• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa Switch will be reportedly based off the PS3/360 versions

zpiders

I'd wager this will be the one and only FIFA game to come to the Switch, hell I wouldn't be surprised if its the only EA game that will be released.

EDarkness

Is there a comparison video anywhere?

There isn't since we don't have an official video outside of the one from the Nintendo event. However, I took a look at that video, and one from PS4 version, and one for the PS3 version and looked at them. It's definitely the Special Edition. Hard to tell from the crappy video we have, so I was hoping that Bethesda would have an official one ready yesterday, but no dice on that one.

If the hardware wasn't really an issue then EA would have no good business reason to (reportedly) provide the Switch with the last-gen version.

The truth is the Switch is significantly underpowered in comparison to the current-gen consoles. The effect of this is starting to show in the software support the platform is receiving from third-party developers. We could all be entirely wrong and EA could be porting the current-gen version, but where we're not wrong is in saying that based on every leak and available pieces of information, the Switch is not a technical powerhouse. I think it's important to realize this sooner rather than later, because I predict that much like the Wii U and Wii, there will be a lot of developers who do not bother with the Switch due to the power limitations of the device. Understanding this will help you set realistic expectations of developer and publisher support.

They don't have a good business reason not to do it, which is why this whole thing is so funny. The NS is not significantly underpowered. Lower powered? Sure. We'd have to know what the intricacies are between the engine used for the PS3/360 game versus the Frostbyte engine. If the same engine worked on the 360 and PS3, then it surely will work on the NS. If they were forward thinking, then they'd port over Frostbyte because they can use it later.

Still, I just saw a tweet from Peter Moore:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/petermooreEA/status/820042981793071107[/tweet]

Maybe they are moving over Frostbyte to the NS. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks. I'll save my ire for when they actually go into more detail about this version of the game.

Also, I don't care about FIFA at all. Never going to buy that game on any system, but always interested in looking at how games are made and how they turn out.

Gurish

There isn't since we don't have an official video outside of the one from the Nintendo event. However, I took a look at that video, and one from PS4 version, and one for the PS3 version and looked at them. It's definitely the Special Edition. Hard to tell from the crappy video we have, so I was hoping that Bethesda would have an official one ready yesterday, but no dice on that one.

They don't have a good business reason not to do it, which is why this whole thing is so funny. The NS is not significantly underpowered. Lower powered? Sure. We'd have to know what the intricacies are between the engine used for the PS3/360 game versus the Frostbyte engine. If the same engine worked on the 360 and PS3, then it surely will work on the NS. If they were forward thinking, then they'd port over Frostbyte because they can use it later.

Still, I just saw a tweet from Peter Moore:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/petermooreEA/status/820042981793071107[/tweet]

Maybe they are moving over Frostbyte to the NS. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks. I'll save my ire for when they actually go into more detail about this version of the game.

Also, I don't care about FIFA at all. Never going to buy that game on any system, but always interested in looking at how games are made and how they turn out.

It is significantly underpowered, a last gen like Zelda that is far from being impressive technically is running at 900P 30 fps and with a pretty blurry IQ (lots of shimmering and jaggies), it's much closer to last gen than to current.

It is significantly underpowered, a last gen like Zelda that is far from being impressive technically is running at 900P 30 fps and with a pretty blurry IQ (lots of shimmering and jaggies), it's much closer to last gen than to current.

It's portable. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have this level of performance on something that I can play anywhere.

Being able to run unreal 4 full version doesnt mean unreal 4 games coming to this. Your 10yr old laptop could run unreal 4 full version , doesnt mean a shit.

Its not gonna get graphically intense UE4 games (such as KH3,TEK7,SFV,Shenm3,Dead Island 2)
DQ11 is ue4

EDarkness

It's not a good idea to base overall system power on a port of a game that was originally made for old hardware..especially something specifically made for the Wii U. I remember Zombi not running too hot on the Xbox One and PS4 when they were ported over, either. Does that mean that those systems aren't all that powerful? If you want to use that, then you have to consider how there are a few games that were 720p on the Wii U that are not 1080p on the NS. Mario Kart being one of them. Fast Racing Neo being another. Let's not even go down this road because it leads to nowhere.

I still don't see how this follows. Again, this is still ultimately a Nintendo issue, because for EA it could make perfect business sense.

