• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female only gaming event cancelled following online harassment

FoxSpirit

I'm pretty sure we can establish that there is a disproportionately high amount of trash people among folks who identity as "gamers"
See, that's the thing. Can we? I mean, A thousand active online dickheads can make it hell online for all involved, but you have how many active League, Overwatch and other assorted games regulars? At least in the tens of millions.

Let's say the active online dickhead community is 10k, people who actively harrass and dox and shit. And then we have 30 million people who at least spend 10 hours a week on non-casual/core games, which we will call gamers.

That would make a shithead rate of 0,03%, one in 3000. Okay, that's unrealistic, in my experience every normal person in 1000 is really shitty and since we assume gamers are worse it's one in 500. That would boost their numbers to what, almost 100k.
So you have a community of normal people with 0,2% being active shitheads. But since this amounts to 80k people who will likely be online to spread shit, you can't move as their target before getting a massive amount of shit flung your way.

Still, it's 0,2% so you can't say gamers are a "high amount of trash" type of community just from what you perceive on the net. As opposed to, let's say, the "gamergate community" which is a subset of the gaming community but is almost 100% pure trash.

Fuck you. The same shitty 16 year old agressive nerds shitting on everything and you go blame "gamers", as in all the people with a deep passion for playing videogames.

Sorry for the harsh words, but it's true. It's time us completely normal person gamers did something about those little (and sometimes older) shitheads instead of letting them smear us.

People with deep passions for playing video games can be adults and harassers.

During the Xbox 360 lifespan there was constant jokes about teenage boys saying the N-word on Call of Duty.

Call of Duty: 4 MW came out in 2007. It is 2017. These gamers are now in the early to mid 20's and this does not include those older than them with these terrible behaviors. Own it.

Platy

See, that's the thing. Can we? I mean, A thousand active online dickheads can make it hell online for all involved, but you have how many active League, Overwatch and other assorted games regulars? At least in the tens of millions.

Yes we can.

The amount of people who harass is incredibly bigger than the people who fight against it. Who complain when it happens. People who ignore are helping the harassers, not the harassed.

People who don't actually harass but use offsensive language when talking to other white males ? still part of the problem

Let's say the active online dickhead community is 10k, people who actively harrass and dox and shit. And then we have 30 million people who at least spend 10 hours a week on non-casual/core games, which we will call gamers.

That would make a shithead rate of 0,03%, one in 3000. Okay, that's unrealistic, in my experience every normal person in 1000 is really shitty and since we assume gamers are worse it's one in 500. That would boost their numbers to what, almost 100k.
So you have a community of normal people with 0,2% being active shitheads. But since this amounts to 80k people who will likely be online to spread shit, you can't move as their target before getting a massive amount of shit flung your way.

Still, it's 0,2% so you can't say gamers are a "high amount of trash" type of community just from what you perceive on the net. As opposed to, let's say, the "gamergate community" which is a subset of the gaming community but is almost 100% pure trash.

Yes. The gaming community therefore has no issues becauae less than 1% are actively shitty. Forget the percentage that are passively shitty. Also forget that the small percentage of the community weilds tons of power. Totally irrelevant

Joey Ravn

Banned
Thats false, the principle of equality covers any event, no matter the nature of it.

Again, the article that you cite only applies to a specific type of event. It explicitly says so in the name: Reglamento de Policía de Espectáculos públicos y Actividades Recreativas. This event was neither. Article 14 of the Constitution protects citizens from discrimination based on sex, age, religion, etc. in terms of the law. Otherwise, public restrooms for different sexes can't be legal.

That's an incredibly loaded and biased source. Look at his "conclusions":

Quizás no tienen mucho sentido los numerosos institutos de la mujer y entidades similares que han florecido como hongos, colocando a feministas a cargo del contribuyente, y criminalizando a los españoles autóctonos, mientras sería mucho más eficaz una ley de inmigración más severa.

There's no much sense in the existence of women's institutes and similar entities that have sprouted like shrooms [literally what it says], putting feminists in charge of the tax-payer and criminalizing native Spaniards, while it would be much more efficient to have more strict immigration laws.

