• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

I don't get how them wanting to fix/improve a small part of the game (small in terms of how much of the overall game it is in terms of time the player spends on it) makes this a mess. People are really overreacting. They shipped a completed game that had issues and as a thank you those who bought it they have decided to make improvements to the game.

Did you see all the listed additions? This goes beyond patching ch 13

So in chapter 6 right now, should I just stop playing until the update ? :/

No update is going to fix this game, just adding a scene here or there doesn't erase the mess. For everyone expecting these patches to be the savior I got bad news for you.

Second half is linear mess with no exploration and that won't be fixed, plus the dozen of other things that happen off screen.. hell, the Levi fight is a goddamn mistake.

Tyaren

What if they would at least add info about the plot in the Archives section of the main menu, which is unlocked more and more after each chapter? Similar to how FFXIII handled this.
I know, this is not a real fix but at least it is better than nothing for now. And it could be done fairly quickly.
Hardly anyone actually understood the revelations of the last couple of chapters. But if you read them up online or in the guide book they are simple enough and make sense. You can explain the story of FFXV perfectly on just one single sheet of paper. You just have to actually tell it.

breakfuss

mess.
tumblr_o4i2haSZ201ql5yr7o1_500.gif

The gaming equivalent of The Life of Pablo? Eeeek!

Lmfao y'all are crazy, laughing too hard right now. Now I'm curious about this chapter but I doubt I'll get to it before it's fixed.

I'm not gonna stop playing the game just because of the updates, nor will I be outraged that they're patching it. The game is obviously a mess, but it's a beautiful mess in its own right and you can suss out a lot of fun and some really nice moments.

I don't know why this attitude prevails that if major patches are coming, it's an admission that it shipped unfinished and therefore is worse than if they had just not done anything at all. And to be clear, the story is a goddamned mess.

I don't get how them wanting to fix/improve a small part of the game (small in terms of how much of the overall game it is in terms of time the player spends on it) makes this a mess. People are really overreacting. They shipped a completed game that had issues and as a thank you those who bought it they have decided to make improvements to the game.

It's not completed. Did you even play the same game?! This is the problem, you're allowing them to get away with things. It's not as bad as SFV but it might as well be up there. For the time this game has even been planned it deserves the harshest criticism as far as I am concerned.

Edgeward

I guess I will just continue to do other stuff and sidequest things and prolong myself getting to chapter 13. Only on chapter 3 anyway, 20 hours in. lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not completed. Did you even play the same game?! This is the problem, you're allowing them to get away with things. It's not as bad as SFV but it might as well be up there. For the time this game has even been planned it deserves the harshest criticism as far as I am concerned.

The game was essentially rebooted 4 years ago or so. I seem to recall positive reviews by users and critics... now they are announcing even more support and there is a revolt?!?

If there wasn't so much nostalgia in the mix the game would have been savaged in reviews especially for the battle system and vapid overworld.

For the most part exploring is barely rewarding.

But hey you can listen to all your final fantasy tunes and reminisce about the good ol days.

Finished the story already and intend to get the platinum trophy, but I had always planned on double dipping for PC before the game launched. The second half of the game killed that idea, but if they can genuinely pull this off and create a great game with patches, I'll be on board. I need a lot more though, and I doubt I'll get what I'm after. I don't need open world everywhere, but I do need more explorable locations around Altissia and Tenebrae at least. Adding cutscenes might help the story, but this whole second half needs gameplay too. Shiva section especially.

Nerokis

So basically the game needed that extra year like some of us said. Appreciate they recognise the fault and are actively fixing it, but just further adds to the embarrassment. Should have waited a year or released episodically!

Sounds like a lot of people are digging the game quite a bit. Having the capacity to significantly improve post-launch doesn't mean that a delay is warranted all the time. There's a point of diminishing returns, and how a game changes once it's in the wild is not necessarily how it would change were it to remain in a development bubble. Plus...budgets, and other priorities.

I'm all about the "it's ready when it's done" philosophy, but sometimes compromises are necessary.

Also, this general response to post-launch support is weird to me. Everything I said above is applicable even to games much less flawed than FFXV. At some point, people have to accept that the release version of a game might end up being notably inferior to a later version.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The game was essentially rebooted 4 years ago or so. I seem to recall positive reviews by users and critics... now they are announcing even more support and there is a revolt?!?

A revolt would require GAF to get off its collective ass and actually do something. So that's immediately off the table.

Koodo

Banned
And this game is critically acclaimed ? Welcome to 2016 when a game that is a mess can get 9/10 as long as it's marketed well enough
It's teetering out of the acclaimed range, the European publications haven't been afraid to assign scores that match the review body.

Golnei

Well of course, how is the online expansion going to work if everyone is Noctis? This isn't Kingdom Hearts!

Port over the FFXIV character creation and let me import my character so I can be a cat boy king

The fact that they considered an avatar system is interesting for what it implies about the nature of the multiplayer - I had considered them just using versions of the party members, since they'd have been made playable through the DLC episodes. Something like BBS' Mirage Arena, using multiple instances of a small defined cast.

An avatar might suggest that your multiplayer character has some significant difference from what's available to you in the regular game - maybe a restricted overall moveset that'd remove aspects that could be unbalanced with multiple players, like the warping mechanic. Or maybe redistributing the existing weapons and techs across Noctis and the party into new multiplayer-only classes.

