• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa Switch will be reportedly based off the PS3/360 versions

Audioboxer

No it's not, unless you're joking :)

PS3 was often sub 720p unless everyone's forgotten that. I said in another topic 900p in 2017 is pretty bad, but it's not closer to PS3 and 360. The XB1 is still regularly 900p.

EA doing a last gen port is just the height of a number of reasons coming together that Nintendo yet again have done fuck all to make 3rd parties care.

Jesus christ. How does this happen, Nintendo?

I don't think Nintendo has proven to be a very profitable venture for EA for like, 3 generations now? And they aren't showing anything that tells a third party developer - "For all this extra hard work for developing on this platform, you are bound to get more return out of it then PS4 or XBoxOne!"

Gurish

PS3 was often sub 720p unless everyone's forgotten that. I said in another topic 900p in 2017 is pretty bad, but it's not closer to PS3 and 360. The XB1 is still regularly 900p.

EA doing a last gen port is just the height of a number of reasons coming together that Nintendo yet again have done fuck all to make 3rd parties care.

Resolution is not everything when talking about specs, let's see how an XB1 launch game like Ryse would run on the Switch, you can be sure it won't look like Ryse on XB1 only at a little lower resolution than 900P.

EDarkness

I don't think Nintendo has proven to be a very profitable venture for EA for like, 3 generations now? And they aren't showing anything that tells a third party developer - "For all this extra hard work for developing on this platform, you are bound to get more return out of it then PS4 or XBoxOne!"

EA made a crapton of money on the Wii. I remember them releasing an awesome version of Tiger Woods that went on to sell a lot. It wasn't until the Wii U and their "Unprecedented" relationship that things went sour. Whatever happened then they haven't reconciled fully. Hopefully they'll work that out at some point.

As for the NS' power...without details it's hard to know where it falls, but it's based off the Tegra X1 which is definitely closer to the Xbox One than it is to the Wii U/PS3/360. There's no point in even debating this really since we don't know how the SoC was customized by Nintendo.

Audioboxer

Resolution is not everything in power, let's see how an XB1 launch game like Ryse would run on the Switch, you can be sure it won't look like Ryse on XB1 only at a little lower resolution than 900P.

True, but I think saying closer to PS3 and XB1 has some folks forgetting a little about how those two consoles outputted. I do agree its not good enough, but it's the compromise Nintendo take when like last gen they obsess over gimmicky concepts instead of just doing a normal home console.

Cuburt

It has nothing to do with power and everything to do with not investing a lot into support.

Just look at Ultra Street Fighter 2 or Super Bomberman R. Low cost, low risk support.

Old ass ports say nothing about the power of the console so why do people keep jumping to these ignorant conclusions?

People couldn't even admit that the Wii U was more powerful or at least on par with the PS3/360 due to crappy ports and now people are once again trying to equate weak ports to the power of the Switch being on par with the Wii U. The hit job on Nintendo is always blatant and doesn't get any less frustrating.

MDX

I still don't see how this follows. Again, this is still ultimately a Nintendo issue, because for EA it could make perfect business sense.

Let's say I'm EA. If I'm unsure that the Nintendo Switch is a valuable addition to the market, and in fact fear it may meet with a pretty mediocre market reaction, why would I waste time, money and human resources porting my marquee engines to the system? If I'm unsure that Nintendo consoles even have a market for my games, given how many Nintendo fans talk about third party games and how Nintendo itself has cultivated (or rather not cultivated) third party development, how would it be forward thinking to port Frostbite over? How do you know the business sense in the maneuver if you don't know anything about the cost of porting Frostbite or EA's internal analysis and projections for the money they could make from the system? It's not like this is something they would decided to do just to muck with Nintendo, they would have done it after serious CBA.

Of course they would, EA and Nintendo are competitors !
With the only difference that Nintendo manufactures their own hardware.
EA uses the hardware of others (SONY & MS) to compete against Nintendo software.

Just imagine if Activision decides to make consoles, how quick do you think EA will want to put their software on Activision's console?

Everybody knows a Nintendo console with strong first party and third party support would make life very difficult for any console maker. EA, or any other major third party PUBLISHER, want to be in a situation where they are dependent on Nintendo, because Nintendo can make them quickly irrelevant by directly competing against them on their own platform. Just like Microsoft did back in the day against Netscape, WordPerfect, etc.