Lets see how Overwatch players react to a black woman cosplaying as a white character.
The same cosplayer never dealt with racist attacks when she cosplayed as other white, non-videogame, pop culture characters.

Obviously not all "gamers" are bad, but there seems to be a pattern visible from many of these related incidents.

Yes we can.

The amount of people who harass is incredibly bigger than the people who fight against it. Who complain when it happens. People who ignore are helping the harassers, not the harassed.

People who don't actually harass but use offsensive language when talking to other white males ? still part of the problem

The Game Awards for last year gave the Trending Gamer award to a GG-peddler.

The year before they nominated a GG-peddler and someone that thinks normalizing Nazism is funny.

So please anyone in this thread tell me more about how it is not a gaming issue and just a subset.

Basically you have to make an event by invitation, thats the way of circunvent it, the moment you make an open event in a location it can be treated as a public space even if the place is private, for example, a football field is a private place, but when theres a football match it becomes a public event, as is for example, under the inspection of the police and under effect of spanish laws and citizens rights that cover the constitution. So you cant for example discriminate a woman or a man of entering a football field even if you are the owner.

I'm sort of grasping at straws here, but couldn't they claim they invited women in general? I mean they would have debates that would only interest women, they really can't set their target audience? Besides, that's a draconian law in any case, its existence doesn't mean it needs to be enforced and I doubt any judge in his rightful mind would see this event as illegal.

Dragner

Again, the article that you cite only applies to a specific type of event. It explicitly says so in the name: Reglamento de Policía de Espectáculos públicos y Actividades Recreativas. This event was neither. Article 14 of the Constitution protects citizens from discrimination based on sex, age, religion, etc. in terms of the law. Otherwise, public restrooms for different sexes can't be legal.

And again, the article I quoted covers everything, I dont know why are you picking the part you are interested in..

Here you have it, this is from Barcelona, the city where the event was taking place, maybe here you can see it better, Idk what to say anymore.

https://w30.bcn.cat/APPS/portaltram...?&stpid=20010001405&style=empresa&language=es

Budi

I'm not going into any specific numbers with this. But even if your assumptions were correct (which I highly doubt), it only counts for the active dickheads as you say. How about the bystanders, who don't call out the behaviour even if they don't personally participate in it. Those who don't care and stay in the middle so to speak. Those who accept it.

And still, what is the benefit in stopping someone from generalizing that gamers are trash. Why is this the thing we are debating in this thread, when sexism is more serious problem, no? How big percent of people think that gamers as whole are trash?

The year before they nominated a GG-peddler and someone that thinks normalizing Nazism is funny.

So please anyone in this thread tell me more about how it is not a gaming issue and just a subset.
To be fair, the person who won last year is a victim of constant online abuse too. And he really seems like someone more misguided and naive, eager to please than truly a bigot. From the very little I know of him. I'm aware of the "trying out different hats" comment or something like that. His message seems to be far from hateful, he seems to fit more on the bystander group that I mentioned above.

And the other person you are referring to also got support from Disney and Youtube. So not just gaming related. He is the biggest Youtuber, that's why he gets the attention and exposure.

Trending gamer is a popularity contest, nothing else.

FoxSpirit

Yes we can.

Here is the one question: how do you fight that online harassment. because the problem is, they are basically taking shots at people you can do fuckall to protect.

You can speak up, raise awareness, even point out the groups but at the same time it feels powerless. I mean, take GAF. We are on what I call the correct side, which respects people as equals in terms of race, gender and sexual orientation. But even if GAF bounded together to do something about this GamerGate stuff... what exactly can we do again?

Except saying they are wrong. Which does fuck all to protect people from getting harassed online.

Kurdel

Banned

From what I see in comics, it’s definitely not only a gaming issue.

Gamers were the only ones to mobilize so fast and mount harassment campaigns, almost as if it was a game to them, and this was just another raid.

Bahorel

Not to mention a gamer gate game was featured and normalized at the Microsoft press conference this year

MsVariant

From what I see in comics, it’s definitely not only a gaming issue.

Gamers were the only ones to mobilize so fast and mount harassment campaigns, almost as if it was a game to them, and this was just another raid.

It's an entitlement issue, related to toxic masculinity. In that a space has been perceived as for their group, and now a group of outsiders wants to be critical of their space. This is perceived as hostile to something they enjoy. Instead of wanting to help the space grow, they instead defend it as it is partly their identity that they feel is being criticized.

From what I see in comics, it's definitely not only a gaming issue.

Agree, if anything we get larger when we step back we notice that hobbies that overlap with gaming is just as toxic. It is a large cultural issue; we can't pretend that it is only a few bad apples.

If the idea of a female-only gaming event triggers you or gets under your skin, then you need to ask yourself why. It's a good opportunity to examine your worldview and explore whether it's time to be critical of your response.

canedaddy

I mean, take GAF. We are on what I call the correct side, which respects people as equals in terms of race, gender and sexual orientation.
Unfortunately that's not true at all. This thread is full of nastiness toward people based on their race and gender ("evil white men"), and that's seen as perfectly acceptable.

Joey Ravn

Banned
And again, the article I quoted covers everything, I dont know why are you picking the part you are interested in..

Here you have it, this is from Barcelona, the city where the event was taking place, maybe here you can see it better, Idk what to say anymore.

https://w30.bcn.cat/APPS/portaltram...?&stpid=20010001405&style=empresa&language=es

No I'm the one cherry-picking, sure. The title of the article you yourself quote, no less.

Whatever, dude. If this is the hill you decide to die on, so be it. Hopefully you're happy now that you've unmasked the mysandry and illegality that was motivating this event. Yikes.

FoxSpirit

Not to mention a gamer gate game was featured and normalized at the Microsoft press conference this year
Which is INSANE.
It would be like my national Islamic comittee normalizing ISIS. Which is a muslim problem. Yet doesn't make muslims trash.
Don't say that a radical border group is normal or a part of gaming. It's like making Nazis a regular political movement.

Okay, back on topic, how again can we fight the online harassment by those groups?

MazeHaze

Banned
Unfortunately that's not true at all. This thread is full of nastiness toward people based on their race and gender ("evil white men"), and that's seen as perfectly acceptable.
My eyes just rolled back so hard I almost passed out.

This thread is a shit show, some of you should be ashamed of yourselves, but you won't be because I'd say the chances of you changing your worldview from "feminazis are hypocrites" is very small.

Dragner

No I'm the one cherry-picking, sure. The title of the article you yourself quote, no less.

Whatever, dude. If this is the hill you decide to die on, so be it. Hopefully you're happy now that you've unmasked the mysandry and illegality that was motivating this event. Yikes.

I never said anything about mysandry. I dont why you react like that but whatever.

Budi

Which is INSANE.
It would be like my national Islamic comittee normalizing ISIS. Which is a muslim problem. Yet doesn't make muslims trash.
Don't say that a radical border group is normal or a part of gaming. It's like making Nazis a regular political movement.

Okay, back on topic, how again can we fight the online harassment by those groups?
Getting more people vocal about it is one thing I believe. Equal respect and acceptance should be spread. If you personally know a person who doesn't think of sexes as equal, or recognize the apparent problem tell them why and how they are wrong. Condemn and challenge their actions and attitudes even if you consider them a friend. It should be understood that it's not about having a right to different opinions and being bullheaded about it. How to treat others with respect really has nothing to do with opinions. So don't do it only online with strangers. Call it out wherever you see it, at parties, school, work etc. And even when online, try to be civil about it. Do your best in explaining things and having the discussion, Gaffers often have the attitude that the fight is already lost and these people can't be affected. As we can see in the blanket statements you criticized earlier. That indeed won't make anyone change their minds.

Anyone in the gaming community associated with gamer gate in any way should literally be defacto made an outsider from the gaming media. But you know that will never happen.

Tabs

I'm coming in late to the thread, but as a woman working in the game industry, this really saddens me :( It's bad enough that an event like this is necessary due to gender bias in the workplace (I love my job and even I have encountered this). But to be harassed when trying to create a safe place to talk and meet? Ugh, just sad all around.

Yes we can.

No it isn't. There are far more people who just play rather than talk shit. It's called the vocal minority.

Platy

Here is the one question: how do you fight that online harassment. because the problem is, they are basically taking shots at people you can do fuckall to protect.

You can speak up, raise awareness, even point out the groups but at the same time it feels powerless. I mean, take GAF. We are on what I call the correct side, which respects people as equals in terms of race, gender and sexual orientation. But even if GAF bounded together to do something about this GamerGate stuff... what exactly can we do again?

Except saying they are wrong. Which does fuck all to protect people from getting harassed online.

GAF is a much better place than others because when a hateful bigot appears he is treated like a hateful bigot.

One person saying does not mean much, but everyone mobbing on the person does work. And if you say that the amount is so little, it should be easy to change people's mind that EVERYONE saying "you are being a dick" work.

But then again, not bothering to deal with a harasser is pretty standard privilege

Edit:
No it isn't. There are far more people who just play rather than talk shit. It's called the vocal minority.

Allow me to translate what you said :
There are far more people who are not bothered by harassers and prefer to keep quiet playing rather than talk shit. It's called the vocal minority backed by those who listen in silence in agreement.

Budi

GAF is a much better place than others because when a hateful bigot appears he is treated like a hateful bigot.

One person saying does not mean much, but everyone mobbing on the person does work. And if you say that the amount is so little, it should be easy to change people's mind that EVERYONE saying "you are being a dick" work.

But then again, not bothering to deal with a harasser is pretty standard privilege
I mean piling and banning gets rid of the bigot on this forum, which I don't mind. Makes for a nicer place to visit. But just saying that you are horrible bigot most likely wont change the person unless they realize why they are considered horrible exactly and what are the consequences of that.

Ofcourse there are many, many inviduals who exactly know why and what, so they get kick out of it. They might even enjoy the piling when they see the reactions and seem to get people upset. I believe that the realization comes best through dialogue, but this only happens when people are willing to discuss. Ofcourse seeing the harmful results of someone's actions should be a wake up call, but through online people don't really get to see it. Strangers in the web seem so distant to them and no consideration goes into how words and actions might negatively affect others.

Mael

At this point the gaming community is more supportive of GG types than any kind of minority.
It's been shown time and again.
But apparently the real problem is that people are mean and want to take away their toys.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The gaming community has a serious issue. I'm always amazed people get more uptight and annoyed that someone makes said claim about the gaming community then actually getting upset about all the shit the gaming community constantly gets up to.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just read OP and am utterly disgusted and saddened that female events like these attract so much hate and negative energy by sad little vermin who are utterly lost themselves. This speaks volumes to our "maturity" and progress as a society. We find ourselves, still in the infancy stage it seems.

joecanada

there's a ton a bunch of people could do. this event wasn't online it was live. People could have volunteered to show up and support it, people could have voiced support for it, demanded it stay on , demand that the local government provide security.

online same thing, people could flood twitch streamers with positive messages, support, subs if they had the money to do so, offer to help with moderation, etc.

its actually not hard at all to think of many ways to stop this.

Mesoian

The gaming community has a serious issue. I'm always amazed people get more uptight and annoyed that someone makes said claim about the gaming community then actually getting upset about all the shit the gaming community constantly gets up to.

People have a lot of trouble seperating themselves from the poor elements, choosing to embolden themselves as "GAMERS!" regardless, and often times in spite of, all of the toxicity in their community. A lot of it stems from when gamers were seen as geeky social withdrawls that needed to stick together as they were the only ones they'd ever have. Now those people have grown up, and ignored most of the lessons you learn while growing because "all I need is video games, fuck everything else" and you get a lot of poeple who spend almost all their time trying to keep all those icky people who made fun of them as kids as far away from their hobby as possible, regardless of the changing gimes or their hobby gaining mass acceptance.

It's dumb. Don't define yourself by the toys you buy.

The discussion about the legality of this is interesting as a side topic (and by all means everyone feel free to continue discussing it), but please let's not act like legality = morality. Even assuming it was illegal, it should be obvious to everyone with half a critical mind that the spirit of the law is to protect minorities and oppressed groups from empowered groups, not the opposite. If anything, a conclusion of "this is illegal" should be immediately followed by "then the law should change".

WHITE KNIGHTS ASSSSEEEEMMBLE!

I want to say "it was nice knowing you", but it was really the opposite.

This definitely seems like something up GAFs territory. Didn't this event last year only have like a dozen people show up?

That's 12 gamer women who could interact with each other in a relaxed space free from horny guys butting in. Exactly what is your issue with this?

Gamers really are fragile

Eh, let's preach by example. Every time we throw a blanket over all "gamers" we're giving grounds to the scum of the earth to call us hypocrites when we in turn criticise blanket statements over women and minorities. If the organizer of this event thought that gamer culture is beyond redemption she would not go through with it to start with. Don't lose sight of the target.

NandoGip

Pretty much this.

A group of women wanted to have fun together and play some games. Is there a problem with like-minded people creating an event for themselves? No, there isnt. The male-inclusion argument is dumb as hell because 90% of these events are already male only.

Now, instead of people coming out and saying how abhorrent these harassers were, it's a bunch of dudes actually supporting them.

These are the same guys who get mad when "gamers" are painted in a bad light. They are so oblivious to see that they're contributing to the stereotype.

it's not hard to be supportive of underrepresented people in the world of your hobby: Just listen and respect their opinion.

Personally, the label "gamer" is gross to me because I don't want to be associated with these shut-in weirdos that have this hatred for women and people not like them.

stupei

1. If you want to talk about these women's issues so badly, maybe you should host your own event.

2. Why aren't guys invited too? We might want to talk about women's issues. Not all men are like that.

3. Okay, but why are all these panels about women's issues and not issues for all people? Why segregate like that? Aren't you oppressing yourselves?

Ad infinitum.

Eh, let's preach by example. Every time we throw a blanket over all "gamers" we're giving grounds to the scum of the earth to call us hypocrites when we in turn criticise blanket statements over women and minorities.

I'm not going to entertain a parallel between attacking minorities and women over wanting to have a place in gaming with literal fragile people who dont wanna hear their hobby has a huge issue. So I will lead by example with all the other posts I made in this thread where I clearly laid out my position. But naw I'm not gonna do the "both sides1!1!" shit and I encourage you to not either.

If the organizer of this event thought that gamer culture is beyond redemption she would not go through with it to start with. Don't lose sight of the target.

Really, the fact she is having this event is to say "hey we can belong and navigate this too". I never said gaming is a lost cause. I said they are fragile and everytime we have to explain why shit like this event is not a big deal it literally proves the point. The discussion we are having is reinforcing the point. This is about women in the community and industry having their stuff ruined. It isn't about #NotAllGamers

I love how ignorant these kinds of posts are, as if we live in a post-sexist world and the men of today aren't at all to blame for the sexist world we live in. The funny spin is coming up with the view that this event was laying blame on men at all, even though there's no evidence of ths but it sounds nice to fit into JeTmAn81's narrative about the fragile male persecution complex.
I think it's a mistake to lay the evils of the past at the feet of the people of today. True, we're all inexorably affected by what came before, but someone who is born into privilege didn't ask for that any more than someone who wasn't born with privilege. Yes, we all have to deal with where we're at and how we got there, but we need to stop short of blaming people for things they didn't do.

I believe that's where some of the backlash for things like this comes from. I don't think there would've been the same kind of negative response if it was a women-centric event, rather than a women-exclusive event. The exclusivity feels like laying blame on men for what other men have done. It's not exactly fair for men to feel that way in light of an event like this and the lack of acceptance and opportunity for women in games, but there it is.

It also doesn't excuse the fact that criticism in this case came in the form of vitriol and cruelty. The source of that behavior is another issue.

Top Bottom