• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

ITT: Some gaffers don't understand context. Guy was completely in the right for defending his daughter.
I think people just have different assumptions of how it went down. Which is useless to argue about though, because no one here knows how it actually went down.

No, you are too busy making up wild "vengeance kill" scenarios in your wild imagination, and blaming others for not being "logical."

The main topic at hand in the discussion I entered was about the vengeful posts of the users here. "I'd have done much worse".. my original revenge comment? Wasn't even ABOUT the OP.

But I really think at this point I need to unsubscribe.. despite repeatedly saying I think this was a justified kill, I'm getting thrown under the bus for suggesting it wasn't actually a DEFENSE kill.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would not say I would kill a guy even if I caught him doing that. I'm not sure death is an appropriate retribution for anything short of murder.

The main topic at hand in the discussion I entered was about the vengeful posts of the users here. "I'd have done much worse".. my original revenge comment? Wasn't even ABOUT the OP.

But I really think at this point I need to unsubscribe.. despite repeatedly saying I think this was a justified kill, I'm getting thrown under the bus for suggesting it wasn't actually a DEFENSE kill.

Tell his daughter he wasn't defending her.

Cheech

It's all about intent. He even showed remorse for the killing after the fact, which goes a long way to prove that he didn't actually mean to kill the guy.

So, I walk in to a room, see a guy molesting my 4 year old, I would start smacking the shit out of him too. At that point, I'm defending my child. Given the situation, nobody is going to fault me for going too far, because in that state of mind, what is "too far"? It's not like he was sticking his fingers up my dog's asshole. It's my little girl, FFS.

This guy is not getting charged with anything. Even if the prosecutor is bored, no jury is going to convict him. This has nothing to do with "Texas" (for once). Nowhere in the USA would he be charged with a crime. No firearms were involved, no weapons, just an immediate need to protect your child.

Kangi

As someone who finds himself lacking the capacity to hurt anyone physically, and always see death as a sad thing... I wouldn't think twice about doing what this man did in this case, inadvertantly killing the guy or not. The fact that anyone would not act in defense of their (hypothetical) young child in such a way honestly boggles me.

I'm not one to pretend that everything would work out perfectly fine and I could manage to non-lethally incapacitate the guy or otherwise stop him from both abusing my child and from escaping. I'm not so sure that I'd just walk in, have the guy stop doing what he's doing, and have him stand around with me waiting for the police to take him away.

Guys this is one of those situations where our 'moral guidelines' can't help us. Only the people directly involved can come to a conclusion if it was the right thing to do or not.

If you think it's good that another human died and he should be rewarded for killing, you're a bit insane.

If you think that he should be punished because he killed to protect his daughter, you're a bit insane.

And where did I say that is what would have happened?

People are claiming this is a "defense" case..

I'm simply saying that is intellectually dishonest.

How are you saying this is intellectually dishonest? Were you there? Did you witness what happened?

What if the guy was bat-shit crazy and wouldn't have stopped raping the daughter even if the Marine Corps Marching Band came in the door?

Hell, we know that if someone is crazy enough, even the cops can't get a guy to stop eating someone's face off.

You aren't just being intellectually dishonest here, you are deluding yourself by thinking you know way more than you actually do.

I think it's disgusting that you are so judgmental of the actions of a father who had to witness the sexual assault of his own 4 yr. old daughter. Where do you get off casting judgement on a man you don't know, in a time of absolutely soul-shattering crisis?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You hope you'll kill a man?

No, beat the shit out of him. I'm not sure I'd feel remorse if he died. I would not be thinking logically.

I would be driven murder someone if they raped/killed my family and got away with it on some technicality in court. To me it would be worth it because I'd have nothing to live for anyway.

TheNatural

My Member!
Guys this is one of those situations where our 'moral guidelines' can't help us. Only the people directly involved can come to a conclusion if it was the right thing to do or not.

If you think it's good that another human died and he should be rewarded for killing, you're a bit insane.

If you think that he should be punished because he killed to protect his daughter, you're a bit insane.

Good thing pedo child rapists don't qualify as human then.

In most jurisdictions murder doesn't require pre-meditation. That's usually what separates first and second degree murder.

By the letter of the law?

This is a pretty clear Manslaughter case.. that he probably would never be convicted of because of the subjective nature of him seeing his 4 year old being abused, and the fact that he did only punch the guy a few times.

But legally, killing someone in the heat of passion who didn't need to be killed for protection is manslaughter in most jurisdictions. But due to the specifics of the case; likely no charges will ever be filed.

Eh, the girl was in grave danger. It wouldn't be unreasonable for the father to assume that a 4yo getting raped can easily have their life in danger.

How are you saying this is intellectually dishonest? Were you there? Did you witness what happened?

This entire thread has come to the conclusion they "know" several things happened.

