I'm going to wait on this and hope to see these DLC expansions to be...you know, good.

I don't even like Bethesda but they are pretty good with DLC.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

You glossed over where they said FORCED. No one is being FORCED to do anything. Everyone in this thread can wait until the first couple of DLC packs are released to see the quality and whether it, and future DLC packs are worth 40 bucks. Or they can sneak in early based solely on Bethesda's history of DLC (which they trade on in the announcement) and save 10 dollars off.

Alucrid

Banned

Can you link me to where i can currently buy the season pass? I didn't see it on the Playstation store but I would like to give people here an aneurysm by ordering it

Here's my problem. I'll happily concede that shady stuff does happen. And I not only think it's ok for consumers to be wary of where they spend their money, but I actively encourage people to be more discerning with where their dollars go. But I also get really, really tired or righteous indignation just for the sake of it. Maybe I'm just out of touch here, but it becomes difficult for me to ascertain which issues are serious and which aren't when people seem to just default to screaming about anything and everything they don't like.

Game gets great reviews but actually doesn't seem to work right when regular end-users are playing due to insufficient infrastructure? Yeah, that's a serious problem worthy of consumer outrage. A company is announcing that they're making content -- a surprise to absolutely nobody given that every other company does this in 2015 -- and that you can opt to buy everything in advance? What is even the problem there? If you want more info, then don't preorder it. That power is your's. There is absolutely no pressure to buy the season pass.

duckroll

Yep. Of course they're going to do DLC and offer a season pass for it; a season pass is always done.

I think the takeaway from this should be that they clearly aren't chopping up the game and selling it for extra on top of the base $60 price. If they don't know what the DLC will be — just that they want to make DLC in general — then they'll develop it separately, the way DLC should be.

At the same time, it makes sense not to buy the season pass when you don't know what will be in it, but I don't know how much umbrage should be taken at the company allowing people to buy passes now without such foreknowledge.

My view on this is that it seems silly to look at this as a publisher "allowing people to buy passes now without such foreknowledge", like it is some gracious act of freedom. The reality is probably that the business side of the publisher has mandated that they will be selling a season pass, and that it needs to be announced and marketed pre-release because they want to push people to buy it to add to their launch profits. The developer side probably does not feel comfortable detailing anything yet, and sure to their credit they're being honest about it. Still a crappy deal for consumers though!

prwxv3

There are many people that will buy all the Fallout DLC. Now they can get a nice discount for doing so. How is that bad to them?

If I knew they would be story packs I'd probably be OK, but knowing they have that base management shit in there I'm not shelling out any $$$ up front.

Top Bottom