• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5: Welcome to Hope County, Montana teaser videos, full reveal May 26th

What could possible be going on in Montana in this game to make it worth playing? Either a different time or some insanely fictional story lines going on here.

Looks like the leaker on reddit was right about the Montana setting with the religious cultists.

I really did not expect themes like that in a game.

Can't wait for the hyper charismatic psychotic preacher antagonist.

Far Cry post-3 are made by their villains. This sounds like it could be a really interesting one.

SomTervo

Doesn't matter how "secluded" it is, going around having gameplay like Far Cry 4, etc and just blasting people all over will feel out of place for that setting if they try to make the setting/story realistic.

You can picture someone in modern day Montana doing anything like in FC 3/4 and it wouldn't feel "out of place" for the setting and time period?

It'd be like a GTA game having you play as a cop and then ignoring all the violence that comes with the gameplay of GTA games usually.

You're totally right - and hopefully that means a more low key combat experience, more sparse and intense like Far Cry 2.

If you turned the music off in Far Cry 2 it was almost like No Country for Old Men: The Game.

If they're not doing that... They've blown it already.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Can't wait for the hyper charismatic psychotic preacher antagonist.

wait
latest

Fisty

What do either of those games have to do with this?

Well, CoJ is a western-themed Ubisoft shooter, which Far Cry 5 seems to be. I don't think they would work on two of basically the same thing.

And CoJ is developed by Techland, who makes Dying Light... which we are due for a follow up on soon considering how successful it was for them.

Just kinda sad it seems like we won't see more CoJ

The Goat

That first video got me hyped as shit! I was like, wow, this looks amazing, holy fuck. Live action... ugh.

Seems it's modern day Montana? Or at least it's not the 1800s west I was expecting.

Eylos

Banned
What could possible be going on in Montana in this game to make it worth playing? Either a different time or some insanely fictional story lines going on here.
KKK armed Group going Wild and you play as a character in the radical resistance

My guess

Well, CoJ is a western-themed Ubisoft shooter, which Far Cry 5 seems to be. I don't think they would work on two of basically the same thing.

And CoJ is developed by Techland, who makes Dying Light... which we are due for a follow up on soon considering how successful it was for them.

Just kinda sad it seems like we won't see more CoJ
This is not a western.

Am I alone in hoping that this turns out to basically be Longmire: The Video Game? I'm also hoping for some kind of Outlast 2-ish "cult runs the county" creepy experience but those ideas are kinda incompatible with both each other and the standard Far Cry formula maybe? I dunno.

It's probably that drug cartel standard stuff the rumors suggested though.

RootCause

Am I alone in hoping that this turns out to basically be Longmire: The Video Game? I'm also hoping for some kind of Outlast 2-ish "cult runs the county" creepy experience but those ideas are kinda incompatible with both each other and the standard Far Cry formula.

I loved Longmire, that would be sweet. The Cultish stuff would good too imo.

And besides, as someone who's been to modern day Montana, there's absolutely nothing there to make a video game out of lol

Exactly. Same here. Been out there a few times for fishing and hunting. Not much out there. Crazy beautiful... but a lot of nothing.

Dabanton

I hope we have friendly people about ala Ghost Recon: wildlands. Adding them to the mix made starting firefights a bit more intense.

I'm hoping they don't make up a lame excuse as to why there are no friendly NPCs about ala Far Cry 2

maped

Neo Member
Am I alone in hoping that this turns out to basically be Longmire: The Video Game? I'm also hoping for some kind of Outlast 2-ish "cult runs the county" creepy experience but those ideas are kinda incompatible with both each other and the standard Far Cry formula maybe? I dunno.

I'm wishing more of a Banshee:The Videogame, because that's what the teaser reminded me of and holy shit would it be an amazing setting for a game. Probably would work better in a game with more Batman-like gameplay instead of Far Cry due to all the hand-to-hand, but I'll take it.

I hope we have friendly people about ala Ghost Recon: wildlands. Adding them to the mix made starting firefights a bit more intense.
It really does, especially when enemy markers are disabled and you have to use your own eyes to check your targets when things get hairy.

There are a lot of aspects to Wildlands that make me hopeful in a new Far Cry, but there are equally things in the Ubi open world formula that have bugged me just as much.

Curiosity piqued, though I'm looking at these teaser trailers as nothing more than a reveal of the setting (modern rural and small town), and not necessarily tone. Game trailers have a bad track record when it comes to tone.

I won't lie, I worry such a setting might be limited compared to the islands and mountains of previous games.

But we've yet to see gameplay, so we'll see. I loved 3 and 4, but it does feel like I'll need a change to keep going.

It's sad that some of you think this is the game and not live footage. Come on, you're gaming enthusiast. Act like it.

For real, though. Can't wait to see some of these environments in show.

Top Bottom