Like yourself.

I think it's disgusting that you are so judgmental of the actions of a father who had to witness the sexual assault of his own 4 yr. old daughter.

I think it's disgusting that you can't read.. and contradict yourself.

I am not judging the father.

I said repeatedly it was a justifiable kill.

You are also claiming to know what happen.. but.. oh.. I'm the one who isn't analyzing the 1,000 "what ifs"..

Getting the fuck out of this thread.... sad story... and GAF sucks for any conversation that is even remotely emotionally charged.

Eh, the girl was in grave danger. It wouldn't be unreasonable for the father to assume that a 4yo getting raped can easily have their life in danger.

Fair enough I guess.

Moving on personally.. in a thread full of "I'd have done much worse" posts I'm being fucking lambasted for talking about vengeance kills.. this place fucking SUCKS sometimes.

Cheech

as long as the "abuser" was actually abusing the daughter, then i support no charges as well.

Yeah. The key is when they have a child shrink interview the daughter. On the surface this looks pretty cut and dried. No 4 year old is going to be able to lie to protect her dad, so there's no question about whether or not he'll "get away" with anything. Gut check, though? You would have to want a guy dead pretty badly to unjustifiably beat him to death in front of your 4 year old. If I want to murder somebody, doing it in front of my kids is not really something that would cross my mind!!

No, beat the shit out of him. I'm not sure I'd feel remorse if he died. I would not be thinking logically.

I would be driven murder someone if they raped/killed my family and got away with it on some technicality in court. To me it would be worth it because I'd have nothing to live for anyway.

I understand where you're coming from. I think I would never want to kill a man. Can't say I wouldn't do it because I luckily haven't been in a remotely similar scenario.

And where did I say that is what would have happened?

People are claiming this is a "defense" case..

I'm simply saying that is intellectually dishonest. The rape probably would have ended simply from walking in the room.

Now respond to me, and then say something totally unrelated that I didn't imply, as if that's what I implied.

I think the fallacy of your assumption is that the second he entered, the situation was over. You don't know that. Even if he stopped the act of the rape, that doesn't mean the situation is over. He could panic from getting caught and it could turn violent. People do that when they feel trapped in a corner or realize they fucked up and their life might be over now. The daughter could be in danger or even the guy could be in danger.

pigeon

Banned
"Accidentally kill him and feel bad about it afterwards" seems like a reasonable threading of the needle here to me.

I think the fallacy of your assumption is that the second he entered, the situation was over. You don't know that. Even if he stopped the act of the rape, that doesn't mean the situation is over. He could panic from getting caught and it could turn violent. People do that when they feel trapped in a corner or realize they fucked up and their life might be over now. The daughter could be in danger or even the guy could be in danger.

Fair enough.

I'm moving on. I think it's pretty clear many people in this thread believed this was a vengeance kill.. they expressed how they'd enact their own vengeance in the same way.. not a single person discussing how it has anything to do with stopping the situation.. but enacting vengeance for "what someone did to their daughter" rhetorically..

Then I talk about it in that sense, and suddenly it's about "well what if she needed defending? did you think of that?"

Alright really done with the topic guys ;)

IceCold

I'd do the same if not worse. In situations like this you see red and your instincts kick it. To see someone do something like that to your child....initiate beast mode.

Maybe him rotting in jail would have been better. Other inmates would have had a field day with him. But it is what is it. This man won't bother any children anymore and that makes me happy.

Everyone in this thread has been okay with it so far.

I don't know anyone on Neogaf who is okay with sexual abuse. If they are, they need to be locked away.

No one's OK with sexual abuse. That's just stupid. The penalty for it, however, isn't death, which based on his reaction he didn't intend inflict upon the perpetrator. I'd be entirely OK with him getting off with no charges.

You are also claiming to know what happen.. but.. oh.. I'm the one who isn't analyzing the 1,000 "what ifs"..

Getting the fuck out of this thread.... sad story... and GAF sucks for any conversation that is even remotely emotionally charged.

I'm going by what's being reported. A man killed a criminal by punching him in the head. He didn't even have time or forethought to pick up a weapon, according to the information we have. He is "very remorseful" and didn't know the man would die, according to the information we have.

You are calling it a "vengeance kill," and assuming that the rape would have stopped and everything would have been fine if the father had just walked in the room.

RaGe_pt

I would have done the same. The guy deserved it. A person that does something like that, doesn't deserve to live...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah. The key is when they have a child shrink interview the daughter. On the surface this looks pretty cut and dried. No 4 year old is going to be able to lie to protect her dad, so there's no question about whether or not he'll "get away" with anything. Gut check, though? You would have to want a guy dead pretty badly to unjustifiably beat him to death in front of your 4 year old. If I want to murder somebody, doing it in front of my kids is not really something that would cross my mind!!

a normal person also wouldnt want to kill someone either. so whether or not you would "normally" kill someone in a certain situation is meaningless.

