• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookiejet

I'm not saying you don't use or combat them. Your reasoning to why they are bad though is the same line of reasoning that lands you on Scrub Quotes. It's false and untrue and has a lot of basis in willing ignorance.

Saying X thing is bad in a competitive game doesn't automatically imply that you don't see its competitive value and or you are a scrub. I think it's fair to assume anybody posting here is always looking for the best competitive option in their choice of game, but we can still look at things from a design lens, no?

Edit: I personally think OSes make for ugly (not intuitive) gameplay.

I'm not saying you don't use or combat them. Your reasoning to why they are bad though is the same line of reasoning that lands you on Scrub Quotes. It's false and untrue and has a lot of basis in willing ignorance.

Can you explain your reasoning beyond "as long as the player can still do something about it, it's fine"? Taking away options from the game is fine, as long as there are some decisions left to make? If you take that reasoning to its logical extreme, we enter kusoge country. It doesn't provide any reason as to why they're desirable in the first place.

Anne

I am completely convinced by your non-argument against my "false and untrue" opinion. Also, by telling me what I should be doing, you absolutely are insinuating that I am not doing it presently. Who gives a fuck about some idiot's Twitter account? Learn to make an argument and address the points people make.

I did. Your point was that OSes remove options. I can sit here and break it down piece by piece and tell you why a lot of OSes will create deeper decision making, and you won't buy it because you're not thinking critically. You'll argue in this thread like you always do until people give up and one dude agrees with you, while everybody else is sending screencaps to scrubquotes.

You want the real answer? All the better players I know regard an OS as just another option. When you approach a situation, there's the basic RPS game, then there's the OSes tagged on. You deal with that OS game, they go back to RPS. They start OSing RPS, you go back to dealing with OS. An OS has a high reward call out? You call it out once you spot it and get a huge reward, then you get to start playing RPS of "should they still be OSing? How will they respond to RPS now?". There's deeper gameplay there.

But ya know, because the way you lay out situations, I don't think you really get that. You can talk and put up a long argument, yeah, but you're not really talking to me about fighting games like that. You're talking about some really basic situations and ideas, and when something has thrown a kink in that the answer is usually "bad design" or some really crazy obtuse justification for the sake of drawing out the argument.

Like I don't really like talking with you like this cause it's always the same thing, but I'd rather try to dispell the nonsense idea of "OSes are bad design by default." I mean hell that idea got thrown out the window when devs started acknowledging that OSes exist and craft the game with them in mind.

Can you explain your reasoning beyond "as long as the player can still do something about it, it's fine"? Taking away options from the game is fine, as long as there are some decisions left to make? If you take that reasoning to its logical extreme, we enter kusoge country. It doesn't provide any reason as to why they're desirable in the first place.

A lot of the time the OS removing parts of a situation creates an entirely new situation with another layer of decisions to now be made. I understand if all decisions get nuked by a single OS that's bad, yeah, but if a meaningful interaction takes place that's a new layer of depth to explore and a new set of options to play with. They're not outright desirable but they are an element to the game that exists, they can provide depth or deny it depending on how well the game is designed.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The whole notion of them being inherently "good" or "bad" is weird in itself.

Basically I agree with Anne 100%.

Shouta

I did. Your point was that OSes remove options.

You didn't read his argument. He said Option Selects are bad because they remove considerations or decisions a player has to make in a match, not limit their options.

OSes are bad because they allow you to make one less decision in your play. Giving players full control and forcing them to make decisions is the best way to go. Not all OSes are equal, though. Some are terrible, and some are mundane.

I'd rather try to dispell the nonsense idea of "OSes are bad design by default." I mean hell that idea got thrown out the window when devs started acknowledging that OSes exist and craft the game with them in mind.