Its the major third parties that kept MS and Sony afloat during the Wii era. If they would have fully backed the Wii with their biggest titles, one or both of those console makers would have bowed out of the video game business. Thats why the current generation you literally have twin consoles all designed for third party publishers. EA and other major publishers want console options because they are parasites.

Nintendo knows this too, that's why they have spent the last few years consolidating their development resources with a plan to support future platforms on their own with indies and smaller third party publishers.

So don't expect full third party support from major publishers because of competition and not simply hardware power, which is a myopic reason people still argue over.

Ekid

Nah it's closer to the PS4 and XB1 lol. It's just a bit annoying that 3rd parties are seemingly on board to offer crappy last gen ports as always, and then probably dump Switch support altogether.

I'm don't think so. Switch's games will always have to be developed for tablet mode first and the Switch is very likely closer to 360/PS3/WiiU than PS4/X1 when not docked.

Gurish

It has nothing to do with power and everything to do with not investing a lot into support.

Just look at Ultra Street Fighter 2 or Super Bomberman R. Low cost, low risk support.

Old ass ports say nothing about the power of the console so why do people keep jumping to these ignorant conclusions?

People couldn't even admit that the Wii U was more powerful or at least on par with the PS3/360 due to crappy ports and now people are once again trying to equate weak ports to the power of the Switch being on par with the Wii U. The hit job on Nintendo is always blatant and doesn't get any less frustrating.

Don't think anyone said Switch is as powerful as the WiiU.

We are basing our power estimation based on the rumored specs and how Zelda runs in comparison to the WiiU, I'd be surprised if the console is not an enhanced WiiU technically.

UberTag

...and that's the only FIFA the Switch will ever be getting.
They might come out with a new one in 2018 that's the exact same game with a roster reskin for $59. I mean, so long as PS3 AND X360 are getting that treatment, why not?
Vita got full-priced re-releases of the same FIFA game for years.

It's a shame if the Switch can't run the frostbite engine because the Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare series would have been a good fit for the Switch, but I think those are frostbite too.

EA uses the hardware of others (SONY & MS) to compete against Nintendo software.

Just imagine if Activision decides to make consoles, how quick do you think EA will want to put their software on Activision's console?

Everybody knows a Nintendo console with strong first party and third party support would make life very difficult for any console maker. EA, or any other major third party PUBLISHER, want to be in a situation where they are dependent on Nintendo, because Nintendo can make them quickly irrelevant by directly competing against them on their own platform. Just like Microsoft did back in the day against Netscape, WordPerfect, etc.

Its the major third parties that kept MS and Sony afloat during the Wii era. If they would have fully backed the Wii with their biggest titles, one or both of those console makers would have bowed out of the video game business. Thats why the current generation you literally have twin consoles all designed for third party publishers. EA and other major publishers want console options because they are parasites.

Nintendo knows this too, that's why they have spent the last few years consolidating their development resources with a plan to support future platforms on their own with indies and smaller third party publishers.

So don't expect full third party support from major publishers because of competition and not simply hardware power, which is a myopic reason people still argue over.

Riiight, that's what's happening. Everyone is out to get Nintendo out of the Video Games business because they are afraid of them taking over. Suuuure.

This has been a pretty entertaining past couple days here.

EDarkness

We are basing our power estimation based on the rumored specs and how Zelda runs in comparison to the WiiU, I'd be surprised if the console is not an enhanced WiiU technically.

I'm pretty sure games are designed in console mode first, then the system scales things down when it's removed from the dock. At least if looking at the UE4 information that leaked a few weeks ago. Console first. Portable second.

Taker34

Banned

So you're telling me that Nintendo would compete against EA (FIFA, Madden, Star Wars, Battlefield, NFS) and Activision (WoW, Call of Duty, Destiny, Overwatch, Diablo)? While they're totally fine with supporting Sony and MS who have first party titles (aka. direct software competition) like Halo, God of War, Gears of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Forza, Killzone etc... seriously? Third parties have a history of more or less abandoning Nintendo due to them not wanting to support outdated hardware, so they can push their new engines, tech and games. How did the Wii not get enough third party support? Almost every major third party franchise had regular releases on that console.

The_Lump

Banned
Thanks for the info. I agree, let's not get carried away prematurely.

Haha, 12 pages of foaming.

This entire last day on GAF has just been one big overreaction. But that's what happens when you don't nail your reveal. They have A LOT of work to do between now and launch.

On the plus side, outside in the real world it seems to be getting a decent reception, and the press are being very positive with hands on reviews of the hardware.

The_Lump

Banned

Technically, that's impossible. WiiU could never be "enhanced" to reduce its power consumption to a portable friendly TDP.

I'm don't think so. Switch's games will always have to be developed for tablet mode first and the Switch is very likely closer to 360/PS3/WiiU than PS4/X1 when not docked.

Not on par. Wii U's GPU was more powerfull than PS3/360. NFS: Most Wanted ran at 1080p with PC assets vs 720p and lower textures on last gen.

Wii U received PS3/360 ports for the most part....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1sv61PP3nY

"The Wii U version is an almost complete match for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game, with few enhancements over and above basic GamePad and Off-TV support."

So, that Peter Moore tweet to Tom Phillips about this... I really hope that it actually means that EA is not doing some shitfuckery again...

But it's EA and Nintendo, so not getting my hopes up :(

opricnik

Banned
and WiiU is on par with PS3/360 so the point still stands....

Ok, so this will give you 1080p PS360 quality....

Not all PS3/360 games had same graphical fidelity. Sure it can does FIFA in 1080p60fps PS3 quality but i seriously doubt this machine can run Last of Us /God of War 3 1080p/60fps.
Even without remastered versions of them. This machine at tablet mode its glorified X360.

ASIS

Not all PS3/360 games had same graphical fidelity. Sure it can does FIFA in 1080p60fps PS3 quality but i seriously doubt this machine can run Last of Us /God of War 3 1080p/60fps.
Even without remastered versions of them. This machine at tablet mode its glorified X360.

Any reason to believe any of this?

They might come out with a new one in 2018 that's the exact same game with a roster reskin for $59. I mean, so long as PS3 AND X360 are getting that treatment, why not?
Vita got full-priced re-releases of the same FIFA game for years.
Probably because this will sell like crap. Wii U got one FIFA and NBA 2K at or near launch.

FyreWulff

According to the Tweet, we have no idea what engine they're using. It would be a good idea to wait and see what they have before going any further. They may very well be bringing over Frostbyte. We shouldn't jump the gun until we have more information.

Well, considering there's no complete ARM port of Frostbite... it's all tech demos right now.

-shadow-

untitled-1yrs8e.jpg

Can't we just get Titanfall 2 or something actually interesting? :(

FyreWulff

CPU instruction set really doesn't matter. ARM or x86 is not a big deal to developers.

Performance and architecture matters so I think lack of power and currently zero install base is EAs main issue,

It isn't a big deal, however, the fact remains that the developers of both engines haven't finished or even started on ARM ports of the middleware, and the other dev groups inside EA don't have the responsibility of doing the porting work.

Can't we all just agree and accept the fact that Switch is much closer to PS3/360 than PS4/One in terms of power?

Because that looks like an undeniable fact....

Incorrect.

Played the Switch yesterday and almost every game aside from Zelda was 1080p on the main screen.

Fast RMX at 1080 60fps was a noticeable step up from the Wii U

Hermii

It isn't a big deal, however, the fact remains that the developers of both engines haven't finished or even started on ARM ports of the middleware, and the other dev groups inside EA don't have the responsibility of doing the porting work.
It wouldn't be a big deal porting it to arm, it might be a big deal porting it to much weaker systems like the Switch. Arm isn't a factor here.

As it stands Nintendo STILL think they don't need third parties and don't need to make a console with a wide appeal but are convinced that their own shit is so good that people will just abandon logic and reason and flock to their overpriced underpowered compromised console. Nope.

Yeah well it won't matter for long because they are going to be a third party developer before long, so they can learn all these lessons first hand.

docyoe

Incorrect.

Played the Switch yesterday and almost every game aside from Zelda was 1080p on the main screen.

Fast RMX at 1080 60fps was a noticeable step up from the Wii U
Resolution has absolutely nothing do with the premise that powerwise the Switch is probably closer to the wiiu/ps3/xbox360 than the ps4/xboxone

Top Bottom