Narcosis

Not really a fan of vigilante justice, but in this particular type of case I have no issues at all with reading that the rapist is gone for good. I'm totally willing to believe that in the heat of the moment, with the surge of adrenaline and the effects that has on your mindstate, that one can end up being quite a bit more aggressive than intended in the conscious mind. This is, after all, one of the absolute worst of crimes a human can commit, and as such I can only imagine the outrage, anger, and horror that the dad must have felt when stumbling into that scene.

I just hope the girl, who already suffered enough at being molested, didn't see too much of the aftermath.

Sexual abuse in children can actually cause physical damage, so the father was defending her safety, both emotionally and physically.

I also don't think you're defending the guy who is dead, just to be clear.

dark_chris

Why are there people trying to find a definition to make the guy who killed him bad? Wtf is wrong with you people? He was molesting his daughter and caught him, and he killed him in that act. The police sided with him on this.
What is there to discuss other than "Awesome, he got what he deserved" which is true!

It wasn't murder or a crime what he did. Period. Even the police will let it go.

Kangi

No one's OK with sexual abuse. That's just stupid. The penalty for it, however, isn't death, which based on his reaction he didn't intend inflict upon the perpetrator. I'd be entirely OK with him getting off with no charges.
I think this is the part that some here are not paying enough attention to, and what is causing the disagreements in this thread. The father attacked in order to stop the abuser, and he unintentionally used lethal force (which in itself is understandable considering it's easy to cross that line when you're in such an emotional state). From what it seems, it wasn't intentional murder, nor an act of vengeance.

I'd be lying, though, if I said that I don't think the abuser deserved what happened to him.

I consider this a feel-good story.

I know these arguments on GAF are just circles because they actually require intellectual thought, but can everyone understand why saying things like this can be seen as bad?

I mean, feeling good about a story that involves child rape and someone dying...come on. It's ok if that's what you're into, but at least understand why someone would disagree with you.

Septimius

a normal person also wouldnt want to kill someone either. so whether or not you would "normally" kill someone in a certain situation is meaningless.
Seriously curious question; do you have a kid?

I don't, but I can certainly see that seeing someone raping my 4 year old daughter would make me do something I'd never done before. It would only be if I could see through the plumes of smoke, and realise that killing the man will make nothing different, and in fact, doing it would probably put added strain on my daughter, both in the experience and in potentially having a locked up father.

It's probably just about the worst thing ever, though. The fucker didn't "have it coming", and it's not morally defensible, but we shouldn't pretend like we wouldn't have done everything to protect our daughter in such a situation. I'm sure a part of our evolutionistic brains are set up to eliminate such factors from our lives, thus enabling us to rage and kill.

Cheech

I am not sure you're responding to the post you think you're responding to. That has nothing to do with the point I was making.

However, yes, I do believe most "normal" fathers would want serious harm to come to their daughter's molester. If you don't have a daughter, your opinion is nullified. Sorry. I have a five year old daughter, and can safely say I wouldn't lose any sleep if I accidentally killed the dude. If you can find a father of a young girl who disagrees, I will show you a world full of unicorns and Care Bears, because that doesn't fucking exist either.

I am not surprised at the direction this thread took.

It is inevitable when you're dealing with a huge forum that has giant differences in both maturity and knowledge of how the world works. My old man has been a social worker with Children's Protective Services for around 30 years, and I could tell you stories that would cause you not to sleep tonight. People would change their minds very quickly if only they know not only how prevalent this kind of shit is, but the kind of diseased things that people can do to children. It goes far, far beyond what most people can imagine.

It's a whole different ballgame when you have children of your own. When the father saw what was happening to his daughter, I can imagine he never punched anyone so hard in his life.

The amount of adrenaline going through his veins in that situation and the fact it was by an apparent family acquaintance, sent him into hulk mode that it probably took a few punches to end the child molester.

I am not sure you're responding to the post you think you're responding to. That has nothing to do with the point I was making.

However, yes, I do believe most "normal" fathers would want serious harm to come to their daughter's molester. If you don't have a daughter, your opinion is nullified. Sorry. I have a five year old daughter, and can safely say I wouldn't lose any sleep if I accidentally killed the dude. If you can find a father of a young girl who disagrees, I will show you a world full of unicorns and Care Bears, because that doesn't fucking exist either.

Amen. Forever alone gaf sometimes speaks on things they can't understand.

Septimius

It's a whole different ballgame when you have children of your own. When the father saw what was happening to his daughter, I can imagine he never punched anyone so hard in his life.

The amount of adrenaline going through his veins in that situation and the fact it was by an apparent family acquaintance, sent him into hulk mode that it probably took a few punches to end the child molester.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first punched killed the guy, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom