• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

Azure J

OceanBlue

Fighters on PC would kinda suck for tourneys because of the price. Could you imagine it BSODing in the middle of your match? Get Ultra 1 with T.Hawk to win Evo but it blue screens on you at the last second.

Yeah, PC-only fighters kinda suck for tournaments (melty ;_;). I just want ports for convenience.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Come to the Sony side Enzo
If Drive Club ends up being PGR5 all but in the name, maybe. Evolution has more Bizarre employees than everywhere else but Sumo Digital I think.

Fighters on PC would kinda suck for tourneys because of the price. Could you imagine it BSODing in the middle of your match? Get Ultra 1 with T.Hawk to win Evo but it blue screens on you at the last second.
+ you always need a keyboard + mouse to set up, + finding standardized hardware configurations (which developers will never optimize for specifically because they have to consider a range of configurations).

Will never understand people wanting PC to be the tournament standard, even in a hypothetical Steam Box situation where it's just trying it's hardest to be a console anyways without being a console. ..Might as well be a console that you know is standardized and always will be.

Holy shit

Whoever made this thing must hate the game industry.
No chance any major tournament will run on XBox one.

1) Used game fee.
2) Massive system.
3) Kinect required to function.
4) Various Kinect issues that can arise.

The only thing that could even give Microsoft a chance is if the PS4 also requires used game fees. Still, putting up with Kinect setups and calibration for every single tournament station is a serious pain in the ass for a TD to deal with.
It is pretty big lol.

Azure J

Holy shit

Whoever made this thing must hate the game industry.

Tweest™: Jack Thompson is the high ranking MS official that gave this the greenlight.

Holy shit, I think I'm reaching the point where I can feel OK saying Wii U is in a better position than this thing.

The only reason I even want a 3DS at this point is because I'm tired of my DS Lite being gimped simply because I refuse to use WEP encryption. The little I played of Luigi's Mansion multi was alright, though.

Dat Quadruple, a better PC (so I can finally play the other half of my Steam backlog without my laptop gasping for air), and 3DS are all I'm probably gonna need in the future.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The worst part about this is that it does not exclude the theoretical "always online" DRM, or at least Thurott's idea of a heartbeat kind of DRM. If Microsoft is being this draconian, I don't think they'll let you activate these licenses and then just sit on them. Way too manipulable, they want to even control your offline content it seems.

I think Mattrick said no always online, but I don't feel we have the full story. Same goes for every other part of the Xbox really.

Capcom has already said they don't see any future fighting games not having PC releases as well. I don't see anybody else doing it though, pretty much because they don't have to and nobody actually buys 'em on PC. Capcom would only do it because they can and because porting will be easier than ever.
There is always zero demand until someone gives an earnest effort. Right now the only good examples for an entire genre that goes back twenty years are Capcom with TWO fighting games.

Lab Zero already got like ten thousand pre orders by using the IGG campaign, hats and promising the first steamworks fighter ever.
Tweest™: Jack Thompson is the high ranking MS official that gave this the greenlight.

Holy shit, I think I'm reaching the point where I can feel OK saying Wii U is in a better position than this thing.
Let's not go that far. MS is surely aware of how risky this is. Nintendo makes their decisions off in Nintendo Land where consequences are a mere illusion until they blow up in their face.

Right now consoles are just something funny to me. MS is shoving mega online passes down our throats, Nintendo is extending current gen by another five years(I know it's Next gen!) and Sony is being hamstrung by Krazy Ken's PS3 hardware architecture... yeah I'll wait three years or so.

vocab

You could say the same for any piece of hardware. RROD? My PC is more reliable than any console. The biggest problem PC versions of SFIV face is awful button config. Sfxt is way worse. Like worse than MK9. IM SERIOUS.

I'll see you guys on PS4/PC.

Shouta

You could say the same for any piece of hardware. RROD? My PC is more reliable than any console. The biggest problem PC versions of SFIV face is awful button config.

I'll see you guys on PS4/PC.

Price is the problem yo.

Beckx

The worst part about this is that it does not exclude the theoretical "always online" DRM, or at least Thurott's idea of a heartbeat kind of DRM. If Microsoft is being this draconian, I don't think they'll let you activate these licenses and then just sit on them. Way too manipulable, they want to even control your offline content it seems.

I think Mattrick said no always online, but I don't feel we have the full story. Same goes for every other part of the Xbox really.

Let's run down this machine:

It turns physical, full price retail games into locked digital ones
It reads your vital signs
It's always watching & listening
It's the size of an 80s VCR
It's focused on television

If all that is true - and honestly it's too crazy to be true, right? - this thing is not coming inside my home.

El Sloth

Banned
+ you always need a keyboard + mouse to set up, + finding standardized hardware configurations (which developers will never optimize for specifically because they have to consider a range of configurations).

Will never understand people wanting PC to be the tournament standard, even in a hypothetical Steam Box situation where it's just trying it's hardest to be a console anyways without being a console. ..Might as well be a console that you know is standardized and always will be.
There isn't anyone in here arguing for that. Who are you guys responding to?

I want PC versions of the game released same day as the console versions.

