• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

SoraNoKuni

So reading the opinions prove right my predictions, sigh.
I believe this will get even worse when it releases and honestly I believe the delay was just a contract or a marketing tactic to launch alongside PS4N/Slim and there is little to no polishing left to do.

Battle feels sluggish(Honestly only by watching gameplay videos is enough, though I tried platinum and yeah..).
I see some weird directive decisions in this 50 minute video but I can't be sure because the video is edited.
Also I can't help but be pessimist when the original vision and plan was to make a trilogy and now we have a single game.
And on top of that the game runs bad and looks bad.

P.S I won't deny I dislike Tabata and have 0 trust on him, business man at best.

Sylas

Thanks, I knew about Kingsglaive but I didn't know he was in charge of the game's localization as well. I haven't played any of the other games on that list but having the translation supervisor from Type-0 as the localization lead for FFXV isn't a very good thing. :(
It looks like he might also have been responsible for the translation of A Realm Reborn (before patches), which was just as bad. How was he even allowed to localize a high-profile game like XV? :/
Well now you're just objectively wrong! ARR had some of the more entertaining dialogue in a "JRPG" I've played in a long while. It established the world in a fantastic way.

I think the only way this game is gonna be saved technically is with a pc/ neo/ scorpio release...or delaying the thing another year and a half and essentially porting what they can to another engine. I think even at launch, the game is going to look rough and run rougher, and that wont help reviews for the game that square enix NEEDS to land. Lumnious on these consoles is very clearly an example of trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.

Koozek

that humanoid purple guys a flan?
See:
LOL. Those aren't Flans. The Flan that was analyzed through Ignis' Libra spell was standing somewhere else nearby. Those samurai monsters are "Numb Blades" from FFV:
6DExHm6.png

Flans in FFXV look like this:
VawCMys.jpg

EDIT: Wait, were you joking? :D I don't know anymore in FFXV threads
and I'm probably partly responsible for that too

Toth

why oh why can't i be this positive when it comes to just about anything? :) ...

Haha I'm just being rational. Yes, some of these graphics look rough but I also know I will probably be seeing things in motion or doing something in game that will keep me focused, rather than staring at a bush. However, I also really enjoyed LR despite the backgrounds and textures lacking polish because the game was so much fun to play.

Plus, I think Gamescom was really good for SE, far better than I had thought it would be once I learned of the delay (which still hurts but you live with it). Despite the delay, they showed everyone what the game is, all the systems in place, how it plays, and built up a lot of hype. I don't think they could have done so if there was no chapter 0-3 video TBH Everything else moving forward is to further stabilize the game and improve the graphics. With the manpower on this, I am sure we will see a really good product.

This perfect-as-a-picture PC culture is scary though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If this bombs, they need to get on their hands and knees and beg the Gooch to return.

In my dreams he comes back someday and knocks it out of the park, like Steve Jobs returning to Apple or George Miller returning to Mad Max.

They don't need Sakaguchi, they need a good direction. Sakaguchi made good AAA games even outside of Square(barring some missteps like blue dragon), but he is not all that interested in that type of environment anymore.

And generally speaking, i think the current SE would not mesh well with him after he's been free for a long time.

Personally speaking, i don't think FF15 is the make or break point, because it is a repurposed game from old assets and stray concepts from another game dating back 10 years being worked on by staff other than the ones who created the core concepts, on an engine that pretty much is horribad to make assets on for lower end hardware.

Tabata should get plenty of credit for making the best he could out of a situation that SE pretty much forced him into just to not waste the Versus assets or lose fan trust by cancelling Versus officially. I think Nomura got off easy going back to overseeing KH3 and working directly on FF7R, the actual thing people are waiting on. Tabata has probably been going through hell compared to him.

Ishida

Banned
Haha I'm just being rational. Yes, some of these graphics look rough but I also know I will probably be in motion or doing something in game that will keep me focused, rather than staring at a bush. However, I also really enjoyed LR despite the backgrounds and textures lacking polish.

Plus, I think Gamescom was really good for SE, far better than I had thought it would be once I learned of the delay (which still hurts but you live with it). Despite the delay, they showed everyone what the game is, all the systems in place, how it plays, and built up a lot of hype. I don't think they could have done so if there was no chapter 0-3 video TBH
Everything else moving forward is to further stabilize the game and improve the graphics. With the manpower on this, I am sure we will see a really good product.

The game got so many positive reactions it even won best RPG at Gamescom. :)

I think the only way this game is gonna be saved technically is with a pc/ neo/ scorpio release...or delaying the thing another year and a half and essentially porting what they can to another engine. I think even at launch, the game is going to look rough and run rougher, and that wont help reviews for the game that square enix NEEDS to land.

Well we can always hope they have a killer KH3 trailer the week after XV launch at PSX lol.

Toth

They don't need Sakaguchi, they need a good direction. Sakaguchi made good AAA games even outside of Square(barring some missteps like blue dragon), but he is not all that interested in that type of environment anymore.

And generally speaking, i think the current SE would not mesh well with him after he's been free for a long time.

Personally speaking, i don't think FF15 is the make or break point, because it is a repurposed game from old assets and stray concepts from another game dating back 10 years being worked on by staff other than the ones who created the core concepts, on an engine that pretty much is horribad to make assets on for lower end units on.

Tabata should get plenty of credit for making the best he could out of a situation that SE pretty much forced him into. I think Nomura got off easy going back to overseeing KH3 and working directly on FF7R, the actual thing people are waiting on.

Sakaguchi wrote and directed FF:Spirits Within. Now, truth be told, I liked the movie. But the fact he went this route for a major motion picture based upon a fantasy role playing series does make me question his ideas for the series moving forward.

He showed he could still do quality AAA RPGs with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey but since then (Last Story included), he has faltered.

Koozek

So reading the opinions prove right my predictions, sigh.
I believe this will get even worse when it releases and honestly I believe the delay was just a contract or a marketing tactic to launch alongside PS4N/Slim and there is little to no polishing left to do.

Battle feels sluggish(Honestly only by watching gameplay videos is enough, though I tried platinum and yeah..).
I see some weird directive decisions in this 50 minute video but I can't be sure because the video is edited.
Also I can't help but be pessimist when the original vision and plan was to make a trilogy and now we have a single game.
And on top of that the game runs bad and looks bad.

P.S I won't deny I dislike Tabata and have 0 trust on him, business man at best.

BhK59sG.png

If this bombs, they need to get on their hands and knees and beg the Gooch to return.

In my dreams he comes back someday and knocks it out of the park, like Steve Jobs returning to Apple or George Miller returning to Mad Max.

KET1NFT.png

Byvar

Well now you're just objectively wrong! ARR had some of the more entertaining dialogue in a "JRPG" I've played in a long while. It established the world in a fantastic way.
I hope I'm wrong. I agree that ARR's dialogue is not bad, and what I've heard from the expansions is better. But I also heard from various players that the translation and voice work of the base game (2.0) was patched later on as there were some pretty bad parts on release.
In any case, even if he wasn't responsible for that, the point still stands that the localization team doesn't seem to have done such a good job on FFXV.

Inuhanyou

Sakaguchi wrote and directed FF:Spirits Within. Now, truth be told, I liked the movie. But the fact he went this route for a major motion picture based upon a fantasy role playing series does make me question his ideas for the series moving forward.

He showed he could still do quality AAA RPGs with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey but since then (Last Story included), he has faltered.

I'm just talking about JRPG's, not movies :p

Last Story and Lost Odyssey are the types of games atmosphere and story wise i'd like to see return.

Going through the scenarios of Lost Oddysey like with Kaim's dead lover, having to manually set up the funeral felt so immersive.

Inuhanyou

The cross gen is too strong in this I think. Not even Neo can save us from the sprite grass.

None of these assets are from Versus, its all from scratch. The problem is not cross generation. Luminous requires a high end PC to get good results due to its pipeline only being comprised of high end effects that require a lot of juice.

If your making something that has to look good on PS4 on this engine for example, its going to be tough, and only gets tougher the lower you go until the engine won't even run.

Its not particularly optimized well for scalability's sake, hence why the cuts they are making to get the game into a playable shape are so striking.

ethomaz

Banned
You know what I'd really like?

I'd like a new sprite-based Final Fantasy. Nothing complicated, no huge budget needed. Take a team of 10 people, give them a year and a half, and see what they can do.

Ala Mega Man 9 or that Sonic Mania.

Doesn't need to be much more than a Final Fantasy V type of experience. Straightforward, 4 crystals, chocobos, moogles, ATB, World Map, etc. Sell it on PC, 3DS, and Vita.

I would absolutely love that.
I will love that.

Do that right now SE.

Rising_Hei

I expect a DOOM with this game.
I don't mean that the game will cause a doom, but that, like the game DOOM, it is and will be shitted with nonstop until it releases, and then everyone will see how good it is with its own weight.

Seriously, what happens with some games like this one, happens to almost everything, not just games, books, movies, music....... people, it's just tiresome, but that's very offtopic lol.

I'm just talking about JRPG's, not movies :p

Last Story and Lost Odyssey are the types of games atmosphere and story wise i'd like to see return.

Going through the scenarios of Lost Oddysey like with Kaim's dead lover, having to manually set up the funeral felt so immersive.
LO was a drag of a game, everything about it was forced and unnatural (the story, even more), and i'm telling this having played it without preconcibed ideas, but there are as much tastes as there are people, i guess.

Ishida

Banned
LO was a drag of a game, everything about it was forced and unnatural (the story, even more), and i'm telling this having played it without preconcibed ideas, but there are as much tastes as there are people, i guess.

Last Odyssey was ok. The Last Story was boring beyond belief, though.

Ishida

Banned
As of now, the only thing I REALLY want for this game is for every real-time cutscene to use the current time of day.

For example, that scene with Leviathan and Luna? I want that if you get to that point of the game at night, that scene plays at night. No artificial daylight speedups to set the scene to a default time of day.

I want that Leviathan boss battle at night. :)

Inuhanyou

As of now, the only thing I REALLY want for this game is for every real-time cutscene to use the current time of day.

For example, that scene with Leviathan and Luna? I want that if you get to that point of the game at night, that scene plays at night. No artificial daylight speedups to set the scene to a default time of day.

I want that Leviathan boss battle at night. :)

they can't account for lighting conditions or camera work in that case though, it may be that things aren't lit up right for you to see what's going on in certain scenarios, or may be presented unflattering on the environment. A lot of these cutscenes are very big, and i doubt they can account for every single detail. So i think they will either cut dynamic time of day for event scenes, or use in engine prerendered assets

Toth

Last Odyssey was ok. The Last Story was boring beyond belief, though.

LO was really good aside from a rather generic villain. I agree with Last Story. So much potential, so very little realized world. If it was a global tale, man, that would have been a great adventure...

Ydelnae

I think story will only be sparse if you keep doing sidequests, fetch quests and exploring before advancing to the next main quest. From what we saw in the 50 min video, the story seems to keep going forward at a nice pace. While I played TW3, I kept doing a bunch of sidequests and exploring after each main mission and in 20 hours "nothing" really happened main story wise.

But I also think the game will draw some narrative comparisons to MGSV and FFV.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think story will only be sparse if you keep doing sidequests, fetch quests and exploring before advancing to the next main quest. From what we saw in the 50 min video, the story seems to keep going forward at a nice pace. While I played TW3, I kept doing a bunch of sidequests and exploring after each main mission and in 20 hours "nothing" really happened main story wise.

But I also think the game will draw some narrative comparisons to MGSV and FFV.
Nothing happens in the main quest but the side missions are so well written in TW3 that it encourages the player to do them, they're also quite interested, with monster hunts, races, etc.

Ishida

Banned
While I played TW3, I kept doing a bunch of sidequests and exploring after each main mission and in 20 hours "nothing" really happened main story wise.

Agreed completely. Except that I actually got extremely bored of it by the time I reached the Bloody Baron storyline and abandoned it. :/

Inuhanyou

Cindy is disgusting as a concept. She's not even hot to look at, thus doesn't fulfill clear her purpose in the game in the first place. Hey SE, there's more to making banging ladies in video games than putting them in try hard outfits and having them say "yall" and "paw paw" 9 billion times in horrible overdone accents.

They obviously wanted the player to leer at Cindy via camera placement, but their intent failed cause i'm not leerin.

Gbraga

I'm not a fan of Cidney's design either, tbh. I hope when the PC version comes out someone replaces her for Gladio, just so we can have those same gifs with a better model.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Cindy is disgusting as a concept. She's not even hot to look at, thus doesn't fulfill clear her purpose in the game in the first place. Hey SE, there's more to making banging ladies in video games than putting them in try hard outfits and having them say "yall" and "paw paw" 9 billion times in horrible overdone accents.

They obviously wanted the player to leer at Cindy via camera placement, but their intent failed cause i'm not leerin.

Uhhhhhhhhh

mugwhump

Sounds like a game that will be made significantly better by the release of a "goty edition" or something a year down the line.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Cidney is actually less offensive than Quiet, who was last year's barely clothed waifu.

Personally, like Quiet, I think she'd look really cool with more clothes on.

Speak for yourself! I think she's gorgeous. :3
She's 3D, though. Gross 😒
her voice ruins any appeal she could have for me
Sounds like a game that will be made significantly better by the release of a "goty edition" or something a year down the line.
Or a
better
Director's cut. Seems like the game has poor "editing" or at least pacing on top of some odd design choices.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That people are moaning about the graphics kinds blows my mind; the one certainty I have about this game is that it will frequently look stunning. I say frequently because once a certain scope is reached it becomes extraordinarily difficult to ensure everything looks amazing from every angle under every lighting condition.

I just hate the way people seem hellbent on ignoring the positive balance in order to fixate on the negative points, seems so self-defeating to me.

That people are moaning about the graphics kinds blows my mind; the one certainty I have about this game is that it will frequently look stunning. I say frequently because once a certain scope is reached it becomes extraordinarily difficult to ensure everything looks amazing from every angle under every lighting condition.

I just hate the way people seem hellbent on ignoring the positive balance in order to fixate on the negative points, seems so self-defeating to me.

It has very high quality lighting, animations, and character models. (not to mention a good art style), but these things are all hindered by really bad IQ. You fix the IQ in this game and its among the best looking open world games on the PS4.

chefbags

So next ATR is next Wednesday correct?

Hopefully there will be some concerns answered from Tabata. I know ffxv is at pax west and I read that Tabata will be there too.

Reading the past interviews I think tgs is where we'll get an updated patch build. Since the second month they said will be fixing balance issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Mik317

tbf..the game looks rough in some spots. Again I don't think its the end of the world (like it doesn't look worst than Xenoblade X did at times, and that was my GOTY last year),,,but lets be real, it looks really bad at times and FF generally is top of the line. XIII for example still looks pretty good today.

Inuhanyou

Uhhhhhhhhh

What's wrong? If they are going to design a clearly sexualized character with no other redeeming traits or actual point in the game, atleast do the job right.

As it stands now, they have this girl dressed up in a skimpy outfit, trying as hard as they can with zoom ins on her butt and breasts complete with tan lines going up to her panty area, and all i can think about is how she should put some more practical clothes for her job description on and stop acting like such an offensive stereotype of southerners.

Eh I dunno, she's pretty fucking fetishtastic to me. Obviously I don't think such a cartoonishly sexualized character should be in such an ostensibly serious game, but just as eye candy I'm not complaining.

...that fucking fake ass Southern drawl though; now that shit is offensive to me.

Some more tasteful impressions of Cindy:

tumblr_nljn9rU19O1shmei5o1_500.gif

tumblr_nnohbeRTwh1tb6290o1_400.gif

tumblr_nlp7u57n441ri7rfho1_500.gif

As hot as she is, Tabatha was totally full of shit when he went all "no she's not someone you'd be ashamed of showing to your mother!"

Like personally I find the outfitting a bit silly (thougu not saying people who find it problematic are wrong), it's that she's nothing but a sex object that's profoundly disappointing to me. Characters like Tifa and Lulu managed to be both attractive and have a lot of interiority to their characters. I highly doubt there's going to be any compelling character dialogue coming out of Cindy's mouth.

KupoNut

So next ATR is next Wednesday correct?

Hopefully there will be some concerns answered from Tabata. I know ffxv is at pax west and I read that Tabata will be there too.

Reading the past interviews I think tgs is where we'll get an updated patch build. Since the second month they said will be fixing balance issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

They really shouldn't show it too much until late October/early November or so... and definitely not go too much into detail about the latter part of the game.

Inuhanyou

Eh I dunno, she's pretty fucking fetishtastic to me. Obviously I don't think such a cartoonishly sexualized character should be in such an ostensibly serious game, but just as eye candy I'm not complaining.

...that fucking fake ass Southern drawl though; now that shit is offensive to me.

As hot as she is, Tabatha was totally full of shit when he went all "no she's not someone you'd be ashamed of showing to your mother!"

Like personally I find the outfitting a bit silly (thougu not saying people who find it problematic are wrong), it's that she's nothing but a sex object that's profoundly disappointing to me. Characters like Tifa and Lulu managed to be both attractive and have a lot of interiority to their characters. I highly doubt there's going to be any compelling character dialogue coming out of Cindy's mouth.

Well there is the rub isn't it? They had no other ideas in mind when they put her on the car via DLC, or in the VR episode, or when first introducing her, and that's very sad, and its worse because her design is just embarrassing, and not titillating at all.

Tifa is my favorite FF character of all time bar none, and the difference between a character like Cindy and a character like Tifa, despite both of their outward designs being based on being physically attractive, is like comparing fire to ice

Turin

Banned
Top Bottom