Mario007

You know what would have been very cool? Playing the complete game on release. Not after finishing it.

I'm not gonna play it again.
You did play the complete game. They're just adding more stuff or changing stuff people weren't happy with.
This is honestly what patching should be about. Fixing what people don't like.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People complain FFXV is flawed.

SE promises to fix that flaw.

People are angry because the game is a mess.

?????

See why I do not trust that Hello games apologising the way people are asking them to, thus opening themselves to lawsuits, while also keeping on working on improvements would satiate their anger and bloodlust ;)?

Paz

I completely missed this at XIII's launch because I don't read reviews for games I'm already buying but holy crap these reviews are insane, it's almost near unanimous love with tons of 8s, 9s, 10s.

FFXIII was so bad it almost killed Final Fantasy as a thing I enjoy, I can't reconcile that with these reviews.

Back on topic I'm still doing tons of sidequest content and now considering abstaining from story until the short term patches are out... hmmm.

You did play the complete game. They're just adding more stuff or changing stuff people weren't happy with.

No, patching should be about making fixes and bugs, not adding cutscenes that where obviously missing from your game.

Is a SP experience, with a start and an ending, once you experience that, is done. Adding stuff after that is not what patching should be about.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

?????
Realistically it is impossible to fix most of the complaints people have with post release patches. Beyond that, people have already played and experienced FFXV. Just because a developer is technically capable of patching a game post launch does not really mean it will yield much to the player. FFXV is a single player experience that many players will have completed before these patches even find their way into the game. So SE is admitting fault by agreeing to fix these changes, but is not really in a place to right the experience that many already had when they've already moved on from the game.

HotHamBoy

I'm seriously confused. The OT seems pretty happy, but in here you'd think this game killed some people's dogs. I'm still really early in the game and I'm confused about what this could mean, and the extreme responses really aren't helping.

The OT is much more positive on the game than the Spoiler Thread is.

Mainly because a lot of people in the OT haven't finished the game yet.

You know what would have been very cool? Playing the complete game on release. Not after finishing it.

EXACTLY. This isn't a multiplayer game where steady improvements go towards maintaining a strong playerbase.

You finish this game and you are done with it, especially if you had as many problems with it as a lot of us do.

xk0sm0sx

Lol this kind of shit is the reason why I refuse to get many modern games until I am damn sure they are done supporting it.
When I play through a game for the first time it better have all it's features completed.

Square2015

Oh, interesting. Do you have a link handy to the predictions? Are they subpar, I take it?

Check the m-create threads. Yeah they're estimating like 500k-700k. The UK debut for XV was ~125,000 I believe. XIII was like ~185,000 and in less time.

My local Gamestop only had 100 preorders (USA) the same number they had for the X|X-2 HD remaster (which debuted what less than 100k week1). And I counted only 35 showing up for the midnight launch (of XV).

I'm calling it, XV didn't break 1m first week in NA despite having a longer week of availablility.

I got this game last week and I still haven't played it. I don't know now if I should or not lol. Fuck it, maybe I will. Who knows when this update drops, by then we'll probably be having other games releasing.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Not the story, no. I expected to play the game with the story locked. For good or bad. This isn't like bug or performance fixes that we are used to. I bought the game to play it and complete it, not to act as beta tester and story editor. If you want to edit the story do it before the game ships or live with what you shipped

Elios83

No game is "complete" at launch anymore.
Patches and DLCs will continue to improve the experience and add contents for a long time after launch.
A game is complete when active development is over, that is not happening anymore at launch.
So you either wait 1 to 2 years after launch to get the definitive experience or you accept that the game will be constantly improved and you can also return to it in the future.

Mario007

No, patching should be about making fixes and bugs, not adding cutscenes that where obviously missing from your game.
Why not though? Why are you angry that they're giving you extra stuff for free.

I'd rather they fix the things people didn't like about this game than waiting for the next FF installment.

I..really liked the Leviathan fight? Why do people hate it again? I can't keep up on all the reasons people have for this game being a mess.

HotHamBoy

No game is "complete" at launch anymore.
Patches and DLCs will continue to improve the experience and add contents for a long time after launch.
A game is complete when active development is over, that is not happening anymore at launch.
So you either wait 1 to 2 years after launch the get the definitive experience or you accept that the game will be constantly improved and you can also return to it in the future.

The situation here is a lot different than it is for most games, though.

I..really liked the Leviathan fight? Why do people hate it again? I can't keep up on all the reasons people have for this game being a mess.

It's not your fault, there are a whole lot of them and most are valid.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I completely missed this at XIII's launch because I don't read reviews for games I'm already buying but holy crap these reviews are insane, it's almost near unanimous love with tons of 8s, 9s, 10s.

FFXIII was so bad it almost killed Final Fantasy as a thing I enjoy, I can't reconcile that with these reviews.
Final Fantasy was a series that used to get guaranteed reviews >=9. It's not like some of the sheen hasn't worn off.

HeelPower

I wonder if I should get to chapter 13 now before it gets patched.

Could it be in the "so bad its awesomely memorable" category? 😆😆😂

Hysteria

?????

With this particular game, people were ready to hate on it regardless, lets be honest.

Though now with the flaws, its easier to sit and meditate on how big of a 'disappointment' it is when its clear that some (not all) fans were going to shit on it anyway.

I gave it a fair chance and I see the flaws.
I'm happy they're gonna fix them.

Top Bottom