Also, I find your argument against companies releasing fighting games on the PC because people are not buying fighters on the PC poor, Enzo. Capcom pretty much always releases the game several months afterwards and always gets something wrong whether it's GFWL integration or no updates to SFxT.

Of course it's going sell less. Some people would rather play the game sooner than later. And then not everyone likes the games enough to double dip. As for the SFxT version; no wants to pay money for an inferior version. And then there are some people who are staunchly, "no steam, no buy."

Capcom always whines about it's poor performance on PC, but they fucking do it to themselves.

AAK

Me too, at least I won't have to work with multiple fightsticks.

Speaking of which, give us the goods on the PS4One sticks MarkMan ;D

If it doesn't, you can safely bet a bunch of manufacturers are gonna make LOTS of money making 360/PS3--->PS4 converters.

Right now consoles are just something funny to me. MS is shoving mega online passes down our throats, Nintendo is extending current gen by another five years(I know it's Next gen!) and Sony is being hamstrung by Krazy Ken's PS3 hardware architecture... yeah I'll wait three years or so.

This. I'm not gonna be getting any of these for a while. Gonna let shit sort itself out first.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal

I know it's Polygon, but still...

This means the idea of using Xbox One for tournaments would be insane. If that can happen, then I can only imagine how easy it would be for someone to grief a whole tournament by just shouting "XBOX PAUSE" and "XBOX OFF", at least, assuming they haven't somehow tightened up the voice recognition on the new Kinect (which, I sort of doubt that they have).

PCs still bsod? Haven't had one in the last five years.

This means the idea of using Xbox One for tournaments would be insane. If that can happen, then I can only imagine how easy it would be for someone to grief a whole tournament by just shouting "XBOX PAUSE" and "XBOX OFF", at least, assuming they haven't somehow tightened up the voice recognition on the new Kinect (which, I sort of doubt that they have).

And then CORN steals all your kinect cameras and you don't have any functioning rigs for next year's tournament.

Azure J

E3 is going to be a bloodbath.

I pretty much fully intend to lurk poverty chats while E3 goes down. I'll say hi to folks here, and in the Marvel/Skullgirls OTs, but fuck posting anywhere else. Shit's going to look like the DBZ History of Trunks special, people dying everywhere, places ransacked and rundown and mods shooting at everything that moves.

This. I'm not gonna be getting any of these for a while. Gonna let shit sort itself out first.

I want to say I'll do this, but damn that PSQuad hype is too strong. That and I'd like to actually do a day one console purchase just cuz. At least getting a Wii U later in the year is starting to look like an OK investment instead of a "nigga, what the FUCK are you doing" thing.

At least they know they're in trouble. MS is likely still oblivious.
Nintendo definitely knows now lol. I'm saying that before the product hits the market they are just plain clueless. Microsoft knows what they want and it's more than just games. They want to be the one stop shop whether you are going to watch a movie, television show or listen to music. They're willing to release a shitty game box if it means that they become to the entertainment center of the modern world.

I think the only difference between today's MS and last gen's Sony is that MS knows the pitfalls of their approach. They're not going to let themselves become the new launch PS3 case.

El Sloth

Banned
PCs still bsod? Haven't had one in the last five years.
I wouldn't want PCs to become the tournament standard because that is logistically tough for many reasons, but I found that to be a really poor argument against it. SC, SCII, LoL, Dota 2, all the various competitive FPS, etc. have all ran PC tournaments for years and years with no problem like this. Absolutely no reason to expect this to magically happen to fighters all of a sudden.

JeTmAn81

If it doesn't, you can safely bet a bunch of manufacturers are gonna make LOTS of money making 360/PS3--->PS4 converters.

Unless DRM makes converters impossible as with the current generation. Then we all get to buy new sticks or pay $80 to mod them, yay!

Nintendo should have done their regular E3 show. Not even they could fuck up worse than MS at this point.
That's what I thought last year, and then we got Nintendoland fireworks...

Meanwhile, the most exciting reveal they had, TW101, got attention only in a side interview. Nintendo should have put the PG relationship front and center.

Only console I ever bought on day 1 was the Dreamcast.
No regrets, even though the only title I could find in stores that day was Ready 2 Rumble.

kirblar

Nintendo definitely knows now lol. I'm saying that before the product hits the market they are just plain clueless. Microsoft knows what they want and it's more than just games. They want to be the one stop shop whether you are going to watch a movie, television show or listen to music. They're willing to release a shitty game box if it means that they become to the entertainment center of the modern world.

I think the only difference between today's MS and last gen's Sony is that MS knows the pitfalls of their approach. They're not going to let themselves become the new launch PS3 case.
Sony tried that last generation. They learned their lesson. Microsoft mistakenly believes they can make it work.

"When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact. - Warren Buffett"

This is what I was talking about, Enzo. The tech looks cool, but in reality it's just a pile of crap.

Beckx

That's what I thought last year, and then we got Nintendoland fireworks...

Meanwhile, the most exciting reveal they had, TW101, got attention only in a side interview. Nintendo should have put the PG relationship front and center.

They still haven't figured this out. Last ND should've been a KamiyaDirect, not a logo.

Top Bottom