Let's say I'm EA. If I'm unsure that the Nintendo Switch is a valuable addition to the market, and in fact fear it may meet with a pretty mediocre market reaction, why would I waste time, money and human resources porting my marquee engines to the system? If I'm unsure that Nintendo consoles even have a market for my games, given how many Nintendo fans talk about third party games and how Nintendo itself has cultivated (or rather not cultivated) third party development, how would it be forward thinking to port Frostbite over?

Then don't make the game if you're not gonna put forth your best effort. It's pretty simple. Otherwise you're just screwing over your customers by releasing a crappy version of your game...unless you don't care about your customers at all. If it were me, I would do my best to make the best version I could so that my fans and players were happy. This isn't about Nintendo. It's about your game and your fans/customers. My view is simple. Give my customers/fans a good game.

I still don't see how this follows. Again, this is still ultimately a Nintendo issue, because for EA it could make perfect business sense.

Let's say I'm EA. If I'm unsure that the Nintendo Switch is a valuable addition to the market, and in fact fear it may meet with a pretty mediocre market reaction, why would I waste time, money and human resources porting my marquee engines to the system? If I'm unsure that Nintendo consoles even have a market for my games, given how many Nintendo fans talk about third party games and how Nintendo itself has cultivated (or rather not cultivated) third party development, how would it be forward thinking to port Frostbite over? How do you know the business sense in the maneuver if you don't know anything about the cost of porting Frostbite or EA's internal analysis and projections for the money they could make from the system? It's not like this is something they would decided to do just to muck with Nintendo, they would have done it after serious CBA.

//DEVIL//

who the hell would buy it ? like seriously, I kinda feel sad for the kid who buy a ps3 version of fifa. its because somehow I know he doesn't have any money to buy a PS4 or Xbox one.

but who the hell will buy a Fifa based on ps3 for a new Nintendo system that cost the price of a ps4 ???

this is very stupid to be honest. then watch EA stops making games for Switch saying there "poor sales".

when you have a fucking poor game and lazy development. you will get a poor sale. I actually hope it doesn't even sell 1 copy and it backfire on their ass . maybe they will learn a shit or two

PantsuJo

60956726.jpg
Lol

ActWan

I didn't expect any different.
Fifa is a mess.
And it probably doesn't have a real player base on a Nintendo console, so EA won't even try and bring the best version there.

gtj1092

who the hell would buy it ? like seriously, I kinda feel sad for the kid who buy a ps3 version of fifa. its because somehow I know he doesn't have any money to buy a PS4 or Xbox one.

but who the hell will buy a Fifa based on ps3 for a new Nintendo system that cost the price of a ps4 ???

this is very stupid to be honest. then watch EA stops making games for Switch saying there "poor sales".

when you have a fucking poor game and lazy development. you will get a poor sale. I actually hope it doesn't even sell 1 copy and it backfire on their ass . maybe they will learn a shit or two

Never ending excuses. Nearly every 3rd party game on Wii U bombed. Less than six figures bombed. I know y'all have detailed list on why each game deserved to fail but the publishers don't care. They just see lost money.

EDarkness

Never ending excuses. Nearly every 3rd party game on Wii U bombed. Less than six figures bombed. I know y'all have detailed list on why each game deserved to fail but the publishers don't care. They just see lost money.

My advice to them is make better games and try harder. Heh, heh.

DieH@rd

Banned
So, EA has almost no faith in the Nintendo Switch? Not surprising.

Well you have to be realistic, Switch hardware is too weak for full gen8 visuals. Porting Gen7 engine was the only choice.

From the moment X1 and the clocks became known, the fate of Switch was sealed [performance-wise]. It's a modern mobile architecture, it will work good and be easy to develop for, but it's power level is mostly in a PS3/X360/WiiU range.

Roi

There's nothing to wait for, it's already confirmed that it will be a custom built version.
Thread should be locked.

Put it this way: if it was easier to port the Xbox One/PS4 version then EA would do it.

Don't get pissy at them if the Switch isn't up to par technically.

EDarkness

Put it this way: if it was easier to port the Xbox One/PS4 version then EA would do it.

Don't get pissy at them if the Switch isn't up to par technically.

According to the Tweet, we have no idea what engine they're using. It would be a good idea to wait and see what they have before going any further. They may very well be bringing over Frostbyte. We shouldn't jump the gun until we have more information.

//DEVIL//

how do you expect a game not to bomb when you release a WII U version 4 to 6 months after the main game was released, less content in it, and then charge 60$ for it like its just a brand new game ? of course it will be bomb. these publishers must be idiots if think it will do very well.

This will apply to any system. not just Nintendo. release a game on PS4 and 6 months later release it on xbox with stripped down content and charge 60$ for it. let me see if it will sell shit.

in this case, you can only blame the fans if they release the next Fifa game along side the PS4 and Xbox one with the same engine and doesn't sell. not an inferior product.

who wouldn't want to play fifa on the go and help making his ultimate team while he is away from home? ( not a soccer game fan, but my brother is, and he plays fifa all day if he can. and if he can play it on the go, he will )

There's nothing to wait for, it's already confirmed that it will be a custom built version.
Thread should be locked.
Oh please, we've lived through the "custom" games of the Wii U too. That doesn't tell us that the PS3/360 versions aren't being used as a base for their "custom" game.

EDarkness

Do we know which port it is

Yes we do. It's a port of the PS4 version.

Oh please, we've lived through the "custom" games of the Wii U too. That doesn't tell us that the PS3/360 versions aren't being used as a base for their "custom" game.

We should give them the benefit of the doubt until we know exactly what we're getting. Getting pissed off about something we don't know about right now is pretty crazy. Let the game speak for itself. If it's crappy, then we'll let them know. Maybe they may actually TRY to make a good game out of it. We do owe them at least that.

Oersted

Being able to run unreal 4 full version doesnt mean unreal 4 games coming to this. Your 10yr old laptop could run unreal 4 full version , doesnt mean a shit.

Its not gonna get graphically intense UE4 games (such as KH3,TEK7,SFV,Shenm3,Dead Island 2)

They flatout announced UE4 games at the conference

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
We should give them the benefit of the doubt until we know exactly what we're getting. Getting pissed off about something we don't know about right now is pretty crazy. Let the game speak for itself. If it's crappy, then we'll let them know. Maybe they may actually TRY to make a good game out of it. We do owe them at least that.

This sounds REALLY familiar for some reason...

ASIS

ugh. I'm not into Fifa at all but this really doesn't set a good image for the Switch at all. There is no defending it, this is not okay.

opricnik

Banned
They flatout announced UE4 games at the conference
I said it wont run current gen games ue4 games with heavy on graphics part. None of games i listed were announced for it. If Tekken7 was announced for system i could see that but nope. Only SMT was announced using ue4 which seems made in mind with Switch specs and game devolopment is barely started.

EDarkness

This sounds REALLY familiar for some reason...

Sure, but there's no point in arresting a criminal before they commit a crime. They have to have a chance to make things right and we can judge them on their effort. If they release a video of the game looking and playing like shit with missing features at full price, then we can take them to task. No reason to get upset before we know something concrete.

I googled , no article to be where to seen . Can you post source on that

There isn't one. Take a look at the trailer from the Nintendo event. Look at the PS4 version of the Special Edition. Look at the 360/PS3 videos and you'll see straight away the NS version is the Special Edition. No idea why they didn't include the subtitle, but it's definitely the latest version.

opricnik

Banned
Sure, but there's no point in arresting a criminal before they commit a crime. They have to have a chance to make things right and we and judge them on their effort. If they release a video of the game looking and playing like shit with missing features at full price, then we can't take them to task. No reason to get upset before we know something concrete.

There isn't one. Take a look at the trailer from the Nintendo event. Look at the PS4 version of the Special Edition. Look at the 360/PS3 videos and you'll see straight away the NS version is the Special Edition. No idea why they didn't include the subtitle, but it's definitely the latest version.

Sorry but we were talking about DX11 where did skyrim talk come out

Oersted

I said it wont run current gen games ue4 games with heavy on graphics part. None of games i listed were announced for it. If Tekken7 was announced for system i could see that but nope. Only SMT was announced using ue4 which seems made in mind with Switch specs and game devolopment is barely started.

Sorry, I missunderstood Being able to run unreal 4 full version doesnt mean unreal 4 games coming to this as Being able to run unreal 4 full version doesnt mean unreal 4 games coming to this. Won't happen again.

According to the Tweet, we have no idea what engine they're using. It would be a good idea to wait and see what they have before going any further. They may very well be bringing over Frostbyte. We shouldn't jump the gun until we have more information.

Thanks for the info. I agree, let's not get carried away prematurely.

Donos

So when they announce Battlefield 1 for Switch, it's actually going to be Battlefield 1942 port (EA Rep: "well, it was the first one")

Gurish

It's not a good idea to base overall system power on a port of a game that was originally made for old hardware..especially something specifically made for the Wii U. I remember Zombi not running too hot on the Xbox One and PS4 when they were ported over, either. Does that mean that those systems aren't all that powerful? If you want to use that, then you have to consider how there are a few games that were 720p on the Wii U that are not 1080p on the NS. Mario Kart being one of them. Fast Racing Neo being another. Let's not even go down this road because it leads to nowhere.

Sorry I don't get the comparison, Zombi was a cheap cash in made by Ubi and it cost like 30$ at launch, it was a quick job and even than the resolution was full HD compared to the 720P WiiU version, Zelda is a flagship title, a system seller for the Switch that is made by one of the best developers in the world, can you see TLOU:R running at 30 fps and 900P with plenty of shimmering and jaggies on the PS4? no way Sony and ND would let such a flagship title have such a low quality port, that's why it's 1080P and 60FPS with improved character models, textures, lighting and everything basically, that's how it works when the system you're porting to has a significant power boost, obviously Next doesn't have enough power for a great Zelda port if it's looking like that, the console is the Pro version of the WiiU technically nothing more.

EmiPrime

If they're not going to port over Frostbite 3 to Switch I assume that means no EA support going forward beyond token last gen ports.

Budi

Haha, this must be the longest any thread about sports game has gone in GAF. The thread about bad PES port to PC got 3 pages and that even was a "fuck Konami" thread.

EDarkness

Sorry I don't get the comparison, Zombi was a cheap cash in made by Ubi and it cost like 30$ at launch, it was a quick job and even than the resolution was full HD compared to the 720P WiiU version, Zelda is a flagship title, a system seller for the Switch that is made by one of the best developers in the world, can you see TLOU:R running at 30 fps and 900P with plenty of shimmering and jaggies on the PS4? no way Sony and ND would let such a flagship title have such a low quality port, that's why it's 1080P and 60FPS with improved character models, textures, lighting and everything basically, that's how it works when the system you're porting to has a significant power boost, obviously Next doesn't have enough power for a great Zelda port if it's looking like that, the console is the Pro version of the WiiU technically nothing more.

Well, the good part about all of this is that you don't have to buy it and can move on about your life without worrying about it. Maybe you can play Zelda on the Wii U and call it a day. My point is that all ports are not created equal.

No one was expecting the NS to be in the realm of the PS4 (at least I hope people weren't). The signs were there that it wasn't going to be in that league. But to say that it's not more powerful than the Wii U is pretty crazy. Just because Nintendo decided (actually did they? Has it been confirmed to be 900p?) to lower the resolution to 900p doesn't mean the game won't be good or run well. That should always trump this resolution talk.

Gurish

Well, the good part about all of this is that you don't have to buy it and can move on about your life without worrying about it. Maybe you can play Zelda on the Wii U and call it a day. My point is that all ports are not created equal.

No one was expecting the NS to be in the realm of the PS4 (at least I hope people weren't). The signs were there that it wasn't going to be in that league. But to say that it's not more powerful than the Wii U is pretty crazy. Just because Nintendo decided (actually did they? Has it been confirmed to be 900p?) to lower the resolution to 900p doesn't mean the game won't be good or run well. That should always trump this resolution talk.

Of course it's more powerful than the WiiU, like I said it is the Pro version of that console, it's more like a mid-gen refresh technically (just like the PS4Pro) that a new gen.

All this discussion started because you said the Switch is not significantly underpowered, obviously when talking about technology the definition of "power" should be in comparison to the direct competition and to the current market standard for AAA gaming- the PS4 and XB1, and when comparing the console to those machines it is indeed significantly underpowered.

Can't we all just agree and accept the fact that Switch is much closer to PS3/360 than PS4/One in terms of power?

Because that looks like an undeniable fact....

Audioboxer

Can't we all just agree and accept the fact that Switch is much closer to PS3/360 than PS4/One in terms of power?

Because that looks like an undeniable fact....

Nah it's closer to the PS4 and XB1 lol. It's just a bit annoying that 3rd parties are seemingly on board to offer crappy last gen ports as always, and then probably dump Switch support altogether.

Nintendo as the often place themselves just haven't done enough to be on par with the other two so as 3rd parties have ease of porting 1:1 copies of games. If you make it even slightly time consuming or complicated then 3rd parties are going to ditch a Nintendo console before it's even out. The poor MP and social functions don't help either.

Top Bottom