A lot of the time the OS removing parts of a situation creates an entirely new situation with another layer of decisions to now be made. I understand if all decisions get nuked by a single OS that's bad, yeah, but if a meaningful interaction takes place that's a new layer of depth to explore and a new set of options to play with. They're not outright desirable but they are an element to the game that exists, they can provide depth or deny it depending on how well the game is designed.

I can acknowledge that OSes can create depth in a game. But I take issue with them not being "bad design". They pretty much have to be.

This is because developers are not deliberately adding OSes to their fighting games. The level of work you need to do to plot out the impact of an option select in a FG, even semi-accurately, is absurd.

They may legitimize existing OSes found in previous iterations of their games that end up being benign to depth via player-testing like you say. They may "craft the game with OSes in mind". But they're sure as hell not going to add them on purpose unless they're just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it works.

If you really think a FG developer is adding OSes to their game on purpose you should be really distrustful unless they have an insane pedigree(I'm not sure I'd even trust Mike Z, though I'd trust he'd try to put in the associated level of effort).

Anne

You didn't read his argument. He said Option Selects are bad because they remove considerations or decisions a player has to make in a match, not limit their options.

Sorry. I consider options the things players have to consider, and I'm pretty sure I've detailed a lot of times that more decisions can open up due to OSes existing as their own options.

If you really think a FG developer is adding OSes to their game on purpose you should be really distrustful unless they have an insane pedigree(I'm not sure I'd even trust Mike Z, though I'd trust he'd try to put in the associated level of effort).

They are not adding OSes intentionally, but while creating the engine OSes pop up and they'll decide how best to deal with them. TRM in BB is an example where the devs clearly understood the implications behind their barrier system and their throw system existing together. They made a concession with TRM, which is a solution that let them have those systems in place without them needing to alter it. In Yata, they knew crouch tech existed, so they altered it in a way that it's a lot easier to interact with. A lot of devs do this and understand the OSes will exist, but they create a series of options they believe will deal with it. If they think an OS is so absurd it'll breakdown the overall design of the game (like in SF4) they'll intentionally restrict it like in Skullgirls or SFV.

I mean, is it even possible to make a fighting game without option selects of some kind? It's just a weird catch-all term for such a wide variety of mechanical quirks.

Sixfortyfive

I can't think of a single OS that made a game better.

One of the biggest reasons (or two; they go hand-in-hand) that I play specific types of fighting games in the first place is because I enjoy games that (1) allow me to feel powerful and (2) make the opponent feel powerless.

Strong techniques that require careful considerations to work around are at the core of that. I enjoy the puzzle-game-inside-the-game of employing or defeating a powerful tactic. The vague umbrella of "option selects" usually qualifies. Same reason I usually take lopsided match-ups in stride.

rookiejet

You want the real answer? All the better players I know regard an OS as just another option. When you approach a situation, there's the basic RPS game, then there's the OSes tagged on. You deal with that OS game, they go back to RPS. They start OSing RPS, you go back to dealing with OS. An OS has a high reward call out? You call it out once you spot it and get a huge reward, then you get to start playing RPS of "should they still be OSing? How will they respond to RPS now?". There's deeper gameplay there.

That's simply adding complexity, I don't see any depth added.

Yeah, this really is the nature of it in a nutshell.

I think it's actually a taste thing. It bypasses (and/or adds complexity to) the immediately intuitive, straightforward RPS situations in the game. And some people just don't like that.

I think it's ugly.

Anne

That's simply adding complexity, I don't see any depth added.

I think it's actually a taste thing. It bypasses (and/or adds complexity to) the immediately intuitive, straightforward RPS situations in the game. And some people just don't like that.

I think it's ugly.

There's a more complex input, yeah, but that's really all there is to complexity. The depth comes in playing around those options, it's really the same depth you get from standard RPS but there's a layer underneath it. There's some complexity due to inputs and execution, but the depth of playing around it is the same depth you get out of "normal" fighting game situations.

Yes but nobody would want to play it. It'd be clunky and stiff as hell.

Pretty sure Divekick is the type of game that would be "OS Proof" due to the lack of options existing. I'm sure somebody will prove me wrong but that's the obvious place to look.

Sixfortyfive

When people start throwing around "depth" in a game design argument, that's usually my cue to bow out.

I did. Your point was that OSes remove options. I can sit here and break it down piece by piece and tell you why a lot of OSes will create deeper decision making, and you won't buy it because you're not thinking critically. You'll argue in this thread like you always do until people give up and one dude agrees with you, while everybody else is sending screencaps to scrubquotes.
You can send all the screencaps to scrubquotes that you want. I really don't give a damn. Why would anyone give a damn? Why would I be convinced by the ad populum?

The clear and obvious argument being made is that if we were in a position to choose whether a game has OSes or doesn't have OSes, it's better to design the game without them. It's purely a game design discussion that you keep trying to turn into a metagame/attitude discussion. No one doubts that, in practice, OSes can be beaten, and that a new metagame develops around them. No one doubts that, in practice, RPS evolves as a result of existing OSes. That isn't the topic.

But ya know, because the way you lay out situations, I don't think you really get that. You can talk and put up a long argument, yeah, but you're not really talking to me about fighting games like that. You're talking about some really basic situations and ideas, and when something has thrown a kink in that the answer is usually "bad design" or some really crazy obtuse justification for the sake of drawing out the argument.
This discussion is miserable because:
1) You haven't even attempted to respond to my claim.
2) You haven't even attempted to give a scenario where OSes are good.

You've spent 3 posts saying "Oh I would tell you, BUT..."

Like I don't really like talking with you like this cause it's always the same thing, but I'd rather try to dispell the nonsense idea of "OSes are bad design by default." I mean hell that idea got thrown out the window when devs started acknowledging that OSes exist and craft the game with them in mind.
What, developers designing games with them in mind justifies them? That's a ridiculous perspective, and I am sure you know it without me having to say so.

If you don't want to talk to me, then don't talk to me - I don't care. Block me. But if you're going to call me a scrub because I think it's better for a game to force players to make more decisions rather than fewer decisions, then what do you expect back? It's not like you even attempted to be civil toward me, or tried to understand what's being discussed here. You just went on a condescending, off-topic rant. Hell, you still haven't even taken on my basic challenge: name one situation where a game would be IMPROVED by the existence of an OS, versus it not existing. If you can't do that, then we're done here. You don't have an argument.

Lay it out. I don't think this situation ever exists. Take the time to actually provide a thorough example (preferably with a game I know reasonably well, so I can follow along) instead of a general idea. I completely understand what you are saying here. I understand you think this exists, but it's just an abstract claim. Give me a concrete example where this actually takes place, because I don't think the abstract notion translates into any real scenarios.

Just so we're completely clear: OSes don't completely remove depth, but they must reduce depth by the basic logic of their existence. Obviously situations involving OSes can still be deep. That's not what is up for discussion here.

I mean, is it even possible to make a fighting game without option selects of some kind? It's just a weird catch-all term for such a wide variety of mechanical quirks.
It would be possible. The reason the V-Reversal OS exists is V-Reversals have no whiff animation. If V-Reversals had a whiff animation, then they would have a normal string of input priorities like other inputs do, and then the OS wouldn't exist (maybe). It's the same reason throw OSes exist in Marvel and Guilty Gear: there's no throw whiff animation, so there can't be any kind of input priority list.

SamVimes

Someone explain to me how do you feasibly remove the low forward xx fireball os. Being able to cancel normals on whiff? lol

Shouta

Sorry. I consider options the things players have to consider, and I'm pretty sure I've detailed a lot of times that more decisions can open up due to OSes existing as their own options.

What you're saying doesn't relate to his argument though. Are OS good or are they bad? Should they exist? are the questions that his posts bring up. This is a question of design not a question of how players deal with it when it does exist.

Someone explain to me how do you feasibly remove the low forward xx fireball os. Being able to cancel normals on whiff? lol

There are probably a couple of ways but it'd lead to a game that felt a little stiffer, I think.

Thulius

The GGXrd tutorial actually teaches you Sol's 6K+HS throw OS before it even teaches you how to do special moves.

It's fair to say that most OSes are an unintentional side effect of other system mechanics but to say that no one's including them on purpose is definitely underestimating how much thought goes into these games.

It depends on the OS, but de-facto an OS is more useful than doing one option alone. Which means of screws up balance and game flow.

Either they are too hard and give execution monsters a big advantage, or they are too easy and lower the skill level of the scene.

Best examples are throw OS in Marvel 3 and crouch-tech OS in SF4.

Sixfortyfive

The GGXrd tutorial actually teaches you Sol's 6K+HS throw OS before it even teaches you how to do special moves.

It's fair to say that most OSes are an unintentional side effect of other system mechanics but to say that no one's including them on purpose is definitely underestimating how much thought goes into these games.

And Keits has expressed frustration that players aren't using various option selects in Killer Instinct that the development team has discovered.

rookiejet

There's a more complex input, yeah, but that's really all there is to complexity. The depth comes in playing around those options, it's really the same depth you get from standard RPS but there's a layer underneath it. There's some complexity due to inputs and execution, but the depth of playing around it is the same depth you get out of "normal" fighting game situations.

We are in agreement then. It's just complicating the standard RPS situation. :p

edit: It's like Rock, Paper, Scissors, and Occassional Shotgun that kills Scissors (because hand is holding Scissors) and Paper then (in addition to the meta of just the first three)

When people start throwing around "depth" in a game design argument, that's usually my cue to bow out.

not one for /deep/ conversations huh

Vice

I don't think you can make an arguement for OSes not existing since there aren't any, or many, examples of games that lack them. They're just a part of fighting games.

Anne

Lay it out. I don't think this situation ever exists. Take the time to actually provide a thorough example (preferably with a game I know reasonably well, so I can follow along) instead of a general idea. I completely understand what you are saying here. I understand you think this exists, but it's just an abstract claim. Give me a concrete example where this actually takes place, because I don't think the abstract notion translates into any real scenarios.

I mean, again, in Person 4 Arena it's pretty straightforward. You can defensively OS a lot of options in the tight situations that occur. If somebody is trying to RPS with certain timings, you can OS that RPS reasonably well. So now somebody starts checking to see if you are OSing, and then if they notice they call you out on it and the mindgames start to be based around whether or not somebody is doing that.

Like in P4A I start to stagger pressure with Narukami. I do a string like 5A > 2A > 5A > 2B > 5B. During that string I'm trying to see if he stand up while blocking. Why? Because that's a tell that somebody might be OSing fuzzy jump or fuzzy roll. I notice they stand up. Next pressure string I'll do something like 5A > 2A > delay 2A to catch them standing up or rolling or jumping. Low risk, low reward option but now they are checked for OSing. The upside here is if you have the read, you can make the decision right there to look for 2B on fuzzy jump, and if you're right you /murdered/ that person. You got a high reward from properly understanding the decision your opponent was making and making your own decision to beat it. The next time I start to pressure this person, now I can check to see if they stopped OSing, there's a bigger set of options on the table, there are more decisions to be made. The idea of RPS to guess is already flimsy, but when you add on that layer of "how is this guy RPSing? Is he OSing? Or he is he looking for standard stuff?" it becomes a much different game. The situation has changed, more options have opened up than were lost, and the game gets going.

In BB it's similar. You see somebody flashing barrier in throw situations where you choose strike. Now you've spotted the barrier tech OS. Now that's opened up the game from strike/throw/block to strike/throw/block/TRM. When they layer fuzzy jump into it then you really adjust the way you do strikes and set up TRM, but it's the same idea. Now the game is opened up to more situations existing than the basic guessing game because better guesses exist. The fun part? Calling out those better guesses yields higher reward, so players have to really think how they want to use those options back and forth. The guessing game has gotten deeper, there's another layer. All the same options they had before exist, now there's just this new option that covers some things better but leads to way higher reward for calling out.

In UNI it's the same way. They knew OSes on defense would be a thing with how shield works, and I'm willing to bet they were fine with that. Like anybody could've figured that out. Then they made shield break on throw a thing. Now because throw OS exists utilizing shield, there's more of an incentive for players to watch shielding and throw habits, and to look for that higher reward. There's more to the situations people will create because that high reward is there, but they'll have to extend themselves in an unsafe way to get it.

A lot of fighting game ideas are really abstract and nothing is concrete, but that's generally how the defensive OSes work out. They're just a new layer on how to things, a new set of options, and they create interesting and diverse decision making a lot of the time. You can't sit here and say "the game is better with or without the OS" in a concrete way, it's just a thing that exists. Saying it's inherently bad and limits and reduces decisions by existing is a lie though, and is untrue. It's a pretty common attitude that should probably die out.

What you're saying doesn't relate to his argument though. Are OS good or are they bad? Should they exist? are the questions that his posts bring up. This is a question of design not a question of how players deal with it when it does exist.

Are they good or bad? They are neither as a concept, it comes down to the individual OS. Should they exist? That's not really a question to be asked, they are going to exist and designers should consider the positive/negative effects of the ones they know and understand. Are they inherently bad design and limit decision making at principal? No. The way players interact with these things in game should inform design plenty enough.

They are not adding OSes intentionally, but while creating the engine OSes pop up and they'll decide how best to deal with them. TRM in BB is an example where the devs clearly understood the implications behind their barrier system and their throw system existing together. They made a concession with TRM, which is a solution that let them have those systems in place without them needing to alter it. In Yata, they knew crouch tech existed, so they altered it in a way that it's a lot easier to interact with. A lot of devs do this and understand the OSes will exist, but they create a series of options they believe will deal with it. If they think an OS is so absurd it'll breakdown the overall design of the game (like in SF4) they'll intentionally restrict it like in Skullgirls or SFV.

No disagreements there, making broad decisions to control the prevalence of OSes born between the interactions created by systems is definitely a different beast from individually introducing them, but developers definitely do the former. I guess then it comes to an argument as to whether creating the system interactions themselves held an intent to create OSes, which then have to be restrained either way, or whether the OSes are simply the undesirable byproduct of desiring those interactions.

But like I said, there is no developer I can think of that has the foresight or the chops to deliberately spin out a given OS and put it into their fighting game with clear design intent, unless that intent is sledgehammer-level OP/uselessness.

Pretty sure Divekick is the type of game that would be "OS Proof" due to the lack of options existing. I'm sure somebody will prove me wrong but that's the obvious place to look.

OG Divekick is a possibly OS-less game that's also fun, good point. Well, the current version might be too, but there's probably room for doubt considering all the extra stuff it has.

Like I said earlier, when they are included, it's because they were already discovered and vetted by the playerbase. You can say ASW embraced this, yeah. Xrd fundamentally has the same system engine/simulation base as the previous GG games, and it spent quite a bit of time in arcades before the console release(IIRC), so a basic OS like that is already pretty well-vetted and OSes in general are an important part of the series.

number47

Bonchan now sponsored by Red Bull.

That's Snake Eyes,Kayane and Bonchan. That's a great stack. Someone should make a 3v3 League.

Anne

No disagreements there, making broad decisions to control the prevalence of OSes born between the interactions created by systems is definitely a different beast from individually introducing them, but developers definitely do the former. I guess then it comes to an argument as to whether creating the system interactions themselves held an intent to create OSes, which then have to be restrained either way, or whether the OSes are simply the undesirable byproduct of desiring those interactions.

