• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5: Welcome to Hope County, Montana teaser videos, full reveal May 26th

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I'm in, day one. I just hope they nail the story/atmosphere.

sjay1994

The more I've played ubisoft games, the more frustrated I feel that they will fuck it up somehow.

Maybe I've become pessimistic, but I would love to be proven wrong.

The more I've played ubisoft games, the more frustrated I feel that they will fuck it up somehow.

Several of the AC games and Watch Dogs 1 sure, but Watch Dogs 2,FarCry 3,4 and Primal were pretty on point.

Compsiox

Banned
Aren't Ubisoft games supposed to not have deep narratives anymore? They're supposed to be more like games as a service?

So, I'm wondering what that could mean for Far Cry.

Gator86

Every Far Cry since 2 has been great, with the exception of Primal. Even 2, with all of its jank and weirdness, was a terrific experience.

Aren't Ubisoft games supposed to not have deep narratives anymore? They're supposed to be more like games as a service?

2-4 player co-op, always-online, heavy PvP push and silly-costume DLC?

Wouldn't be surprised anyhow.

120v

not like that's going to apply to every single ubi game

FC always sold well as a single player game. nobody really cares about MP in those games

sjay1994

Several of the AC games and Watch Dogs 1 sure, but Watch Dogs 2,FarCry 3,4 and Primal were pretty on point.

AC is mostly where this frustration comes from (since holy fuck post 4 their narratives have ranged from mediocre to tripe)

Far Cry 3 outside of Vaas's dialogue is a mess, 4 and primal have some neat ideas but on a whole they aren't narratively compelling.

Watch Dogs 2 is actually enjoyable in terms of characters, but that is the polar opposite in terms of tone regarding these teasers

Like, I don't have the confidence in ubisoft's writters to nail a setting like this.

As for gameplay, hopefully their dev team heard loud and clear that their formula needs a shake up. I am tired for them for seeing "lul towers" shit posts in every thread regarding their games, despite towers not being a thing since AC syndicate.

Compsiox

Banned
2-4 player co-op, always-online, heavy PvP push and silly-costume DLC?

Wouldn't be surprised anyhow.

I could definitely see that. I honestly don't think it would be too bad if implemented well.

not like that's going to apply to every single ubi game

FC always sold well as a single player game. nobody really cares about MP in those games

Ehhh you never know.

Something about this seems to bring many tv series memories for people. I'll add yet another one serie influence that I wouldn't mind: True Detective.

AC is mostly where this frustration comes from (since holy fuck post 4 their narratives have ranged from mediocre to tripe)

Far Cry 3 outside of Vaas's dialogue is a mess, 4 and primal have some neat ideas but on a whole they aren't narratively compelling.

Watch Dogs 2 is actually enjoyable in terms of characters, but that is the polar opposite in terms of tone regarding these teasers

Like, I don't have the confidence in ubisoft's writters to nail a setting like this.

As for gameplay, hopefully their dev team heard loud and clear that their formula needs a shake up. I am tired for them for seeing "lul towers" shit posts in every thread regarding their games, despite towers not being a thing since AC syndicate.

I see where you're coming from and can't disagree with what you said. Yeah if those towers could be given a rest for an change that would be pretty nice. Who knows. Rumors are that the towers are gone in new AC, right? If true, maybe in FC as well.

The Far Cry series has quickly become one of my favourites after playing them over the past 18 months upon picking them up cheap - even Primal.

Excited to see where this one goes, but I'll definitely be picking it up

sjay1994

Every Far Cry since 2 has been great, with the exception of Primal. Even 2, with all of its jank and weirdness, was a terrific experience.

Gameplay wise, totally.

Primal was really mediocre to play.

But narratively, with the udam I think it had some neat ideas. This didn't apply for the rest of the game, but that one idea they had with the Udam was really fascinating.

Most games or devs wouldn't touch this scenario and setting with a ten foot pole, let alone a AAA dev, so I'll be interested to see what they do with this

Interestingly, we're getting another game involving a cult, The Church In The Darkness

Col.Asher

I hear Montana is a lawless forest filled with side activities, outposts and towers.

Any residents want to confirm/deny?
you also can't go outside without running into viscious wildlife every five feet, and the water ways have mutated pike that can eat a man.

sjay1994

I see where you're coming from and can't disagree with what you said. Yeah if those towers could be given a rest for an change that would be pretty nice. Who knows. Rumors are that the towers are gone in new AC, right? If true, maybe in FC as well.

I never had a problem with towers in AC. In fact, it's the game where it makes the most sense. My problem was this concept bled into other games, making them mesh far to much together instead of trying to distinguish themselves from one another.

Setsuna

I honestly do not think any of you actually care about "towers" in an ubisoft game other than to Meme about them on the internet

sjay1994

I honestly do not think any of you actually care about "towers" in an ubisoft game other than to Meme about them on the internet

Pretty much.

Its just the simplest driveby shitpost people can muster. They haven't been a thing in their games since 2015.

Yea you're right, outside of the internet I love doing the same repetitive tasks 25 times in an open world game just to reveal more of the map which houses only more boring repetitive side activities.

Rocket786

I was burned out of the Far Cry formula after Far Cry 3 and haven't played a game in the series since. With that said, Ubi has my attention with these teasers. They are very well done.

Please make the open world formula intriguing Ubi. I hear they've made some progress with Watch Dogs 2? I know they got rid of their towers to open up the map nonsense, but I hope it's more than just that. Ubi open world games feel so tedious with the million things to collect. Hopefully they do something different this time.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Most games or devs wouldn't touch this scenario and setting with a ten foot pole, let alone a AAA dev, so I'll be interested to see what they do with this

Interestingly, we're getting another game involving a cult, The Church In The Darkness
This is the only reason I'm somewhat hyped for this game right now.
I want this Far Cry dev team to go all in with this setting/scenario and make it as creepy ie realistic as possible. I really look forward to hunting some religious cult/KKK/nationalist monsters in this video game. Very much so.

sjay1994

The one mechanic I will side eye in Far Cry 5 if it shows up is the hunting and crafting system that existed from 3 to Primal.

It might make sense in those settings, but if you are really a cop going to face these cults, I don't think killing a few pigs for a wallet is something they would do, especially in the states.

RedSwirl

Mechanically, I hope FC5 is a huge shift in the formula, or at least a huge evolution. The FC3 formula is stuck on last--gen limitations and Ubi needs to be done with it.

Mett

Totally interested in learning more about this game. Thought both 3 and 4 were great but have yet to play 2 or Primal. These little short videos are enough to get me excited for friday.

Say what you want about Ubi though, but this announcing and releasing the same year is something I definitely appreciate. Bethesda started it with Fallout 4 and Ubi clearly liked how that looked. Wish more developers or publishers would take note of that.

diaspora

This is the only reason I'm somewhat hyped for this game right now.
I want this Far Cry dev team to go all in with this setting/scenario and make it as creepy ie realistic as possible. I really look forward to hunting some religious cult/KKK/nationalist monsters in this video game. Very much so.

Even better is if they have them hide in plain sight. A big problem facing police forces iirc is the infiltration of ethno-nationalists.

sjay1994

Say what you want about Ubi though, but this announcing and releasing the same year is something I definitely appreciate. Bethesda started it with Fallout 4 and Ubi clearly liked how that looked. Wish more developers or publishers would take note of that.

I mean... they've always kinda done this in a way.

Every assassins creed was announced and released within the same year, and Farcry 4 and Primal were released maybe 4-5 months after announce.

The only game that's applied to are there "one more thing games" from 2012-2014 being OG Watch Dogs, Division and Siege

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Even better is if they have them hide in plain sight. A big problem facing police forces iirc is the infiltration of ethno-nationalists.
Hell yes, this would be ideal. Make it as close to real current life as possible and you have a genuine horror game on your hands. This would be the best route to go and I'd be there day one.

Top Bottom