But like I said, there is no developer I can think of that has the foresight or the chops to deliberately spin out a given OS and put it into their fighting game with clear design intent, unless that intent is sledgehammer-level OP/uselessness.

I'm not saying they are desirable or undesirable, but they are understood and design decisions made around them are determined by what the designers feel their worth to the game is. No game is saying "we're going to make this OS" but a lot of games say "we're wanting to have these systems in place, it might create this OS" and they decide whether that is good or bad for the overall game.

In SFV, they obviously thought (probably correctly) that crouch tech as it existed was not great for the game, so they limited it heavily. In GG Xrd, they obviously thought throw OS was good for the health of the game so they decided to leave it in. It's worth noting in Xrd R they removed known OSes deemed unhealthy for the game, while allowing others they understood and deemed beneficial to the game in.

I just think it would be a lot healthier if we looked at them as a neutral aspect of the game and respected the good or bad they bring, instead of damning them all to bad. That discourages exploration and it heavily limits what people deem as "acceptable" design.

DunpealD

I think that's actually one of the less offending shallower OSes. Since it should be already considered when designing the game and balanced accordingly, i.e. OS by design, simple and uncomplicated.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
In GG Xrd, they obviously thought throw OS was good for the health of the game so they decided to leave it in. It's worth noting in Xrd R they removed known OSes deemed unhealthy for the game, while allowing others they understood and deemed beneficial to the game in.

And then said whoops here are throw techs back.

Most OS are minor. When people complain about them they are mostly thinking of braindead ones or the gamebreakers

Anne

And then said whoops here are throw techs back.

Most OS are minor. When people complain about them they mostly bring up braindead or gamebreakers

I don't think throw OS led to throw techs being back in, I just think the interaction of throws in general were a little off so it got added back in.

rookiejet

That's a very reasonable way of looking at it.

in other news, i'm now legend* in the land of Rising Thunder

fite me brehs

(i may or may not have riden a wave of Dauntlesses (free for Vlad) for the final win streak lol. based matchmaking)

*no, not the perfect kind

is the basic duck/block fuzzy guard in VF5 considered an option select?

I assumed that one was totally intentional since it provides an option that forces people to delay stuff in a game with such a huge input buffer

I'm not saying they are desirable or undesirable, but they are understood and design decisions made around them are determined by what the designers feel their worth to the game is. No game is saying "we're going to make this OS" but a lot of games say "we're wanting to have these systems in place, it might create this OS" and they decide whether that is good or bad for the overall game.

In SFV, they obviously thought (probably correctly) that crouch tech as it existed was not great for the game, so they limited it heavily. In GG Xrd, they obviously thought throw OS was good for the health of the game so they decided to leave it in. It's worth noting in Xrd R they removed known OSes deemed unhealthy for the game, while allowing others they understood and deemed beneficial to the game in.

I just think it would be a lot healthier if we looked at them as a neutral aspect of the game and respected the good or bad they bring, instead of damning them all to bad. That discourages exploration and it heavily limits what people deem as "acceptable" design.

Well, if it's from a player standpoint there's no reason to not embrace OSes for the sake of deepening exploration of what the game has to offer, and I can at least see how they can possibly spice up some interactions, so I can understand not wanting them to have a negative rep there. Whether they damage or bolster an interaction or not, they do exist and attempting to shun their existence ultimately makes the game even shallower(and more frustrating) as an experience for the player who does.

But OSes as an active design decision are just hard to endorse because of their nature. Maybe one day someone will successfully make a game designed around them that wasn't also built on happy accidents, and change my mind.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Thanks! A lot of the time I wonder if anyone cares, haha. Since I actively play both marvel and xrd (going all in on the sfv beta also), I try to make videos for everything I play and alternate between games so nobody gets the wrong impression and thinks I’m not playing game x or game y anymore. I have a Doom vid in the pipeline that’s nearly complete :)

Yay, I'll be patiently waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom